DPF light flashing on MQ

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Re: DPF light flashing on MQ

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:43 pm

When the car does its own regen, then there will not be a light visible. The light only comes on when the system has a fault. The car is designed to regen itself, Normally when not noticeable, but if all the parameters are correct it will do it at any time it needs to
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby mitzi1 on Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:58 pm

Thanks Dibby. I totally misunderstood the handbook. I read it to mean when the display came on it was doing a regen and had to be driven till the light went out, and when the display lamp and engine light came on together it was time to go to the dealer. Thanks for clarifying that. Not bad, first regen in 9000 k, unless it did one when I was on a long run and didn't notice it. Thanks again.
mitzi1

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:11 pm

It has certainly done a few by now. A well running motor will do about 1 every 1000 kms
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby chapmaan on Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:54 pm

Just a quick note to say that I've also had the DPF sensor problem, was replaced and subsequently found slight leak from intercooler - all fixed under warranty. Dealer mentioned routing was an issue. Got it back and it slowly misbehaved - hence the eventual identification of the intercooler. Crack in the plastic on the edge from memory. Was about 20K ago - has been perfect since.

Thing is, now that I know what the DPF system is doing and how the burn works I can detect the clog as it builds and drive accordingly to trigger the burn.

Obviously I don't want to have the clog build in the first place but sometimes day to day life gets in the way.
chapmaan

Postby jweston on Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:33 am

So my Triton MQ got a flashing DPF light at 108,000km so just out of warranty. Serivce guys advised i got a high oil level trigger and that i needed to replace oil filter, oil and do a manual DPF regen, this cost me about $400.

Next day while driving my engine light come on, took it back to the service department and they advised the DPF temp sensor is faulty and needs replacing, they advised there was a hotline fix for this issue. They put a request into Mitsubishi to have financial assistance to fix the problem. They have only offered 50% of the warranty cost of the sensor, no labour costs and anything else.

Reading these posts it now makes sense what has happened and that the $400 i paid two weeks ago was to fix a problem caused by the faulty sensor. I rang Mitshubishi and they advised that the assess the info from the service center, i advised them that i would like it fully covered even outside of warranty as it is a known issue (hotline fix) and that i have not driven the vehicle in a way to contribute to the fault occuring. Also told them i would go to ACCC and lodge a claim not just for the sensor replacement and labour costs but also for the $400 i paid to fix a problem caused by this sensor fault.

I'm waiting for them to come back to me on this, is what i am requesting resonable? I tend to think that this is a fault of the car itself and the build rather then my driving of the vehicle. Otherwise i would pay for it, but thank you for the information in these posts they have been very helpfull.
jweston

Postby Bugsquash on Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:40 am

I am no consumer lawyer but you seem to be well within exactly what our consumer laws try to address. It is a known fault (faulty workmanship), is not something you would expect to fail with normal usage, and it is not a consumable. Push 'em hard, but be prepared to back it up with an actual case report to the ACCC.

Good luck and please report back here.
Bugsquash

Postby jweston on Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:51 am

Yes will do, i have sent a query to the ACCC just to see if they can send me anything but like i have mentioned the information on this post has been great otherwise how would you know the issues are related.

I will keep you updated.
jweston

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:30 pm

I thinks its a case of the dealer f****** up with a poor diagnosis of the fault. They should have picked up on the cause before just changing your oil and doing a regen. When this light comes on there is always a reason behind it. As long as the correct oil is used for servicing, i.e. a low ash oil

Do you have full service history? is it with a dealer?

It is a known problem, and the majority of them were fixed under warranty. But some techs didnt read the instructions correctly, and the fault can reoccur if the instructions are not followed to the letter.

But these hotline fixes can come out when the car is out of warranty, or even for a issue that is not covered by warranty.

If the car was in warranty, and it was due a service soon, then MMAL would not necessarily pay for the oil. But if it was inbetween services, then they would cover the cost entirely.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby jweston on Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:50 am

Hi,

I have a full service history but not with the dealer. I have had no need to use the dealer servicing and to be honest it's not that easy to get my car into the dealer service center.

The DPF light flashing occured after 105,000km, before this i had no issues with the car or servicing. Just seems that now out of warranty i have had the high oil level issue and then followed up instantly with a No 3 temp sensor fault on the DPF.

As it is a known problem with some MQ Tritons this would constitute a car defect at build and i should not be paying a majority of the cost to fix the issue. All i want them to pay for is the cost of the sensor and the installation costs. I'd expect the service department to perhaps absorb the cost of the oil considering it was changed by them two weeks ago.

Interesting enough it appears an announcement came out from the ACCC last night in relation to a forcable undertaking being done by Toyota over DPF issues with some of there cars where soe of there customers were rejected for warranty claims due to DPF issues. ACCC advised in the media release that "All businesses, including car manufacturers, are reminded that consumer law rights cannot be excluded, restricted or modified. Warranties operate in addition to consumer guarantees, not instead of these statutory guarantees".

Also of note is the failure of Toyota to advise there customers of DPF related isues "Toyota also acknowledged the ACCC’s concerns that failure to inform consumers regarding mechanical issues with their vehicles (or issues with repairs) may be misleading,” said the ACCC media statement. So if this is a issue and considering not everyone goes to service there vehicle at a MMAL service center how would we know of the problem. I only knew about this through this forum and after the issue occured just outside of warranty.

I'm awaiting there call back but this artical about the ACCC and Toyota may have come at a good time for me to argue the point.

Here is the link https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/t ... compliance
jweston

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:56 pm

A big problem with this is that some independent garages do not use the correct oil for this engine, which will clog the dpf with soot quite quickly.

I would have hoped your dealer would have tried a bit harder, seeing as they screwed up, but seeing as you have no dealer history, you are unlikely to get goodwill from MMAL.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby jweston on Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:06 pm

So Mitsubishi are dragging there feet been over 3 weeks where they have advised that they need to contact Albion Park Mitsubishi to get details of my car. ACCC have got back to me and advised that I should be covered under Australian Consumer Law. So asked Mitsubishi for an answer by 23rd otherwise I'll lodge a complaint with NSW Fair Trading and if that results in nothing small claims court which is disappointing considering this same fault is being replaced fully under warranty and when I get it 5k after warranty they only want to pay half of the sensor cost only and I need to pay the other half plus the labour.

See what happens in two days and go from there, bit disappointed I think this will be the last Mitsubishi I purchase.
jweston

Postby bikz on Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:23 am

Ah..Just got DPF warning light come on driving last night. Last time this happened at 90 k, I tried to drive on highway but it went into LIMP MODE. Problem was the temp sensor which was fixed under warranty. Vehicle has done 114 k now, Im thinking this is the same issue. My Obd2 scanner didn't find any fault codes.
bikz

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:54 pm

Things to check...

How high is your oil level?

Is there a split in your intake hose to manifold?
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby bikz on Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:55 pm

Hey Dibby,
Oil level is in nomal range and no issues with intake hose that i can see. Got car booked with dealer to have a lokk on Thursday.
bikz

Postby jweston on Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:11 am

Update on my case MMLA is going to pay the full cost of the sensor and labour associated under good faith. In the end i had to send them a strongly worded email advising that if i didn't have an answer by the 23/12/2020 then i would make a complaint with NSW Fair trading and if that was not successfull small claims court. I also advised them the feedback i go from ACCC in regards to my rights under Australian consumer law and that the fault seems to be getting fixed for vehicles under warranty for free.

So i am happy with the outcome of this, i had to fight for it but i'll be happy when the work is done. Thanks to all on this forum post as the information here was invaluable and if i had not known would have cost me some $$$$.
jweston

Postby Beezmyer on Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:17 pm

Gday there,

Recently had my DPF sensor replaced as it had failed and ute went into limp mode.

Dealership replaced it and away i went

Yesterday dpf starts flashing, so i take it back in... They scan it and sure enough the code reads oil is to high ( i thought this was the case when i saw oil past the x on dipstick)

Dealer has now dropped the oil and put new lot in and then completed a forced regen and also claimed they have checked the sensors and they are all working fine. Girl at the desk noted that it appears the DPF attempted to try regen but failed multiple times

However since reading Dibbys comments regarding incorrect install, i have popped the lid and notice the sensor hasnt even been put into the wiring harness when its been replaced!!

My question do we think this could have resulted in the new sensor never working and the DPF error after only 6,000klms since its replacement.

Also wondering if we have anymore details on the hotline fix mentioned? I dont want to call the dealer and claim they are at fault without some decent detail

Any help is appreciated

Beez
Beezmyer

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:27 am

When they replaced the sensor did they change the oil and do a forced regen?

If they didnt then that could explain why the oil level has risen so quickly.

When you look down at the Sensor from above you should see the cable coming out of the sensor goes into a metal clip on the body. A white or yellow ring will be marked around the cable insulation, this should be visible 10 mm to the rear of the metal clip. It is supposed to be in this position to ensure the cable is not overstressed by having to turn the corner into the sensor itself by giving it enough slack. This is the reason for repeat failures, as the cable gets worked back and forth by engine movement and the wire breaks inside.

This normally takes a bit of time though, so maybe the cause lies elsewhere?

Is there a split in your Intake hose to your throttle body? This is a big cause of DPF problems. Any split in the hose causes the amount of air expected to decrease greatly and will cause regens to fail.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Beezmyer on Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:17 pm

As far as i know they just replaced the sensor and completed the forced regen and sent me on my way...until yesterday when they completed the forced regen and changed the oil.

Im assuming the first time around the only error code was for a dud sensor. Receipts dont indicate the oil was changed at that time

As for the sensor, i can see the marks you have mentioned and the clip, however they havent clipped the sensor into it. The cable is just floating.

Ill have to have a look at the intake hose etc

cheers
Beezmyer

Postby rhr on Tue May 11, 2021 6:58 pm

Looks like my 3rd sensor has gone too.

MR GLS With 75k. Oil level is fine and have the obd2 torque app and it hasn't done a re gen in over a week. I do roughly 100 a day

Pretty convinced it's the sensor. I turn the key onto ignition and without cranking get the dpf message.

Off to the dealer next week hopefully.
rhr

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Tue May 11, 2021 9:08 pm

3rd sensor is very unlikely on an MR. This issue has been fixed during MQ production.

Any air leak from the top intercooler hose? A split in that hose will stop DPF regen.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby rhr on Wed May 12, 2021 5:58 pm

Looks like the above was a premature post... stated this morning and no more EGR light.

It's due for a service next week so I'll get them to check it with the scan gauge.
rhr

Postby rhr on Sat May 15, 2021 5:31 pm

And it's back. Started a regen and saw the temp go to 600 plus. Next minute dpf service light.
rhr

Postby pete10 on Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:57 pm

whats the cause of high oil level on the dipstick,mine is sitting between the ful mark and the x?
pete10

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:09 pm

Can be down to not driving fast or long enough to allow a regn to start or finish.

It can also be an indication of a fault pending, that is stopping regen occuring
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby pete10 on Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:30 am

thanks for reply Dibby
pete10

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion