emdub's mq gls

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

emdub's mq gls

Postby emdub on Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:30 am

First time owning a 4x4 so let the mods begin right?

First up was changing the tyres - Bridgestone Dueller A/T 265/65/17.
Click to view larger picture

Next was getting the tray sprayed with Speedliner @ Wizard Paint Repairs Fyshwick.
emdub

Re: emdub's mq gls

Postby Maxiy on Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:59 am

Tube looks schmick, Mind me asking how much it set you back ?
Maxiy

Postby emdub on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:13 pm

Maxiy wrote:Tube looks schmick, Mind me asking how much it set you back ?

Thanks Maxiy. It was $880, which seemed like a lot, but Mitsubishi were going to charge $500 for a drop in tub liner and a few mates said their liners scratched their tray and retained moisture under them.
emdub

Postby GLRkenny on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:27 pm

Welcome along mate, I have the speedliner in my tub too and have given it a hiding and so far it's held up really well, no chips or scrapes. I had t a drop in liner in my last ute and it rubbed the paint off underneath, well worth the extra few hundred dollars in my opinion
GLRkenny

Postby emdub on Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:44 am

TJM canopy fitted yesterday. Colour coded, lift up both sides plus interior light = $3100.

emdub

Postby ICKIS on Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:54 pm

Looks good mate... how are the tyres... any scrubbing?
ONLY SUCKERS PAY THE STICKER PRICE...............
ICKIS

Postby Duck on Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:19 pm

Nice work, saw the Rhinospray on Liner truck today the whole ute is spayed with Rhino, surprisingly looks great. No washing, scratching or panel damage to worry about. Wonder what a whole ute spray would cost ? Might get my flares & hard lid done.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby emdub on Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:59 am

ICKIS wrote:Looks good mate... how are the tyres... any scrubbing?

When you say scrubbing, do you mean the tyres rubbing inside the wheel arches? If so I've only been off-road once and didn't notice any.
emdub

Postby ICKIS on Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:57 pm

emdub wrote:
ICKIS wrote:Looks good mate... how are the tyres... any scrubbing?

When you say scrubbing, do you mean the tyres rubbing inside the wheel arches? If so I've only been off-road once and didn't notice any.
Yes mate... rubbing on the guards or anywhere else. I have just ordered my glx and am looking to 285 75 16s withe a lift kit same as my mn that i am trading in. Hopefully tyres will clear ... will be running gu patrol rims again as the offset suits well.....
ONLY SUCKERS PAY THE STICKER PRICE...............
ICKIS

Postby emdub on Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:45 am

So the TJM canopy has a couple of issues.

Issue 1: Damaged window seal. This must have occurred in the factory but the local dealer's "fix" is less than perfect.

Before:

After:

I probably could have lived with that, but issue 2 is a bit more concerning.

Issue 2: Canopy leaks water in through top corners of tail gate. Seems to be a design issue where the rear window seal doesn't come down far enough, but also the whole rear panel doesn't overlap the tail gate enough in my opinion.

Before:

After:

And to get the seal down further, not a replacement seal but cut up and patch the current one (this is top center of the seal):

Still leaks water. Currently waiting on call back from local TJM store.
emdub

Postby Dilligara on Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:16 am

That is very bad on a $3000 item, very bad
Andrew - White MY17 Auto.
Dilligara

Postby emdub on Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:03 am

Update: I've had to chase this issue up repeatedly with my local TJM store and TJM Head Office and here's where it's at. Only the side window seal was replaced, the rear was not.

Factory sent retrofit kit to local store who fitted it:

A quick shower from above results in:

The extra rubber flap thing helps divert water which is running down the seal, but it appears water running down between the canopy and metal window frame is still an issue. Local store would like to try and shift the canopy backwards 5-10mm to see if that helps.

The TJM Canopy factory have obviously confirmed an issue with this canopy as they have produced a retrofit kit. However, I've expressed my concern regarding the extra rubbers as they are already getting warped by closing the rear window and they are only glued on at the back. For $3,100 I expect something more robust.

What would you do?
emdub

Postby Graeme1957 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:51 am

Looking at that, I'm wondering if the TJM MQ canopy is still in the development stages. :shock:
Mate, I would be telling them they have one last chance to fix it or you want a full refund!

I have a colour coded ARB "smooth" canopy on my MN.($2,600) They extend that rear rubber sealing "tube" out over the tailgate. I'll admit that the first time I saw it I was tempted to trim it back, but when they explained why, and also why they have an aluminium channel section running down either side of the tailgate.
No rain/pressure cleaner water ingress problems.

Tailgate open.
Protruding rubber:
Aluminium Channel:

Hope that explains it... :?

Tailgate Closed
Rubber folded back
Channel "connection":
Last edited by Graeme1957 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
MY15 MN GLX TRITON Diesel Dual cab with a few bits and a never ending list.

"If that's all there is my friend, then let's keep dancing.
Let's break out the booze and have a ball."
Graeme1957
Platinum Subscriber

Postby emjayar on Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:07 am

Duck wrote:Nice work, saw the Rhinospray on Liner truck today the whole ute is spayed with Rhino, surprisingly looks great. No washing, scratching or panel damage to worry about. Wonder what a whole ute spray would cost ? Might get my flares & hard lid done.

I had my ML quoted for a full exterior respray at ~$4K, sounds like a lot but when you consider a normal respray would be in the realms of ~$10k and you would never need to have it done again... I am tempted...

Awesome build, sounds like we will have to have an adventure one day, I would be keen to see how the MQ goes.
http://www.lifesbumpyroads.com | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Driving the conversation on depression and suicide awareness and intervention for Lifeline and beyondblue
'07 ML GLXR 3.2L as seen in Australian 4WD Action issue 238
emjayar

Postby emdub on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:26 am

Graeme1957 wrote:Looking at that, I'm wondering if the TJM MQ canopy is still in the development stages. :shock:
Mate, I would be telling them they have one last chance to fix it or you want a full refund!

I have a colour coded ARB "smooth" canopy on my MN.($2,600) They extend that rear rubber sealing "tube" out over the tailgate. I'll admit that the first time I saw it I was tempted to trim it back, but when they explained why, and also why they have an aluminium channel section running down either side of the tailgate.
No rain/pressure cleaner water ingress problems.

Hmm, interesting setup. Thanks for the pics.

At this stage I don't think I'm happy spending a few grand for them to experiment with my vehicle. TJM really should have had this canopy sorted before selling it to consumers. Even if they move the canopy backwards, it will obviously increase the gap between the canopy and cab. It will also result in TJM having to bend or manipulate the black plastic/seal at the bottom of the rear window to change the angle so it's flush with the tailgate.
emdub

Postby Graeme1957 on Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:19 pm

I wouldn't be happy either! That's a lot of $$$ for what seems to be an inferior product...
And NO, I am not a "one-eyed ARB fan". Quite the opposite in fact.... Just read some of my other posts... :lol:

Hope it gets sorted out soon Emdub - and hopefully for the better...
G.
MY15 MN GLX TRITON Diesel Dual cab with a few bits and a never ending list.

"If that's all there is my friend, then let's keep dancing.
Let's break out the booze and have a ball."
Graeme1957
Platinum Subscriber

Postby emdub on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:31 pm

Well it's been a while, but hopefully my canopy woes are sorted. I won't bore you with all the details but the short version of it all is that my TJM canopy was a piece of crap and TJM head office had no solution for me. Lucky for me the local TJM arranged an awesome deal for me to upgrade to an Aeroklas canopy which looks to be a quality product. Haven't water tested it myself yet as I was told to wait 48hrs for the glue to dry/go off so will check tomorrow.

Also got a good deal on a TJM snorkel while it was in for the canopy swap.
emdub

Postby mooky on Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:50 pm

Aeroklas make the Mitsubishi OEM canopy. So basic shell is the same, big difference is the areoklas has bigger Windows and can come with central locking. You can also get a rail,kit that will allow rhino rack gear.. I got the Mitsubishi canopy. Did not know all this until after :(.
mooky

Return to Member Build Ups