Installing Double DIN radio (Digoptions) in MN GLX-R

Postby RockoWallaby on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:18 pm

Heya folks

As promised, I'm posting up the install for my Digoptions Lifestyle Double DIN radio in my MN GLX-R.
Much of this install will also be relevant to other brands of Double DIN radio's.
However, the GLX and GLR models have different hood and bracket systems, so much will be different for them.
Also, unsure how this compares to the ML GLX-R. If the brackets are similar, then it may be identical.
As I only have a MN GLX-R, I can't compare to anything else.

Anyways....

1. Hood and brackets.
You will need to get some parts, to install the radio into. The GLX and GLR already have these bits (Lucky buggers).
The computer hood will NOT fit...so, don't waste your time cutting it down ;)

HOOD:
Part number: 8060A079XA
Part Name: Hood-Console Meter
Cost: Around $76.00

[IMG]http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz222/rockowallaby/Triton/Double%20DIN%20Radio%20Install/P4010039.jpg[/IMG
Click to view larger picture

PLATE AND BRACKET:
The bracket and front plate fit the MN GLX and GLR.
They do NOT fit straight on the GLX-R, for the above reasons.
However!! The front plastic plate bit is needed to fill the gap between the hood and radio.
Unfortunately, there is NO GLX-R bracket kit available. It wasn't made to fit a Double DIN radio under the hood, in its standard format.
This kit is your only factory option to fill the gap (apart from making something up yourself out of ABS sheet, or out of another plate for a different vehicle somehow), so if you want a nice pretty trim around your radio, you have to use it.

Plate and Bracket Part Number: MZ360313EX
Part Name: Audio 2-DIN fitting kit
Cost: Around $105.00

Put them together and you get....

2. Remove the original Hood.
Grab it and pull it horizontally towards the rear of the car.

3. Remove the Trip Computer:
Ignore the silver bracket in the pic, from the front fascia kit. That was testing the location, and you can't use it anyway.

4. Cut & trim tabs:
Using a sharp blade or hacksaw blade, remove the tabs that stop the new radio sliding in place.

Repeat on other side...

Then remove side tabs

5. Cut, score and fold base plate:
Cut approx 3-4cm from back of base towards rear of vehicle (see pic).
Score across base from one side to another, not going right through material. You want it cut enough to fold down, BUT still strong enough to support the radio.
WATCH THE WIRES!! Don't cut any!

6. Modify original computer brackets to fit new radio and install:
The brackets supplied with the front plate are useless for the GLX-R.
You can readily modify the original trip computer brackets to work perfectly, though.
Firstly, cut the right angle tab off the back of the original bracket with a grinder. You can see it cut off the bracket in this pic.

Then find the holes on the radio to use. The rear most holes are the ones.

Position the bracket with screws in the TOP holes only!! Tighten firm, but so the bracket can be adjusted under pressure.
You'll see the bottom holes don't line up. Mark them, and drill or file them out to an oval shape. Then reinstall brackets with all 4 screws in place.

If you go as pictured with the oval holes, the unit should slide straight in!
If you want to check (which is pretty wise) put only the top 2 in, fit the unit roughly in place, fit the hood, and check clearances with the fascia plate. mine just worked perfectly! Almost dropped from the shock.
HOWEVER, don't do what I did, and scratch your fascia! Put a small towel under the unit to protect the paint.

7. Remove old radio:
You need either the proper radio removal tools, as pictured, or try some heavy wire.

Remove the original radio loom from the back of the radio. NOTE that the earth wire doesn't just pull out! It has a button clip, so press down and removes easily.

Welcome to Spaghetti central!
Feed the wires up to the new location, being careful to not bend the aerial wire too much (after removing it from it's holding clip if required)

Next, cut the end off the earth wire from the new radio loom, and put on a male spade bit, to plug into the earth wire above.

Because I'm fitting reverse cameras, I put on a double adapter bit on the earth wire, for the camera earth.

Now, as my reverse cameras are not the ones supplied with the kit, I made a special loom for my install. You'll need to follow the instructions with your cameras. Blue (back) wire to reverse lights, red to power, etc.

8 Install unit:
Add the new cable to the old loom, attach the earth and all the rest of the cables, aerials, usb, iPod, etc, and CAREFULLY slide the unit into place, taking care not to scratch the fascia beneath (remember the towel!!!) as well as not crush or compress the wires behind. Theres a small space above the radio housing, thats perfect for the GPS antenna, so use some double sided tape and secure it there.

Install the screws holding the brackets in place, and TEST it!! Now's the time to see everything works...not once the hood's on!

9. Install hood.
Push on, and clip into place, making sure the back clips (at front of vehicle) are properly in their slots

10. Trim fascia plate:
You need to cut around the fascia plate at the line indicated by the green arrows (and NOT the red pen tip). CHECK IT'S THE SAME LINE FOR YOUR INSTALL!! You may need another line to use, depending where the radio sits, although mine worked here...

Install plate around radio.

12. Install GPS SD card:
It don't work without it ;)

13. Sit back and gloat what a friggin' awesome radio you have in your Triton! :lol:

Even space now for a Single DIN UHF Radio!

Hopefully, this info will help people get started on their radio install, and make for what is really an incredibly fast job, all things considered.

It's a bloody awesome unit. For the price, you'd be hard pressed buying better, and the service so far from Matt at Digoptions has been excellent. Radio's clear, iPod works fine (but ONLY on newer iPods, incl Nano Gen 3 or newer), Nav is excellent (although the voices sometimes get a bit patched together), DVD is excellent, and everything else seems to work great. Look, a $2000 unit might be a little more...polished...but I bet it'd be hard to beat this unit for the money.

Few things could be improved. Daylight visibility (which is as much a function of the high position in the Triton as anything else, although still hard to see in the Landcruiser),iPod connectivity (ie. better interface would be nice), the prettiness of the menu's, bit vague at times on the touch sensitive screen, etc. These are trivial, and even the expensive units suffer from this sort of thing. Nothing I can't live with. You could try fitting it further back in the housing, but I prefer it closer to see. We're going to try a matt finish screen protector, from eBay, for an iPad, cut it down, and see how it goes at stopping the glare.

Still have things to check out, including OziExplorer, etc. But I'd recommend this unit to anyone. Housemate and I both bought it, and we're both stoked. Best $500 I've spent on the Triton so far. Admittedly, the extra bits have made it approach $800 installed, but still WAY cheaper than most other options there, which will cost at least $1500-$2000.

Now to install the last one in my old man's Navara :lol:

Cheers
Scotty
Last edited by RockoWallaby on Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Re: Installing Double DIN radio (Digoptions) in MN GLX-R

Postby Mattstruck on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:00 pm

any photos of the finished job Scotty ;)
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:06 pm

Good work Scotty, I'm sure there's a lot of blokes you've just saved a couple of hours of head scratching.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby RockoWallaby on Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:54 am

mattnewbie wrote:any photos of the finished job Scotty ;)

Grinz wryly. Not quite finished yet. Ran out of time making up the camera loom, and still got wires hanging out of every orifice. Hopefully this weekend, and will post pics to finish the install guide :)
Even incomplete, it looks great, have to say. What I especially like, is the fact the factory bluetooth still works. While the unit bluetooth is fine, the mike is a bit quiet. So, can use both... ;)
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Postby Homer on Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:26 pm

Nice writeup mate, will definitely take the guesswork out for others 8-)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby salt36 on Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:53 pm

Awesome Scotty, that looks like a smaller job than I thought it was going to be :D

Missed the group buy but Matt giving me $20 off :roll: , it all helps... :D
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby tokirky on Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:55 pm

For the guys who got the reverse camera, whats the little red wire for, that comes off the yellow plugs???

It doesn't make sense to me what its for???
If its worth doin' its worth doin' right !
tokirky

Postby gregned on Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:15 pm

I'm guessing the power for the camera?
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby RockoWallaby on Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:21 am

Plug it into the flux capacitor, Marty, or you'll end up in 1987 :lol:
RockoWallaby

Postby reeldreamer on Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:34 am

Any shots of the finished product?
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby tokirky on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:54 am

RockoWallaby wrote:Plug it into the flux capacitor, Marty, or you'll end up in 1987 :lol:

uuummm things were easier in 1987 i had 2 girls on the go back then :lol: :lol:
I might have to take some photo's of what i am talking about (back to the radio), there are heaps of plugs coming out the back that are unacounted for???
tokirky

Postby gutters on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:37 am

I know what you mean tokirky, I was scratching my head trying to work it out what they were for too. And of course the chinglish maunual doesn't help either.
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby RockoWallaby on Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:50 pm

Well, the camrea loom is going to have 4 wires inside. Positive power (red), negative power (black), and the 2 wires for the A/V plug. Black would go to earth. Red to reverse power, along with the blue "back" wire from the radio loom. This would trigger the radio to change to reverse view, and power the camera at the same time.
Also in the radio loom is another blue wire, for park brake. Supposed to disconnect dvd if car's moving. Stuff it, not required ;)

Guys, I have an install manual for the generic install for these radio's, whihc has all this info in it, but the issue is it's a PDF that Matt emailled to me. Happy to email it on, as well as some other bits i have, but would need an email addy.
If you want it, PM me your email, and I'll return it to you with the attachments.
Cheers,
Scotty
RockoWallaby

Postby RockoWallaby on Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:02 pm

There's a plug in the MN GLX-R which is a white, smaller rectangular one, with 16 pins, that runs the trip computer display, A/V socket in the glovebox and, most importantly, the steering wheel controls!!
Matt didn't send me one, and when emailling him, he didn't realise it was required.

It is.

So, I'm currently working with him, giving him all the schematics and plug details, to get these made up, as without them, the steering controls won't work.
If you have a MN GLX-R, and need this cable, let me know!! I'll make sure he gets the info, and can send you one once he has it.

If, for some reason, he can't, I may have another supplier of them. Will advise.

If you don't have steering controls, it won't affect you. This plug will go nowhere.
Honestly, many of the wires loose in the loom you won't need. It's an easy install...really! :lol:

Cheers
Scotty
RockoWallaby

Postby tokirky on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:23 pm

My ML fit is about the same as Rocko's MN fit, but without steering wheel controls.
I dont now what hood to use on the ML yet but everything fits and works well. Haven't sorted the camera yet.
Here's a few pic's.

Just about all of these plugs are not needed on the ML, I might chop them off to save space.

This where I put my GPS aerial, under the side cover.

What are these skinny red wires for ?? You can see the power and earth for the reverse light, the camera, then the yellow plugs fit together and one yellow plug goes to the radio.

Its a start anyway.
tokirky

Postby RockoWallaby on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:08 pm

Forget what I said about chopping the A/V cables. Didn't look at the plug end. DUR!
Those red ones in the A/V cable are likely to run +ve power to cameras along the A/V, back to the dash area, where they can be connected to the reverse light circuit. The earth on the camera can simply be connected to any metal ground point near the camera.
Matt mentioned he's likely foiund a source of after market hoods and plates, as well as fitting kits, for the Triton. Might be much cheaper than the Mitsu genuine parts. Keep him in mind if the genuine parts are difficult to get.
Scotty
RockoWallaby

Postby RockoWallaby on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:16 pm

Hmm, Tokirky, where in Brisvegas are you? If you have an option to head to Ippy, you could check my hood and plate, and see if it's going to fit?
RockoWallaby

Postby 4wd26 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:58 am

tokirky wrote:My ML fit is about the same as Rocko's MN fit, but without steering wheel controls.
I dont now what hood to use on the ML yet but everything fits and works well. Haven't sorted the camera yet.
Here's a few pic's.

Just about all of these plugs are not needed on the ML, I might chop them off to save space.

these wires would be for AV out- if you wish to connect the dvd player in the front to external screens (headrests for instance) not much point these days as the headrests have there own DVD players, but its an option.

BTW great write up- mine is a ML with a butchered factory facia- professionally installed.

will try and get a closer pic
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby RockoWallaby on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:08 am

Hey Tokirky,
If you want to remove those wires from the A/V cable without cutting them, you can press on the small slots on top and bottom with a microscrewdriver, and the plugs slide out of the socket. That way, if you want to put them back later, or use them as spares if the original ever gets damaged, they'll slot right in.
RockoWallaby

Postby RockoWallaby on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:16 am

Laughs...I just bought an unlocked original copy of iGo8 on eBay for $0.99, plus $10 delivery. Now I can put a 16GB card in the first slot ;)
Love eBay :)
RockoWallaby

Postby RockoWallaby on Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:13 pm

Finished install pics now in first post. Even got the UHF installed ;)
RockoWallaby

Postby har05l on Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:33 pm

Awesome rocko ;) , very descriptive and looks the goods 8-)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:09 pm

looks awesome- great write up- thanks for taking the time to document the process (and part numbers) ;)
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby gregned on Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:25 pm

Does anyone know if this unit has a mute function if you want to run the genuine blue tooth instead of the one in the unit?
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby RockoWallaby on Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:13 pm

Probably not, as they're independent units, without interconnection.
RockoWallaby

Next

Return to Electrical