MQ Muffler - Legal?

Anything Triton 2016+ related

MQ Muffler - Legal?

Postby The-MQ-Dozer on Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:53 am

Hey all,

New to the site! I have a question. I have a 2017 GLS MQ. I’m currently running no muffler (dumped at the cab). Is sitting in the shed at the moment. Its got to go into Mitsubishi tomorrow as I’m on my second gearbox (replaced 8000kms ago) and it’s started popping third yet again so it’s going in to get diagnosed. My question is, is it legal to be running no muffler and can they reject warranty even though it’s got nothing to do with the gearbox? I’ve misplaced the bolts to put it back on so if I don’t have to put it back on that would be great.

Cheers guys.
The-MQ-Dozer

Re: MQ Muffler - Legal?

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:10 pm

It's not illegal to have no muffler but it is illegal to make more noise than is specified for your jurisdiction (unknown because you haven't filled out your location in your profile).

It is definitely illegal to have no catalytic converter.

As for the warranty, they have to prove a connection between the removed muffler and the gearbox failure. It could be as simple as you drove it harder because you like the sound when there is no muffler. There is no point in inviting an argument - go find those bolts and put the muffler back on.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Re: MQ Muffler - Legal?

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:14 pm

Having no exhaust is not a reason for rejecting a claim.

It will also be illegal to have an exhaust exiting under the vehicle.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Return to General Discussion