MQ triton van towing

Anything Triton 2016+ related

MQ triton van towing

Postby hewy hacket on Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:55 am

Sorry if this has been asked, but i had a search and only found a few comments. I have a 2011 manual MN with which i tow a 2 ton Van and i have been reasonably happy, only issue is the turbo lag on take off. I was wondering if anyone can give feedback on a auto MQ for towing around 2 ton, as i would think the auto would negate the turbo lag issue. I am looking at getting a new car to trip around Aus and for value and warranty i dont think the triton can be beaten.
The grass is only greener where you water it.
hewy hacket

Re: MQ triton van towing

Postby chappy60 on Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:32 pm

You should have no problem towing 2t as my van fully loaded water etc goes close to 3t I have only taken it for a short trip but it pulls every bit as hard as my Lexus lx470 I fitted mine with an I drive [wind booster]
which seems to eliminate turbo lag and makes it more responsive
chappy60

Postby Rusty Iron on Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:43 am

I have a 10 x 5 1/2 trailer with an 1800mm high box built on top. As aerodynamic as a brick. Its a half motorbike carrier / half camper trailer and fully loaded goes just under 2t. I've towed it now for about 15000 kms. I found the best way to go is to stay in 4th gear at around 95 to 98 km/hr and just sit back and enjoy the ride.

The Triton will pull it in 5th gear no problem, but you'll find the torque converter won't stay locked up for long. Any small rise or head wind will make it unlock, and as a result, gearbox temps will be way higher than they need to be and you'll be wasting a lot of fuel. I have a Scanguage and the instant fuel usage readout shows time and time again that staying in 4th is usually around 20 to 30% better for fuel economy. The Scanguage also shows AT temps and although I don't think its very accurate for that, it certainly does show a rapid and dramatic rise in temperature when the converter unlocks. And that is not good for transmission longevity.

As far as turbo lag, it's still very much there in the auto. Its the one thing that really sh1ts me about the Triton but we have to be realistic. It's a little 2.4 four cylinder and there is just no substitute for cubic inches when it comes to lag. Console yourself with the fact that just about everything else about these cars is surprisingly good. And reliable. And using the sports shift cleverly (keeping the revs up around corners) will make a world of difference. Once I got used to that, I decided a chip or ECU remap is just not needed.

One problem I did have is my trailer has the rubber torsion bar suspension. Shook the daylights out of the car because it is so stiff. I solved that problem almost completely by getting an Air Shocker hitch. Just under a grand when shipped to Perth from Brisbane but worked brilliantly.

Go the auto, stay in 4th and you won't have anything to worry about.
Rusty Iron

Postby jaksbak on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:55 am

I have an MQ Exceed Auto towing a single axle 2.2 Tonne Van and it tows very well. I tend to keep it in constant 4WD and don't bother with torsion bars. Having said that, I experienced incredible winds on the first day I picked up the van (interstate) and I was a bit worried about the movement, but having got through that extreme day, everything is now a breeze and feels very stable.
Fuel consumption goes from approx 8.8 to 14 litres per 100Klm and the cruise control is more or less useless when towing such weights. It nonetheless tows very well. As a trial I hooked up another van at approx 3.5 tonne and it was not pleasant on country roads.
jaksbak

Postby robothefisho on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:30 am

I have only towed a 1.6 ton boat behind the base model dual cab with auto. I didn't think it was that good. I hooked the same up to a base model amarok dual cab in auto and it was much better.
robothefisho

Postby bigboots on Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:52 pm

Pulled a 2.5T full height van from Mildura to Broken Hill into a head wind and full consumption went from about 15L/100K to 30l/100K but when I spoke to garage owner in Broken Hill was told that this was normal. Road looked to be uphill but didn't realise how bad it was. New MQ on first run and pulled up about 20K short of Broken Hill. Thanks to others on CB who offered fuel but had NRMA on the road from Broken Hill. Bugger when gauges are not accurate.
bigboots

Postby snakesoup on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:25 pm

so you couldn't make it from Mildura to broken hill on a full tank? or was it not full?
snakesoup

Postby MrMaxi on Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:07 pm

Anyone do any van towing with a manual ? Im Looking to hire a van and go to Cairns from Melb im after some feedbck from others , the van is 2.3t
MrMaxi

Postby Spaceman on Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:25 pm

I have not pull a van but pull a car on a car trailer and would not like to start up hill as took a bit to get it moving a bit hard on the clutch. I think due to the very tall diff ratio in the manuals and the quite a jump in ratio's from 1st to 2nd
Spaceman

Postby shortSteve on Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:37 pm

MrMaxi wrote:Anyone do any van towing with a manual ? Im Looking to hire a van and go to Cairns from Melb im after some feedbck from others , the van is 2.3t

The gearing in the manuals is quite long, combined with a longer diff ratio than the auto and any gradient would be a recipe for clutch abuse. The grunt isn't so much the problem, it's keeping/getting the revs up enough to take off. The auto is a much better proposition.
shortSteve

Postby donks1 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:52 pm

jaksbak wrote:I have an MQ Exceed Auto towing a single axle 2.2 Tonne Van and it tows very well. I tend to keep it in constant 4WD and don't bother with torsion bars. Having said that, I experienced incredible winds on the first day I picked up the van (interstate) and I was a bit worried about the movement, but having got through that extreme day, everything is now a breeze and feels very stable.
Fuel consumption goes from approx 8.8 to 14 litres per 100Klm and the cruise control is more or less useless when towing such weights. It nonetheless tows very well. As a trial I hooked up another van at approx 3.5 tonne and it was not pleasant on country roads.

How do you even own a 2.2 single axle?? That would get smashed by RMS in NSW. Completely illegal. Does it even have brakes??

Steve
donks1

Postby bobski on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:45 am

Mirror the sentiments on towing in a manual. I recently towed a small excavator which I believe was around 2.2 ton total weight and first gear was incredibly sluggish - stalled a few times and I was basically dumping the clutch on a hill. TBH I'm a bit surprised as the Trusty has taken whatever else I've thrown at her. Once up and running, it towed just fine as long as you stay out of the torque hole below 1500rpm.

I have no experience towing caravans, but after this I'm rethinking using my manual MQ for long distance towing. It'd definitely be a chore.
bobski

Postby johno on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:26 am

I tow a small semi off road van, I have previously towed it with a ML manual with large tires and I have had no troubles sitting on the speed limit. The only time I have found it a bit hard is when some fool (for want of a better word :x ) has decided to overtake me (because it's a 4x4 towing a caravan) and slowed down right after, making me go down a gear and loose too many revs....damn annoying :evil:

As for towing with an auto.... I have only had a quick test run with the new auto triton towing the van.
I will be able to give you a very good idea how the autos tow soon, I am heading off for my first trip tomorrow (Tassie for 6 weeks).
My new triton is an exceed with the added advantage of paddle shift, it comes in handy when you are towing being able to go up and down through the gears when required.
Click to view larger picture

Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby chappy60 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:38 am

Just came back from a 550k round trip away averaged 16kl/h for the
trip towing 2.7t water tanks empty had no trouble sitting on 95-100 kl/h
kept it in auto mode and the torque converter stayed locked quite happy
with the vehicle it does what I want it to do
chappy60

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:01 am

Was behind an MQ towing a custom twin horse float and it was motoring along as if nothing was hooked up on the back. Obviously couldn't tell if an auto or not, but engine performance shouldn't be an issue.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby johno on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:32 am

I'm now a week and a half into my 6 week trip around and through Tassie and the auto exceed triton is pulling the van very nicely. The paddle change on the column is absolutely fantastic for using the auto box as a manual when towing.
Being able to go down a gear for corners, and hills comes in handy.
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby MrMaxi on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:55 am

I'm going to do trial run as we're hiring a van and doing east coast, if the manual mq isn't up to the task we're taking the Mrs car
MrMaxi

Return to General Discussion