What to look for when buying a 2nd hand MQ

Anything Triton 2016+ related

What to look for when buying a 2nd hand MQ

Postby justaglamper on Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:01 am

Hey fellas,

Im looking at a second hand 2017 GLX+ auto today. Wondering what I should specifically look out for when inspecting the ute?

Apologies if this has been posted before, I used the search function and have a browse manually but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance for the help
justaglamper

Re: What to look for when buying a 2nd hand MQ

Postby DaveXT on Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:29 am

Firstly I would check the service history, very important to be able to keep your new car 5 year warranty.
Secondly I would crawl underneath to check to see if it has been abused off road.
Thirdly I would try to determine if it has been towing heavy loads for extended periods.
Finally if you are not happy don't settle, there are plenty of good Tritons available.
DaveXT

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:16 am

I agree with above, but make sure History is with a dealer, not independent garage. Also look for modifications. If it has raised suspension, big tyres etc, it may look attractive, but these mods would actually devalue the car. Best off buying a standard one and doing any mods yourself.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby srb on Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:27 am

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:I agree with above, but make sure History is with a dealer, not independent garage.

Oh man, you must work for a dealership.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:52 pm

Funny that, i do. And i have good reason to say that. independent garages are [censored] up MQ tritons all over
australia, by not doing basic servicing correctly. So my advice may make you chuckle, but the poor folks looking at new cylinder heads or fuel pumps are not laughing.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby srb on Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:05 pm

Normaly I'm not very polite to anyone that work at dealerships, especially dealers that discourage independent mechanics. But seeing that you're a member here, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and let you explain it to me.

Or if there's any threads already discusing these so called "stuff ups" please link them to save you repeating.

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:52 pm

viewtopic.php?f=97&t=22607

Thank you for tolerating me.

Above is the biggest problem around that our dealer support are dealing with.

An sorry that you feel i was discouraging the independent side of things, They of course have a valid place in the industry. I have just had a bad day dealing with a customer who took his Triton to MY CAR firstly, then to a local 4wd centre with poor starting. When it got to us i had a diagnosis in ten minutes for him. See, 4D56 tritons dont like running on petrol...

Yep, he loaned it to a pal last week, who put a tank full in it for him.

But when he came down calling us liars and demanding we prove it to him, which took all of 2 minutes to pull the outlet off the filter and give him a sniff, he still didnt beleive us.

But hey, thats my problem.

So, with my intentions being good, and trying to help people on here, i hope you can be polite to me. I think i work at one of the GOOD dealerships, who pride themselves on customer care, who are family owned, not part of a big group.

All the best
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:21 am

Don't sweat it Dibby. Bad days happen, regularly in the automotive industry. For me, yesterday was one of the occasional good ones, selling the business and moving towards a new business that I can operate without customers.

I think I'm reflecting the feelings of almost every member on this forum when I say that we appreciate your contributions and honesty, highlighting issues like that which may have been repeated through ignorance.

In fact your posts are generally so good that we'll even tolerate a rant..........only occasionally though. :P

Now, back on topic. If you have a tamed spray painter, get him to check out the paint and body, ideally with a paint thickness gauge to highlight any problem areas that might warrant further investigation.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby srb on Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:39 am

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Dibby.

Sorry, I thought you were just another A-hole dealer. The good ones, like yourself, are very far and few between.

Good to have you aboard.

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bugsquash on Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:30 pm

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:https://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=22607

So, with my intentions being good, and trying to help people on here, i hope you can be polite to me. I think i work at one of the GOOD dealerships, who pride themselves on customer care, who are family owned, not part of a big group.

Shit Dibby, I would love to know which dealer you were at mate. I know its against the rules but my new MR 2021 model is still in Thailand on the line and I want to look after it. Knowing I could take it to a trusted dealership workshop with a dedicated master mechanic like yourself, is worth every cent. There are dealer service centres and there are Dealer Service Centres. I got recommended this dealer in the Eastern suburbs of Brisbane from a broker but I have no idea what their service team will be like. I live 25 mins away and pass 2 other Mitsubishi dealerships on the way there. Time will tell...
Bugsquash

Return to General Discussion