Loss of power / revs

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Loss of power / revs

Postby rjhug1 on Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:33 pm

Applogies if has been posted and answered, but couldnt find exactly what I was chasing.

Have a 2017, have installed the EGR plate and plug. Whole car has always been excellent and no issues.
Ovee the past 12 months or so and seems to be progressive, this issue has arisen.

- Engine makes no power or torque
- Struggles to rev and when its forced to, produced no power
- ALWAYS happens when on the freeway cruising
- Has never happened in traffic or leaving the lights
- Sometimes can be forced to snap out of it by putting foot to the floor or going into manual mode
- I cant make the issue happen and I cant predict it.
- No CEL
- Its like a limp mode but not (if that makes sense)

I have a reasonably strong background in engines and electronics etc and my very strong feeling is that its a sensor / ECU glitch.
Its not mechanical.

Any experiences?
rjhug1

Re: Loss of power / revs

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:16 am

So you have a MQ Triton with 4N15 engine?

remove the EGR plate and plug in. There is no need for those on this vehicle. Get a catch can.

You need to get your boost pressures checked.

If boost is low, check for a source of leak. Possible places are intercooler hoses or intercooler seals

If boost is ok, i would be looking at the engine datastream to look for regeneration data. this can tell a lot about how the vehicle is running. Distance to next regeration Should be 750kms or higher. Lower than that is ok, but if lower than 400kms then further investigation would be required.

How is your engine oil level? Is it high?
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby rjhug1 on Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:57 am

Thanks for that.
Doesnt fell like a boost or turbo issue. It is making that little power, it will barely hold the speed on the freeway before coming back to life. A leak somewhere causing a boost problem would affect fuel economy and would also be a constant, reproducible issue. Oil levels all ok.
Almost feels like a throttle position sensor. It has a very sensor type of feel about it.
Doesnt sound at all common, so maybe just a one off on mine.
rjhug1

Postby Towna on Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:48 pm

Hi, @rjhug1
Have you had any luck resolving this issue?
I am having a similar issue with loss of power/revs intermittently (2017 mq), however each time it happens the temperature gauge skyrockets to the top. No data is being logged? And the dealer haven’t been able to find anything or replicate what’s happening.
Last edited by Towna on Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Towna

Postby Bammo on Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:12 pm

One thing to check is your air filter - make sure its clean and then give the MAF sensor a spray with the MAF sensor cleaning spray from your local auto shop. My MAF sensor was gummed up from a dusty drive with a bit of oil mixed in and I was getting intermittent stalls / lack of power / lack of rev.

<noob mode on>MAF sensor sits between the air filter and turbo input and is easy to get to - just don't touch it with anything other than the spray<off>

May not be the same issue you are having but clean air and a clean sensor is a 60 second task to check and resolve first to eliminate the easy...
Bammo

Postby rjhug1 on Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:12 pm

Thanks guys.

No, havent been able to see what the problem is. Ive never noticed the temp gauge being affected.
My experience with dodgy MAP / AFM's is that it will be a predictable and constant issue , fuel economy will be shot and it will run on the rough side.

This issue, the engine runs perfectly smoothly. It just cant make power under load. It can have 3/4 - foot to the floor and will behave like it has 20% throttle input.
rjhug1

Postby watevadunno on Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:51 pm

Just wondering if you had any luck with this issue. My Ute has been doing something very similar.
watevadunno

Return to General Discussion