Worth Wheel holder on rear of canopy, risk of banana triton.

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Worth Wheel holder on rear of canopy, risk of banana triton.

Postby PixelPaul on Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:12 pm

Hi All,
So some of you may be aware of the bent tritons, due to loading too much weight on the rear. If not, google banana triton :o

I just got a new MR Triton and taking the tub off and putting on a 1650 tray and canopy. I was also going to put on a wheel holder on the back of the canopy for another spare, for when i do bigger trips.
Now i am wondering, is it worth the risk.
I tow a 1.5Tn caravan, and a do always try to load up the car with even weight, mostly up from of tub/canopy.
But i guess i would like to hear from others that have something like a 1650 tray with rear wheel holder and loading it all up and towing at same time. Is it all good for you? Or do you feel you are getting close to having issues with bending the frame, or has it happened to you?
Yes I guess i could do it and always be careful, or not do it and have that extra peace of mind. Or just leave one spare wheel under the tray.
PixelPaul

Re: Worth Wheel holder on rear of canopy, risk of banana tri

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:58 pm

:shock:

:roll:

:cry:
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:44 am

Some basic physics. All these utes have basically got two beams pivoting over the rear axle. Whatever distance your tow ball and any other concentrated load is behind the axle, the stresses caused by those loads will be reflected at the similar distance on the chassis in front of the axle.

If you need extra spares, have you considered having tie down points in your caravan floor? Locate these above the axle.

Alternatively just put the extra spare at the front of the tub floor.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby deanA on Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:10 pm

I run a 1650 tradetools canopy on my MQ. Often loaded with few hundred kgs work gear during the week.
Simpson last year had gear for three in canopy + extra water, fuel, 2 fridges and rooftop tent on top, and rear wheel carrier on back for second spare. No issues although I am always mindful of the weight when going over speed bumps, desert whoops etc.
From what I have read many banana tritons were kitted out with air bags and heavy duty suspension to aid with the weight and this transferred the weight to a section of the chassis that wasn't designed to take that kind of pressure. Hence the banana feature.
deanA

Return to General Discussion