Pajero Sport Auto in Triton

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Pajero Sport Auto in Triton

Postby Dilligara on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:30 am

I am hoping to see the 8speed Paj gearbox in the triton. Anyone heard any whispers? The current Triton auto is pretty ordinary.
Andrew - White MY17 Auto.
Dilligara

Re: Pajero Sport Auto in Triton

Postby TMR Performance on Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:25 am

Only conjecture, but it would make sense for a few reasons. Firstly, the Manufacturer needs to keep up with the market and market share. It's features and options that dictate market share as customers vote with their wallets.

Secondly, you'd have to look at Mitsubishi's previous history and it shows that technology has a rain down effect moving forward. My guess, and it's only a guess (educated of not) is that, that kind of upgrade (going to an 8spd auto) would be reserved for a major update, like ML to MN. MR Triton maybe? Something that substantial wouldn't be in a face lift model, and wouldn't come out so soon I'd wager either. I'd say it would be 4-5 years since the MQ came out, that you could expect that kind of upgrade. Again, this is based on Mitsubishi's previous history across the entire product range.

Manufacturer's always give themselves room to move in the marketplace, why else would be you buy the same car again when your lease has run out if it hadn't changed enough? That might not be you, but that kind of thinking makes up for a large percentage of the marketplace, and right now SUV's and Ute's make up well over 60% of the new vehicle market in Australia. Example, Pajero Sport. Currently, it doesn't have radar cruise, or an electric tailgate, something that competitors already have in the marketplace. If I was MMC I'd make sure my update Pajero Sport did include those options to keep my product in peoples minds as well as shopping lists, thus keeping my market share. Now, radar cruise might not be big on your radar (pardon the pun) but buyers are different these days, 'brand loyalty' isn't a big motivator these days. It's features the vehicle has, safety, tech, specs, price of ownership, cost of servicing and resale value. People aren't polarized by car brands like they used to be. You'd hardly turn your nose up at a new Kia these days, you would have 10-15 years ago, but times have changed....a LOT!

I've drifted away here from topic a little. But the architecture to support the Pajero Sports 8 spd is there in MQ Triton, so it wouldn't take much to adopt. I guess that could be a third reason as to why it'll come, simple ease of fitment at manufacture level. So, I wouldn't be suprized if it happens.

Again, all of that is only conjecture. I haven't heard anything official myself.

Having said all of that Andrew, I'd suggest the Auto in the MQ is a much nicer jigger than the MN, don't judge via a spec sheet, the proof is in the driving, also if you haven't already, drive a Pajero Sport. I did find the 8 spd a little 'busy' for my liking, but I didn't find the constant gear changes intrusive if that makes sense. I lived with both MQ Auto and Pajero Sport each for about 5,oookm before turning them over. Honestly, I didn't think one box was outstandingly better than another.
Team Mitsubishi Ralliart
TMR Performance

Re: Pajero Sport Auto in Triton

Postby Dilligara on Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:35 pm

Hi, thanks very much for your response. Appreciate it. And I remember TMR over many years of evos and even Magnas in Rallying.
Andrew - White MY17 Auto.
Dilligara

Return to General Discussion