Misty - my MQ Glx

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Misty - my MQ Glx

Postby Tasc4life on Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:44 pm

Hi all,

I've been lurking around here for a few months and after finally getting a few things done I thought I better start a build thread!

I purchased Misty, an MQ Glx early December. It's my first triton and am very happy with it so far!

Started off by fitting a towbar! The young bloke approved! Click to view larger picture
Then I removed the tub and got an aluminium tray fitted by triple M trays. Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture
The rest had to wait until after the new year for fitting!

Last week I had the tough stuff (as the wife calls it) installed. Ironman deluxe bar, 9500lb winch with rope, side steps and rails, and 2inch foam cell suspension (constant in front and performance rated in rear). Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture
Took it away down the coast over the weekend with a caravan in tow and it felt great! Very noticeable change on the road! Definitely more solid through the steering.

Regarding the lift, was told I gained 35mm in the front and the full 50 in the rear but I'll have to check the paperwork for the actual heights. To be honest the rear is noticeably higher but the front seems to be pretty much the same. There is definitely a noticeable drop from front to rear. It sat a lot better with the weight of the van on the rear.

Another downside I have noticed with it is a slight vibration on take off, which goes away before second gear, and another vibration slowing down around 45-35kms. Was told it will need a wheel alignment after the suspension upgrade so this may make some changes to the vibrations.

Have had a few other issues with the idle for a while but this seems to have gone. Still a little issue with third gearing popping out instantly but will get them to fix this at 10000 service. I've got used to driving it that way and just make a point of clutch first then shift!

As for things to come, have an aluminium canopy being built at MW toolboxes. Hopefully finished by next Friday! Wheels and tyres are on the cards, along with a heap of other things to get out and make the most of it, and the new caravan with the family!

Thanks to all who make this sites what it is! It's full of good advice and plenty of information!

Cheers, Clint
Tasc4life

Re: Misty - my MQ Glx

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:52 pm

Good to see you hooking straight into it. And being smarter than me on the build-up thread. I doubt I will ever get to mine now, it would take me weeks. :oops: :oops:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Tasc4life on Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:11 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Good to see you hooking straight into it. And being smarter than me on the build-up thread. I doubt I will ever get to mine now, it would take me weeks. :oops: :oops:

I know what you mean, it was long enough as it was!
Tasc4life

Postby Dunga71 on Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:50 pm

Looking good mate,you may need a tail shaft spacer because of the increased angle from the liftthat will fix your shudder
Believe all ya see and half what ya hear
Dunga71

Postby explorer.dave on Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:43 pm

between you and Dunga your gunna cost me money :shock: this has gotta stop :lol: nice build mate, keep the photos coming.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tasc4life on Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:29 pm

Dunga71 wrote:Looking good mate,you may need a tail shaft spacer because of the increased angle from the liftthat will fix your shudder

Thanks Dunga, I'll have to have a look at that, cheers :)
Tasc4life

Postby Tasc4life on Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:34 pm

explorer.dave wrote:between you and Dunga your gunna cost me money :shock: this has gotta stop nice build mate, keep the photos coming.

Haha, mine is running thin Dave! The list just keeps growing and growing!! Thanks!
Tasc4life

Postby Tasc4life on Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:40 am

Well, I went in to pick up the aluminium canopy today! Had a feeling the whole way up that something was wrong with the windows. Get there and the first thing I did was check them out and couldn't believe it! They had put the windows on the wrong ends and one was the wrong size window!

I bloody knew something was wrong!!

Here's a few pics of what it looked like on the truck
Click to view larger picture

I had it installed to make sure all other measurements were spot on, which they were. They removed it and will be correcting the windows for installation next Thursday! Very happy with how it looked and fit to the tray!!
Tasc4life

Postby Tasc4life on Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:44 am

Tasc4life wrote:Well, I went in to pick up the aluminium canopy today! Had a feeling the whole way up that something was wrong with the windows. Get there and the first thing I did was check them out and couldn't believe it! They had put the windows on the wrong ends and one was the wrong size window!

I bloody knew something was wrong!!

Here's a few pics of what it looked like on the truck

I had it installed to make sure all other measurements were spot on, which they were. They removed it and will be correcting the windows for installation next Thursday! Very happy with how it looked and fit to the tray!!

Forgot to say, the window on the rear door was supposed to be a fixed window 760 wide by 350 high (measured to sit 300m up from floor) and the cabin side was supposed to be the slider window 760 by 260 they came in. This was to allow for better vision with the bigger window at the rear
Tasc4life

Postby Crash486 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:05 am

I really like the concept, nice job. Especially like how you can jack it up and take the canopy off. Certainly make things easier. I curse mine every time I have to load her up with bigger items or bulk.
Crash486

Postby Tasc4life on Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:23 am

Yeah thanks mate! I wanted to have both options, loading it up as a camper and keep everything dry, then setting it up (awning and awnings tent out ect) and being able to leave it on Jacks while I drive out to go get her dirty and collect wood ect.

Could still pull up next to it around camp and sleep in it, cook from it ect while on the Jacks and Chuck it back on when leaving. That's the plan anyways... Just hoping they don't muck it up this time! Was very frustrating putting it nicely!

I was going to get them to fab up something to insert between the tray and body (fill in the gap) but not sure I should bother with them! See how it goes Thursday!
Tasc4life

Postby Tasc4life on Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:49 am

I got the aluminium canopy fitted yesterday! Very happy with it!! Not only has it added a large storage area, but it has added just enough weight to assist with on road comfort! Although I reckon the Jacks alone are about 80kg in total! They won't be an all time thing!

They sorted out the windows and put them in the right spot and correct sizes. From front to back the vision is better than I anticipated..

The central locking is wired into my vehicles so all doors lock with the key remote! Very happy about that. Originally they told me they may have have a separate remote.

Here are some pics

Now to get to work on what I'll do next! Batteries, possibly water somewhere, maybe some under tray side boxes to match the canopy and fill in the darkness, lights for the canopy,power to the canopy..... And it goes on..

Have been putting it over the weigh bridge after each thing was installed to see how much it impacted overall. Loaded with the canopy, tray sides and Jack legs on board today, with full tank of fuel, it came in at 2.42 tonne.

Thats up from original weigh in (on quarter tank of fuel with Aluminium tray, no bars, winch, suspension, towbar) which was 2.08.

Prior to this canopy it came in at 2.26 tonne.

Tje extra weight made such a big difference to the vehicle on the road! Much more comfortable to drive, Like a new car again! After the suspension upgrade, when unloaded the ute was really uncomfortable, and bounced harshly on the road. Not to mention the dreaded shudder in first! I was regretting having it all installed to be honest and wished I kept the original stuff to go back in incase I could get it sorted!

Now with the added weight, the shudder is definitely less noticeable, however it is still there. But much more tolerable at the moment! Anyone having this drama in an MQ after the suspension upgrade may benefit from carting some weight around! The extra fuel use is definitely worth the comfort level in my opinion! Especially of your doing some road kms.

Anyways, that's enough for now, sorry for the long post!! Cheers!
Tasc4life

Postby ag9111 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:03 pm

Love the canopy.
I am dealing with MW for work at the moment.
Just wondering how much the canopy set you back set up like that. Was going to sketch something up for them, but that is a pretty good starting point!
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tasc4life on Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:06 pm

ag9111 wrote:Love the canopy.
I am dealing with MW for work at the moment.
Just wondering how much the canopy set you back set up like that. Was going to sketch something up for them, but that is a pretty good starting point!

Thanks ag911, the canopy set me back $4480 with everything done. It was through MW toolboxes, but went through their online guy, Michael.

I'm from the illawarra which has a company that sells their boxes, but they couldn't do the prices he could.

I'll post up the drawings for mine
Click to view larger picture. Anything they don't have just let me know, I can measure up mine or easy ever :) the only thing I altered was the overall width from 1840 to 1850 max
Tasc4life

Postby ag9111 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:12 pm

Talking to the guy at Yallah atm about some modified ute boxes for work. Small world
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tasc4life on Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:32 am

ag9111 wrote:Talking to the guy at Yallah atm about some modified ute boxes for work. Small world

Yeah small world! That's the place, hope it all works out for you!

I had other plans of building it a little shorter and no door on the rear to allow for tyre/jerry mount ect but in the end, just keep it simple really! Got nervous about the weight over the rear...

Also had it at 900 high originally, but just kept it down with the headboard. Those measurements are designed to fit the standard Triple M tray and headboard! Pretty much perfect!

The Jacks are massive too, and at least 25-30kg each, made from steel! I kind of thought they'd be Aluminium as well but I guess they are designed to hold weight... Might have to make something up to lighten them some! As they are they won't be practical to take around to use when camping.
Tasc4life

Postby DENTED on Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:03 am

Tasc4life wrote:Another downside I have noticed with it is a slight vibration on take off, which goes away before second gear, and another vibration slowing down around 45-35kms. Was told it will need a wheel alignment after the suspension upgrade so this may make some changes to the vibrations.

Tjm have also made a lower centre bearing to bring the angles better. :D
DENTED

Postby Tasc4life on Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:50 am

[/quote]
Tjm have also made a lower centre bearing to bring the angles better. :D[/quote]

Thanks for that dented, I actually have one on order, hopefully receive the call today to pick it up! $100. They sent a pic of it if your interested

Hopefully I get it so I can fit it over the weekend!

They are also ordering in the rebound bump stop they have for the Mq too so I can have a look at that. I put a pic up somewhere but ill through it here as well for anyone who may be interested.
They said the pic was at full drop (thank God!) it's $100 for the pair too.
Tasc4life

Postby Tasc4life on Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:49 am

Alright, picked up the centre bearing spacer and fitted it this morning!

This is the part

You can see the offset bracket mount position

Happy to report it completely removed the shudder on take off and on gearing down!

Install was basic and took about 30 mins. (which included refereeing the kids, eating a zinger box, and taking pictures)

This is a pic from before. You can see the rubber is a little squashed on the bottom of the bracket.

Basic steps for install
- Remove two nuts on the top side
- Lift off top half of stock bracket
- Lift tail shaft and rubber spacer out from bottom bracket and remove bottom bracket.
- Place longer half of new centre bearing into place.
- Place tail shaft and rubber spacer into new bracket
- Place new top bracket on top
- Replace nuts.

Done

This is an after pic. You can see the bracket is lower, and the rubber spacer is no longer squashed at the bottom!

Highly recommend this to anyone with a shudder after suspension lift. Definitely worth the $100 it cost! It paid for itself in the first take off to see the shake gone from the gear stick, and the missing vibrations through the wheel and stick on the way to a stop! It now feels like it did from the factory floor!!!
Tasc4life

Postby Duck on Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:22 pm

Nice work & looking good, I am a fan of the trays looks great :)
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby Tasc4life on Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:57 pm

Duck wrote:Nice work & looking good, I am a fan of the trays looks great :)

Yeah thanks mate, I'm loving the lil truck!
Tasc4life

Postby Duck on Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:02 pm

Are you putting a rtt on top as a camper ? How long does it take to get it off & back on again ?
Duck

Postby Tasc4life on Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:14 am

Duck wrote:Are you putting a rtt on top as a camper ? How long does it take to get it off & back on again ?

Im not 100% sold either way yet, but most likely just going to have a side awning and awning tent. The vehicle side of the awning tent would open up enough for me to fully access the canopy. I could empty the majority of things (bags and fridge and crap) into the tent area and sleep in the canopy. If the wife and little ones come along, I could just set up the kids beds in the tent area and we'd sleep in the canopy.

Although a roof top tent would be just as good. Sleep up top, lock everything inside canopy. Less moving and dedicated place for all bedding ect once set up is a plus!

As for time in taking it off, it's not that bad. It would take 5-10 depending on what you have handy. The Jacks use a standard hand winder (like van/trailer Jacks) but having a good cordless or rattle gun would speed this up! And undoing it from the tray is only 4 over centre latches.

The most impractical thing about it is the Jacks, they are massive and weigh about 25-30kg each. That's a lot of extra weight! They are all steel, and built to hold 1tonne each. Will definitely be trying to alter them!
Tasc4life

Postby Duck on Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:01 pm

Yes I am not a big fan of the rat, I reckon those quick pitch tents are the go & don't need to worry about falling 3 meters to your death in the middle of the night :lol:
Yes that is a lot of extra weight for the jacks, just leave it on when your are out & about.
Duck

Postby Tasc4life on Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:13 pm

Duck wrote:Yes I am not a big fan of the rat, I reckon those quick pitch tents are the go & don't need to worry about falling 3 meters to your death in the middle of the night
Yes that is a lot of extra weight for the jacks, just leave it on when your are out & about.

Haha, yeah that's a good fall! I would leave it for short stays (overnight stops), but if we are setting up for a few nights I'd hate to have to setup and pack up and setuo again every night if we were to go and explore each day. It's definitely on the list of things to sort out ;)

Wouldn't be a drama if I was solo or just with my two boys but I reckon the wife would get sick of it lol! But I guess that's what the caravans for. The box setup is for the boys only trips :)
Tasc4life

Next

Return to Member Build Ups