Munji EGR causing engine shake on shutdown

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Re: Munji EGR causing engine shake on shutdown

Postby Heath72 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:35 am

Got mine fitted, and have had no notable change in the way it shuts down :D
Heath72

Postby YTO on Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:17 pm

Mine is from chip tuning. Installed since new along with catch can and haven’t notice anything. But took both off for service just in case.
YTO

Postby mq18 on Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Been using a Chip Tuning EGR delete for a couple of weeks now on 2018 MQ Glx. No problems or warning lights though takes slightly longer to turn off engine when ignition killed. Catch can going on as soon as 1500km inspection done.
mq18

Postby Heath72 on Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:03 pm

mq18 wrote:Been using a Chip Tuning EGR delete for a couple of weeks now on 2018 MQ Glx. No problems or warning lights though takes slightly longer to turn off engine when ignition killed. Catch can going on as soon as 1500km inspection done.

Does this one differ from the Munji unit or they both the same?
Heath72

Postby bigboots on Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:14 pm

Fitted the Munji unit to MQ a couple of days ago and no problems in both country and city driving. Seems to have reduced turbo lag but haven't noticed any fuel economy changed. Used when towing a 2700kg caravan in strong winds so very difficult to see if there was any change in economy. Economy gauge on instrument display was showing 14.5L/100k when arrived at destination.
bigboots

Postby no_more_fg_falcon on Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:19 pm

Hi

Had my 2018 MQ for a few weeks. Odometer just passed 2000 km.

I've just installed the Crisp Mods EGR delete cable from Munji. Here are my observations.

I do get a noticeable engine shake on shutdown now, so I did a bit of testing. Using an ELM327 and Torque Pro app for Android, I discovered the following:

Ambient temp was about 16 deg, both tests were done with the engine warmed up, and a/c turned off (for a consistent idle speed)

Without EGR delete cable:

At idle, the "EGR Commanded" value varied, but seemed to maintain an average of about 60%, and "Throttle Position Manifold" closed itself down to about 30%. Both of these values fluctuated with the engine idling, I assume that the ECU is constantly adjusting and compensating for running conditions. On engine shutdown (key off), the EGR value remained at the same position (60%), and the "Throttle Position Manifold" value quickly dropped to 0%. Fuel consumption reported by the app averaged 2.1 L/h during idle.

With EGR delete cable:

During idle, "EGR Commanded" value stayed at 0%. Without moving at all, including remaining at 0% on engine start and shutdown. "Throttle Position Manifold" remained at 100% during engine idle, and dropped to 0% as the engine was shut down. Fuel consumption reported by the app increased to an average of 5 L/h during idle with the mod installed (due to more oxygen in the cylinder needing more fuel maybe? Still new to diesel so I don't know) See edit below

My Theory:

The ECU appears to be programmed to shut the engine down using the following algorithm: (When key is turned off)

Throttle position fully closes to choke engine off
EGR remains open at its current commanded position to cause 100% exhaust gas to be inhaled due to the manifold vacuum caused by the closed throttle.
Fuel injection stops (obviously)
Engine stalls due to both suffocation and a lack of fuel.

With the engine idling and using about 60% EGR (without the delete mod), the engine is suffocated by the closed throttle, and open EGR, which will draw nothing but inert exhaust gas into the engine. Engine stalls quicker.

With the EGR delete mod present, engine is stalled through manifold vacuum and fuel cut only. The intake air that remains as the vacuum builds while the engine is stalling is still 100% fresh air with no exhaust gas present. Result is that the engine takes slightly longer to stall, as it is effectively stalling due to lack of fuel only.

I still want to do more of my own testing, but for now I'm satisfied that the rough shutdown isn't going to cause any damage. The mod just causes slightly different engine shutdown behavior, as the engine is not stalled through EGR, but vacuum and fuel cut only.

Hope my explanation is easy to understand.
Last edited by no_more_fg_falcon on Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2018 MQ GLX+ / 6MT / Bridgestone AT D697 / TJM: Tradesman bullbar | Rear Step Bar | XGS suspension
no_more_fg_falcon

Postby no_more_fg_falcon on Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:04 am

Just as an update to my post above
Not really relevant to this topic but since I mentioned it
After driving for about an hour with the scantool attached and the EGR cable ON, the idle fuel consumption has now stabilised to roughly the same fuel consumption (~2.1L/h). Not sure why it was registering higher initially.
2018 MQ GLX+ / 6MT / Bridgestone AT D697 / TJM: Tradesman bullbar | Rear Step Bar | XGS suspension
no_more_fg_falcon

Postby bigboots on Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:16 pm

Just completed about 1500Km towing a 2700Kg caravan around Southern Victoria and noted that there was some engine shudder on shutdown on some occasions, but not all. So far I haven't been able to determine just what the conditions were before shudder occurred on shutdown but that may be difficult as conditions are never the same when touring and it's often difficult to remember what the variables were. When towing I try to keep the speed at about 90Km/h as that seems to be the most economical. What I have noticed though is that the turbo lag seems to have disappeared which is great when towing a caravan and you are trying to turn into a traffic lane.
bigboots

Postby Triton14 on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:54 pm

I just bought a Munji for my MQ, I had noticed the shot down shutter but even before I read this thread I had to take it out again as I had to go back to the dealer for some warranty work which came about post the final service before the warranty ran out.

During the regular scheduled service they had to do an EGR clean out of all the relative bit which cost me $500, not happy Jan!

Straight after that I set to get the Munji & also got a HDP catch can which I installed a couple of days ago.
So interested to see what the can catches with the Munji & without.

Anyway I digress.

So after refitting the Munji I noticed shudder wasn't as bad but I did notice it was worse when I ran the aircon on a hot day?? Maybe coincidental??

I also have been turning the aircon off several minutes before I arrive at destination & also letting the car idle for 60 seconds before shut of to let the turbo cool slightly, seems to reduce it but still a little there.

If it stays at what it is I can live with it as from what others have said I don't think it doing any real damage, the only thing I think it could do is stress the engine mounts??
Triton14

Postby no_more_fg_falcon on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:40 am

Triton14 wrote:So after refitting the Munji I noticed shudder wasn't as bad but I did notice it was worse when I ran the aircon on a hot day?? Maybe coincidental??

I also have been turning the aircon off several minutes before I arrive at destination & also letting the car idle for 60 seconds before shut of to let the turbo cool slightly, seems to reduce it but still a little there.

If it stays at what it is I can live with it as from what others have said I don't think it doing any real damage, the only thing I think it could do is stress the engine mounts??

When the a/c compressor is engaged, the ECU increases the engine idle. Shutting down the engine at fast idle will take slightly longer as it was at a higher RPM.

Also, I strongly doubt it'd stress the engine mounts. Those mounts would face much higher forces during day to day driving.

I really don't think it would be doing any engine damage, older diesels have been shutting down roughly since diesel has been a thing.

My 7000km MQ has had the same Munji EGR cable since just past 1000km, and I haven't had any issues with it.
no_more_fg_falcon

Postby colin b on Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:39 pm

I fitted the Munji EGR disabler to my MN a few months ago and have not noticed any significant change in the engine's performance.

What I have noticed is that I no longer have those big, billowing clouds of black smoke coming out of the exhaust when towing the caravan. I think my fuel consumption may have improved slightly but I need a few more tankfuls of fuel to be sure of that.
Try not: Do or do not, there is no "try". (Jedi Master Yoda)
colin b

Postby Nickmqtriton on Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:08 am

I've installed a chip tuning cable and just wondering how do you know if it's working? I've read things about the temp display showing 5 degree etc, but I've got none of that going on.
Nickmqtriton

Postby Enid_Triton on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:58 pm

I have one on my old MN GLX manual and don't have any issues with it whatsoever. The old girl runs a bit quieter (engine rattle wise) but I haven't noticed that it runs any cooler as some are saying. The biggest noticeable difference I have found with it installed is that the Triton smells of diesel more than it used to, especially at start up (it reeks).
Seems to have a bit more get up & go, but that could be the placebo effect, anyway the increase is nothing to write home about.
Now, my mate has one on his MN GLX triton built in the same month as mine & the only difference is that his is an Automatic and his revs a little more at start up when its cold, but it runs like a hairy goat at shutdown.
His sounds like it has pre-ignition and the motor shakes the cab & sometimes keeps running on for about 5 seconds after the key has been turned off.
If he disconnects the cable everything runs sweet again.
Hopefully mine is doing what its supposed to because and if it wasen't for the extra diesel smell I would have no idea if it was working or not
Enid_Triton

Postby Enid_Triton on Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:22 pm

Sorry for the double up but I couldn't edit the above post.
I decided to remove the Munji EGR Delete cable because the performance gain (with my vehicle) was just a placebo effect as I thought it might have been. As I wrote above I have been using it for a few months without any issues other than a stronger diesel smell than before.
Anyway,I had to take the egr delete cable off to go to Mitsubishi Service last Friday (about 15 km away at the end of a motorway)and low & behold the old girl was noticeably a lot better (performance wise) without it. I did notice that after about 10K's she seemed to rattle a bit more (like it used to) but it definitely is quite a bit more responsive without the cable fitted.
So that is another product to add to my ever growing bad investment list
Enid_Triton

Postby Monaro03 on Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:22 pm

Hi all

I have noted the varied findings from each persons experiences. The one thing that does interest me and no one seems to have touched on this is, (in particular MN drivers), has the clogging in the manifold stopped? For me the biggest benefit was that without placing plates and having warning lights fire on.

cheers
Monaro03

Postby jrs184 on Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:04 pm

why not install a discrete switch on the Munji to turn it off and allow stopping to proceed under the egr vaccum and fuel cutoff etc as designed then after stopping flick the switch to activecdelete mode ready to start and run again...
jrs184

Postby Monaro03 on Sun May 12, 2019 11:06 am

Munji has now done a recall as they have discovered that it does not fully work on new 3.2L in Pajero. Not sure if this is allso for MQ Tritons.....

I have taken a screen shot of the email.
http://prntscr.com/nnes9b

cheers
Monaro03

Postby Longranger1 on Sun May 12, 2019 4:19 pm

I did my own egr delete resistor mod ages ago. $0.08 2k ohm resistor works well.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby lukeyboy2014 on Wed May 15, 2019 2:02 pm

Monaro03 wrote:Munji has now done a recall as they have discovered that it does not fully work on new 3.2L in Pajero. Not sure if this is allso for MQ Tritons.....

I have taken a screen shot of the email.
http://prntscr.com/nnes9b

cheers
just brought one for the MR a few days ago if i new the old one wasnt working probably out of the mn i would sent it back for a swap

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
lukeyboy2014

Postby L200Shogun on Thu May 16, 2019 10:28 am

From a post on here. Not sure I would use it but ymmv. MQ Munji
Click to view larger picture
L200Shogun

Postby lukeyboy2014 on Thu May 16, 2019 10:41 am

L200Shogun wrote:From a post on here. Not sure I would use it but ymmv. MQ Munji
Click to view larger picture
whats ever ones thoughs on this munji

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
lukeyboy2014

Postby jstoeckli on Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:07 am

I would like to know about the munji or other brands too. Also still trying to decide whether this or catch you can or both is best option because there are so many conflicting opinions
jstoeckli

Postby BBP on Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:06 pm

jstoeckli wrote:I would like to know about the munji or other brands too. Also still trying to decide whether this or catch you can or both is best option because there are so many conflicting opinions

I'd fit the catch can regardless. Its passive so no impact on engine and no harm in having it. We all know what usually happens without one.
I fitted both shortly after the initial service when I got the MQ new July 2018. Took it to Townsville a few days later.
What I found was;
Without Munji cable car had better pickup once revs up but more lag off idle. Much more likely to bog down if floored.
With Munji cable less lag but felt a bit "flat", also noted difference in fuel consumption (according to the display) as much 2lt/100. Could just be the way the car is reporting consumption as that display is not accurate, but then neither is the scanguage II I have fitted.
I am of two minds about the virtue of having it fitted. I might run two complete tanks through the car with and without cable to really get an idea of any real fuel consumption difference. I find the MQ not that great on fuel anyway

Rob
BBP

Postby Enid_Triton on Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:22 pm

I am of two minds about the virtue of having it fitted. I might run two complete tanks through the car with and without cable to really get an idea of any real fuel consumption difference. I find the MQ not that great on fuel anyway
Well I did another test with the Munji EGR Delete fitted to the mn on a trip to Sydney. I used BP fuel all the way there & back to Bris.
My mn definitely runs better without it connected. It has better pickup and is more responsive to quick throttle changes. It seems to use a little less fuel too.
It blows tons of smoke (& I mean a lot) under load with the munji EGR Delete fitted especially with a sports CAT and dump pipe, which I have. When I checked the spare for air before I headed back home I had to have a wash because of all the soot under the back & all over the spare. It does not do this without it fitted, so I know it's working.
My fuel economy seems to be a little better without it too.
I think I will just pull the manifold off it every now & then & clean it with Heavy duty chemicals & a blow torch if I keep the MN for much longer. Its not a big job, just dirty.
Here is one thing I have noticed more than anything else, my MN has a 2 & a half inch exhaust, High flow stainless Muffler, High flow catalytic converter & a 3" Dump pipe. Now, without the EGR Delete fitted you can hear the Turbo spool up through 1st, 2nd & third gears (sounds great) . But with the EGR delete fitted the Turbo doesn't make a sound.
Enid_Triton

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:07 pm

I think we're getting a little confused here about models. BBP is talking MQ while Enid_Triton is talking about MN.

Not only are the engines completely different, so are the EGR systems.

In the MQ the EGR is linked to a number of other engine management systems. This is the reason why no-one has really come up with a simple defeat mechanism. Putting a Munji (or similar) cable on an MR/MQ is likely to have side effects.

However, on the MN the system is much simpler and the defeat mechanisms do work. Since they don't have any effect on other systems and the EGR only operates in specific conditions, fitting one, properly, will have zero effect on the sound of the turbo spooling up, noting that the EGR does not operate under such conditions of acceleration.

Blowing black smoke means that you're overfuelling and, again, this has nothing to do with the EGR. My Pajero has the same type of turbo as the MN and the fuel delivery system is very similar. It was one of the test vehicles when the EGR defeat system was first being developed and quite careful attention was paid to effects on other systems. There was absolutely no difference to the exhaust under load and a very small improvement in fuel consumption. We were not able to measure or notice any other difference, except that shutdown did take a moment longer as the throttle valve doesn't operate the same way.

If you're experiencing noticeable differences as you describe then I'd be looking at other things. For example, does the vehicle have a tune? Changing parameters from what's factory set can make a difference if those changes rely on input from a sensor that's now been effectively disabled and is giving the ECU a load of bull.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion