Misty - my MQ Glx

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Misty - my MQ Glx

Postby Tasc4life on Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:41 pm

Sorry for the late reply mate, been a hectic week!

I have never seen anything like on a Triton yet, but it looks heavy! Especially all that weight over the back end with the tyre, ladder and drawer under the tray! I don't know how much better this chassis is compared to the MN, but I know they had plenty of dramas with bent chassis with weight too much weight back there!

I like the roof top camper system though and have considered converting mine to something like that, as they are flatter than a rooftop tent set up, and probably not much different in weight. But in saying that, like you, we tow a van pretty much 90% of our trips. I've just purchased a rv4 oztent and am going to purchase a good tarp and side awning for the side of the ute for those non caravan friendly trips! There is plenty of room in the canopy for everything I'd need to take in place of the van (except for the double innerspring lol)! I love the set up!

The jacks are definitely steel, they weigh a good 15kg each! I'd rather something lighter like alloy to be a honest! They aren't supporting a tonne or anything silly, just a few hundred max!

The guys who built mine were MW Toolboxes in Sydney. Pretty easy to deal with. They don't speak the best English (very asian) but I just emailed most things through as I started it all through eBay.

I pretty much sent everything I wanted, they priced it and drew it up into a 3d sketch. Once I had the exact dimensions of the tray bed and headboard, I just sent the exact info through and they changed it all no dramas.

With the windows, I wanted a slider at the headboard, so from Inside I could open it up (to allow for the dog to have good air flow), and a solid fixed window at the rear. When I went to pick it up they had the windows around the wrong way, which took a week to rectify!

It worked well as I have good line of sight through the revision mirror!

I haven't had any issues at all with it moving or sliding around! Originally I put it on rubber mats, but they were just a good 30kg I didn't need back there! Removed them ages ago and it still has never moved! I've had it out in some decent terrain and plenty of shaking around, but no movement!

I'll probably finish it off by throwing some aluminium boxes under the tray, the tampered type that tapper up at the rear (less likely to smash them on something). Will probably have to get them done custom as the ones around are too short, or to thin. Should finish the back end off nicely [THUMBS UP SIGN]

One other thing, the best thing I did was get the locks changes from one either side to the single three way lock in the centre of the door. It is also central locked, taped into the cars central locking so all doors lock and unlock with the same key remote! I could think of nothing worse than needing to lock and unlock uo to six different locks everything I needed something! Best 300 I spent on the whole truck!

Good luck with the ute shopping mate, and if there is anything else, just let me know! I think I'll still have the plans I had done up for mine somewhere (in emails) if your interested! Just let me know and I'll send them through.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Tasc4life

Postby Tasc4life on Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:08 pm

On Monday I had the ironman suspension removed from the rear, and replaced with Outback Armour.

I went to drop her off and the mechanic showed me the new gear! Turns out he ordered me the full kit, spring pack, bushes, u bolts, shackles, greasable pins x 6, and new shocks!

I thought he was only replacing the spring pack!! To say I was happy is an understatement!! The mechanic is just a supplier, and didn't want any part to be noncompatable with the other, so spent 1300 on the full kit (includes the few extras). Ironman foot the bill!

What a difference it has made to the way it drives! So much smoother in the back! I went for the trail spring, instead of their HD, as I love the way it flexed, and didn't want to have that change! It also retained the same height, which may subside a touch as they wear in! I they also come standard with the little shim plate to correct the diff/shaft angles.

I think the ironman foam cell were a bit overkill for the Triton, and made the ride so much stiffer, and less plush! I am happy with their after sales service though, can't complain about getting the originals replaced for free, and then an entirely new set up for free!

Would have been nice if they let me keep the ironman stuff for spares though... too much to ask for....? Lol!

Anyways, here's some pics Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture

Tasc4life

Postby snakesoup on Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:00 pm

looking schmicko mate
snakesoup

Postby Tasc4life on Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:03 pm

snakesoup wrote:looking schmicko mate

Thanks mate! I'm very happy with it! If only that was enough, haha. Still so much I want to do!

Tasc4life

Postby johno on Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:32 pm

"Good luck with the ute shopping mate, and if there is anything else, just let me know! I think I'll still have the plans I had done up for mine somewhere (in emails) if your interested! Just let me know and I'll send them through."
If you do still have them that would be great, I'll drop you a pm with my email address.
cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby Tasc4life on Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:33 pm

johno wrote:"Good luck with the ute shopping mate, and if there is anything else, just let me know! I think I'll still have the plans I had done up for mine somewhere (in emails) if your interested! Just let me know and I'll send them through."
If you do still have them that would be great, I'll drop you a pm with my email address.
cheers Johno

Yeah sweet! I'll have a dig for them :)

Tasc4life

Postby Tasc4life on Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:43 pm

I'll put them here anyways! This is the last one they sent through! All that changed was the width to 1850.

Sits perfect on my tray! Click to view larger picture

Tasc4life

Postby dustymonaro on Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:22 pm

Hi all was wondering if the berrima diesel engine data scan mentioned in this post worked as expected , their site doesnt list that it is supported only listing MN 2.5 l model cheers
dustymonaro

Postby Tasc4life on Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:04 pm

I dropped my MQ in yesterday for the gearbox to be repaired under warranty for the 3rd time.

Called last thing this arvo to check progress as I was told it should only be 3 days. I was told they haven't even looked at it to try diagnose the issue!

I cannot believe the service provided by this bloody dealer (can't speak for others), but that is ridiculous! When asked why they hadn't looked at it, I was told they are just really busy with booked in vehicles, and as mine was rushed in on short notice it isn't given priority. I was sure to let them know that when I booked my ute in three weeks ago, I was given an earlier date, but took a later date so I could get a courtesy car!

The place is a joke! I told them all about the fact there are known fixes for the MQ third gear, and Ithe fact step 1 (give it back saying nothing wrong) and step 2 (detent fix) had been done aleady. I also sent them this video to show the issues I'm facing!

https://vimeo.com/199791780

This was a standard gear change from 2nd to 3rd. It popped out 3 times through the rev range of 1500rpm to 3000rpm when I put it in 4th! No load, no towing, nothing out of the ordinary.

Getting so frustrated [FACE WITH LOOK OF TRIUMPH]

Tasc4life

Postby snakesoup on Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:34 pm

that's shithouse mate, I feel for people with shit like this as it really ticks ya off!!
snakesoup

Postby Crash486 on Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:54 am

That's crazy. Good thing you have the video in case of an accident. It's interesting that there are good dealers but very hard to find. Really hope they fix it this time.
Crash486

Postby Tasc4life on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:27 pm

T
Crash486 wrote:That's crazy. Good thing you have the video in case of an accident. It's interesting that there are good dealers but very hard to find. Really hope they fix it this time.

I was told this morning that the parts for my fix kit are 5-6 weeks away on back order!! I asked what the problem is, and what parts are required, and was told, it's just the repair kit, the don't know what's in it.. When I said they I'm not happy to drive this car in its current state, they suggested I lodge a complaint with the customer service department.

I did this and am waiting for a reply. I told the lovely receptionist that this will now be the forth time I have had the gearbox looked and this time was 3 days for a job they could have identified with me over the phone!

Once the kit arrives she said they will need the car for a further week, maybe longer which hopefully should rectify the issue.! My response was why can't they just go to the last step, the step that is confirmed to actually rectify the issue, to save further delays, further days without my car, less stress of trying to drive the car in its current state, less dramas when I'm actually trying to use the car for its intended use with my family! Not to mention how unsafe it is to have it pop out when trying to overtake on a hill or on pulling out into oncoming traffic to overtake!

Anyone have any ideas how to get it sorted the first time without more 'fixes' and just get it replaced! Anyone have a suggestion as to who or where I should direct my frustration towards??

Tasc4life

Postby DerikV on Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:36 pm

Mate
I'm looking to buy the Centre Bearing Spacer kit that you installed, but I can't seem to find it on the TJM website. Or anywhere else for that matter.

Where did you order that one from?

Any help to track one down will be much appreciated!

Thanks
Derik
DerikV

Postby Tasc4life on Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:45 pm

DerikV wrote:Mate
I'm looking to buy the Centre Bearing Spacer kit that you installed, but I can't seem to find it on the TJM website. Or anywhere else for that matter.

Where did you order that one from?

Any help to track one down will be much appreciated!

Thanks
Derik

Hey mate,

Yeah I got the centre bearing brackets from TJM, they were $100 . If you call them they will be able to order them for sure

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
Tasc4life

Postby DerikV on Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:03 pm

Much appreciated

Thanks
Derik
DerikV

Postby Joel on Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:07 am

Hi mate how did you go getting your gearbox broblem sorted?
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups