Apple Carplay connection issues solved

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Apple Carplay connection issues solved

Postby BlueTriton59 on Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:54 pm

Hi all

When I first picked up my 2019 MY MR Triton the salesman said to connect the iPhone via Bluetooth, then get a genuine Apple cable and you can then connect to Carplay via cable. Ok so off I go.

In the 2 years Ive had the car the Carplay connection process has been flaky to say the least.

Sometimes when the phone was plugged in and the car started, Carplay would connect, and when it did, always got a brief message on the screen saying “bluetooth device disconnected”.

But other times when I did not see that message it would pop up the “No smartphone connected” message and I would have to unplug the cable the plug back in, sometimes had to do this several times to get it to work. Maddening!!

On a recent interstate road trip holiday it nearly drove me nuts. So I did some digging to find a solution. Searches indicated an issue with bluetooth and cable connected Carplay being used simultaneously……

I have now concluded that there is a potential conflict between bluetooth and Carplay. If bluetooth connects first, Carplay may not connect.

The solution?

Un-pair the iPhone from the car, so it doesnt ever connect to the infotainment system via bluetooth.

With bluetooth turned off or disabled, It connecst to Carplay every time - except if the phone is locked when the car is started, it may not connect but does so almost immediately when you unlock the phone.

Maybe this is all known by many people but its not something I could see in the owners manual or find in many google searches.

So anyway, if you’re having trouble consistently connecting your iPhone to your Triton, step 1 is to make sure the phone is NOT CONNECTED TO THE CAR via Bluetooth. Unpair it, or do not pair it in the first place.

Carplay will do everything that the bluetooth connection does, more in fact, and does it better.
BlueTriton59

Re: Apple Carplay connection issues solved

Postby YTO on Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:19 pm

I got MQ with same issue with car play ever since upgraded to iphone12. Thanks for sharing.
YTO

Postby BlueTriton59 on Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:22 am

Connection problem is back again…..

Grrrrr
BlueTriton59

Postby YTO on Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:09 am

I re-paired the carplay again and it fixed the issue.

From your phone, go to carplay setting and select "forget this car" and restart your phone. Pair it again and it should fix the issue.

Now either with bluetooth on or not carplay still connect to the stereo no issue. Found that fix on google by the way.
YTO

Postby BlueTriton59 on Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:12 pm

Yes, I have subsequently done that, and its working better now.
BlueTriton59

Postby pete10 on Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:00 pm

does it with my iphone 12 as well
pete10

Postby BlueTriton59 on Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:13 am

It seems that almost every time after the iPhone has a software update it messes up the CarPlay connection.

I have started to do the “forget” and re-pair the phone after software updates and it definitely helps.
BlueTriton59

Postby pete10 on Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:13 pm

ill try it cheers
pete10

Return to General Discussion