Turbos are dying.

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Turbos are dying.

Postby puk on Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:08 am

So the turbo went on my MQ at 114,000klm, just out of warranty.

The guys at diesel care in Dalby put a new turbo on it and it killed the new turbo in a day or two.
The second turbo is away getting "assessed" as to what killed it but they are assuming low oil pressure and think to chase up the issue that they might need to take the whole engine out, which is not gong to be cheap.

I have run a catch can since about 70,000klm, but have never had a look at the manifold. (this is just an FYI on the car, and not necessarily what i think is the cause)

Apparently one of the injectors has a washer that is letting carbon blow past it. At this stage they suspect that there may be a carbon blockage in the pickup tube, or something like that? (But they really don't know yet)

Has anyone heard of anything like this before?

It was down 10 to 15% on power when they put it on their dyno before the second turbo went.

Also, when i asked about the intake manifold, they said they can do their "prostream" terra-clean intake system clean with the manifold still on. Has anyone had any experience with this from diesel care, and is it worth doing, or should i just be spending the money on manifold removal and off-vehicle clean?

Frustrated and without my MQ, just a month before i go on holidays and need it to tow the boat.
Puk
puk

Re: Turbos are dying.

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:32 pm

The reason the carbon is leaking past the seals is that the injectors have not been serviced in the correct manner. Either put back with dirt on the seats, or more likely overtightened, causing the leak.

Sound like a bad workshop throwing YOUR money at a problem, and not finding the cause.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby WUNSIE on Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:34 pm

puk wrote:
The guys at diesel care in Dalby put a new turbo on it and it killed the new turbo in a day or two.

Apparently one of the injectors has a washer that is letting carbon blow past it.
Puk

Sounds like lack of knowledge, is the major contributor/ cause in this case. So many people think tighten something and then swing on it a bit more, (she'll be right mate, been doing this for 20 years on grand dads Massey Ferguson tractor)
Common Rail requires surgery cleanliness, keep us updated mate, sorry to hear
WUNSIE

Postby puk on Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:48 pm

To be clear, diesel care haven't serviced it in the past. They have it now as it is managed by one of the lieutenants in my fire brigade, and I trust him to look after me.

I just hope it doesn't cost me TOO much, and I need it back soon, to tow my boat on my upcoming holidays.
puk

Postby andelect on Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:26 pm

food for thought mate
link
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=23024
andelect

Postby puk on Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:41 pm

So, low oil pressure killed both turbos.
Hopefully it didn't do any damage to the rest of the engine in the meantime. It was getting SOME oil, just not enough. so they are thinking there might be a blockage somewhere, and having to try to chase that now.

Does anyone know if you have to take the engine out of the MQ to get to the sump, or can you drop the front diff etc. out to get to it. It seems like a less labour-intensive way of going about it.

Puk
puk

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:48 pm

you have to drop the diff right out, remove the rack and jack the engine up off its mounts to get the sump off
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Tritony on Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:27 pm

I wonder if the oil pump is not providing sufficient oil pressure and thats the cause of the turbo failures, do you have a scangauge or mechanical gauge to see what the oil pressure is at?
Tritony

Postby puk on Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:29 pm

The latest seems to be that the oil pressure is fine when cold and is dropping as the engine heats up. I think the oil pump is one of the things they are chasing down.
puk

Postby Foo on Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:35 pm

I'm curious to know why there wasn't any fault codes thrown? :?

Foo
Foo

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:23 pm

Low oil pressure switch is just a simple pressure switch., when it drops below certain value it turns the light on, nothing else. Its signal is only transmitted to the cluster, not the ECU or CANBUS
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby puk on Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:20 pm

Okay, so as far as i understand, the problem with the injector was the lesser of two evils, the washer problem, not the cracked head. This has been rectified. However the heat it released had damaged the rocker cover seal and carbon was getting into the engine that way? (If this doesn't make sense don't blame me, i am a minister, not a mechanic, i am just trying to remember what i was told the best i can.) :D

They found some big clumps of carbon in there, one was 8mm in diameter!
they flushed and changed the oil and cleaned everything up and resealed it all and warmed it up and it is behaving as it should now, the pressure is not dropping.

they drove it up and down the road, put it under load, everything, (with a pressure gauge on it) and the pressure is within spec.
they do recommend that i get the oil changed again in 1000klm just to help make sure anything else might be "cleaned out" with the new oil. I might get the tappets checked and therefore the injectors reinstalled my the dealership at that stage.

the question now is whether i can trust it, or whether it is going to let me down in the middle of nowhere while towing the boat on one of my upcoming holiday trips.

considering the high cost of used vehicles, and the low cost of new MR tritons, i might see what i can get for a trade and move to a new MR with a 10 year warranty. I would have to start again with accessories, but TBH i think i overdid it with this one. I don't do hard-core offroading, and don't hunt any more, but just use it to tow the boat to boat ramps.

Nest Question: Is it worth installing some sort of aftermarket oil pressure gauge so that i can keep an eye on it and (if it happens again) stop BEFORE anything gets bad enough to make this happen again? Is it cheap insurance or overkill?
Puk
puk

Return to General Discussion