Links to state guidelines on alternative wheels & tyres

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: Links to state guidelines on alternative wheels & tyres

Postby subi_man on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:39 am

New sticky - please report any broken or outdated links 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Joe on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:41 am

Great work subi :mrgreen:

Thanks
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby sen on Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:09 am

Triton MN GLX-R 2010 Diesel Auto
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Sen/triton-mn-glxr
Show Pony
sen

Postby Quinny on Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:09 am

The QLD one doesn't really say how big you can go with your tires though, does it...
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sen on Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:29 am

Yeah it is a pretty amateurish leaflet isn't it Quinny. Top of page 18 under Low Profile Tyres says:

The rim diameter may be varied from the standard size
but the overall diameter of the tyre must not vary by
more than +15mm or -26mm.

Widths are mentioned on page 19.
Triton MN GLX-R 2010 Diesel Auto
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Sen/triton-mn-glxr
Show Pony
sen

Postby lgd2001 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:29 am

subi_man wrote:New sticky - please report any broken or outdated links 8-)

Tas is now http://www.transport.tas.gov.au/__data/ ... Manual.pdf
lgd2001

MAXIMUM TYRE AND RIM DIAMETER REGULATIONS

Postby biggsie7 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:15 pm

Hi Mighty Triton owners.

I've been trawling the net and Govt regulations regarding maximum allowable tyre and rim size increases for ADR MC Category Vehicles.

Some people (including tyre dealers) have mistakenly told me that 15mm is the maximum increase allowable. This is true for 2WD passenger vehicles and softies but... For 4WD Passenger vehicles I have documentation from the National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification Section LS that states (i've copied and pasted the relevant bits)...

The overall diameter of any tyre fitted to:
4WD passenger vehicles specifically designed for off-road use (typically MC ADR category). 4WD goods vehicles and their 2WD equivalents if the chassis and running gear are essentially the same as the 4WD version (N ADR category); or any medium weight goods vehicle (NA2, NB ADR category). Must not be more than 50mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the vehicle manufacturer for that vehicle.

Details are on page 21 section 4.2.4

So there you have it. Here's the link to the page so you can download the PDF. http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx. Look under VSB 14 Documents and you're after NCOP11 Section LS Suspension and Steering V2 01Jan2011.

For reference it's probably not a bad idea to print out the doc and keep it in the glove box just in case ya get pulled over by the Rozza's!

I'm off to get some bigger tyres then!!
Happy Days!!
biggsie7

Re: MAXIMUM TYRE AND RIM DIAMETER REGULATIONS

Postby killa on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:24 pm

Looks good :), still relies on individual state transport authorities adopting the guidelines but you could argue the point a little more successfully :D
Cheers,

Cal
killa

Postby biggsie7 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:52 pm

killa wrote:Looks good :), still relies on individual state transport authorities adopting the guidelines but you could argue the point a little more successfully :D

Hi Killa, I checked with QLD Transport. They referred me to the only document for Qld that has been published regarding modifications, "Queensland Transport, All about modifications to motor vehicles, 2008" this outlines the requirements for QLD. The only mention to do with tyre Diameter is on page 17 and is under the heading "Low Profile Tyres". Tyre width is mentioned later on page 19 with a maximum 1.3 times the vehicle manufacturers widest optional tyre.

you can download a copy of this document from here: http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Vehicle-modifications/Light-vehicle-modifications.aspx. It's the document link in the first paragraph, All about modifications to motor vehicles booklet (PDF, 546 KB).

Cheers
Chris
biggsie7

Postby agarath on Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:21 pm

Hi everyone

I call today Queensland Transport asking about tyre size, and the guy said the National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification (NCOP) will be adopted on November 1st, have anyone heard the same. Or they always answer the same thing so you don't call again :?
Cheers
agarath
Platinum Subscriber

Postby shortSteve on Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:54 pm

Great info, took a bit of digging to find the W.A specific ruling for wheels, tyres and lift, which answered most of my questions.

To summarise, for a 4WD offroad vehicle tyre width can be anywhere up to 1.3 times original oem spec maximum width for your vehicle or oem options for your vehicle(same model, different specs eg: glx can have 245/70/16 but glxr has 245/70/17 etc) and in some applications up to 1.5 times, but that's just huge. Tyres have to still stay within bodyline of the vehicle (flairs and extended guards can be used) providing original track isn't increased by more than 50mm.
Aspect ratio of optional tyres cannot be increased by more than 15 points (if i read that bit right?) and must be within 10 points front to rear, even if width differs.
Diameter of any tyre (except spare for temporary use) cannot exceed oem by more than 50mm, and any increase in vehicle height caused by alternate tyre/rim selection must not exceed 25mm
Vehicle can be lifted by as much as 50mm measured from original vehicle height without permits providing tracks are not decreased. This increase can consist of increased tyre diameter, suspension lift or body raise, or all of the above, providing overall lift doesn't exceed 50mm from original.

All this was a pleasant surprise to me, all i need to find now is what rim widths fit what tyre width/aspect ratio! Any idea where to start looking for that? Tried some manufacturer sites (eg, speedy wheels, tyre fitting places etc) but they only give a single width option for a size rim. eg: a 16x7 rim will ONLY fit a 245/60/16 and a 17x7.5 will ONLY fit a 265/60/17 etc.
EDIT: searched and found others running 265's on 7" rims, if the shops say it's good then that's good enough for me! Thanks :)

Hope this helps a few of the W.A readers out coz it took me a few hours to find the relevant codes.

sS
shortSteve

Postby oldplodder on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:30 am

New Qld link.

Current link does not seem to work.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehicl ... tions.aspx

Note that NCOP applies from the 1/11/2012, but not all parts apply to Qld.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/ ... 1%20v3.pdf

Regards

John C
oldplodder
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:15 am

Qld link replaced in first post. Thanks old mate. :D
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby oldplodder on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:02 am

NCOP and ESC.

In regard to my 2012 MN with electronic stability control (ESC), noticed that NCOP mentions it.
Any one delved into this?
By my reading, if a vehicle is equipped with ESC, some more thought needs to be given to increasing tyre size.

Was thinking of going from stock 245/70/16 to 235/85/16 (+58mm), since I have some spare rims and tyres left over from the previous pajero.
Talking to a friend who used to do the testing for modified trucks, getting the design change certified is not so easy.

Might stick to 245/75/16 LT.

Regards
John C
oldplodder
Platinum Subscriber

Postby lgd on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:00 am

I'm with you plodder, I think thats a "catch all" clause that we cant possibly comply with. So ive stuck to placard size. Not worth it if some insurance shark spots it and nullify any claim.
I used to be uncertain but lately I'm not so sure.
lgd

Postby 4wd26 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:45 pm

Longranger1 wrote:Only for solid axle fourbies, IFS was 15mm.

That could have changed though. I have 265/65-17's as well and that was my take on it. The tyre blokes didn't want to fit them for legal reasons. This is/was Qld legislation.

Edit: Seems to be universally ignored though. :lol:

Rules were changed/ adopted in QLD in Dec last year
this allows for a 50mm increase in diameter (25mm height increase ;) ) and also 25mm difference to wheel offset.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Safety/Vehicle%20standards%20and%20modifications/Vehicle%20modifications/Industry%20codes%20of%20practice/qldcodeofpracticevehiclemodifications1112.pdf

3.4 Wheels and Tyres
The overall tyre diameter can be increased to allow an increase of 7.5mm in vehicle height
for passenger vehicles and no more than 25mm in vehicle height for four wheel drive
vehicles (typically MC ADR category).

Tyres fitted to off-road passenger and light goods vehicles (MC, NA, NB ADR category) must
not be more than 50% wider than the vehicle manufacturer’s widest optional tyre. Tyres fitted
to passenger vehicles must not be more than 30% wider than the vehicle manufacturer’s
widest optional tyre.

The rim width must match the recommendations for the tyre fitted.
The tables of original tyres with the maximum allowable tyre and rim sizes in Clause 4.2
Non- Standard Tyres and Rims in the NCOP are applicable.

The wheel track of off-road and four wheel drive vehicles (MC, NA, NB ADR category) must
not be increased by more than 50mm beyond the maximum specified by the vehicle
manufacturer for the particular model. The wheel track of passenger vehicles, including four
wheel drives or all wheel drive vehicles certified as MA ADR category must not be increased
by more than 25mm beyond the maximum specified by the vehicle manufacturer for the
particular model.

The wheels must be contained within the bodywork or mudguards (including flares) when the
wheels are in the straight-ahead position. Adequate clearance must be available between
the tyres and the vehicle bodywork.

Speedometer accuracy must be maintained for the selected tyre and rim combination to
within the degree of accuracy specified in ADR 18 where applicable.

MC category in the ADR
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/pdf/ADR_Applicability_Summary_M_Group.pdf
3. Vehicle Category Codes:
Codes for vehicle categories and definitions are in Definitions and Vehicle Categories and can be found on web page: <http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/adr_online.aspx>
(The United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) Vehicle Category Codes are also shown in brackets in the Table.)
MA - PASSENGER CAR - A passenger vehicle, not being an off-road passenger vehicle or a forward-control passenger vehicle, having up to 9 seating positions, including that of the driver.
MB - FORWARD-CONTROL PASSENGER VEHICLE - A passenger vehicle, not being an off-road passenger vehicle, having up to 9 seating positions, including that of the driver, and in which the centre of the steering wheel is in the forward quarter of the vehicle’s ‘Total Length.‘
MC - OFF-ROAD PASSENGER VEHICLE - A passenger vehicle having up to 9 seating positions, including that of the driver and being designed with special features for off-road operation. (See Definitions and Vehicle Categories for special features)
MD - LIGHT OMNIBUS - An omnibus with a ‘Gross Vehicle Mass‘ not exceeding 5.0 tonnes.
ME – HEAVY OMNIBUS - An omnibus with a ‘Gross Vehicle Mass‘ exceeding 5.0 tonnes.

MC code
http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2012C00326/Html/Text#_Toc326158540

4.3.3. OFF-ROAD PASSENGER VEHICLE (MC)

A passenger vehicle having up to 9 seating positions, including that of the driver and being designed with special features for off-road operation. A vehicle with special features for off-road operation is a vehicle that:

(a) Unless otherwise ‘Approved‘ has 4 wheel drive; and

(b) has at least 4 of the following 5 characteristics calculated when the vehicle is at its ‘Unladen Mass‘ on a level surface, with the front wheels parallel to the vehicle’s longitudinal centreline, and the tyres inflated to the ‘Manufacturer‘s’ recommended pressure:

(i) ‘Approach Angle‘ of not less than 28 degrees;

(ii) ‘Breakover Angle‘ of not less than 14 degrees;

(iii) ‘Departure Angle‘ of not less than 20 degrees;

(iv) ‘Running Clearance‘ of not less than 200 mm;

(v) ‘Front Axle Clearance‘, ‘Rear Axle Clearance‘ or ‘Suspension Clearance‘ of not less than 175 mm each.

Alternatively, a vehicle that meets the definition of CATEGORY G - OFF-ROAD VEHICLES under Consolidated Resolution on the Construction of Vehicles (R.E.3) of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe and is in category M1.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby siwren on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:34 pm

Latest update from the NSW Transport Department for light vehicle modifications:

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... i/vsi6.pdf
Simon

See my Triton build: Si's Tri
My Shed
siwren

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:27 pm

Thanks for that mate, this is valuable information. I've started a dedicated thread on the new VSI in the exterior mods area.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Ringstinger on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:21 pm

Ringstinger

Postby mitzikatzi on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:25 am

mitzikatzi

Postby pwarren on Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:20 pm

I think the ACT link is now:

http://www.rego.act.gov.au/__data/asset ... 042015.pdf

and it's not actually all that helpful... I've a lot of reading to do it seems!
pwarren

Return to Tyres & Wheels