Taking the center out of a DPF on MQ twin cab ute

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Taking the center out of a DPF on MQ twin cab ute

Postby ls2cruiser on Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:46 pm

Has anyone taken the center out of a Diesel Particulate Filter and refitted it just for show? It might be a good idea to have it look as if it is there in case a transport inspector checks it roadside. Of course the chiptuning type retuning and EGR delete would need to be done as well so the engine runs correctly with no engine lights showing.
Just wondering what members ideas are on this topic. I know there is a pipe that can be fitted in place of the DPF but if someone looks they can easily tell that it is not legal.
ls2cruiser

Re: Taking the center out of a DPF on MQ twin cab ute

Postby snakesoup on Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:52 pm

what do you have to gain by doing it?
snakesoup

Postby ls2cruiser on Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:56 pm

The gain is it still looks as if it is fitted and obviously it will not clog up as it has a big hole through it.
ls2cruiser

Postby snakesoup on Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:17 pm

do they clog up ? and then burn off? what's the issue ?
snakesoup

Postby ls2cruiser on Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:17 pm

If a road Qld transport inspection pulls us up in Qld and lifts the bonnet then it would be nice to have it look as if the DPF is fitted and working even if it is totally disconnected. There is a $10,000 fine in Qld if it taken off the vehicle. The same goes for taking off a catalytic convertor. We also take the guts out of them and refit them so they look as they are fitted and working. Gains are seen by increased air flow and they dont clog up as well. I am wondering if anyone has done this to a DPF.
ls2cruiser

Postby ls2cruiser on Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:21 pm

Yes eventually a DPF will clog up and or need replacing. Chiptuning already have tuning in place to bypass the DPF in the tune. I am asking if anyone has taken the center out of the DPF instead of replacing it with a piece of pipe as Chiptuning does as part of their DPF delete?
ls2cruiser

Postby ls2cruiser on Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:29 pm

The other benefits of DPF delete are the engine oil does not get diesel fuel mixed in with it which decreases the oils capabilities to lubricate the engine properly. You get better fuel economy and more power once the engine is retuned as well. The EGR is also deleted by Chiptuning as well at the same time which stops hot exhaust gas clogging up the intake manifold with carbon and also sending hot exhaust into the engine which also decreases power. So you gain many benefits from DPF delete and EGR delete. I am a mechanic and build race engines but i have had very little to do with DPF (filters).
ls2cruiser

Postby robothefisho on Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:05 pm

Any decent inspector would smell the difference and then go looking. Unlikely to be checked, but how would you feel coughing up the dosh...
robothefisho

Postby ls2cruiser on Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:31 pm

I am asking if anyone has done this and fitted it to their MQ Triton. I know that members have had the DPF delete completed. Yes i would not like the fine but the penalty is the same for the tuning delete if they can prove it. A lot easier to prove if there is a pipe there instead of the actual DPF unit with nothing inside it. They dont pull you car apart at the roadside. Knocking the guts out of the DPF is just an idea I had. Maybe not a good one but who knows.
ls2cruiser

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:05 am

ls2cruiser wrote:The same goes for taking off a catalytic convertor. We also take the guts out of them and refit them so they look as they are fitted and working. Gains are seen by increased air flow and they dont clog up as well.

The better solution is to fit a high flow cat. These offer virtually no restriction, don't clog up, and keep the vehicle legal.

As for punching the guts out of the CAT or DPF, it's a fools mission. Its very easy to tell if they have been punched using a digital thermometer, during a roadside inspection. The RMS are well aware of this "modification".

There is also a multi-wavelength camera which can tell what is coming out of your pipe, which is currently being tested for use in NSW, QLD and VIC. This will be set up similar to a mobile speed camera, and you will be pulled up after the test point for a full inspection. It also has the ability to be set up on a gantry over the road and test every vehicle that passes it, pinpoint the offending vehicle, and take a picture of your plate.

Technology :shock:
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sky Miner on Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:15 am

Personally I reckon the performance gains would be minimal for the effort n cost involved, not to mention the possible finds ect if you get caught' not much to gain really, if your worried about the DPF clogging over time there are plenty of DPF chemicals cleaners out there that can keep it in good condition and functioning the way it's supposed to for the life of the car.
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:05 am

Permanent roadside emission monitoring has presumably been used overseas for a number of years.

I still wonder how a concentration of exhaust could be pinned to a specific vehicle in a stream of traffic - everyone's output would be mixing into a continuous soup.

Ultimately a lot of the benefits of having a diesel are eroded by all the tack on garbage and special additives required on some. Our old pug307 had an additive tank which was designed to last around 100k - $400 for 3litres!

Another aspect that the greenie fraternity don't consider, is having extra hot components under vehicles in Australia, with its dry, long vegetation is a recipe for starting fires.

Back to subject - just give the unit a good run regularly as probably suggested in the user manual and all should be good.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ls2cruiser on Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:36 pm

Thanks Bill and others, gee technology alright . Wont be able to get away with anything soon lol. This was certainly one reason for me to ask the question and glad I did. Bill, Is your triton a MQ ? Hang on just saw it above is a MN. Do they just have a Cat fitted? I think they do so you have fitted a high flow one. Ok that makes sense to me and is all legal. There is the other mod for the egr from "Tony" which may be a good idea. I see there is a 47 page thread about the carbon in the intake manifold. Mine is about to go for the 1500km service so might get that done and then fit it lol . I will have another read of that thread. thanks all Russell
ls2cruiser

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:38 am

RHKTriton wrote:I still wonder how a concentration of exhaust could be pinned to a specific vehicle in a stream of traffic - everyone's output would be mixing into a continuous soup.

The camera operates on multiple spectrums, takes 500+ images a second, and the algorithm "tracks" the position of each vehicle's exhaust plume. It's surprisingly accurate, and can operate across 6 lanes travelling in the same direction.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stoneman on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:46 am

It won't be long for the revenue raising to start

It's in its testing stage by the looks of it

Looks like tunes will effect the out come......good times coming :cry:

https://www.der.wa.gov.au/our-work/prog ... monitoring
Stoneman

Postby ls2cruiser on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:17 pm

Thank you Stoneman . I had a read of the link. bugger!!!
ls2cruiser

Postby ls2cruiser on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:20 pm

I noticed the chiptuning website tells a few white lies lol
ls2cruiser

Postby ls2cruiser on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:46 pm

It might still be worth getting a tuner to stop the EGR from working and then giving a fuel economy tune and slight performance enhancement tune while leaving the DPF in place. I am not really interested in increasing performance apart from a bit more throttle response and torque. I would like to stop all that carbon from the EGR getting into the intake if possible. The exhaust I wont touch. Not much point in making it bigger with the handbrake (DPF) on the exhaust. Please if there any more comments please keep them coming as this new polution control on diesels is new to me.
ls2cruiser

Postby Stoneman on Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:30 am

ls2cruiser wrote:I noticed the chiptuning website tells a few white lies lol

I don't think it's ever been tested in the courts
That said I don't know anyone to cop a fine like mentioned nor read of anyone with a vechile maybe a truck....dunno
From what I know you get a warning to rectify the problem as there could be a number of issues that may cause the extra gases claimed
I'm in VIC so don't know about other places

I think the fine is in extreme cases only of negligence, not a road side on the spot fine.
Although some find it an important issues it's not a safety issue and any fine to that extreme is unjust IMO

When we had a certain chip on our NS Pajero we had problems during burns blowing smoke (the dpf cycle was getting an extra dose of fuel). During the time sorting the problem we had received a warning letter but NO action was needed or taken.
Stoneman

Return to General Discussion