ML to MQ upgrade

Anything Triton 2016+ related

ML to MQ upgrade

Postby Rienoh on Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:21 pm

Hey,

I have an ML which has been great but it m thinking about upgrading. I will be getting a MQ GLS manual with bars, lift, tyres, canopy, LR tank etc done straight up.

For people that have done this what are their thoughts?

Thanks
Rienoh

Re: ML to MQ upgrade

Postby BillMcQuade on Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:28 pm

have you driven the MQ yet? Might be worth doing as a first step. It will be quite different to the ML.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Rienoh on Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:14 pm

BillMcQuade wrote:have you driven the MQ yet? Might be worth doing as a first step. It will be quite different to the ML.

No not yet. Im not in a rush so will test drive them before making a decision.

Is your version of different better or worse?
Rienoh

Postby murwullambah on Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:41 pm

Good move mate, chalk and cheese I have the MQ GLS Auto, nice truck much more comfort compared to earlier models and at a good price. You should get one at a good price if you bargain hard.
murwullambah

Postby BillMcQuade on Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:52 am

Rienoh wrote:
BillMcQuade wrote:have you driven the MQ yet? Might be worth doing as a first step. It will be quite different to the ML.

No not yet. Im not in a rush so will test drive them before making a decision.

Is your version of different better or worse?

Neither, I'm just pointing out that testing vehicles is a very subjective thing, so what one person thinks is awesome, you might dislike.

The MQ has a totally different engine, so that's what prompted my comment.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Machine48 on Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:16 pm

The MQ suspension is rubbish so factor in a lift.

Bit of lag; the rest i like. :)
Machine48

Postby Rienoh on Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:13 pm

Machine48 wrote:The MQ suspension is rubbish so factor in a lift.

Already factored.

Thanks guys
Rienoh

Postby murwullambah on Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:06 am

When you say suspension is rubbish what do you mean as according to Mitsubishi it is improved over previous models, read extract from UK review below, why would they just put rubbish suspension in a new model.

Torsional rigidity in the all-new L200 Series 5 is 7 per cent greater than in its predecessor. This contributes to a significant improvement in handling and stability. Body roll, which has the effect of slowing down a vehicle's dynamic response, has been dramatically reduced on the new model, making it much more nimble.
The new L200 Series 5 has stiffer front springs, a larger suspension stabiliser bar and optimised damping characteristics. At the rear, the leaf spring suspension has been increased in length by 120mm.
murwullambah

Postby BillMcQuade on Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:36 am

murwullambah wrote:

When you say suspension is rubbish what do you mean as according to Mitsubishi it is improved over previous models, read extract from UK review below, why would they just put rubbish suspension in a new model.

Torsional rigidity in the all-new L200 Series 5 is 7 per cent greater than in its predecessor. This contributes to a significant improvement in handling and stability. Body roll, which has the effect of slowing down a vehicle's dynamic response, has been dramatically reduced on the new model, making it much more nimble.
The new L200 Series 5 has stiffer front springs, a larger suspension stabiliser bar and optimised damping characteristics. At the rear, the leaf spring suspension has been increased in length by 120mm.

The MN wasn't famous for it's high quality suspension, so even a 10% improvement doesn't cut the mustard. Admittedly, I have only driven 1 MQ, but I couldn't really feel any improvement in the handling. They are still undersprung and underdamped in the rear. Once those tiny shocks start getting hot, they may as well not be there.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby matt76 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:56 pm

Yes stability has been improved and it handles quite well, at the trade off of a rougher ride than I should be IMO.
matt76

Postby murwullambah on Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:09 pm

So basically it needs some better shocks/struts and springs, i am just deciding wether to do it now at 4000 kms or wait a while and get the use out of the factory suspension. Also will i notice a distinct improvement with new suspension, thinking og of doing front struts and springs and rear shocks keep it cheap at the moment.
murwullambah

Postby Machine48 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:34 pm

Yeah it is lovely on a smooth road; hit a bump and it jars through the whole car; horrible.

Even my kids commented on it!
Machine48

Postby murwullambah on Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:04 pm

Machine48 wrote:Yeah it is lovely on a smooth road; hit a bump and it jars through the whole car; horrible.

So if you put stiffer aftermarket suspension on how is it going to help?, i am just trying to get my head around the reason it is meant to be so bad, if you put on stiffer springs and better damping wont that make things harsher.
murwullambah

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:26 am

murwullambah wrote:
Machine48 wrote:Yeah it is lovely on a smooth road; hit a bump and it jars through the whole car; horrible.

So if you put stiffer aftermarket suspension on how is it going to help?, i am just trying to get my head around the reason it is meant to be so bad, if you put on stiffer springs and better damping wont that make things harsher.

Springs with improved spring rate, doesn't mean stiffer. Progressive springs work wonders on a vehicle.

Improved damping allows the vehicle to recover from oscillations quicker, and better shocks don't fade over sustained corrugations.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:41 am

The rear springs being 120mm longer may account for the 'dog dick' being fitted to some units, as the extra length while not huge will possibly allow more axle wrap.

They should have bit the bullet and gone coils.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Machine48 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:22 pm

murwullambah wrote:

Better quality doesn't mean stiffer. :)
Machine48

Return to General Discussion