Correct Procedures for Injector Tightening - MQ/MR +

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Correct Procedures for Injector Tightening - MQ/MR +

Postby Rusty Iron on Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:18 am

I got my MQ GLS in May 2016. It now has 125,000 ks on it. Up until this point, it hadn't even so much as blown a fuse unless I caused it. Most reliable car I've ever had. Or so I thought....

Not long ago, I was driving north from Perth when for the first time, the car severely overheated. It had never once in 4 1/2 years gone over halfway on the temp gauge no matter how hard I worked it. This time it went to 7 out of 8 bars. I had just towed my 750 kg camper up three huge hills.

I hadn't gone this way before with the ute and towing the trailer and it had to work very hard to go over those hills. The car seemed to be doing it fairly easy in 4th at around 100 kph, but in hindsight it was probably giving as much as it possibly could to maintain that speed. and it was only because I happened to glance down at the gauge that I noticed what was happening.

Pulled over and had a look under the bonnet. Overflow bottle was empty and there were green coolant stains around the join between the top of the head and the rocker cover. You can imagine how I felt when I saw that. I topped the bottle up and idled it for a fair while until temp came back to normal. Engine was running fine. Turned around and nursed it back home. Stopped and checked overflow a dozen times but level never dropped. Still had full power if I wanted it. Also checked the dipstick a few times but there was no sign of water, no milkiness, just normal black oil. Got home no problem.

The mechanic I have used for years just got in touch. The head was not cracked as we thought it might have been. It passed a pressure test but failed a vacuum test. I think he said it was around the injector openings. It's looking like this is a result of poor casting and was very likely a fault from factory. Probably impossible to prove that 100%, but it is what it is. He reckons I got home with no problem because after temps returned to normal, any small cracks or openings would have closed up again.

No, I won't be trying for warranty. I passed the 100k mark by the end of the third year. And because I've had it remapped, they would laugh me out of the place anyway.

As a result of this, and the Govts current instant asset writeoff scheme this year, I finally bought the 200 Series I've dreamed about for 13 years. A second hand 2018 GXL and it's just simply amazing after a dual cab ute, I can tell you. And HELL NO, i am not selling the Triton until it is 100% repaired, with a new head, not a repaired one. That would be a dog act and I prefer to have a clean conscience. Even if it costs me a poultice. Such is life.

As an interesting side note, my mechanic went to the local Mitsubishi dealer to check how the motor should be dismantled. While he was there, they showed him another ute just like mine, same year, with the same problem, though undiagnosed at that point in time.

It's a possibility that mine was unique in having this fault. Could be just bad luck with one particular casting event. But my advice is, if you have a high mileage unit, keep an eye on things.
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanded title for better search results
Rusty Iron

Re: HEADS UP! 2016 MQ - Porous casting in the head

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:26 pm

This is a known problem with this engine. The fault is not a manufacturing defect, it is caused by incorrect tightening of the injectors after valve clearance adjustment.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby WUNSIE on Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:32 pm

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:This is a known problem with this engine. The fault is not a manufacturing defect, it is caused by incorrect tightening of the injectors after valve clearance adjustment.

More info on the incorrect tightening ? please DDDJ
Does it relate to under / over tightening ?
Proper procedures not adhered too, or failure to replace consumables with new
WUNSIE

Postby Rusty Iron on Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:11 pm

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:This is a known problem with this engine. The fault is not a manufacturing defect, it is caused by incorrect tightening of the injectors after valve clearance adjustment.

Say what???!!! Have you got any 100% solid evidence of that?? Because this same mechanic has done the valve clearances twice. Mate, if you have anything at all that proves that, I'm begging you for it. This episode looks like costing me anywhere up to 3 1/2 or 4 grand.
Rusty Iron

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:15 pm

WUNSIE wrote:

Overtightening causes cracks, undertightening causes leaks and injectors to seize in head.

Injector washers (copper) must be replaced everytime they are removed, and the washers on the securing bolts must always be replaced.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Rusty Iron on Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:17 pm

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:
WUNSIE wrote:

Overtightening causes cracks, undertightening causes leaks and injectors to seize in head.

Injector washers (copper) must be replaced everytime they are removed, and the washers on the securing bolts must always be replaced.

Where did you get this info?
Rusty Iron

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:18 pm

Rusty Iron wrote:

Say what???!!! Have you got any 100% solid evidence of that?? Because this same mechanic has done the valve clearances twice. Mate, if you have anything at all that proves that, I'm begging you for it. This episode looks like costing me anywhere up to 3 1/2 or 4 grand.

Your Mitsubishi dealer should be able to help with that. There is nothing on paper yet, but Technical assistance have the info.

I have seen both cases, caused by independent garages not adhering to the correct tightening procedures.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:18 pm

Rusty Iron wrote:

I am a Master technician at a mitsubishi dealer
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Rusty Iron on Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:20 pm

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:
Rusty Iron wrote:

I am a Master technician at a mitsubishi dealer

Well holy crap. This puts a whole new light on my position. Thanks for that DDDJ. Looks like an awkward conversation coming up with my mechanic....
Rusty Iron

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:28 pm

The procedure is very precise, and not as tight as people might imagine.

With all the injectors in place the bolts are fitted so the injector carriers are all level. This is to be done with a long straight edge. The bolts are then tightened to 1nm, then the each of the front bolts on each injector are tightened by 90 degrees, and the rear bolt of each injector is tightened 180 degrees.

I have replaced a head on 1 that sounds similar to yours, being overtightened, coolant staining all over the engine. cracks were seen around the water jacket in the head. Another where they were too loose, not needing a new head, but with 3 new injectors, injection harness, and a new camcover, as the gases leaked past the seals and caused the injectors to jam in the head. A slide hammer was needed to pull the injectors out.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Rusty Iron on Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:11 pm

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:The procedure is very precise, and not as tight as people might imagine.

With all the injectors in place the bolts are fitted so the injector carriers are all level. This is to be done with a long straight edge. The bolts are then tightened to 1nm, then the each of the front bolts on each injector are tightened by 90 degrees, and the rear bolt of each injector is tightened 180 degrees.

I have replaced a head on 1 that sounds similar to yours, being overtightened, coolant staining all over the engine. cracks were seen around the water jacket in the head. Another where they were too loose, not needing a new head, but with 3 new injectors, injection harness, and a new camcover, as the gases leaked past the seals and caused the injectors to jam in the head. A slide hammer was needed to pull the injectors out.

Thanks very much again DDDJ. Sounds like a very fussy procedure that could easily go wrong. I'm gonna have to have that talk with my mechanic mate, aren't I? Not looking forward to that...
Rusty Iron

Postby WUNSIE on Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:30 pm

I wouldnt even mention the correct procedure until after you ask your mechanic how he tightens them first, and then advise him of the consequences if proper procedures are not strictly followed ;)
WUNSIE

Postby Rusty Iron on Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:25 pm

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:The procedure is very precise, and not as tight as people might imagine.

I've got another question if you don't mind. If the injectors were tightened incorrectly, how soon after would the head problem happen do you think? From memory, it's been at least 12 months since they were last done. Seems unusual for this to happen so long after?
Rusty Iron

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:29 pm

It takes time for the stress of overtightening to weaken the head.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:35 pm

2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Rusty Iron on Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:41 pm

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:It takes time for the stress of overtightening to weaken the head.

Thanks for that but unfortunately "Time" is a way too subjective thing in this context. My take away is that there is no solid definitive way to prove this may have been the mechanics fault. Which means it's equally possible, it wasn't his fault.

I'm just going to pay the bill, get a perfectly roadworthy car back, and sell it knowing it's as good as any other Triton of the same age.

But...I would recommend to all the others out there that when it's time for valve clearances to be done, go to a dealer. Or make sure your mechanic knows about and is up to speed on this procedure. At least you'll have peace of mind that if this happens to you, you'll be in a far better position than I am.
Rusty Iron

Re: Correct Procedures for Injector Tightening - MQ/MR +

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:58 am

Valuable information here, gents. Thanks for your contributions.

I've changed the title of the thread to better reflect the content and added it to the Forum Directory.

And here's Dibby's photo....
o2wFsLy.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Re: Correct Procedures for Injector Tightening - MQ/MR +

Postby Saltriton on Mon May 22, 2023 12:44 am

Hi
I just saw my mq triton leaking coolant on the back of engine just above the head gasket near the cam sensor

I have created a post in below link .
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=23135

So looks like I have a cracked head too correct ?

What did you do to fix your car mate ?
Did you replace head ?
including the head gasket, timing chain, timing guides, timing chain adjuster , head bolts, injector bolts and injector washers?

Or replaced engine

Thanx mate
Saltriton

Return to General Discussion