valve clearances

Anything Triton 2016+ related

valve clearances

Postby pete10 on Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:10 pm

im due for the 60,000k service soon on my 2018 mq 2.4 diesel,states valve clearances need to be done.Do they really need doing?To be honest im worried about taking it to the dealer .Previous experiences with my mn and workmanship with the dealers havent been good.Firstly they didnt do the clearances and when i took it back ,they admiited they werent done and supposedly did them .Car came back running like shit .Independant garages are hit and miss .I like to think with the dealer they do them all day, so they know them,but just cant be bothered with the aggravation and excuses .Ive used 2 different mitsubishi dealers in perth in the past.
pete10

Re: valve clearances

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:45 pm

Yes they will need doing. the inlets will be tight and the exhausts loose.

If a dealer does them and they don't do it correctly you will have the backing of MMAL.
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: language
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby pete10 on Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:41 pm

Its all the aggro though dibby.Can you leave them till 100,000ks?
pete10

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:10 am

Of course you dont have to get them done. Its entirely your choice.

But without full history I just hope you dont need to claim for warranty on the engine
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:20 am

If it's the first time they're done it's definitely worth doing. If they are done, get a list of the clearances before adjustment.

I had my ML done at 90k and only a couple of valves were slightly out. After having oil squirt out the back of the rocker cover after the operation and the ride having an overnight stay at the dealer to fit it properly, I decided to do the next one myself.

Obviously every motor has different requirements and adjustment regimes will vary pending how they're used. Like the classic line with Ferraris, "after it's been for a run around the block it'll need a tune up".

As dobby suggests, with a new vehicle the warranty implications are the big worry.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby pete10 on Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:57 pm

cheers fellas,hopefully i get a good tech
pete10

Postby ray-oz on Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:55 pm

pete10 wrote:im due for the 60,000k service soon on my 2018 mq 2.4 diesel,states valve clearances need to be done.Do they really need doing?To be honest im worried about taking it to the dealer .Previous experiences with my mn and workmanship with the dealers havent been good.Firstly they didnt do the clearances and when i took it back ,they admiited they werent done and supposedly did them .Car came back running like shit .Independant garages are hit and miss .I like to think with the dealer they do them all day, so they know them,but just cant be bothered with the aggravation and excuses .Ive used 2 different mitsubishi dealers in perth in the past.

I am from Perth too mate, all local MMA dealers are shit, I am due for next service soon, very worried ...if you know any good MMA dealer here in Perth please let me know. Cheers.
ray-oz

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:04 am

Go along with a couple of Bikie mates and say you're happy to wait while the job is being done.

What you'd like to say is " do da job right or we breaka da fingers".

My observation with various trades is the lack of enthusiasm and pride in workmanship. Biggest worry is whether the person working on your pride and joy is fully qualified to do so. You can have a wall full of certificates but really means jack s....
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to General Discussion