The Pick up that was not meant to be

Anything Triton 2016+ related

The Pick up that was not meant to be

Postby davo94 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:22 pm

Ordered a runout my16 triton gls manual about a fortnight ago as did the father in law who picked his up on Monday. Close to 85k turnover for the dealer.

The dealer finally secured one and it was delivered to the dealer yesterday. When speaking to the sales rep I asked about the kilometres that could be expected on the vehicle and we came to a figure of around 100.

So prior to pick up I specifically ask for black and white nsw rego plates with no dealer name on the actual plate.

I get to the dealer ship today around 130 and start going through the pick up process. Sales rep says just need you to sign a few documents for me. I say no and ask to inspect the vehicle. And so the saga begins.

I go outside wrong plates on the vehicle have dealer name written on the plate. Easy fix I think to myself. Look over the vehicle further and find a number of scratches, paint chips, bodgy touch up attempts, black marks on the paintwork, what appears to be dry bird dropping damage on the bonnet, scratches and scuffmarks all through the interior. Liquid stains on and in the centre console, brake dust on the wheels, cobwebs in the wheel spokes, in the tray, under the vehicle, water damage spots on the grill as well as paint chips and 215 kms on the odometer. I could go on.

As sales reps go they all say well this happens, that happens and I get to the dealer principle. "We can have stuff sprayed overnight."

I have refused to accept the vehicle and have demanded a replacement. Was so disappointed. The car has definitely been test driven a number of times and it's not new as requested. It's also April 2016 build, 10 months old ffs. I'm now pushing for an my17 with everything I ordered with the my16.

Sorry for the rant but so angry and the dealer in southern nsw. Pass off a demo as a new vehicle... I don't think so.

So be aware people dealers as we know will try and pull the wool over us.

I've given them until Monday lunchtime to fix it or the deal is off.
Last edited by davo94 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My17 GLS Manual. Impulse Blue
davo94

Re: The Pick up that was not meant to be

Postby snakesoup on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:21 pm

hearing these things really shits me off, I feel for you mate, it's rubbish, my mate bought a brand new sr5 hilux a couple of years back he said he wasn't going to accept it unless it had 0 klm on the clock as it otherwise wasn't new, he got what he asked for somehow I don't know but he said he got it.. how many ks were on the father in laws? and was it as it should be ?
snakesoup

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:45 pm

And car dealers always wonder why they are put in the 'lower than shark shit' category.

I was looking at a Sante Fe a few years back and we took a demo for a spin (had 4k on the clock). Started costing out a new one but couldn't get to the required monthly. While loading up the demo vehicle with some gear a couple of weeks later to see if I could work with it, I suggested the demo may be worth considering. They offered about a thousand off new cost for a unit that now had 8k on the clock!

Best encounter has been when I was looking at the Triton - in summary, the dealer wanted he to fork out over $ 600 for them to ship a suitable unit from another dealer! :lol:

Good onya Davo for sticking it to them.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby davo94 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:19 am

Snakesoup
No issue with the father in laws as such. Had delivery kms on it. There was a bit of an issue in relation to sourcing an original tow bar but that was resolved rather quickly when the father in law made told the manager a few home truths.

Wife and I had done out deal about 3 days prior. The father in laws white one wasn't in stock when we did our deal. I went with the father in law for his deal and had to physically point out that they had one in stock as I could see it from the new car lot. The manager wasn't even aware until I pointed it out.

I've found two at dealers in Sydney and I'll make a few calls today.
Last edited by davo94 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
davo94

Postby snakesoup on Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:44 am

good luck with it mate, don't sign the line untill your 100% happy
snakesoup

Postby red dragin on Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:57 am

snakesoup wrote:hearing these things really shits me off, I feel for you mate, it's rubbish, my mate bought a brand new sr5 hilux a couple of years back he said he wasn't going to accept it unless it had 0 klm on the clock as it otherwise wasn't new, he got what he asked for somehow I don't know but he said he got it.. how many ks were on the father in laws? and was it as it should be ?

To keep the k's at 0 they just leave it in transport mode (ie odometer off) until it's parked ready for pick up. Probably breaking a road law driving it around but chances of being caught are low, and no buyer is going to dob them in.
2015 MN Triton Dual Cab 4x4 GLX

The wife is always complaining about it being too long.
They need to make bigger car parks :D
red dragin

Postby snakesoup on Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:26 am

ahh there ya go
snakesoup

Re: The Pick up that was not ment to be

Postby davo94 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:50 pm

Well after a day of ringing around We've all but decided to pull the deal.

Found an MY17 16 build closer to me and at a better price.

Bring on monday be great to tell the dealer where to go.

From the advice I've been given on the situation I should have no trouble receiving my deposit back.
davo94

Postby WUNSIE on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:35 am

When we were looking around at the Tritons last year prior to getting the one we got now, we were wandering thru the Mitsi dealer in Newcastle and fair dinkum the vehicles on display were absolutely filthy, how in hell could supposedly undriven NEW cars have so much brake dust, stones caught in tyres,scuff marks all over the plastic scuff plates, grass, dirt thru out! and the salesmans reply we will detail them prior to pick up, some of them just don't give a rats, you think if that's how you treat a new car, how the bloody hell are you going to treat it once I own it and bring it back for a service :?
Mate if you don't like what you see, speak up and tell them straight and walk away and don't look back ;)
WUNSIE

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:04 pm

I don't like how new cars (and this applies to just about every brand/dealership) can be stored at the docks out in the open, usually near sea water, then possible sit in a bulk storage yard somewhere, to finally sit in the dealer yard, the whole outdoor exposure can be up to several months!

Irrespective if you eventually leave it outside once acquired, a 'new' vehicle should have a clean coat of black underneath, without surface rust, no mould on any rubbers, no marks and at least stored under cover until sold.

Years ago when I bought my first Commodore it was covered in protective goop with plastic film on some bits prior to dealer predelivery work, and that was one shipped from Dandenong to Morwell, not half way round the world! :lol:

White goods get more respect than cars costing over ten times as much.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby davo94 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:07 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys.

The only thing I'm worried about is getting back my deposit. Ive had a look at the fine print and it mentions damage and being not as described and I am within my right to refuse it and request a replacement. In this case I don't want a replacement from the dealer and I want nothing more to do with the dealer.

Any advice?

Oh and just in case you guys are wondering. This is not a "change of mind" type thing. They've presented essentially a second hand car which is a long way off new. I had every intention in going through with the purchase before I found the defects on the vehicle. There is more to it as you can probably guess and one of the main factors was how the sales rep, Manager and dealer principal handled it. I didn't rant and rave (Not that sort of person) but I did make it very clear that I was not going to accept the vehicle under any circumstances.
davo94

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:59 pm

I would just be insisting that you get a vehicle that is what you ordered. Might be easier to wait a short while and get what you want, rather than get into a legal stoush. Try and screw them for some extras as compensation.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:42 pm

Cooling off period?

Do they want a free plug on Current Affairs? :lol:

Even if they offer something else, what level of trust/confidence can you have continuing with a transaction?

I would think even for the dealer's piece of mind (assuming one exists) it would be easier to hand back the deposit and tear up the contract.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby davo94 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:02 am

The cooling off period is 24 hrs and thats in relation to changing you mind.

Well in a couple of hours time we'll find out I guess
davo94

Postby Dilligara on Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:20 am

davo94 wrote:The only thing I'm worried about is getting back my deposit. Ive had a look at the fine print and it mentions damage and being not as described and I am within my right to refuse it and request a replacement. In this case I don't want a replacement from the dealer and I want nothing more to do with the dealer.

Any advice?.
Yes - two things:
Firstly you cannot "contract out of Statutory warranties". What that means is the contract cannot override your rights in lw, the most fundamental of which, is "as described and fit for purpose" I think you should read
http://consumerlaw.gov.au/files/2015/06/ACL_framework_overview.pdf
before you talk to the dealer.
Secondly be calm, I have never seen anyone win an argument by being the loudest person.
Andrew - White MY17 Auto.
Dilligara

Postby davo94 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:28 am

Thanks heaps for the info.

Id say after reading the info on the consumer law and fair trading, the goods/car delivered is not as described.

As far as the calm bit. Not that sort of person. I know it gets you no where.

Again thanks for the advice. Hopefully I'll have some good news by lunch time.
davo94

Postby davo94 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:33 pm

Well we're back and have settled on an my17 from another dealer. December 2016 build.

The former dealer aka arse holes didn't budge, didn't offer anything to resolve the issue. They wouldn't accept that the vehicle was damaged and therefor they claim no grounds as they claimed that the issues with the vehicle would be resolved with a detail.

I sought advice from the department of fair trading and another person in the car game where they explained the process of lodging a dispute. To say the least it's a lengthy and time consuming process, months possibly. First stage letter to the dealer seeing resolution in a time period. Second mediation, third tribunal.
The dealer principal stated that we were obligated to pay 5 percent of the purchase price to get out of the deal. So roughly 2 grand plus our deposit. Had a look at the fine print and its there

I said no and we went backward and forward with this.

So eventually after 2 hours we settled on a figure which I paid which in turn got me away from the pathetic excuse of a dealership. It was funny when I asked for a copy of the revised contract it was sorted soon after.

Some of you might think I should have stood my ground a bit more but in all honesty I was so over arguing with these morons I got to a stage where I couldn't be bothered. Yes it cost me a bit. Ill give it a bit and I might lodge a complaint with DOFT.

Now hopefully in roughly two weeks we'll be in a new triton

Geissler motors Goulburn. Avoid at all costs
davo94

Postby Jason91 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:04 pm

Even the name sounds dodgy. Sorry about your luck mate. Some places are just full of scum bags. Unfortunately how dealerships treat cars is disgraceful
Jason91

Postby davo94 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:27 pm

Oh and Mitsubishi Australia (forum member) if you have been/are reading I have photographs just in case you would like to see them.
davo94

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:24 pm

I suppose one warning out of this, read all the documents, as painful as they are, before signing anything.

Also highlights that the paperwork has gone out of control.

Good luck with the new ride.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby davo94 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:11 am

Well if you think things could get any worse they have. The father in laws auto triton at 1500kms has developed a major oil leak from the heat exchange/oil cooler on the side of the block. At least 2 weeks wait. I had a look under it and I looks like a front diff out job.
davo94

Return to General Discussion