Jamo's Build (image heavy)

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Postby JamoGLXR on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:51 pm

Previous Ride was a 2007 BT50 DX..
Click to view larger picture
Awesome ute for 21grand, plenty of go rough when unloaded and zero traction on wet grass which is fun except when your trying to get out of your mates backyard and end up against his colourbond fence :lol:
after constant whinging from the other half about the ride and a few trips from Newcastle back home with a mate and a single cab full of Crap so it doesnt get wet.

so the search began hilux too pricey, Dmax and Colorado the works utes are terrible, a BT50 or Ranger was the fallback model but i was searching for something a little different so i was sold on a Navara d40 ST. On a Rostered day off i thought id try Mitsu and see if i could get a test drive. 45mins later i signed for a new GLXR triton 12/2009 early MN model.. a total of 6 days debt free

sitting on the lot right infront of me i couldnt resist.. now i see i should have waited for the Difflock option...
anywho came with MMCS, soft torneau and window tinting.

First Mod, fit the UHF from the BT50, install the Narva 225's and MMCS (first of many forum inspired mods)

Not really wanting to pay a couple hundred bucks for a Tub liner i opted for Heavy Duty Tub Floor Liner, which is usually marketed as Horse float matting, ARB Tie down rails were installed to help with tying in bikes primarily.
the kit comes with 6x 6mm countersunk screw, 6x 50mm wide 6mm washers and nylock nuts and is rated as good for 1.8 tonne... having little faith in that i slipped a 2x30mm mildsteel flat bar, drilled and tapped and fully fastened. sounds fairly easy but i didnt know the headboard of the tub has a lip which made the install a bit tricky for one man..
lotsa swearing later we had tying down action

Being a new model i discovered the troubles of getting accessories. a couple grand in the bank i ordered a Hayman Reese Towbar and set off to price trailers, just about to say yep ill have that 5x7 gal box trailer. i get a call 2 month wait on the towbar.. so on the way home i call in to the local ARB dealer to see what they can do. trailer money spent on ARB Deluxe Bar. best thing about Black cars.. commercial black is pretty much colour coded. quoted 4 hours one lazy monday 9 hours later.. :evil: i had red and white meat protection :lol: which worked out well the box trailer wouldnt have helped me with the first roo strike within a week out the back of Gulgong.
(photo taken at Freeflight)

2 months later Mistubishi came thru with the soft torneau cover, and a failed reverse camera plugged into the MMCS inputs in the centre console

August 2010 was a big month.. A new UHF antenna to suit some of the hilly terrain ill be exploring with mates. Its a Unity Gain 1/2wave Dipole but due to a low radiation angle it acts like 4Db 1/4wave whip. a MMCS override in hope to help with the Reverse camera but doesnt work on the RCA inputs.. but now i can use my GPS and Ipod fully while moving. a few deep water crossings where i almost lost my ute in the flow resulting in prompt purchasing of a Billet racecraft quad breather kit, still plumed only to the rear :oops: the same water adventure proved how worthless the stock HT duelers are terrible and being 17" rims there is squat all range.
is settled for Goodyear ATR's but there was only 3 in the country... so after watching tyre websites for deals i talked a tyre shop they were 31,10.5x15 in the ad for $289 into Maxxis MT672 bighorns 255/65/17 (30.1") for 299 a tyre fitted and balanced. whist waiting for the Foghorns to be fitted i walked to Supercheap and picked up some yellow 55w spread spotties and mounted them on the Rear bar for "work" lights because they are too high for reverse lights

Not happy with the Narva's ability to stay still on the bullbar i found XXX HID's on ebay which are pretty much imposter retrofitted IPF's with internal HID ballasts 35watts of Crystal clear light but feedback issues with the UHF.
Now the Bullbar Mascot, we all have nicknames for the Utes, in my crew of mates we all have different 4wd's and different colours. i ended up with "Black bullet" and strolling thru coles one day, i spotted Super Mario figurines.
bullet bill from mario, is cable tied to the bullbar

with the Bighorns, bullbar and suspected carbon and definate muddy air filter element build up i invested in a K&N air filter which has dropped me back into the 10's per 100km tested today on a trip to Sydeny to pick up my GLXR rims which look to be fitted with Kelly Safari TSR's depends on prices i get and when i get my bank ballance up a couple of zero's

For now were up to date
no doubt ill edit the above and Add more probably early march.. next chapter Lift kit install :twisted: :twisted:
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Re: Jamo's Build (image heavy)

Postby Helmut79 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:12 pm

Looking good Jamo, once the lift is in might need another run to the secret "W" place ;)
Cheers Mick

The darkness of the soul is not lighted be moving the body to another place
Helmut79

Postby kwyjibo on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:25 pm

very nice build starter! i also regret the non difflock choice.... sigh :(

like the tie down rails in the back i should some something similar with mine :)

but all in all very nice! keep up the good work :D
kwyjibo

Postby JamoGLXR on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:26 pm

that W place is Awesome, it will be good to get back there.. might need a snorkel if were to do a mud run
but i think ill be back there for sure
maybe sliders or bashplates aswell..
its always To be Continued
JamoGLXR

Postby slipn on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:09 pm

That rear tie down looks very sweet indeed!
Do you know what part number it is? Would come in very handy when tying down the mountain bikes.

Seriously wish I held out for a black Triton too... every time I see one I get jealous
slipn

Postby Tony on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:17 pm

About time you started a build thread. :D Looks nice in black too.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby JamoGLXR on Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:40 am

lol i know its only been 12 months of Forum

part numbers are
LT01 for the 1.2m tie down rail (about $50)
LR01 for a set of sliding rings for the rail (about $10)

few 6mm nuts bolts and nylock from a hardware shop
2x30mm bar from metal workshop
1 can of black gal spraypaint

sing out if u want more info on them
JamoGLXR

Postby fridgie on Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:00 am

Nice work mate ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Bad Kitty on Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:34 am

nice work Jamo! Like the idea of the extra tie points for the bike - might look at doing something like that for mine :mrgreen:
Great colour also ;)
Bad Kitty

Postby helicoptercow on Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:17 am

Nice start ... and well said 'to be continued' :lol:

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby JamoGLXR on Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:13 pm

this is very much TBC.. first thing i wanted was a trailer, i reckon that will be last now. that 2 grand could go to something more worthy.

its fairly normal story so far.. but i think some custom work might be interesting later on.. i just need my tray :lol:
JamoGLXR

Postby mad992 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:23 pm

wicked mate nice :D
mad992

Postby 61rth on Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:34 pm

Hey Jamo, like you I regretted not getting the rear diff lock. Really I didnn't have a choice. But after watching Homer drive hills like they are flat, I'm glad I didn't get the locker. Front locker all the way for me. It should work well with the LSD and TC. But that modification is a long way down the track for me.
Why does everything look like a nail when you have a hammer in your hand?
61rth
Platinum Subscriber

Postby JamoGLXR on Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:35 pm

i love them last 2 photos taken in wallaroo aka "that W place"

that last one will make me miss the tub when its a Tray
JamoGLXR

Postby JamoGLXR on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:53 pm

Future ideas

a 2nd set of rims are for preserving the Bighorns.
At the moment im looking at Kelly Safari TSR's 245/70/17 But anything from Dunlop D694's to BFG All terrains and 245/65s to 265/65s

A tray.. yes a tub looks pretty but a tray is more practical for me. if anyone has seen a MN in action its like watching a Dog with worms.. you all see it the unsightly awkward sight of feet up ass down. dimensions for now arent decided on but it has to be able to carry a Fullsized Dirtbike. once upon a time i had a wallpaper of a Ute in the Guts of sydney with 2 bikes loaded across the ute, with any luck i would like to mimic that if its not too much drama.. but be able to have a canvas canopy over it for the trips and touring
at a rough stab 1800wide 1400 long and probably alloy but id prefer steel while im into 4wd'ing and something very similar to UAVS design.
a few recessed tiedown loops, RHS Headboard with removable Rear Rack(easier for bolting onto), under tray storage boxes and Battery clamp. its probably going the be the most complicated thing i want hence the most time for it and lack of know what i want yet.. makes sense :lol:

If anyone has seem me drive they'd know ill be due for sliders.. id prefer not to have these custom but if i cant ill be designing them and getting them fabricated again and probably over engineered.. i did want sidesteps but i think they'd be pointless id only get caught up or damaging between the mounts..

2" lift is on the way 7/3/2011.. Snorkel soon after that. maybe roofracks but id like to get them after the tray. Long range Communications either HF radio or Sat phone. water storage, extra diesel..

im a big gadget fan and love the Glow of things in the cab. another idea ive been thinking about its a dash pod, pretty much bent aluminium sheet metal or warning sign bent and fixxed to the MMCS hood. to house switch banks, a few gauges or what ever you feel. more then happy to share ideas but im a fan of filing for custom fits with curves. anyone else been thinking this? better spots then the MMCS hood?

Thats another few hours in a few paragraphs.. got caught up watching TV James may getting nailed by a snatch strap :shock: :lol: :lol: :twisted: and then a few Video clips with some appealing ladies
JamoGLXR

Postby JamoGLXR on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:31 pm

Snorkels... alot of thought here and its coming down to fine details but im leaning towards the TJM.. all depends on how its piped from the entry to the airbox. but i like the way it limits the external route to me that means less Drilling into the car, less chance of rust and if in the event of coming into contact with earth (protruding dirt and rock edges) there is less chance of piercing the plastic..

on the other hand. Safari has a massive reputation, are probably a little more pricey, look a little more aerodynamic, changeable heads and socks that fit, and look to have a slightly higher Intake point and looking at
Click to view larger picture i dont recall the Safari protruding into the door seal like that either

Decisions Decisions.. :(
JamoGLXR

Postby Tony on Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:29 am

I went the safari as well made, very strong. (I have seen the weight of a vehicle on one and not hurt it) Very easy to install. I think they look OK too.
The rear entry such as what you have shown could be a pain with the ABS etc.

Cheers T
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby JamoGLXR on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:28 pm

im being Lazy on this one. its not goin to be my drama to install it, but i dont know yet this forum is hurting my head. i should just do instead of think
JamoGLXR

Postby helicoptercow on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:31 pm

do it! thats money towards other mods mate, and it cant be that hard... surely... :lol:

and if you join gibbo and i then i'm willing to go first... i think we'd be to drunk by the time we get to the end of the second :shock:

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby JamoGLXR on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:58 pm

gotta pay tafe fees for whole year when i only have to do about 3 weeks of tafe work.. slight set back for the build :( i knew it would be more hassle then worth..

but upon completion i get a couple grand of fees back reimbursement scheme thru work
JamoGLXR

Postby JamoGLXR on Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:47 pm

Since I can't drive or drink (yes I know, what a travesty crime against humanity) I have decided to save my pennies and go trayback as soon as I can drive then get lifted. So is anyone thinking of making a tri trailer? If you cover my fuel expenses the tub is yours. Pics in my shed
JamoGLXR

Postby Joe on Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:16 pm

Pity it's not an ML or I would have taken you up on that one Bender ;)
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby JamoGLXR on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:53 pm

i understand hence im getting a tray ;)
JamoGLXR

Postby Homer on Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:45 am

Why wouldn't you put the MN tub on the ML chasis Joe? Give you a better sized Tri trailer?

I'm liking the build up Bender :D Will look good with a tray back 8-)

Did you solve the HID feedback issue?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby JamoGLXR on Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:50 am

Thanx homer, its getting there slowly
nah I haven't sorted them out yet, I did try some inductors clamped around the antenna cable it's helped a little but not much. Next thing when I can be bothered is to check all the connections.. Failing that I might shift either the lights or the antenna when I get my tray.
http://steelutetrays.com.au/gallery/mit ... tray-body/
im liking the "sideburns" all tho, maybe a few tiedown points one in each corner as close as i can get and in the centre front and back like in my BT50 Click to view larger picture

4hids across the top of the tray and maybe some little lightforce halogens on the bulbar to fill in the short range but we will see how the dollars are going.. Still have sliders, 2nd spare, canopy, winch n snorkel to come yet

Damn this web sight. It keeps my wallet skinny and my insomnia peaked
Last edited by JamoGLXR on Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
JamoGLXR

Next

Return to Member Build Ups