Challenger vs MQ Triton

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Challenger vs MQ Triton

Postby justaglamper on Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:39 pm

G'day fellas,

In the market for a used 4x4. Budget is low $20k's.
I'm not mechanically savvy.... or really have any damm clue, so looking for something newish and as low km's as possible that isnt going to give me too much hassle.
Wont be doing any serious 4x4, just used for camping/surf trips and lots of city driving.

At the moment tossing up between a 2015 Challenger OR an MQ Triton (2015-16).

Challenger pro's
- Wagon
- Easy to find a well looked after family car
- Easy to find for low $20k
- Easy to find ~60,00km

Challenger con's
- Out dated compared to the MQ Triton
- Less economical in fuel

MQ Triton pro's
- Updated model
- More economical in fuel

MQ Triton con's
- Wagon
- More expensive compared with the challenger
- Ute
- Harder (but possible) to find as low km's

Sure the Challenger comes out on top with the list above, but it's by no means a comprehensive list.
Would love you guys to add any pro's and con's if your familiar with either of the cars? If you think one's better than the other would love to know WHY

Also open to other options!

Thanks in advance for your tips :)
justaglamper

Re: Challenger vs MQ Triton

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:11 pm

Justaglamper, welcome to the forum. I've locked your other thread - we try to keep things tidy here and cross posting is just confusing.

MQ Triton

Pros
I'd steer clear of anything with the 4D56 engine. The 4N15 in the MQ, though, is a pearler.
Ute has bigger load space and can handle stuff that you wouldn't want to put inside a wagon, from a load of firewood to dirty or wet fishing gear.
Much more modern platform; the Challenger dates back to the ML in 2007.
MUCH more comfortable seats.

Cons
At your suggested price point you may have trouble finding one with Super Select. I would adjust budget or be prepared to take one with higher mileage. Super Select is worth every penny you pay for it.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby justaglamper on Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:41 pm

Thanks for your post NowForThe5th. Advice on the engine help as I know nothing about either.

Cheers for fixing up the post's, wasn't sure which one to post in
justaglamper

Postby srb on Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:05 am

Why even bother with a dedicated 4x4? If you're not considering any serious 4x4 work and lots of city driving then there's MUCH better awd suv car like options out there.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby justaglamper on Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:29 pm

When I say serious 4x4 I mean I wont be searching for tracks. However the trip I take defiantly require a 4x4. I've got an AWD at the moment and its not cutting it.
justaglamper

Postby Merts on Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:18 pm

The engine and auto transmission in the MQ are much better than those in the Challenger. We had an MN Triton in our work fleet, and the difference in driving experience between it and the MQs is significant. More power. Smoother. Less noise.
Also, as Chris mentioned, if you can afford a model which has the 'proper' super-select 4WD system, being able to engage AWD on bitumen when towing or when it's bucketing down is a big advantage over part time 4WD only systems.
In stock trim, the MQ is very car-like to drive. With no weight in the tray it can be a little harsh and bouncy in the rear, but once you put some weight in or on the tray you'd probably not notice it's a ute.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby justaglamper on Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:54 pm

Thanks for the info Merts. Have decided to go the MQ. Now to find a good one at a decent price!
justaglamper

Postby rjjs on Sat May 01, 2021 11:46 pm

"I'd steer clear of anything with the 4D56 engine"

Well I'd say apart from some trivial recalls pick a post 18th march 2014 manufacture with Super Select like I did due to the attention to quality control with block face machining-
http://australiancar.reviews/reviews.ph ... er&gen=656

Nevertheless many earlier Challenger/Triton owners had no problems with theirs and I've seen the 4D56 engine having clocked 400k in the right hands. Very popular world wide and they recondition them but you need to be aware of correct timing/balancer belt changes at 6yrs or 90k to keep them trouble free-
https://www.gatestechzone.com/en/news/2 ... bishi-4d56

A Provent 200 catch can and electronic EGR delete (the latter strictly for off road you understand) will avoid the inevitable diesel inlet manifold clogging problem with all the CRDs but you'll have the luxury of no costly DPF problems and an old school alternator that won't need fancy addons for auxiliary batteries etc.
rjjs

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun May 02, 2021 10:14 am

rjjs wrote:apart from some trivial recalls

Trivial? https://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18788

rjjs wrote:18th march 2014 manufacture with Super Select like I did due to the attention to quality control with block face machining-
http://australiancar.reviews/reviews.ph ... er&gen=656

Absolute rubbish. Problems were experienced with engine build almost to the end of the MN production run. Quite a few have had two or even three replaced.

rjjs wrote:many earlier Challenger/Triton owners had no problems with theirs and I've seen the 4D56 engine having clocked 400k

Quite true. The problem was not with all of the machines doing the blocks; we understand that about 20% (?) were/are affected. Mitsubishi have done the right thing but is a 20% failure rate something that you're willing to take the chance on? Not me, I bought a 4M41.

rjjs wrote:no costly DPF problems

What DPF?
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Return to General Discussion