Towing with MR Triton/Oil Leaks

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Towing with MR Triton/Oil Leaks

Postby Tritony on Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:37 pm

Hi guys, I have a 2020 MR Triton with 45k on the odometer.

Last weekend I towed with it and even after removing the bullbar and so forth it is still getting hot, also in inspecting the engine myself I have found a decent oil leak from the timing cover and the oil was a bit low (after only being serviced 4000km ago by the dealer) oil is all over the front diff and steering rack.

Is this a common issue with the 2.4L tritons leaking oil from the timing cover? I hope Mitsubishi warrants this as it looks to be a fairly involved job. As far as getting hot towing, is that a normal thing with Tritons as seems a lot of people online have issues with them.

Wish I bought a Hilux now and may end up trading the Triton in it has been the biggest lemon.
Tritony

Re: Towing with MR Triton/Oil Leaks

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:06 am

Quick to poo poo, maybe deserve a Hilux. Lol

What sort of load are you towing? Weight?

What time of terrain, hilly?

Unit auto or manual?

No vehicle should have any oil leaks, esp with those Kay's.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby shawty950 on Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:15 pm

TBH, Tritony's handle seemed familiar..so checked his(assumption) posts...

Wheel shake/vibration issues, fuel cut/cold breaking down...he might have a monday/friday build...so a coupla issues.....could see how one might get disheartened... ;-)
shawty950

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:08 am

He may then actually have a case under Australian consumer law.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:57 pm

After removing the bullbar were the factory fitted airdams put back in? These are worth at least 10 degrees in temperature.

As for timing cover leaks, i have seen only 2 with this issue, so i would not say they are renown for it
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Tritony on Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:54 am

shawty950 wrote:TBH, Tritony's handle seemed familiar..so checked his(assumption) posts...

Wheel shake/vibration issues, fuel cut/cold breaking down...he might have a monday/friday build...so a coupla issues.....could see how one might get disheartened... ;-)

Absolutely I love the car, Mitsubishi hasn't been too forthcoming because the car is modified and even after putting it back to stock they don't know what the issue is.
If I could fix the vibration issues, I can live with the rest but I've been to 2 or 3 different dealers multiple different tyre/tailshaft/mechanic shops and no one can get to the bottom of it unfortunately.
Tritony

Postby Tritony on Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:08 am

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:After removing the bullbar were the factory fitted airdams put back in? These are worth at least 10 degrees in temperature.

As for timing cover leaks, i have seen only 2 with this issue, so i would not say they are renown for it

Hi Dibby, I understand your a Mitsubishi tech. If you are interested I am more than happy to pay for you to fly over to W.A pay for your accomodation and so forth if you can help me solve this vibration issue.
Car is at a familys mechanical workshop at the moment.

DM me if you are interested.
Tritony

Postby AndrewGLS on Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:28 pm

I feel for you mate, you really seem to have a ton of issues. Really sucks :(
AndrewGLS

Postby Tritony on Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:41 am

Finally I have found the solution to the vibration. I found a switched on mechanic that did a report leading to Mitsubishi replacing the torque converter and the auto gearbox.
After replacement the car is smooth as, I'm so glad because it was driving me crazy.

Hopefully this helps someone else in the future - Torque converter out of balance was the issue.

P.S - What's the chances of the only Toyota (Aisin) component being the issue :lol:
Tritony

Return to General Discussion