Ryan's Impulse Blue 2016 MQ Triton Build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Ryan's Impulse Blue 2016 MQ Triton Build

Postby ryanjamesmorris91 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:42 pm

Hi All,

Been on this forum a long time but never posted. I have owned a 2016 Triton for about 18 months now and built it up entirely myself. Some of the details of my build are below;

2016 GLS Manual - Impulse Blue
Purchased with 22k km and remaining 5 years free servicing and 7 years of warranty
Click to view larger picture
The day I got her home :)

List of mods so far;

ARB classic canopy with reinforcements
ARB summit bullbar colour coded
ARB 55w Fog lights
Carbon winch 9.5k lb (not yet installed)
Rhino rack vortex bars
265/70/R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W
Blade series wheels
ProVent 200 catch can
Fuel manager fuel filter
Idrive
Genuine snorkel
Tow package
Tub liner
Uniden 8060s 80ch UHF
Uniden AT500BK 5.5dB fibreglass antenna
Supernova 8.5" LED Driving lights
135ah agm battery
Projecta idc25 dcdc charger
Narva fuse panel
C-Tek MXS5.0 5A AC charger
Waeco cf40
Air On Board compressor
Air On Board 6l air tank
ORS fridge slide
Titan single drawer
Custom built wing/shelf
Switch panel
Nitto fitting
Battery disconnect switch
Internal LED lights
4x cigarette, 2x usb, 2x Anderson
Kings 2x2.5m awning
Kings 120w folding solar blanket
Ilana Seat covers
Dash mat
Neaoprene console cover
Steering Wheel cover
Window trims
Bonnet protector
Rubber floor mats
Fire extinguisher

In her current trim

Future Mods

Bilstein 40mm lift kit (very soon)
Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform
Stereo upgrade
Diff drop/Adjustable UCA
Last edited by ryanjamesmorris91 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
ryanjamesmorris91

Re: Ryan's Impulse Blue 2016 MQ Triton Build

Postby ryanjamesmorris91 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:51 pm

First Mod

Arguably the most important addition for a modern common rail diesel - Catch Can

I went with a ProVent 200 series. I didn't buy the kit because I thought the bracket and hoses could be made for considerably less with some ingenuity and engineering.

I made a bracket to mount off the brake booster, and collected some hoses from the wrecker off various models with various bends until I found something that worked. The fittings are yates from bunnings. A bit of sealant and some persuasion into the catch can housing and we're still good 40k kms down the road. I used some common snap pipe clamps to hold good pressure on all connections.

ryanjamesmorris91

Postby ryanjamesmorris91 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:00 pm

Second Mod

Arguably the second most important mod for a modern common rail diesel - Secondary Fuel Filter

I again went with a stand alone fuel filter from Ryco and decided to make my own bracket and make my own custom hoses as the kit looked too expensive for what it contained. This didn't work out so well.... Took me an entire day to fashion up a bracket only to realise I couldn't get fittings sufficient for the size hose required into the factory fuel filter. Lesson learnt.

Ended up with a Fuel Manager kit from Direction Plus, took all of about 45 minutes to install. Highly recommended kit.

While I had the bracket out on the bench, I drilled it out to mount a breather manifold for my breathers. This is also yet to go back into the truck, but will house my Rear Diff, Gearbox, Winch, and spare breathers. The MQ already has a high enough front diff breather on the fire wall. No need to fiddle with this or extend it.

ryanjamesmorris91

Postby ryanjamesmorris91 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:09 pm

Third Mod

Dual Battery set up

This was not something I had to go out and purchase as I had the battery, fridge, and most of the wiring from my previous commodore - But I was upgrading from a 'dumb' Voltage Sensitive Relay to a 'smart' DC-DC charger.

For this job I chose the Projecta IDC25. At the time it had all the features of the much more expensive Redarc BCDC25, and didn't need additional wiring and solenoids for later fitment of solar. I was able to pick one up from Supercheap with their price beat/match guarantee for around $250 or so.

I have run 4AWG cable that is fully insulated with conduit with 50A ANL style fuses at the start battery, and out of the Projecta charger. To get the wiring into the tub, there is a grommet in both sides of the front face of the tub. I cut a cross in it with a scalpel and pulled by cables through. The wiring is mostly inside the chassis rail, tucked up out of harms way. At this stage I didn't have drawers or a canopy, but made it all plug and play for when they did eventuate. The leads running from the main battery and chassis ground have a 50A anderson on the end that plugged into a stand alone battery box with a 135Ah battery, multiple cigarette sockets, and the charger on the back face. This was temporary and able to be moved around different cars, but enough to run my CF40 Waeco and a few cig socket accessories.

Last edited by ryanjamesmorris91 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ryanjamesmorris91

Postby ryanjamesmorris91 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:14 pm

Bonnet Protector and Weather Trims

Nice little additions to keep stone chips from the bonnet, and the window trims allow you to drive in the rain with the windows cracked. I ride a lot of moto, mountain bikes, go hiking, have a killer little Dachshund, and am forever looking for a little fresh air in the car, so these were a great addition for approx $100 and a lot cheaper than the factory option ones

Also added a dash mat to reduce in cab dust (or visible in cab dust)

ryanjamesmorris91

Postby ryanjamesmorris91 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:26 pm

Fourth Mod

ARB Classic Canopy

I had wanted a canopy for my truck since day 1 but was unsure between the ARB variants ($$$$$$), the Flexi-glass variants ($$$$), and some of the other less expensive brands. I had settled on a fibreglass canopy as I liked the look, and it was going to suit my moto, camping, and general weekend warrior type activities.

As luck would have it I stumbled across a like new ARB canopy down in Geelong with Rhino Rack Vortex cross bars and all the internal bracing for an absolute steal! I was very fortunate also to have a good contact who would colour match it from the greeny/grey to my Impulse Blue for not much more than a case of beer. STOKED!!

Sold my genuine hard lid for $1200, bought the canopy for $1500, painted it for a box of beers = Approx $400 upgrade

All of course fitted in the Driveway
Last edited by ryanjamesmorris91 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryanjamesmorris91

Postby ryanjamesmorris91 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:38 pm

Fifth Mod

ARB Summit Bullbar

The importance of a bullbar on an offroad or touring vehicle cannot be downplayed. It was something I had wanted to run eventually, but after a few trips up the high country, some night/dusk driving with the bikes on the back, it became clear that a bullbar was an absolute necessity. The prior trips also highlighted how in need I was of some extra lighting!

Again I was very fortunate to be able to pull some strings at ARB headquarters and get my hands on a colour matched ARB Summit bar for an absolute steal.

Just like the canopy, it was a weekend with the old man in the driveway hacking up the front of the car and mounting this huge addition to the truck.

First hickup..... They gave me a non painted MQ bar destined for another customer.

Mask up

probably the least fun I've had working on my car......

Well, the front fell off

:)

Also threw a 2.0m x 2.5m Kings awning on.

My killer snag dog Hilda
Last edited by ryanjamesmorris91 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ryanjamesmorris91

Postby ryanjamesmorris91 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:41 pm

Couple of pictures of the truck in use

ryanjamesmorris91

Postby ryanjamesmorris91 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:06 pm

Sixth Mod

Supernova 8.5" LED Driving Lights and Uniden UHF

As previously mentioned, I had been doing a lot of trips away after work on a Friday night and very quickly realised how insufficient the standard bulbs were. I am very pleased with the factory HIDs on the GLS, but the high beam was pitiful...
The need to communicate with my friends and the safety aspect of having a hard wired UHF was also vital

I tossed up between the Stedi and these Supernovas for months, and I think the cheapskate in me convinced myself into the Supernovas. They are a great light, and I am happy with them, I do somewhat regret not spending the extra $100 for Stedi, but I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference at all. These have fantastic spread, and the light that is usable is cast about 500m up the road. If you want distance go HID, there is no comparison, but these are a good light for the money, the company is based here in Melbourne and offer very good warranty support (that I'm yet to experience first hand :)) I also picked up a factory look Air On Board push button for the light switch. These are a great piece of gear that complete the look of a clean installation. The lights came with a plug and play harness that I adapted to run a fusetap directly from the fuse box for the high beam trigger. The illumination of the switch is taken from the glovebox with solder.

Border track and a night run after work on Thursday where the lights proved their worth

I picked up the Uniden 8060s with all the controls on the hand piece and the matching 5dB Uniden AT500BK. This was an extremely easy install. I bought a replacement large size switch cover (I believe it's for the heated seats control on the Exceed model) for $5 from Mitsubishi and drilled a hole in it to suit the radio grommet. The unit itself picked up power from the fuse box using an additional fusetap (I love these things!!) and it is velcro'd under the passenger seat. The Antenna wire is run around the engine bay in full conduit.

ryanjamesmorris91

Postby ryanjamesmorris91 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:47 pm

Seventh Mod

Drawer Set up

I had my eye out for drawer set up for a long while that was going to accomodate my needs to carry multiple moto bags, jerry cans, tools, bikes and wheels, hiking packs etc. but struggled to find something affordable that ticked all the boxes. I had looked at the Kings Titan dual drawers with wings, but I didn't want to sacrifice height when the fridge was in. I looked at side by side set ups with the fridge down low and a full size drawer, but again this limited how much height you could pack in, wasted space behind the fridge, and I didn't like the idea of stowing stuff on top of my fridge. I also wanted to run a fair amount of electronics in the wings with my battery hidden, along with a compressor and air tank. I had seen a few pictures on the net of people building shelf like storage areas over the wheel arch and figured- 'How hard can it be?'.

I decided to go with a Kings Titan single drawer, a fridge slide (which I got off gumtree for $50), and a side shelf that was accessible from the passenger side canopy window. The shelf was made out of a kings wing kit for twin drawers, and cut and shaped to suit the inside contours of the tub.I would build this all on the floor of the garage and test fit, before securing to the vehicle. This is where my pre-prep with the anderson plug shone allowing me to make this totally modular and with 5 large bolts, disconnecting an anderson plug, the whole system comes out.

Single drawer, Basic Panel, Shelf

Power Board with all fuses, DCDC Charger, and +ve and -ve studs.

This means there are simply 2 cables connected to the battery to run the entire system with a 150A fuse. This is also run through a disconnect switch allowing me to turn the entire system off when not in use.

Fridge Slide

Power board wired to my front electric panel. This is bolted directly to the side of the drawer with 4x 12mm bolts.

Compressor mounted under shelf. There is enough of a gap at the end of the shelf and to the tub edges for air flow. I am thinking about putting some more vents in. This is an AOB compressor. I chose this with the 6L air tank and manifold kit as it had a CFM between the 2 ARB Compressors (single and twin), and was local, reputable, and very well priced.

I mounted lights to each fold up window that are controlled form the switch panel. The 6L air tank sits behind the fridge slide and is out of view and the compressor is also run off the same switch panel, with the help of a 30A relay.

Tank with lines back into the shelf to a Nitto fittings at the main board

:) Panel has Voltmeter, 2x USB, 2x Cigarette, 1 dedicated solar anderson, 1 auxiliary anderson, Master disconnect switch (which only turns power draw off, the system can still be charged via alternator, solar, or wall with it off), Air compressor outlet, and a Scosche magnetic mount for my phone. The C-Tek AC charger is mounted in the shelf as well and can be plugged in to the wall with an extension cord

Light strip up the front on separate switch accessible from passenger side canopy window, and some extra cig sockets

Loaded up and in use as it is most weekends. Fridge full of beer, drawer full of tools and camp gear, moto gear and everything else to the right

No word of a lie :)
Last edited by ryanjamesmorris91 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
ryanjamesmorris91

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:49 pm

Wow! That's an impressive job and nicely done.

Welcome along.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby ryanjamesmorris91 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:53 pm

Thanks Chris,

Thought I should post up what I have achieved with this thing. It has been a long project to build the ultimate moto and exploration vehicle
ryanjamesmorris91

Postby ryanjamesmorris91 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:59 pm

Eighth Mod

Falken Wildpeak AT3W

The car came with some pretty nice wheels and some not so nice Chinese hula hoops... They were enough to get my feet offroad, and did okay, but their on-road capabilities were shocking and somewhat dangerous. I had considered the BF Goodrich K02s for a long time, but on a recommendation from a few mates (also in Tritons), and another very fortunate deal with a tyre shop I got myself a set of Falkens in 265/70/R17 fitted this week.

They are a remarkable improvement in grip, noise, and smoothness. They are also extremely aggressive for an A/T so I am very keen to get them offroad as soon as possible!!

They do scrub a little, so next I think I'll be throwing some Bilstein struts, on Kings in the front to support the bar, winch and lights.

Winch install to come :)

ryanjamesmorris91

Postby ryanjamesmorris91 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:19 am

Bonnet Protector and Weather Trims

Nice little additions to keep stone chips from the bonnet, and the window trims allow you to drive in the rain with the windows cracked. I ride a lot of moto, mountain bikes, go hiking, have a killer little Dachshund, and am forever looking for a little fresh air in the car, so these were a great addition for approx $100 and a lot cheaper than the factory option ones

Also added a dash mat to reduce in cab dust (or visible in cab dust)

ryanjamesmorris91

Postby ryanjamesmorris91 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:21 am

Couple of pictures of the truck in use

ryanjamesmorris91

Postby ryanjamesmorris91 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:58 am

Have just realised I have posted this in the wrong section. I have posted it over in the 2016 and onwards section now. This can be deleted if need be
ryanjamesmorris91

Postby andelect on Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:14 am

Great pictures and detail Ryan. Nice setup, like it.
How did the draw and side panel go sitting on top of the mitsi bin liner. I was considering doing the same rather than removing the bin liner first up. Any issues?
andelect

Postby TheScot on Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:09 pm

Oh wow, that is one impressive setup. Nicely work. I'm looking to buy my first Triton in a few weeks and this is giving me lots of inspiration.
TheScot

Postby ryanjamesmorris91 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:26 pm

Thanks TheScot!

A lot of thinking and planning went into it. It has turned out pretty well I reckon!

They really are an awesome car. They are significantly cheaper than hilux/ranger but I still can't see where the compromise is. I love it.
ryanjamesmorris91

Postby ryanjamesmorris91 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:44 pm

andelect wrote:Great pictures and detail Ryan. Nice setup, like it.
How did the draw and side panel go sitting on top of the mitsi bin liner. I was considering doing the same rather than removing the bin liner first up. Any issues?

Hi Andelect,

Thanks mate, it has taken a while to consider and build up, but does everything I want and need it to. The drawer set up is perfect for me. Wouldn't change a thing.

The drawer is pushed as far as it can into the back wall, and into the wheel arch on the passenger side. There are some contours of the liner that don't allow it to get all the way home, but building my own side panel I easily overcame the passenger side gap. The gap at the end now houses my little step. I thought about cutting the lower edge to allow the drawer to go all the way up to the back wall, but I was worried it would look $hit if I screwed it up, and the liners are too expensive to replace if the outcome was the same...

Were you too thinking of a kings Titan drawer? I cannot fault mine for $229. It opens, closes, and holds stuff haha
I did do the standard rebuild when I received it. I changed all the fastners and used loctite on everything to secure it.
ryanjamesmorris91

Postby Duck on Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:08 am

Ute looks good !!
Hope you put a lead on the dog to secure it to the front bar whilst traveling. I understand why you could not have such a viscous attack dog in the cab with you.
What’s next ?
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby ryanjamesmorris91 on Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:25 pm

Thanks Duck,

Yeah she can be very protective at times haha I leave on the bullbar to ward off potential thieves.

New suspension in the next month to sort out the front end droop and account for all the weight. Then I can throw my carbon winch in. Which I believe requires the bullbar to be removed...
ryanjamesmorris91

Postby ryanjamesmorris91 on Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:10 am

Ninth Mod

2 inch Bilstein Suspension Lift

So I finally bit the bullet and got myself a suspension upgrade. As seen above there is a lot of stuff that has been bolted onto the car, and it was starting to take a toll. The front had obviously drooped due the bullbar, the rear had also sagged from the canopy set up, pushing the springs and shocks into a fairly limited level of operation.

I chose the B6 shocks from Bilstein, king spring HD springs, and Fulcrum suspension's own rear leaf pack 0-300kg. Buying the kit direct from Fulcrum I was supplied with pins, shackles, bushes, centre-bearing drop kit, shortened bump stops, brake line bracket extensions & pre-assembled struts. The guys at the shop were helpful and knowledgable, and gave me some good pointers as like all mods on this car, I would be doing it myself.

So with 2 days in the driveway - The car is sitting level and taller, and rides excellent. Both springs are perfectly matched for the loads, and the damping off the new shocks is a wonderful upgrade. I'm off to the desert next weekend to give the truck a run!

ryanjamesmorris91

Postby Duck on Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:26 am

Crikey you’re a machine!! And looks well planned and executed.
Noice work.
Looking forward to mod 63 ! Fluffy dice ?
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby ryanjamesmorris91 on Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:27 pm

Duck wrote:Crikey you’re a machine!! And looks well planned and executed.
Noice work.
Looking forward to mod 63 ! Fluffy dice ?

Haha thanks Duck

What colour should I get? I was thinking some of those plastic testicles to hang from the tow bar too?
ryanjamesmorris91

Next

Return to Member Build Ups