Tailgate sealing kit.

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Tailgate sealing kit.

Postby DaveXT on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:39 am

HI all, does anyone know where I can obtain a tailgate sealing kit for my MQ.
Thanks in advance.
DaveXT

Re: Tailgate sealing kit.

Postby ag9111 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:00 am

Have you tried Mitsubishi?
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Belbrook on Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:33 pm

I got one for my mn.
It wasnt compatible with mitsubishi tub liner so the monkeys at the dealer took to my liner with a sabre saw.
I Dont go to that dealer anymore.
Dunno if its relavent but might be a question to ask.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Not bad for an old bloke
Belbrook

Postby DaveXT on Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:02 pm

Thanks Guys, I don't have a tub liner and I'll ask Mitsubishi if they can supply a kit.
DaveXT

Postby Ray57MQ on Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:10 pm

Asked the question few weeks back, dealer said nup...not yet for the MQ - but going to ring few other dealers interstate as they may have some idea.
Also googled, someone in Perth mentioned they can be bought online from Thailand's equivalent to Autopro, Repco etc.
Found a few eBay sellers over there selling other MQ accessories so might flick a few msg's off - will post here if any success.
( I would assume the Thai MQ body/tailgate is exactly the same as the imported ) anyone know ??
Don’t take life so seriously, it isn’t permanent
Ray57MQ

Postby pyrah on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:58 pm

Think ARB advertise a tailgate selling kit with the MQ canopy maybe they will sell separately
Tha' can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha' can't tell 'im much
pyrah

Postby WUNSIE on Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:11 pm

Have a squiz at Clarke Rubber, the different seals, door rubbers they sell and its by the metre :!:
WUNSIE

Postby Ray57MQ on Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:53 pm

DaveXT wrote:HI all, does anyone know where I can obtain a tailgate sealing kit for my MQ.
Thanks in advance.

Hey DaveXT any luck yet ?, As in my post earlier, contacted ARB today about my canopy quote for the MQ and was told the kits for canopies don't include the MQ (and Ranger apparently) so only for Isuzu, Mazda Nissan etc and kits they use are in several pieces.
Since then found seller on EBay that have the multi piece kits (assume they are the same ?)
If pieces not long enough then might do as WUNSIE suggested - Clark Rubber etc and cut to suit.
But will add the eBay link also later tonight....
Ray57MQ

Postby DaveXT on Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:19 pm

Thanks Ray
DaveXT

Postby chappy60 on Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:02 am

I was getting the MQ serviced yesterday and asked the question and was
told that TJM do a kit now will have to check it out
chappy60

Postby Ray57MQ on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:26 pm

Contacted the suppliers I mentioned in my previous post's and no luck - nothing for the MQ's.
One supplier has them for Nissan, Isuzu, Mazda & said buy couple kits and cut to suit - good onya..!
So Iooks like I'm going with my plan B and see what profiles Clark Rubber have - probably after I go to all the trouble every man and his dog will sell them for the MQ :lol:

** chappy60,. I rang TJM today, told me they don't have for MQ either - only for the Ranger & BT-50 ( supplied to them by Aeroklas) to go with their canopies...and said $500 a set ! :shock: not sure if he made mistake but doubt it...so the cheapies on eBay @ $60-$95 for multi piece sets for some models probably worth the try ?
Ray57MQ

Postby chappy60 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:24 am

Thankyou for that I could not find anything on there website but there demo
vehicle is a MQ Triton well it was at the caravan show on the Gold Coast with
all the goodies put on it
chappy60

Postby Ray57MQ on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:34 am

chappy60 wrote:Thankyou for that I could not find anything on there website but there demo
vehicle is a MQ Triton well it was at the caravan show on the Gold Coast with
all the goodies put on it

Ok, maybe they are in the process of including the MQ in there range soon then ? just have to wait...
I'm in the process of sorting a canopy but wanted to have the seal in place prior or fit asap.
Ray57MQ

Postby DaveXT on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:39 pm

I asked at ARB head office today and they told me there was no point sealing them as you can not seal a tub, WTF.
DaveXT

Postby Ray57MQ on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:56 pm

DaveXT wrote:I asked at ARB head office today and they told me there was no point sealing them as you can not seal a tub, WTF.

:roll:. Should have asked why some of their outlets are selling something where there's no point....
Ray57MQ

Postby Saliya on Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:17 am

Newbie here on the forum. Got my GLS in white in March. Did a trip to Mungo NP with the ute (soft cover at the back). The dust ingress was horrendous. Went to Clarkes rubber as mentioned here and got extruded rubber with an adhesive strip. Ran it over the edge of the tub. Also had to add a bit at the bottom corners of the tailgate as the gap was HUGE. Dust and water ingress issue mostly solved. There's probably a vent hole close to the sport bar that brings in dust from the front. I'm trying to track this down to block it.
Saliya

Postby WUNSIE on Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:43 pm

When it came to sealing around the Sports Bar and also around the front edge of the tarp support ( the aluminium piece ) I got a bit of High Density sealing foam strip with adhesive on one side, lowered the tailgate, jumped into the tray with the tarp in place and the few places that needed sealing done that and all good, just my 2 bobs worth of info, Cheers
WUNSIE

Postby beej75 on Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:38 pm

Saliya wrote:Went to Clarkes rubber as mentioned here and got extruded rubber with an adhesive strip. Ran it over the edge of the tub. Also had to add a bit at the bottom corners of the tailgate as the gap was HUGE. Dust and water ingress issue mostly solved. There's probably a vent hole close to the sport bar that brings in dust from the front. I'm trying to track this down to block it.

Would love to see some pics if you have the time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
beej75

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:50 pm

I think the corrugated section of the floor panel is open to the underside of the tub at the front end to allow drainage.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Merts on Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:01 am

RHKTriton wrote:I think the corrugated section of the floor panel is open to the underside of the tub at the front end to allow drainage.

Yes it definitely is. I blocked those holes with sealant prior to the canopy and drawers being fitted.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:28 pm

Only way to guarantee keeping dust out - put your stuff in the tub, shut the lid and either silastic around the gaps or gaffer tape. :lol:

I'm still cheesed off with amount of dust that gets in the cab - even with the air filter.

I've considered extending the cabin relief vents into the tub to provide positive pressure in it to help keep dust out basically extending the flow through ventilation.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Merts on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:37 am

Link below to my build thread, with photos of what I did to seal up around the tailgate on my MQ.

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=19812&start=25
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:50 am

you are best to try and seal up around the rear tailgate.

but try and allow positive "clean" air in from the front

the more you try and completely eliminate dust the more you will actually get in (seems stupid but this is the truth) as it gets sucked in and the tub flexes enough and it is near impossible to seal every little possible source.

if you can open the front window of the canopy or fit a vent at the front of the canopy, vent is available from ARB or marine shops, you might still get a slight coating of dust, but you get this in the cabin of the triton anyway

Clark rubber has a extruded rubber which contains steel which can be "squeezed" to the lip on the sides and acts as a great seal (may even have to adjust the tailgate locks as it may not close proper) also sticky stuff for the lower edge, so may need a few types at different places to achieve the best result
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby beej75 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:36 pm

What if you're not installing a canopy, and just want to keep dust out of a tray which has a roller top lid? I'm assuming it'll still need sealing, but is the situation as​ severe with both a smaller volume of storage and a lesser suction effect at the rear of the vehicle?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
beej75

Postby Enid_Triton on Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:40 am

I got the gap at the bottom & sides sealed OK but I have been trying to seal the gap in the top corners of the tailgate.I have a canopy & wanted to get it all sealed but I have given up.
I have even riveted in pieces of shaped aluminum to hold the sealing rubber, but it is pretty much impossible because the MN Triton tailgate is a POS. The Tailgate inside profile doesn't even look like it was made for the Tub opening, it's too small.
I think that Mitsubishi must have just grabbed a tailgate from some other vehicle they had laying around & bolted some hinges on it then made the outside skin fit the Triton Tub shape.
It a pretty pathetic design.
The only way to do it would be to glue large blocks of ugly looking foam in the corners.
Enid_Triton

Return to General Discussion