MQ TRITON by ICKIS

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

MQ TRITON by ICKIS

Postby ICKIS on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:18 pm

Hi All.... this build thread has been a while in the making...
I said goodbye to my faithful and trusted 2012 MN late last October,, and traded it in on a new MQ glx auto...mmm...

Have had a few issues with photo bucket... didn't really want to post this pic til later as the story unfolded.... so dramatic :lol:

I will try to start again shortly

[img]http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/ickis1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-02-01%2022.33.49_zpsgrgvx52s.jpg.html][/img]

Click to view larger picture
Last edited by ICKIS on Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ONLY SUCKERS PAY THE STICKER PRICE...............
ICKIS

Re: MQ TRITON by ICKIS

Postby Terror on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:00 am

That looks bad ass :twisted:
Terror

Postby mattz on Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:17 am

Looks good.
Have you noticed much difference in how it drives compared to the mn?
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby triton_guru on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:05 am

I like the rims haha they look awesome
triton_guru

Postby Dunga71 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:00 am

looking good mate,love mine so far :?
Believe all ya see and half what ya hear
Dunga71

Postby ICKIS on Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:46 pm

mattz wrote:Looks good.
Have you noticed much difference in how it drives compared to the mn?

I am a bit unsure as this one is auto. .. still breaking it in... only got 2500 on the clock.. My mn was chipped and 3 inch zaust for the last 2 yrs so in went better.... but I have a chip on the way from Germany at present... should see it in about 10 days.
I just fitted the lift kit last week and 33's (285 75 16's) on saturday.. makes a difference.... I had an issue with speedo being out heaps ... 118 on speedo = 110 on gps (tried 3 of them ) and now have gone the other way with speedo reading under 2 to 3ks at highway speeds... best of all have dropped 400 rpm at 110
....now only doing 2000 to 2050 rpm at 110 and fuel economy has improved .... the 33"s are 11.6 % bigger rolling diameter than the 245 60 16 stockos... over all economy seems better... and it now looks tough. Will post more pics as i get photo buckets sorted
ICKIS

Postby ICKIS on Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:45 pm

OK ... lets try this again and hope the photobucket gods smile on me :?

Day 1... stock as a rock with tub liner and factory snorkel... went an auto this time cause I'm getting lazy??
[imgClick to view larger picture][/img]
and said goodbye to my far from stock MN after 3 awesome years...
ICKIS

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:48 pm

Yeah, looking forward to the transformation love the look in the first post
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby ICKIS on Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:02 pm

Being fairly new and as a few have found there is not too many after market accessories to go for. I had decided to go for the meat and potatoes mods first up... tow bar, bullbar , suspension and wheels / tires.

The TAG towbar was $400 cash supply only from a local tow bar shop in Miami Gold Coast... came with hitch and towball, load rated shackles and wiring harness with plug. its 3.1 T ratedand took 2 bourbons to fit...

I had to wait 7 weeks for the Dobinson lift kit to be available ... but as I had Dobinsons on my MN and was wrapped with it I decided to wait it out... In the mean time I got my bullbar sorted .. also a Dobinson product.. which the supplier ( 4WD Accessories Direct in Slacks Creek QLD) told me it was actually the same as the MMC bar with different insert for fog lights and indicator.. and $300 cheaper. So for $1250 supply only I got my bar home, and as its is a complete replacement, not a bumper chop... I thought I could handle it.
The instructions were not to bad and common sence and beers prevailed!

on went the winch cradle and brackets

Da Daaa....Click to view larger picture
Last edited by ICKIS on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ICKIS

Postby ICKIS on Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:19 pm

Next on the list as I am a tradie... was a set of racks / rollbar etc.

The GLX does'nt come with a sports bar... just the steel headboard type bar.. so out come the angle grinder and gave it a chop. Treated the metal with killrust and then started to frankenstein the tub.
I sourced 2 MN roll bars ( cause MQ ones are rare and expensive)and an "as new" toneau cover which came with one of the barsfor $90 total from Gumtree :) . The MN sports bar sits higher above the roof line cause the MQ tub has higher sides.... the suited my purpose well to keep stuff clear of the roof paintwork and give room to tie ropes and straps etc. I took the legs off the second one... and made a set of crossbars and small posts to carry the alloy rack on the curved rollbars... gave them all an etch prime then satin black.
I kept the alloy rack I custom made for the MN and fitted on top.. it may also end up satin black shortly.
I also hd the second of the pair of Rhino racks roof bars from the MN in the shed as I only used one... with a little adjustment (with a hammer :? ) it now fits the MQ

ICKIS

Postby ICKIS on Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:23 pm

did somebody say "EGR Blank" well I did... Ebay $10 delivered.....

sorry... I didnt take pics of the install as was racing the rain and my driveway is my workshop... :roll:

ICKIS

Postby ICKIS on Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:40 pm

OK ... fast forward ... Xmas ... kids...holidays ... blah blah blah .....

LIFT KIT!!! Its finally arrived mid January... so of to see Pedder at Slacks Creek just up the road from the supplier....on a Saturday morning.... fitting was included in the $1950 lift kit price from 4WD Accessories Direct at Slacks Creek.
The kit also included a tail shaft spacer and fitting included a wheel alignment. 3 yr product warranty and workman ship from Pedders warranty.

New ride heights after install... I didnt measure before the lift... oops but you can compare to your stock heights

front is 775mm both sides measured from bottom edge of rim
[img][IMG]http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag368/ickis1/Mobile%20Uploads/20160125_232715_zpsalrrlbat.jpg[/img][/img]

rear is 860mm measured from bottom of rim

[img][IMG]http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag368/ickis1/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-02-01%2022.26.22_zpsbi4tpime.jpg[/img][/img]
ICKIS

Postby ICKIS on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:20 pm

OK... now we have room is time for new rubber ... and wait ... yes its "33's" on a new MQ....lol :D
The rubber of choice is my favourite ... and the best muddy in many peoples opion... BFG KM2 285 75 16.
And yes they fit!... ( once I had a little worf to the mudflaps :o . They needed about 3mm out of the centre,,, so I took about 6mm to be sure and no rubbing or issues anywhere.

The key I think .. and I may be wrong cause I'm no expert.. just an enthusiastic amatuer with power tools :twisted: is the right wheel offset.
I got lucky and bought off Gumtree ( one of my favourite parts shops....) a set of 4 alloys by ROH . they are 16 x 7 with a +ve 10 offset. I believe they were the optional luxury alloy from the 90 series Prado back in the day. OK they had a little clear coat letting go around the wheel nuts but for $100.... I was good they that. A quick rub with wet n dry and a wipe down with metho... the 2 good coats of "peel coat" which is just another brand of plasti-dip wheel paints... the colour is"Anthracite".This is one of the few wheel paints that are not a flat colour... it has a metalic flec ..almost like glitter in the the paint which is very similar to the old gun metal grey. Its from cheapa auto spares for $18 a can x 2. The day I was planning the paint them... would you believe a matching single rim was on Gumtree... brand new ... was a display rim a guy bought to hang his hose on... $30 later I had a matching spare alloy :lol:

[img][IMG]http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag368/ickis1/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-02-01%2022.28.48_zpsb1lhtwzj.jpg[/img][/img]

you can see the small rub mark just below the round black press clip... very minimal

took out more than required.. have since photo.. put a black patch on inside of mudflap section.. effectively giving another 6 - 8mm clearance

as you can see the offset and tire size fills up the gaurds nicely without hanging out too far

now the tires and lift kit are in.... the other critical measurement I can take is the clearance under the diff.... approx 25cm as I think my square had a little lean on it... at least that's what the photo looks like
Last edited by ICKIS on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ICKIS

Postby ICKIS on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:45 pm

Well that's its for now.... I do have a "Black One" plug n play chip on the way from Germany so that will be the next thing.

Here's a few more pics .... note the improved departure angle at the rear ... and I am not too sure about the front end... I think I would like to see it come up a little... maybe a 10mm spacer?? I will drink on it and see what the bank balance says :roll:

Down the track I will be looking at window tints, weather shields and bonnet protector, dual batteries .. electronic rust prevention unit... 2 3/4 inch zaust... and lots of LED lights.... just look at my old MN :lol: :oops:

[url=http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/ickis1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-02-01%2022.46.01_zpsrfzvusn7.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/ickis1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-02-012022.39.51_zpsh1t3equz.jpg.html]

ICKIS

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:53 am

Nice, I thought those rims looked like the "snowie" rims from a prado
Interesting that you could fit the 285 wide tyres to the 7" rims, good to know that option exists
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby snakesoup on Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:42 pm

looking very nice mate, now you have all the gear on it, how do you find the performance of the 2.4 ?? and what's the turbo lag like in comparison to the mn??
snakesoup

Postby ICKIS on Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:29 pm

4wd26 wrote:Nice, I thought those rims looked like the "snowie" rims from a prado
Interesting that you could fit the 285 wide tyres to the 7" rims, good to know that option exists

The 285s seem to fit well on the 7 onch rims... as you can see in thw pics... no excessive bagging on the side wall. Hope this helps out a few others looking for wheel and tire combos
Last edited by ICKIS on Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICKIS

Postby ICKIS on Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:43 pm

snakesoup wrote:looking very nice mate, now you have all the gear on it, how do you find the performance of the 2.4 ?? and what's the turbo lag like in comparison to the mn??

Since fitting the bigger rubber... I have really just started to drive it like its not a brand new car... I can say that the 2.4 in the auto does not have too much turbo lag... when compared to my manual MN... but being auto its a little different and that may just make it seem better..... but having said that... I think its a big improvement.. cant wait til my chip arrives from Germany :P

The 2.4 auto Mq does go well.. but I honestly think it benefits from a lift and firmer ride... as well as the bigger rubber. Rolling on the 285's I have dropped 400 rmp at freeway speeds.... now doing right around 2050 rpm at 110kmph.... gps speed ... as my speedo was out as mentioned above.... the 285s have also basically corrected the speedo. This has improved my economy a fair bit ... taking into account combine usuage...
I have only had the 285s on for a few days... but do a 106km ( hwy and suburbs ) round trip every day for work towing a loaded work trailer and still have dropped about 1.5 ltrs / 100 on this run....

To answer your original question... yep.... as good if not better than Mn.... but thats only my opinion :roll:
Last edited by ICKIS on Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICKIS

Postby snakesoup on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:10 pm

that's interesting that you can improve your economy by going to bigger, wider and heavier wheel and tyre package, it's great to hear!!
in my experience, going bigger I always lose power and economy, but they look a hell of a lot better...
if you don't mind what did you get for the mn $ wise, it was also a very nice looking setup, really liked your canvas canopy with the alloy bars on top!!
snakesoup

Postby ICKIS on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:01 pm

snakesoup wrote:that's interesting that you can improve your economy by going to bigger, wider and heavier wheel and tyre package, it's great to hear!!
in my experience, going bigger I always lose power and economy, but they look a hell of a lot better...
if you don't mind what did you get for the mn $ wise, it was also a very nice looking setup, really liked your canvas canopy with the alloy bars on top!!

Economy.... i guess it comes.down to rpm... the 285s have a believe it is 11.6% bigger rolling circumference ( about 262mm further every rotation than the stockos) with the 285 75 16s I am now doing much less rpm...at 60 cruising I am off turbo at 900 rpm.... 100km sits on about 1850 / 1900 rpm... 110km 2050 rpm...

With the stock 245 70 16s at 110 I was doing like 2450 rpm... and with the bigger rubber the differnce in the suburbs with stop start is not really noticeable... power still good. I dont drive it too hard as its new but am starting to " drive " it harder now. All the above figures are whilst towing my work trailer thay is pretty much right on 750kgs.
Will see how it goes once the chip gets plugged in a week or so...

Trade in.... well lets just say I was very happy and got enough to
pay out the balance of.my lease and gave me a healthy chuck towards the mq.....
When I arrived at the dealership for trade on assessment... there were 4 sales and 2 service guys going all over it... I gave the dealer principal a 2 page detailed list of all the mods.... it was there with over 500kgs of tools and barwork and extras on it.... he emailed out to his wholesale and had someone lined up to buy it within an hour.... the dealer principle himself took it for a drive and commented on how well it drove..power... handling ... comfort and all the mods and extra weight.... including a half inch of dust on the dash ( i am chippie and its us a work ute firstly and foremost ).
So there you go.... all my time and effort and about 7k I spent to do it paid off... would have probably been 15k + if someone like arb or the like did the mods. It was in excellent condition with 59k on the clock.... just 3 yo.
Last edited by ICKIS on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ICKIS

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:07 pm

Ickis, I've fixed up the links in your bullbar installation post.

Go into your profile settings on Photobucket and deselect the HTML options. Here is what mine look like.

pb_link_opts.png

I've kept the thumbnail option for those fora where members don't appreciate the time it takes, not to mention bandwidth, to download a lot of large photos. This isn't so much of an issue here. You can use the easy linking mode if you prefer but there is no need to include the "img" tags that NTN gives you - they're already in what Photobucket copies to your clipboard.

I'm really curious about how you're getting better economy out of much bigger tyres. Are you using the car's trip computer function or actual kilometres travelled and litres filled when you do a fuel stop? I also can't work out how you're able to get something like a 20% reduction in rpm at 110km/h from tyres that are nowhere near that much bigger. Generally that Aisin box has problems with bigger tyres stopping the torque convertor from locking up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby snakesoup on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:21 pm

yeah ok sweet, well whoever got the mn got them self a great rig!!
can't believe your trade price! unreal actually
snakesoup

Postby ag9111 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:48 pm

4wd26 wrote:Nice, I thought those rims looked like the "snowie" rims from a prado

BFG say a rim range of 7.5 to 9 inches for a 285 on a 16" or 7.5 to 9.5 on a 17".
From the BFG website
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ICKIS on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:57 pm

snakesoup wrote:looking very nice mate, now you have all the gear on it, how do you find the performance of the 2.4 ?? and what's the turbo lag like in comparison to the mn??

Since fitting the bigger rubber... I have really justbstarted to drive it lile its not a brand new car... I can say that the 2.4 in the auto does.not have toouch turbo lag... when comparednto my manual MN... but being auto its a little different and that may just makebit seem better..... but having said that... Inthink its a big improvement.. cant wait til mybchip arrives from Germany :P

The 2.4 auto Mq does go well.. but I honestly think it benefits from a lift and firmer ride... as well as the bigger rubber. Rolling on the 285's I have dropped over 400 rmp at freeway speeds.... now doing right around 2050 rpm at 110kmph.... gps speed ... as my speedo wasnout as mentioned above.... the 285s have also basically corrected the speedo. This has improved my economy a fair bit ... taking into account combine usuage...
I have only had the 285s on for a few days... but do a 106km ( hwy and suburbs ) round trip every day for work towing a loaded work trailer and still have dropped about 1.5 ltrs / 100 on this run....

To answer your original question... yep.... as good if now better than Mn.... but thats only my opinion :roll:
ICKIS

Postby ICKIS on Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:08 pm

I'm really curious about how you're getting better economy out of much bigger tyres. Are you using the car's trip computer function or actual kilometres travelled and litres filled when you do a fuel stop? I also can't work out how you're able to get something like a 20% reduction in rpm at 110km/h from tyres that are nowhere near that much bigger. Generally that Aisin box has problems with bigger tyres stopping the torque convertor from locking up.[/quote]

Hi... thanks for the feed back re photobucket.

As for the rpm thing... I am no expert at this....
I have used gsp speeds as the constant as my speedo was out a lot .... and based my assumptions on these figures. I have tried 3 difference gps units similtaneously (pasanger seat was busy that day) to check for accuracy

With stock tires at 110 gps speed =118 speedo at 2450rpm

285 75 16 tires at 110 gps speed = 108 speedo at 2050rpm

My fuel consumption is based on a repetitive trip using the trip computer function.... with calculation for rolling circumference difference of 11.3% or 10.5 inches or 262mm... have used 10% to allow a safety margin in calcs.
Basically allow 10% more distance traveled than recorded and apply this to litres per 100km calc... or looking at the the litres per 100 figure and reducing it by one 11th ....
eg trip computer calcs 11 litres used per 100km... the adjustment to allow that I have actually traveled 110km means I have actually used 10 ltr per 100km.
If i have got this ass about....please let me know and tell how to get it right. Cheers

My driving style may also be a factor... I dont try to accelerate hard from a stop or slow speeds, just drive normally to suit traffic etc as I am towing my work trailer. I always sit on the limit or a k or 2 over on freeway and highway... usually travel in the right (fast) lane on M1 gold coast with cruise control on.

I used a
Tire size app to get the figures... see pic

Last edited by ICKIS on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICKIS

Next

Return to Member Build Ups