DPF light flashing on MQ

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Re: DPF light flashing on MQ

Postby goscitmech on Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:56 am

Sorry I know this is an old thread but thought I would give some insight into code P252F Oil Level Too High and what I took to rectify the problem.

Long story short when the DPF light is flashing and code P252F is stored the vehicle needs to be serviced inc oil and filter changed. Once that is performed the "oil dilution" has to be reset in the ECU. This can only be done with a high end vehicle scan tool. As long as no other codes are present, especially DPF temp or pressure sensor fault codes this is all that is needed to get you up and running.

When engines go through a DPF regeneration, extra fuel is injected post top dead centre causing exhaust temps to rise dramatically. This enables the DPF to go through passive regeneration. Each time it regenerates some of that extra fuel gets into engine oil. The ECU know this and therefore describes the code as "oil level too high" even though it doesn't have a oil level sensor. It's saying that the engine oil is diluted with diesel and needs to be changed.

Hope this helps someone.
goscitmech

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:38 pm

No warning light when a regen occurs is normal operation. If a fault occurs you get a flashing or solid light
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby puk on Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:15 pm

So i just thought i would add here that my MQ started throwing a "Check engine" light and fault code 1428 (DPF sensor 3) at me, and took it to the local dealership. But before i did i checked the wiring in the harness as described earlier in this thread, and lo and behold, the sensor wiring was installed wrong and had never been fixed. They were certain when i told them about the "check engine light", that it would be a split intercooler hose or similar. When they rang me to say that the number 3 sensor had failed (Surprise, surprise) i asked about the hotline fix for this, and if they would be covering it, seeing it was a known fault. I was told that they did not have to as it was not a recall, and was asked where i found out about the hotline fix anyway?

When i mentioned NewTriton and DibbyDibbyDJ's experience, they sounded miffed, but when i mentioned his ACCC action, their tune changed really quick and they said they would try to put it through as a "Goodwill" claim, even though my MQ ran out of warranty in May.

So i picked it up today and was charged nothing for a new sensor replacement which i have since checked HAS been installed correctly.

So, DibbyDibbyDJ, if we ever meet i owe you a beer. I never would have known about it otherwise, and would have been charged the full amount.
Thanks,
Puk
puk

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:27 pm

Nice one Thanks for posting a response.. its always good to hear good feedback :D :D
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby messabout on Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:52 am

Sorry to post on an old thread...

DPF light is flashing on my stock standard 2016 MQ manual. Got it booked in with local Mitsubishi service, but earliest they could do is next week.

In the meantime is it safe to drive with the flashing DPF light or could that lead to engine damage?
messabout

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:46 pm

It wont damage the engine, but it could leave you stuck in limp home mode. Best not to drive at all TBH
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby messabout on Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:24 pm

Thanks DibbyDibbyDJ, appreciate the advice.
messabout

Postby ray-oz on Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:40 pm

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:You have possibly got a faulty no3 temperature sensor on the DPF.

There is a hotline fix concerning the routing of the cabling to this sensor, and if the routing is not correct it can cause an intermittant sensor reading causing your issue.

Does your dealer service your MQ?

Hi DibbyDibbyDJ, could you please help to advise, my Pajero Sport manual says only use 5w-30 DL-1 or C1,C2,C3,C4 engine oil.

Is it safe for me to use C3 5w-40 or C3 0w-40 engine oil in my Pajero Sport, is it safe for DPF?

I’ve read the service manual for Pajero Sport QF global, they listed 5w-30 C3 for DPF PS and can use 40 grade oil for PS without DPF. I am guessing 40 grade oil is harmful to the DPF? Or I only need to get a C3 oil no matter 30 or 40 grade? Thanks

Thank you if you can advise.
ray-oz

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:07 pm

Depends on where you are in the world
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby ray-oz on Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:54 pm

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:Depends on where you are in the world

Hi mate I am in Perth, my PS QF has a DPF I found some dealer even use Castrol 5w-40 DX C3 but manual says only 5W-30.

Is the 40 grade oil harmful to DPF? Thanks a lot in advance.

I stocked 10x Castrol Edge 0w-40 c3 from Repco, hope 40 oil is safe to DPF for long term use.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/oils-fluids ... p/A9531692
ray-oz

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:02 am

The C3 denotes its suitability for DPF use so you will be ok
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby ray-oz on Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:53 pm

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:The C3 denotes its suitability for DPF use so you will be ok

Thanks for your help buddy.
ray-oz

Postby nettles58 on Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:26 am

We have a 2019 GLX 2.4L Triton purchased new, it's our work vehicle, travels between 450klm to 500klm per week, highway driving mainly.. at a little over 7,000 klms the DPF light started flashing, the vehicle was taken to our local dealer, they couldn't find a problem, changed the oil filter, and oil, carried out a reset.. at 9644 ks, the light started flashing again, my husband checks the dip stick every morning, the oil was high, we took it back, this time they found a split oring on the RH side of the intercooler, replaced it, changed the oil filter, oil and did a reset again. At 13860 klms the light flashed again, took it back to the same dealer - 3rd time.. when we went to pick it up, they said the DPF wasn't reset after the last service, which it clearly stated it had been on their last invoice, and replaced the oil filter, oil and did a reset.. 17897 klms the light flashed again, we took it back. again, they found the oil level too high, found excessive soot build up, my husband had found they had left a hose loose after the last time it had been in, and tightened it and replaced a hose clamp that had not been put back on, again they replaced the oil filter and oil, so in a little over 5,600 klms, this vehicle has had 4 oil filters and oil changes, and this time they charged us for both, we also did our own oil analysis, which suspect fuel entry into oil/sump/engine and immediate corrective action was required.. .. at 22802klms the light flashed again, this time we contacted the dealer we bought the vehicle from, and took it to them, and raised the case with Mitsubishi Australia.. everything was rest, data collected for Mitsubishi Australia.. 9 weeks later, at 26099ks, and not been driven for a week over Christmas, the light came back on.. the vehicle is now back at the dealers, we are into the 6th week without it, my husband is a sole mobile operator, the vehicle is fitted with generator, compressor and a custom XL body for his business.. the dealer has given us a loan ute, however we cant go out to site to carry out repairs.. just unacceptable that a warranty issue has taken this long to resolve.. We have 3 other tritons in the family, and a pajero of the same age, and no problems, this vehicle obviously has a major problem they cant resolve.. to say we are unimpressed is an understatement.. next stop is the ACCC
nettles58

Postby WUNSIE on Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:07 pm

450-500km per week/ 5 days per week =90-100km per day.
It doesnt by chance comprise of nothing but stop start short trips/excessive idleing for the majority of the day.

I would seriously be not constantly going back to the dealer who fails to correctly diagnose and rectify the problem/ issue first time round:x
WUNSIE

Postby nettles58 on Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:46 pm

WUNSIE wrote:450-500km per week/ 5 days per week =90-100km per day.
It doesnt by chance comprise of nothing but stop start short trips/excessive idleing for the majority of the day.

I would seriously be not constantly going back to the dealer who fails to correctly diagnose and rectify the problem/ issue first time round:x

all highway driving or vast majority, at least once or twice a week there would be a 150klm round trip in there.. heard back from Mitsubishi today, they are replacing the injectors..
nettles58

Postby WUNSIE on Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:39 pm

Good outcome mate ;)
WUNSIE

Previous

Return to General Discussion