Some info on Triton Drive train

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:42 pm

I've been busy collecting info on the Triton drive train so thought it appropriate to share this with all.

From the Brochure (added Challenger and Hilux for kicks) and to see if any of the bits are interchangeable.
(Note- I did not include all different combinations- just the ones I thought would be most common)

Drive Train Specs. (click on pics to get full sized)

Click to view larger picture
Interesting data- the petrol has a larger alternator than the diesel.
Petrol also gets 4.3 diff gears
Petrol is discontinued in the MN Triton

The standard tyre size on the triton is 29.5" (0.5" above the hilus standard) and the challenger with the same running gear as the MN triton is around 30.5". As you are aware increasing tyre sizes affects gearing and because the Triton has a 1:1 straight through configuration in the transfer case, this cannot be changed so let's look at the the theoretical Diff ratio required so that the drive train is returned the stock specification. This varies based on the stock diff ratios from the table above.

Ratios required to run larger tyres

this shows- poorly represented- see the required ratio column, that for the ML triton diesel (with 4.1 final ratio) that it requires 4.4 diff ratio when running on 32" tyres- nearest stock ratio is the petrols 4.3 :geek:

The MN to return to stock because of the standard diff ratio of 3.9 would require 4.2 (nearest is the ML tritons 4.1 8-) )
Interesting if you run the NM and 33" tyres you can achieve very near stock drive train ratios if running the 4.3 diffs.....

Now I have not gone further into this to check if the above will be interchangeable within the Triton range of diff carriers
But hopefully when we get confirmed info regarding the MN front ARB diff lock all will be good.

Crawler gears
And this is what I was trying to work out.
Low range transfer gears for the triton are available, we run the same transfer case as the gen2 pajeros (needs to be confirmed for the MN)

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=144&hilit=crawler
Bitsamissin wrote
Hello Mark Hardman and myself have put a lot of work into making low range reduction gears for Pajero's. They are the same gears that are sold by Marks 4WD Adapters but are actually manufactured by Hardman Bros here in Melbourne and are available for purchase direct from him.
Basically there are :-
- 2.85 which fits Gen 1 & 2 auto & 5sp (2.6, 3.0, 2.3 & 2.5 diesels) will also fit 5sp Challengers & Tritons
- 3.15 which fits Gen 2 auto (3.5 & 2.8TDI) it will fit a 5sp but with shifter rail modifications
- 3.15 which fits Gen 3 auto (3.5, 3.8 & 3.2GDI) - these gears are totally different to the earlier model 3.15 ratio
The Gen 2 3.15's will fit the ML Triton as the t/case gear part no's are the same as late model Gen 2 Paj's.
These gears transform Pajero's offroad especially if you run larger tyres as the standard gearing is barely adequate.

SO.... there are available off the shelf ratio for the transfer case of 1: 3.15 (standard is 1.9)
So A MN GLX-r fitted with 4.1 diffs and transfer case "crawler gears" will achieve a crawl ratio of 55-1 (better than a stock 5 speed manual 105 series cruiser) and nearly double that of the stock vehicle (stock MN 5 speed auto 28-1)

Very nice addition to have if increasing the tyres diameter.

So in closing there are a few items to be cleared up, but I though I would share some of the data.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby fridgie on Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:30 pm

Thanks mate, more money I want to now spend :twisted:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Re: Some info on Triton Drive train

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:00 pm

So, reading between the lines, a Super Select gearbox from a Gen II Paj with the 2.85 reduction (for my Manual V6) would be a very good thing and bolt straight in. And...if they bolt in then the DOHC motor would too. Mmmm, 165kW would be nice and help to turn those bigger tyres.

The second thing that comes to mind from this is tyre sizes. If I remember correctly ('caus' I couldn't be bothered searching) you are allowed, under the new regs, to increase up to 50mm over the largest size that is available ex-factory on ANY model in the range. Thus, the Challenger, which is bundled with the Triton as just a model variant, has 265's so it would be legal to go up to 50mm bigger?

Is the standard Paj transfer case a different ratio to ours? Could there be a benefit in a straight swap is what I'm getting at.

Quite amazing just how close the specs are between Triton and Hilux. What a shame that Mitsubishi have a No. 2 mentality and just match Toyota on almost everything (except for the power output of mine and Homer's V6).
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby salt36 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:34 pm

^^^ And Mine :D

That pajero MIVEC motor would be nice, and a Mitsi 380 crankshaft of course (3.8 litre) :D

Who am I kidding its not going to happen anytime soon :cry:

It is nice to dream though :lol: Maybe I should have bought a GT falcon....... :lol:
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Buzzy on Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:37 pm

Love your work 26, great effort
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby greeny03 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:24 pm

I thought the Hilux was 126 kw, not a biggy but just a point.
VR Triton
greeny03

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:42 pm

Thanks Greeny- your right its a typo.

I will get to making the spreadsheet more "easy on the eyes" a bit later.

ALL Mitsubishi low range ratios are 1.9 (always have been) same as the triton- so you need to source low range gears (crawler ratios) which in our case are GEN2 pajero 3.15. (even better reduction than the 2.85 8-) We were very lucky in the past to have some dedicated Mitsubishi fans that spent a lot of time and money creating the "crawler gears".

Will need to have a look again at the RTA website as to whether the challenger is "Bundled" with the Triton, mechanically they are the same, only difference is the coil rear.
Last edited by 4wd26 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby ag9111 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:51 pm

So were are you heading with this, and with the chassis you have, 26
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Joe on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:56 pm

Good job 4wd26.

I wonder if it's possible to swap the internals from a Pajera super select with the 3.15 into the ML box without super select?
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby jop on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:14 pm

ag9111 wrote:So were are you heading with this, and with the chassis you have, 26

What chassis? ;)
jop

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:33 pm

ag9111 wrote:So were are you heading with this, and with the chassis you have, 26

Last pic- Far right 1:55 low range ratio- in a MN GLR-r 5 speed auto.
need:
4.1 ratio diff gears (purchased) ;)
hardman bros crawler gear 3.15 ratio (for transfer case) cost about $1500 + fitting.

While the diffs are apart front ARB diff lock.
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby ag9111 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:39 pm

Swwweeeet dribble dribble.
Hope it all comes together for you
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mjwilmo on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:52 pm

NowForThe5th wrote: The second thing that comes to mind from this is tyre sizes. If I remember correctly ('caus' I couldn't be bothered searching) you are allowed, under the new regs, to increase up to 50mm over the largest size that is available ex-factory on ANY model in the range. Thus, the Challenger, which is bundled with the Triton as just a model variant, has 265's so it would be legal to go up to 50mm bigger?

New regs state: "The overall diameter of any tyre fitted to an off-road passenger vehicle or a commercial vehicle must not be more than 50mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the vehicle manufacturer for that model."

There are quite a few model variants of the Triton, I wouldn't think that the Challenger is one of them.. I would LOVE to be wrong though.
mjwilmo

Postby llpatrick on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:19 pm

this is a serious piece of information, that I have been looking for..

I'm intending to go 255/85R16 on my next MTs and was looking to see if there is a need to re-gear my Diffs..

I calculated to 4.4+ but no one in UK (free)forums couldn't help with it..

anyone have any idea if the ML 2.5Di-D engine is the same as the MN 2.5Di-D except for the ECU and VGT turbo?
I'm thinking of the Diff change and also the 5sp AutoBox change.

How are the MN guys taking on the Invecs-III 5sp Auto? I suppose you can cruise in top gear around 1.8~1.85k rpm doing 100km/h?
my 4sp Auto is doing 2k rpm at 100km/h
llpatrick

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:15 pm

llpatrick wrote:How are the MN guys taking on the Invecs-III 5sp Auto? I suppose you can cruise in top gear around 1.8~1.85k rpm doing 100km/h?
my 4sp Auto is doing 2k rpm at 100km/h

I have a 5spd auto MN with the 2.5 high power engine. On cruise control it sits on about 2150-2200 rpm at speeds anywhere between about 100-125kmh. Not quite sure how it manages the different speeds at the same revs but it seems to work quite smoothly.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Try-it-on on Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:35 pm

Ok, so all I'm seeing is a bunch of numbers that don't mean much to one of the technical-illiterati like myself.
So my question is, I'm running 245/65R17's that came with my MN GLX-R 5-speed manual.
I am wanting to run 245/70 R17 KM2 mud terrains. That is an increase in rolling diameter of 26mm according to the person that quoted those tyres as being the only MT that is legally going to work on my vehicle.

So which of those numbers in your post above refer to the above situation with my vehicle if I go with those tyres, and in layman's terms what do I buy and what do I tell my mechanic when I ask them to install it ?

Because I'd love the bigger tyres - not just for the grip but the 13mm extra under the guts of the vehicle - but am less thrilled at the idea of stuffing up the ratios too much because this vehicle will eventually be used off-road.
I love Terra Firma - the less firmer the more terror.
Try-it-on

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:32 pm

Tio, 245/70x17 will only give you a height increase of 12.5mm (the other half of the diameter difference is on the top of the tyre). 265/65x17 is virtually the same diameter and gives you a lot more rubber on the road.

Back on topic, this is a difference of only about 3.5% in circumference which will hardly necessitate a gearing change although your speedo will be out a bit (more).
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby 4wd26 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:00 am

TIO- the above info is provided for a bit more radical departure from the norm.

There is IMHO no need to change anything in the driveline unless going over 32" tyres in an auto and 33" tyres in the manual.

the 245/70/17 tyre is ~30.5" diameter- therefore legal, and no need to adjust gearing.

IIpatrick- I cannot confirm overseas models- but it apears that most of the items used are generic- just be careful around whether you have the superselect can effect tailshaft length?
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby SkIp on Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:40 am

You building an economical rock crawler 26 ;)
SkIp

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:10 am

SkIp wrote:You building an economical rock crawler 26 ;)

Going to try with the next triton.
Just getting together ALL the info I can to make sure it works , and you guys get the benifit of my research.
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:31 am

Right done some more research on the Triton (and where it comes from)

looking closely into the driveline heritage it becomes clear that we nearly have complete Pajero Gen 2 (post 1993) running gear.

**** disclaimer**** I have not checked part numbers.

ARB diff lock guide- tells us the diffs (fron and rear) in the triton
Compare that with the Pajero data

Front diff 8" high pinion
Rear diff 9.5"

SO.......

Ratios from the Pajero GEN 2, V6 3.5 petrol and the Intercooled turbo diesel 2.8, should also fit.

these ratios are 4.6 and 4.9

So that provides factory ratios of
3.9- MN Triton (2.5 HP diesel)
4.1- ML Triton (3.2 diesel)
4.3- ML Triton (V6 petrol)
4.6- Gen 2 Pajero (3.5 V6 petrol)
4.9- Gen 2 Pagero (2.8 ITD)

So who is the first to run 37" tyres :twisted:
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby llpatrick on Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:01 pm

26, to run the 37", how much lift is needed as a minimum? 4"?

to run 33", a minimum of 2" lift is needed, to run 35" at least 3" lift with lots of inner/outer fender trimming.

the IFS Triton, does seemsto have a limit of tire size to about 33"..

For the gear ratio list you have, Can I add
2.5 ML Man DiD: 3.9 Easy Select
2.5 ML Auto DiD: 4.1 Super Select

These are based from what I have seen in Singapore.
llpatrick

Postby jop on Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:10 pm

So.... what ratios is the 3ltr paj, flag that i'll go check.

So my 2 trucks have basically the same gear in them? 15 yrs apart.
jop

Postby Tom_Dunpeal on Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:30 am

Ok, so I'm new to the forum, and certainly not used to reading all these numbers.
My ride was factory fitted with 265/70R16 with some bridgestone HT tires. I went for the ones i'm running now, 275/75R16. but i'm meaning to go up for the 285/75R16. So, I need to re gear my diffs? both front and rear? :?: :shock:
Tom_Dunpeal

Postby Homer on Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:44 am

No mate but you'll probably feel a little bit of power loss...although there will still be plenty. Also probably some fuel economy too, but those are the trade off's for 33's ;)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Next

Return to Drive Train Components