fourth v fifth generation triton

Anything Triton 2016+ related

fourth v fifth generation triton

Postby jonoklynhans on Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:32 pm

Hi all

I own the 4th generation double cab Triton manual 4x4 version. it’s the 2.5l Diesel 131kw, 400nm spec. (I'm from South Africa) I think the like for like model in Australia is the GLS.. (I love it!)

I am an overlanding/off road enthusiast. I am in the process of deciding whether to buy the 5th generation triton (M/T) equivalent of the exceed.

I'm leaning toward keeping my 4th generation predominantly because I feel I can put the extra cash in mods(suspension, off roading accessories etc.) One of the main concerns is that the new generation does not come with a manual 4 wheel drive gear lever. (I had issues with my ford ute when getting stuck it required a few mm before it would make use of the low range transfer case) I get better sense of comfort from having the lever. Neither the refinement nor the interior improvements are a selling point to me. I don’t really want to worry about damaging my interior when I'm in the bush.

I know the classic off roaders (Landcruiser, defenders etc.) all are extremely simplistic and have the 4 wheel drive levers.

I was hoping that someone on the forum could provide some insight?

secondly, how can a mechanically improve the turbo lag/torque curve mechanically?
jonoklynhans

Re: fourth v fifth geenration triton

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:30 pm

It doesn't come with wooden spoked wheels shod with steel straps either.

I think you're worrying about something that isn't an issue. Mitsubishi have been using a full electronic shift control for the transfer case for about 18 years. In the Pajero (Gen 3 and Gen 4) it's disguised as a lever for the traditionalists but it's not a system which is known for causing any problems. Moving to a rotary dial/switch is probably even better, reducing the number of moving parts which, more so in the Triton, have given occasional problems. The electrical connections, outside the cab, are well made and protected and, again, more reliable than rods/levers and cables.

The only downside, if you could call it that, is that you must follow, exactly, the procedures to engage and disengage the locked centre mode and low range (rear diff lock too, if you have it). The days of being able manually control low range engagement, as could be done on the early Pajeros, are gone. This isn't a bad thing - the transfer case really isn't designed to be used as a crash box.

On these engines there is no simple, mechanical, means of reducing lag or improving torque. Everything is controlled by computers which is why either a re-write of the ECU or an aftermarket chip is usually the solution to these issues.

Welcome to the forum.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Re: fourth v fifth generation triton

Postby jonoklynhans on Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:59 pm

Thank for the input, its highly appreciated. Can I take it that your view is that the 5th generation triton is a superior off road Ute than the 4th?
jonoklynhans

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:31 am

Yes.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:15 am

Have heard of a few Fordaz having problems with the electric transfer control, the in-laws', but that's to be expected with ford stuff. :lol:

The electric operation of things is probably a combination of cost & weight saving, as well as making vehicle operation more 'idiot' proof.

You'd hope any new generation of a product would improve on the previous.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TMR Performance on Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:28 am

Couldn't agree more with what Chris has said.

I just hope that the keep the Electric Park Brake (EPB) of Pajero Sport away from the Triton, traditionally those systems aren't great, just ask anyone with a Disco.
Team Mitsubishi Ralliart
TMR Performance

Postby murwullambah on Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:35 pm

Sounds like you asked the question but have already made up your mind, having had both i would say the series 5 is the better vehicle, especially if you go the GLS or Exceed with super select gearbox.
murwullambah

Postby aids84 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:40 pm

I had a customer mention to me that he had disconnected one of the wheel speed sensors to disable the ABS on his MQ (he was doing some barrel racing on grass or something) and that it also disabled the selector for the transfer case. I haven't verified this myself but knowing how easily damaged the wheel speed sensor are damaged in the bush I wouldn't want to have my ability to select 4wd and low range diasbled.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby red dragin on Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:07 pm

TMR Performance wrote:Couldn't agree more with what Chris has said.

I just hope that the keep the Electric Park Brake (EPB) of Pajero Sport away from the Triton, traditionally those systems aren't great, just ask anyone with a Disco.

3 years with a Renault Koleos with one, without issue. Probably still worked after it got rear ended and shortened a foot! :)
2015 MN Triton Dual Cab 4x4 GLX

The wife is always complaining about it being too long.
They need to make bigger car parks :D
red dragin

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:40 pm

Nah, that's probably the friction of the guards wrapped around the wheels! :lol:

Nothing more reassuring pulling a lever! Twiddling knobs can be fun. Ha ha!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jcisne on Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:00 pm

aids84 wrote:I had a customer mention to me that he had disconnected one of the wheel speed sensors to disable the ABS on his MQ (he was doing some barrel racing on grass or something) and that it also disabled the selector for the transfer case. I haven't verified this myself but knowing how easily damaged the wheel speed sensor are damaged in the bush I wouldn't want to have my ability to select 4wd and low range diasbled.

I can confirm this. My pitbull puppy chewed one of the rear ABS lines on my MQ and the ABS light on the dash came permanently on, and the 4 wheel drive lights began flashing. The truck got stuck in 2wd (4H, 4Hlc and 4Llc did not work at all). So even though the 4x4 system is in theory mechanical, in practice a simple ABS sensor failure totally disables the whole system.
jcisne

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:52 am

That's a stupid design.

Losing the ABS sensor obviously affects traction and stability control, however whether you drive two or four wheels should t be part of the equation. Four wheel traction is also a safety feature.

Similar to situation when SRS light comes on, one air bag look causes alarm and disables whole system. You'd think maintaining functionality of as much of the rest of a system would be desirable.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Maxiy on Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:38 am

I can confirm that the ABS sensor does not affect 4wd selection the in MN (4th gen). i ripped out the rear ABS sesnor while four wheeling one weekend. 4wd selection still worked, just didnt have ABS braking, traction control or stability control.
Maxiy

Return to General Discussion