Misty - my MQ Glx

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Misty - my MQ Glx

Postby bodia on Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:05 am

This will always be a grey area and the level of grey will be your argument. I would measure the vertical distance between top of speed hump and roof at that point or what you hit. If this si less than the height they state then I think your argument is won. If it is what they state then it will come down to the fact that all vehicles have an overhang so ANY angle change will cause a change to the height of EVERY vehicle and so you would be arguing there allowance for this is inadequate. They will just argue though they are only stating the clearance at location and cant be required to know every vehicles overhang and what there effective height will be. In this argument I would be giving you 60% and them 40% likelihood of winning
bodia

Postby Tasc4life on Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:34 am

bodia wrote:This will always be a grey area and the level of grey will be your argument. I would measure the vertical distance between top of speed hump and roof at that point or what you hit. If this si less than the height they state then I think your argument is won. If it is what they state then it will come down to the fact that all vehicles have an overhang so ANY angle change will cause a change to the height of EVERY vehicle and so you would be arguing there allowance for this is inadequate. They will just argue though they are only stating the clearance at location and cant be required to know every vehicles overhang and what there effective height will be. In this argument I would be giving you 60% and them 40% likelihood of winning

Thanks for the input, and exactly my view. I do like those odds ;) haha
Tasc4life

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:17 am

Undergroung parking is full of 'mines'.

Years ago I reverse parked my Rocky and collected blasted fire extinguisher plumbing jutting out from the wall.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tasc4life on Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:47 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Undergroung parking is full of 'mines'.

Years ago I reverse parked my Rocky and collected blasted fire extinguisher plumbing jutting out from the wall.

Hahaha, that would have been way worse!

I git a price today for the repair of the canopy. $300 to remove the rear rack, repair both corners (straighten it back out) and weld up the split. Then re weld the rack in place.

I would have though they'd need to replace the top sheet, or the corner section at least so it's was more solid under the rack...would the alloy weld hold just as good as the sheet would if they just re well it onto the split section...?
Tasc4life

Postby snakesoup on Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:37 pm

I would be getting some extra plate welded in for strength for the rack mate, just in the corners, wouldn't need alot.
if the do straiten up the bent bits it will become very weak as ally does not like to bend of flex too much, I think $300 is a fair price but just tell them you would like some extra plating under the rack mounts welded in, if it's an extra $50 then so be it.
snakesoup

Postby Tasc4life on Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:50 pm

snakesoup wrote:I would be getting some extra plate welded in for strength for the rack mate, just in the corners, wouldn't need alot.
if the do straiten up the bent bits it will become very weak as ally does not like to bend of flex too much, I think $300 is a fair price but just tell them you would like some extra plating under the rack mounts welded in, if it's an extra $50 then so be it.

Yeah cheers [THUMBS UP SIGN] I was thinking the same thing, I was also thinking of removing them entirely and using a different rack setup.

I don't like how the racks turned out to be honest, plus if I was to mount an awning on the side of it, the canopy side door would hit the awning before fully opening up.

Been thinking about some kind of track running length ways (like a roof rail/gutter) I can mount a full rack or tradies rack..

Something like this Click to view larger picture
Would having the rack mounted like that help spread the load across the entire side, and take away the pressure from directly over the damaged corners?
Tasc4life

Postby Crash486 on Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:33 pm

Here is a link to what I think you are after. There maybe other brands but these look ok.
http://www.rhinorack.com.au/products/ro ... rts/tracks
Crash486

Postby Terror on Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:37 pm

I reckon the tradie rack you have pictured there is the way to go over the current ones
Terror

Postby Tasc4life on Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:15 pm

Crash486 wrote:Here is a link to what I think you are after. There maybe other brands but these look ok.
http://www.rhinorack.com.au/products/ro ... rts/tracks

Yeah that's what I'm looking for, I had a quick search today and came up with the same thing. It would be good if the feet on most racks would slide straight into the track just like a gutter.. Id say they do but I'll have to have a better look tomorrow! I think I have a rhino rack catalogue here somewhere.
Tasc4life

Postby Tasc4life on Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:19 pm

Terror wrote:I reckon the tradie rack you have pictured there is the way to go over the current ones

I agree mate, I wasn't really happy with them but they were cheaper at the time and the budget was pretty tight! I always planned on chopping the upright off and mounting a rack to it. That was until I saw opened the door and found it would hit a side awning.. I've been thinking of options/better ways since!

I guess something good may come from hitting the concrete wall after all!
Tasc4life

Postby Tasc4life on Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:50 pm

I think I'm not meant to have a reverse camera!

After purchasing one the other week, and finding a few connectors were left out of the packet. I return to repco to pick them up and damage my canopy racks (as outlined above).

I get the connectors and the next day fit the reverse camera, run all the wiring. I go to test it out to find it doesn't work (screen lights up but screen just flickers in and out of colour, lines everywhere and eventually, nothing at all).

So after returning to the original place they have none in stock. I contact a second store close to work and they have plenty in stock. I go pick one up.(looks exactly the same in the box) once I got it home and looked at it took it, I find the camera is a little different, and also fingerprints on the screen (hmm, I start thinking, this seems as though it's been opened and been out of its packet before).

I contact repco, told it's the same type, just the older model that was superseded by the first one I bought. Also told the fingerprints must have been from production as it was brand new. Thought , well I'm home now and have this one ready to go, I'll just install it.

First of all, I test it out without running wires everywhere and with the mirror in hand. All works well! I go and completely run wires, tape everything, cable tie everything else, fit camera. After runnung all wires to the top of revision mirror and his no everything, I went to place mirror over my mirror only to find one of the brackets is broken, and the spring doesn't pull back and hold to my original mirror!!

So fu#*ing annoyed!! Now the stores are shut as its good Friday, I don't return to work until Tuesday night to get to the store with stock! There is no way I'm removing any of the wires again, they can just swap the bloody mirror!

Seriously, the luck I have with things sometimes! End rant!
Tasc4life

Postby Tasc4life on Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:28 pm

Got the reverse camera sorted finally!! Took it back to the local store and they had some more of the newer stock in, swapped the mirror and camera over without needing the wiring removed!

The camera is pretty good, and the mirror monitor works well. The newer model mirror has a slight tint to it which removes some of the glare from the screen, making it easier to see. It will serve me well.

Will throw up a few photos when i get a new phone with camera (my camera lens fell out).

Cheers :)
Tasc4life

Postby Tasc4life on Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:43 am

On the road again!
Click to view larger picture

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Tasc4life

Postby Tasc4life on Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:26 pm

Took off on a trek today and put Misty through some decent terrain!

Been staying Merimbula since Sunday, and today decided to head off to the bush! So I jumped onto the hema app on my phone and found a little loop out to Myrtle Mountain in the South East Forests National Park, then head another way through to the Wolumla Peak lookout then continue through back to tarmac.

This was the loop

Started around lunch and exited Pambula on the Mount durragh road. Turned off the tarmac onto kingfisher road and continue through to Myrtle Mountain road which goes through to the lookout!

Lovely place with a few fire places and a great view!

Tasc4life

Postby Tasc4life on Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:28 pm

We jumped back into the ute and carried on to the Wolumla Peak lookout. You jump back onto the Myrtle Mountain road, and take the second exit - Yarammie Link which leads to the Wolumla Peak Road.

This is where it started to push Misty, and a few of the wife and kids nerves! Pretty loose rock through here with some small stepped sections. The final few hundred metres to the lookout were pretty steep and I would not like to be going down them! This was about the limit I think the wife and kids would go, but Misty was just cruising up! Very happy with how she handled the rough rock even with the stock tyres! Then we made it to the lookout

The young bloke approved!

Then we continued along the Wolumla Peak Road until reaching and turning right onto Rats Valley Fire road.

This section was pretty grown over with no fresh tracks at all. Looked beautiful though and she got a few new pin stripes for the effort! Pretty steep decent through here too but low range second took care of it! This continues through to the Rats Valley road which leads to chalk Hills road and back to Mount Durragh road!

Got back to Pambula shops at 3:15.

All in all was a great day for anyone around Merimbula/Bega area! There may be other better tracks but this was a good trek for no idea of the area!

The ute performed flawlessly and I'm so happy, even with the ironman suspension

Biggest drama I had was with the Hema Explorer app, it stopped tracking twice and just froze, both times at crucial points where I needed to turn. I had to shut it down and restart it then it would just go black. Was pretty frustrating but I just restarted the phone and it came good. Made the recording stop which was annoying, and left gaps in the trek! Will definitely invest in a gps for future trips! The app was just too unreliable!

It does show the highest point of the trip was at 758mtrs which was the Wolumla Peak lookout!

Anyways, thanks for looking!

Tasc4life

Postby Tasc4life on Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:46 pm

Thought I'd drop a line and a brief update on how Misty is travelling!

She's had a few new additions since the last post.

Took this picture today, she's starting to really come together!

New things since last post;

Suspension - had the rear springs replaced by ironman after the knock returned. Nothing they did stopped it returning, so they pulled em out and replaced them with a new set. Done about 7500 on them so far and nil issues.

Roof rack - removed the old racks (after partially removing one driving under a carpark) and put on a rooftop tent rack from 4wd Supacentre. It's holding up well and was light on the pocket! Perfect size for the rear canopy as it allows for the side doors to open perfectly. I should allow enough room for a awning on one side when the money permits.

LEDs in the canopy - got hold of packs of LEDs from jaycar, mounted them into the canopy on magnetic reed switches. They work well and nothing better than having the light come on as the canopy door opens! Also have a battery and a heap of other electrical work through the canopy but don't have pics yet, it's a bit of a work in progress ;)

Rims and tyres - bought a set of second hand Mitsubishi 16-inch alloys for $340 (with decent A/T tread) off Gumtree and painted them up satin black. Had a set of 5 bfg KO2's 265/75/16 thrown on. So happy with these and kicking myself now for not having done it sooner. Git the benifit of the ARB compressor promo too! Hope that turns up soon! Had so many issues with the stock tread. 1 puncture 4wding by putting a small stone through the side wall, one just kept giving me grief with a slow leak. Another had a slow leak from a screw going through it, and the forth one had a severally worn edge from no wheel alignment after the lift! Only good one left of the 5 is the spare lol!

30,000km service - $635 with Mitsubishi. Apparently the initial cap price of $580 doesn't include a hand break adjust! One things for sure, no lubricant hit the suspension components I can tell you like they listed. And the $1. 50 they charged for fluid must only equal half of the bottle as it was less than half full when I saw it! Bloody hopeless there! One good thing is they reset my fault code for the air bag light and replaced the gear detents to stop the third gear popping out! Much better feel through the gears now!

Been on plenty of trips with the family with plenty of good times had! Too much to go through in one post in one night! Still plenty on the cards for little Misty!! I'll throw some more uo soon!

Cheers!

Tasc4life

Postby josho86 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:40 pm

your rig is coming along really nice there mate, liking the new tyre and rims.

hows the ironman bar work holding up ?
josho86

Postby Tasc4life on Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:04 am

josho86 wrote:your rig is coming along really nice there mate, liking the new tyre and rims.

hows the ironman bar work holding up ?

Thanks mate, she's proving to be a very capable truck!

The bar work is holding up okay I guess. I'm a picjy bugger and a few things have annoyed me a little.

There is a section on the Bullbar where the paint has flaked off (about 50cent peice) and it's clear the surface rust is what's caused the paint to flake. I'm scared to think what else would be under the paint! It's not even a year old.

I had issues with the side steps hitting the underside of the cab, which took some crazy angle grinder work and packing to stop it from contacting each other!

Aside from those the bar work is fine! The Bullbar shutters around on heavy bumps but it's mounted solid (not the only bar to do this though). Overall I'm happy with the bar work, but given my time over, I don't think I'd go with ironman again. Just seems a little less refined than others out there, but I guess, you get what you pay for.

Tasc4life

Postby Tasc4life on Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:23 am

Tasc4life wrote:

New things since last post;

Suspension - had the rear springs replaced by ironman after the knock returned. Nothing they did stopped it returning, so they pulled em out and replaced them with a new set. Done about 7500 on them so far and nil issues.

Looks as though I jinxed myself! After having the suspension rear leaf packs replaced by ironman, all was going well! That is until I took it off road (meaning onto dirt roads with some bumps, corrugations and slight hill climbs an AWD would manage) and the knock in the rear started to return!

Now, after spending last week down the coast and doing a run out to shallow crossing and crossing the river twice, the suspension is knocking as bad as it ever did before! Bloody spewing!

I spoke to a rep today and he basically said it's an isolated issue as no one else has reported it. Been given the option to either swap out to their heavy duty 'c' rate spring, or swap them for an entirely different brands rear spring.

Not sure what to do. I don't want to upgrade to a heavy duty spring as I was happy with the ride at the weight I carry. Plus others have commented on how heavy duty springs affect their performance off road.

Been given a few brands to choose from (provided by the 4wd shop doing the the work)

Tough dog
EFS
Old man emu
Outback armour

Not sure what to do! On one hand I'm pissed that it's happened again, but I've been happy with the efforts they are going to to keep me happy I guess.

Tasc4life

Postby josho86 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:31 am

If it was me i would swap the rear springs for OME. Might as well if its not costing you any more then original price
josho86

Postby Tasc4life on Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:29 pm

josho86 wrote:If it was me i would swap the rear springs for OME. Might as well if its not costing you any more then original price

It's an option, I'm just a little worries about the height they offer. Their website selector shows a rear height lift of only 20mm??

http://www.oldmanemu.com.au/site/wp-con ... W&ccode=AU

The ironman rear springs gave me the full 50mm.

Have you got the OME fitted?? If so what were your lift height in the rear?

Tasc4life

Postby johno on Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:43 pm

Hi Tasc, I have been reading your story about "Misty" with envy!
I have been on this site for a while now but have been very inactive of late, the last few years haven't been good for me.
My trusty Ml hasn't been used much in the last few years being a manual, so I'm in the process of looking for a new ute (auto this time!!I had to have a rebuild on my clutch foot :roll: )
What I'm thinking of doing is just what you have, get rid of the body and put a tray on....now we are on some land this will be useful for me. But, not so good when you are traveling.
The main thing I was interested in was how you now feel having the pod on the back???
To me the concept of being able to remove it when not needed is great.
I have heaps of questions for you, but won't fire them at you all at once.
To me the way you have gone is value for money, do you still see it that way??
Thanks for the write up, it was very valuable to me.
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby Tasc4life on Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:42 pm

johno wrote:Hi Tasc, I have been reading your story about "Misty" with envy!
I have been on this site for a while now but have been very inactive of late, the last few years haven't been good for me.
My trusty Ml hasn't been used much in the last few years being a manual, so I'm in the process of looking for a new ute (auto this time!!I had to have a rebuild on my clutch foot :roll: )
What I'm thinking of doing is just what you have, get rid of the body and put a tray on....now we are on some land this will be useful for me. But, not so good when you are traveling.
The main thing I was interested in was how you now feel having the pod on the back???
To me the concept of being able to remove it when not needed is great.
I have heaps of questions for you, but won't fire them at you all at once.
To me the way you have gone is value for money, do you still see it that way??
Thanks for the write up, it was very valuable to me.
Cheers Johno

Hi johno, thanks for the kind words mate! I live the setup I have, I would change nothing about the tray and canopy! I barely remove the canopy, but have built it so it is easily removed! I'm not a tradie so don't need the tray as such, but I hated the idea of having the body tub on there with the usual canopy!

It is so practical for every application! The canopy holds everything I need and it all stays dry! I can lay sideways inside the canopy on a 1200 wide mattress and still have all my gear in there! I'm still playing around with the lights, switches and wiring side of things but it's coming along!

Any questions you gave mate just ask away! I'm happy to help out where I can!

Cheers, Clint

Tasc4life

Postby johno on Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:54 am

Thanks for the reply Clint, I have to agree with you about how useless the tub and canopy set up is!!
I thought a canopy was a good thing, but have found out otherwise since. Plus, my home use has changed heaps as well and it would be handy around the farm.
The drama that I had when I got my canopy, I don’t want to go there again! :twisted: :twisted:
So, the people that made yours were good to deal with??
Can you explain what you have done with the windows?? Two windows? (so that you can see right through)
Have you had any troubles with it moving/ rattling??
You say that the legs are steel?? Any others that I have been looking at were made of aluminium, strange that they do them in steel!!
The hard bit so far has been to get a ute! There’s not much available locally so I’ll have to look further away and travel to look at it.
Thanks again for answering my Q’s sorry if they seem dumb, I just want a smooth purchase after my last episode!
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby johno on Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:38 am

I've just been doing a bit more research ......Have you seen the latest from MW and triton????

http://www.tritontradiecampercombo.com.au/
It's a bit more than what I want!!
I looked at the car yard photos, it doesn't look too bad, as I said, more than what I want it would be a waist for me as I will always take the caravan.
johno
johno

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups