Wiring addition and tidy-up

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Wiring addition and tidy-up

Postby Bitsamissing on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:15 pm

"Don't you just hate that?"

I was buying some crimp lugs from the local auto electrician and he asked me what the project was. I said it was to tidy up the wiring because everything that had ever been added to the car was wired straight to the battery. That was his response.

My MQ is fairly new so it wasn't too bad with only four extras wired straight to the battery, but I wanted to add a red Anderson plug (for caravan stability control) and a VSR for the grey one so I thought a tidy-up was in order. The existing extras were: grey Anderson plug, electric brake controller, canopy light and power to the 7-pin trailer socket.
Click to view larger picture

I bought a 6-way fuse block with bus bar from Jaycar and made up a panel to mount it along with the 50A fuse and VSR for the grey Anderson plug. Regular blade fuses only go as high as 30A so I had to retain the Maxi (APX) fuseholder for the grey Anderson plug circuit but worked out a way to panel-mount it using cable ties as I couldn't find a panel-mount APX fuseholder off-the-shelf. To minimise the space taken up, I mounted the panel up against the firewall on the passenger side, on an aluminium bracket affixed under the bracket for the glow plug controller.

Here is the panel before installation:

Here it is in-situ and wired up:
Chris
MQ Club Cab Ute
Bitsamissing

Re: Wiring addition and tidy-up

Postby WUNSIE on Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:37 am

Nothing wrong with that mate, looks neat and tidy, easy to get too, Just to give you the thumbs up, thats where the Secondary Fuel Filter sits if you ever decide to go down that path ;)
WUNSIE

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:45 am

Neat job.

We've got an uphill battle, with more cabling than ever these days. Used to only have five or six wires going to the rear area of a car many moons ago. :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby WUNSIE on Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:08 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Neat job.

We've got an uphill battle, with more cabling than ever these days. Used to only have five or six wires going to the rear area of a car many moons ago. :lol:

Agree with you there, gone are the days of just tapping into an accessories wire to run your van 12v lights when you pulled up on the side of the road for the night
WUNSIE

Return to General Discussion