Overheating 2018 MQ

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Overheating 2018 MQ

Postby 18MQ on Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:13 am

Hi all, I've got an overheating problem with my MQ Triton. Under load the temp goes up to max. I live in Toowoomba and every time I drive up the range it goes right up. Just got home from camping with camper trailer and had to stop twice to allow to cool down. I bought it brand new and only has 27k on the clock. I took it back to the dealer before this trip and they said it didn't go into limp mode so it didn't overheat. Tried to blame the bull bar which they fitted. They checked the clutch fan but said its good. I don't know what to do now. I definitely don't trust it. Any ideas?
18MQ

Re: Overheating 2018 MQ

Postby no_more_fg_falcon on Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:57 am

This is definitely not normal behaviour. Even with a bullbar potentially changing the airflow. The clutch fan on these vehicles moves a lot of air on its own. I'd be pushing harder at the dealer.

Is it auto or manual? In either case, for a quick fix, try selecting a lower gear whilst towing a camper. Higher RPM will lighten the load on the engine, plus the fan and water pump will run faster and remove more heat.

Not sure if this is what's happening here, but labouring the engine in top gear, with a heavy load, up a hill will cause it to produce more heat. This may not be the cause of your problem, but it's something to keep in mind.
2018 MQ GLX+ / 6MT / Bridgestone AT D697 / TJM: Tradesman bullbar | Rear Step Bar | XGS suspension
no_more_fg_falcon

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:50 pm

What bull bar did they fit?

Did they refit the air dams under the bullbar?

Do you have extra lights or a winch blocking the airflow?
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby andelect on Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:39 pm

Hello 18MQ,

Have a look at this thread.......
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=22339
andelect

Postby Towna on Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:54 pm

I am having the same issues with no bull bar. Unexplainable overheating and loss of power simultaneously? Seems to been on slight inclines when the engine has a bit of load in it. No limp mode, no data logged, dealer can’t find and issue but continues to happen intermittently?
Towna

Return to General Discussion