2019 Triton

Triton in the media

Re: 2019 Triton

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:25 pm

Sounded and looked pretty good...... until I got to this bit:

... along with “Ultrasonic Misacceleration Mitigation” — a first for the segment.

It is designed to stop pedal confusion or accidental use of the throttle. When cameras and sensors detect hard acceleration when setting off in forward or reverse, the tech cuts engine power.

:(
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby DavidSAnderson on Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:40 am

Polarising look.

IMHO, the new front end doesn't look that bad, and, as it becomes more familiar with time, will be seen as an improvement.
BUT -
The new front end doesn't at all fit with the rest of the new sheet-metal that looks like an after-thought.

What I don't get, given that the Triton actually sells pretty well, is why Mitsubishi would so radically change the look instead of making changes like adding the 8-speed auto or even throwing in the 3.2 as an option.
Not saying there's anything wrong with the current motor, but the 3.2 behind an 8-speed auto would be a beast that would have Ranger Drivers (and us BT50 people) soiling themselves at red lights if any Tritons were around. :mrgreen:
DavidSAnderson

Postby har05l on Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:26 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Sounded and looked pretty good...... until I got to this bit:

... along with “Ultrasonic Misacceleration Mitigation” — a first for the segment.

It is designed to stop pedal confusion or accidental use of the throttle. When cameras and sensors detect hard acceleration when setting off in forward or reverse, the tech cuts engine power.

Agree 100% 5th, it basically means nanna driving always.
Be interesting when a decent weight is behind it and a heavy foot is needed on take off if it still impedes, will be awful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: language
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby peter9231 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:51 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Sounded and looked pretty good...... until I got to this bit:

Ultrasonic Mis-acceleration Mitigation, which cuts engine power if you accidentally move forward or backwards from standstill towards an object and don’t brake.
Are you for real??
Its to stop you accidentally driving up the footpath and in to a café.
Not when you take off from the traffic lights.
peter9231
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:46 pm

DavidSAnderson wrote:The new front end doesn't at all fit with the rest of the new sheet-metal that looks like an after-thought.

It's pretty clear, from the timeline, that Mitsubishi misread the whole random body lines fashion fad introduced by the Koreans as a lasting change in looks. Hyundai and Kia have largely dropped that look now and this new Triton does so too, although some remain, I suspect due to budgetary contraints. Nevertheless what sells is "macho". Ford have always understood this and it is a major factor in their Ranger's success, and the BT50's lack of success. Personally, I think that the "dynamic shield" look is pretty good and incorporating it into the Triton not only updates the Triton but extends the family look.

DavidSAnderson wrote:but the 3.2 behind an 8-speed auto would be a beast that would have Ranger Drivers (and us BT50 people) soiling themselves at red lights if any Tritons were around. :mrgreen:

Perhaps. 8 speed transmissions are big, which is, in part, why the Amarok doesn't have low range, relying on high (numerical) ratios in the first couple of gears. At the other end, in most 8 speeders, everything from 4th on is an overdrive. Great for economy but overdriven gears don't take kindly to massive weights hanging off the back so become a bit useless if towing. A 6 speed gearbox, retaining a proper transfer case is more likely to give 4 "heavy duty" gear ratios, making it actually better for towing. 1st gear can be made a higher ratio, further improving off road performance and, in conjunction with the better low range ratio in the MQ, would be a giant killer.

While the Ford 3.2 is a nice smooth engine, my Pajero, with its lowly 5 speed auto, eats them for breakfast. Yet, on paper, they have very similar specifications. Gearing is everything and overcomes the ancient technology in the 4M41. Now, a bigger capacity version of the engine in the MQ would have me drooling in anticipation...

peter9231 wrote:Are you for real??
Its to stop you accidentally driving up the footpath and in to a café.
Not when you take off from the traffic lights.

I am. I quoted that section from the article in full and it does not say that implementation of this feature is subject to detection of nearby objects. If this is the case and the feature works as you say then I'll agree that it is a good feature and that it was poorly explained in the article.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby WUNSIE on Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:16 pm

8 speed auto,s what a gimmick, my brother has a new DMax and fair dinkum it gives you the shits with the constant hunting between 5 and 6, which are both bloody overdrives , who wants to have a second overdrive that a 6,2 litre HSV would be battling to maintain, he was saying even along the Nullabour towing it constantly hunted so he just left it in 5th, even unladen the slightest grade will have it dropping out of 6th
I personally cant fault the spread of ratios in the MQ , pulling a good incline heading south coming into Bulahdelah he was amazed at how the MQ held its own, 110kph, cruise on, and it just pulled like a tractor without kicking back into 4th
WUNSIE

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:34 pm

The problem I see with all these high ratio top ends is that the manufacturers don't seem to tune the gearing for our pitiful speed limits. What's the use of having having a loping ratio that's designed to cruise at 150kph?

A top ratio that delivered around 1800 rpm at 110kph would be sensible, esp if the peak toque kicked in before this.

A nine speed auto with the first three ratios in the low range and available in reverse and a two speed transfer would be awesome.

Re all the autonomous trickery, I've wondered how you'd cope with an attempted car jacking, where thugs decide to stand at both ends of your ride and the car refuses to let you run over them to get away?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby WUNSIE on Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:43 am

RHKTriton wrote:
Re all the autonomous trickery, I've wondered how you'd cope with an attempted car jacking, where thugs decide to stand at both ends of your ride and the car refuses to let you run over them to get away?

Excellent point, when you think of it !!!!!!!

Kind of makes Wolf Creek look real, eg; Heading along an outback road just on dark,some prick stands in the middle of the road waving you down and you can see he is brandishing a weapon,wether you want too or not, the vehicle is going to stop no iffs or butts :shock:
WUNSIE

Postby DavidSAnderson on Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:33 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:
While the Ford 3.2 is a nice smooth engine, my Pajero, with its lowly 5 speed auto, eats them for breakfast. Yet, on paper, they have very similar specifications. Gearing is everything and overcomes the ancient technology in the 4M41. Now, a bigger capacity version of the engine in the MQ would have me drooling in anticipation...

4M41 also uses less fuel.
My now traded Pajero, A manual with a lift, bull bar and OS tires, used around 10 - 20% less juice than the new BT50
The Mazda is an auto, and that would make a difference, but being 300+ KG's lighter than the Pajero, I assumed it would
be similar. Not crying, and it is very quiet and smooth, but it's certainly no econo-box.
DavidSAnderson

Postby snakesoup on Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:35 pm

Hey mate...which one felt it has more torque out of the paj and bt50? Pretty sure there the same figures on paper?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby DavidSAnderson on Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:04 pm

snakesoup wrote:Hey mate...which one felt it has more torque out of the paj and bt50? Pretty sure there the same figures on paper?

Pajero is 441@2000 and the BT is 470@1750
DavidSAnderson

Postby snakesoup on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:00 pm

Seat of the pants though?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby Dave on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:48 pm

I actually don't mind the looks of it.

Towing would be the real issue for some though.

All the added electronics worries me, the less electrical stuff to go wrong the better.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby alpine triton on Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:05 pm

Not sure how it will go trying to fit 285's under the new guards, look like they may have less room each end but more room above the tyre. They don't mention if the auto box ratios have changed or not with the addition of the overdrive 6th.
Adam.
alpine triton

Postby Steane on Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:13 pm

WUNSIE wrote:8 speed auto,s what a gimmick, my brother has a new DMax and fair dinkum it gives you the shits with the constant hunting between 5 and 6, which are both bloody overdrives , who wants to have a second overdrive that a 6,2 litre HSV would be battling to maintain, he was saying even along the Nullabour towing it constantly hunted so he just left it in 5th, even unladen the slightest grade will have it dropping out of 6th
I personally cant fault the spread of ratios in the MQ , pulling a good incline heading south coming into Bulahdelah he was amazed at how the MQ held its own, 110kph, cruise on, and it just pulled like a tractor without kicking back into 4th

The hunting between 5th and 6th is my pet hate with these double overdrive transmissions. I’ve been banging on about it for a while now. Just drove a Colorado that does this and on the same drive (following each other), the 5-Spd MQ still beat it (just) for fuel usage. Triton needs a lower first through to fifth to kill the lag, not two overdrives to annoy the crap out of the driver. We’ll see...

But...the 8-speed in the Paj sport is a ripper gearbox, gets the gear right every time and has none of the histrionics that these double overdrive 6-spds have. I’d have it over the 5-Spd, but I’d have the 5-Spd over a pretend 6-Spd.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Crash486 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:52 am

RHKTriton wrote:The problem I see with all these high ratio top ends is that the manufacturers don't seem to tune the gearing for our pitiful speed limits. What's the use of having having a loping ratio that's designed to cruise at 150kph?

A top ratio that delivered around 1800 rpm at 110kph would be sensible, esp if the peak toque kicked in before this.

A nine speed auto with the first three ratios in the low range and available in reverse and a two speed transfer would be awesome.

Ok so I know people will have a go but here you go. Believe these are the specs on my current vehicle .

125kW 350Nm diesel 6.5 l/100km average
Gear ratios 9 speed auto
1 4.713
2 2.842
3 1.909
4 1.382
5 1.0
6 0.808
7 0.699
8 0.58
9 0.48
R 3.8
Low range 2.92:1
Final drive ratio 3.734
Crawl ratio 48:1

Its a compromise like all vehicles and gets the job done. Don't yet love it like the Triton.

crash486
Crash486

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:28 pm

Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby aids84 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:11 am

The video mentions 265's as an option, I wonder if we'll see that here in Oz? It always seemed strange to me that while Challengers/Pajero Sports came with 265's the Triton was hampered by having 245's as the largest tyre option, which limits the size increase if you want to stay legal. Hopefully the 265 will be on the tyre placard as an optional size for all 4x4 models.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:43 am

yes that would be a great improvement, just depends if mitsubishi want to try and take on the market again with leading technology which increases the price point, or wish to maintain market share through budget pricing.

problem is that mitsubishi know what sells and that is price, so watch out for new model with a high price- history tells a tale of resale values.

be interesting to hear the marketing speak as the original release of the MQ stated that they (mitsubishi) would not be developing the "dynamic D" front look of the rest of the range in the triton, yet here we are
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Steane on Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:01 pm

I think the MQ’s tyre size has more to do with gearing and fuel efficiency. If the new 6-speed means they have tweaked the ratio spread that allows them to avoid excessive lag and improve efficiency, then larger tyres might be available stock. Doubt they’d go to 32s though.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

2019 Triton

Postby davidla on Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:32 pm

As a Baby Boomer, I'd just like to apologise - I just don't know what for. :D
davidla

Postby jcisne on Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:26 am

I don't know either, but the 6 speed automatic transmission sounds like a nice improvement. Here in Honduras it will be sold as a 2020 model, when it finally arrives. Prices will be marked up by dealers when it gets here, so I ran and bought a discounted 2019 model.
jcisne

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:44 am

I'm still trying to work out what they were thinking.

Not so long ago everyone was trying to design aerodynamic vehicles. Then the Yanks behemoth 'utes' got into the competition for the biggest frontage - more manly?

The new Triton looks like its run up the arse of something else, with only the top of the original grill showing. :lol:

Luckily, I'm not in a position or have the desire to replace the trusty old ml, which is serving well at the moment.

Seasons greetings and welcome to the site jcisne.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jcisne on Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:13 am

Thanks for the welcome, RHKTriton.
jcisne

Postby Sky Miner on Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:49 pm

Besides the 6 speed box the rest looks like just a cosmetic.....dare i say an upgrade ;) but then again there was a lot of criticism when the ML/MN 1st came out as well
But definitely don't like the barge front end on it though :lol:
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

PreviousNext

Return to Triton News