Rig Jnr's Build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Rig Jnr's Build

Postby c-dale on Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:44 pm

G'Day All!

Have been on the Forum a while now but haven't said a proper Hello or introduced my Rig as yet. Figured now is as good a time as any :lol: . I have only started on my build up, mainly cosmetic stuff but am well on my way.

I've grown up 4 wheel driving with dad, some of my best memories are sticking my head out the front window of a BJ40 SWB Cruiser, watching the wheels splash up the creek water while hooning down the beach on Fraser. Would have been no older then 4 and life couldn't get any better than that. From that age I knew I was going to be driving fourby's or walking :lol:

My first proper 4x4 was a base model 1995 2.8lt Diesel Hilux or The Rig.

Click to view larger picture
Im the goofy lookin' one in the green and yellow.

Had many a fun trip in this one but the time came to upgrade. Had a good search around but it came down to a 100 Series Cruiser, Land Rover Defender or the Triton. For comfort, bells and whistle, looks and sheer class the choice became obvious.

This is Rig Jnr. 2006 D-iD GLX-R. Bought it with 78000 on the clock. Was also lucky enough to get one with the factory diff lock and rhino spray on liner. First trip up the beach :D

Wasn't long after getting it that I wanted to start doing it up but bought it with some extra cash we borrowed when we bought our house so was a little tight at the time and couldn't really get stuck in. :(

Exterior

Started off small and sorted out Rhino Rack track mounted roof racks with a thule bike carrier. (had the sit on top style racks but first trip up the beach with the surf ski on the roof the bloody things moved and marked the roof :x . Sorted the track mounted then and have been a happy camper since). Tinted the front windows, replaced the grills with some ebay jobbies and put some custom paint work on the rear lights.

My mate gave me the IPF Spotties (he wanted the rectangular ones for his rig) and sorted the TJM Snorkel thanks to a group buy. Also managed to rip off the stock bash plates on one of the inland tracks around Rainbow beach, so upgraded these with TJM bash plates. They came black but that didn't last long. Couple of trips up the beach had them sanded back to bare metal so painted them yellow. Few more beach trips and needed painting again so went with the current design.

Mate and I are planning to go up the Cape next year so needed some practical inclusions. The awning, 245/75R16 Maxxis Bighorns and Custom Canopy are the start of the process. Will need to replace the tyres before the cape but by that time will have a lift so will go 265's :twisted: .

Made the canopy myself as I am a tight arse :lol: but needed room to fit a fridge for our cape trip. Not a big fan of the look of regular canopies and also wanted somewhere to mount a second spare, without needing to sell a kidney to afford a Kaymar rear bar and wheel holder. Am pretty happy with the way its turned out.

Have plans for sliders, rear bar, an ultimate lift and possibly an xrox bull bar and winch

Interior

As far as the inside goes, I haven't really done much. Bought an i-pod cable that hooks up to the standard stereo and Neoprene Seat covers (The Wet Seat, from TJM). Have a reversing camera in the garage that needs hooking up :roll:

Failures

I have had a couple of other upgrades that have just not worked for me. Bought a NAFTA Performance chip. Only had it in for about 6 months, started off quite good but near the end was blowing soo much black smoke it wasn't funny. Took it off and had no change in performance or fuel economy.

Also tried a uni filter but had a limp mode within 3 days of having it installed. Sounded great with the snorkel but took it out after having to replace the MAF Sensor. Sold it to a forum member and I believe he has had no trouble with it. At least he hasn't told me of any issues :oops:

To Be Continued...
Thanks for taking the time to read my build thus far. I have a heap in mind and will update as time goes by.

Enjoy your rig, and hope to see you all on the tracks one day :D

Cheers,

Justin
Last edited by c-dale on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 12 times in total.
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Rig Jnr is Growing Up

Postby tezza08 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:18 am

very nice mate 8-) i like the canopy but it must be a pain to reverse any where :o you will love the xrox bar i fitted one to my tri ;) very cool :D
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional! :twisted:
tezza08

Postby Homer on Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:25 am

Good one mate - not another Justin :shock: :P

I like the look of that canopy you've got - looks mean. You will def need to hook up the reverse camera though...any dents in the tailgate yet? :lol:

Did you give the big hill a crack at City View?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby motoz on Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:44 am

Great post mate and a sweet looking rig !!!

I'm also a fan of the canopy. How heavy is it to lift though with the spare on the back?
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby c-dale on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:02 pm

Thanks for the comments fella's

Homer wrote:Good one mate - not another Justin :shock: :P

I like the look of that canopy you've got - looks mean. You will def need to hook up the reverse camera though...any dents in the tailgate yet? :lol:

Did you give the big hill a crack at City View?

No dints yet :lol: . Am surprised at how quickly you get used to not having the rear view mirror, mind you I am a little more wary on where I park in car parks now. Need to make it nice and easy to get out. Will be a whole lot easier once the rear view is installed, just wish I could do it myself. Have thought about trying but I would cut the wrong wires for sure! :? :lol: :lol:

I had a crack at a few of the tracks in the play area but got stuck on one of the easier ones. Don't have a lift yet and just dropped it on her guts. Don't think I did the one you are referring to, cant match up the photos of the trips the forum has done to the tracks we had a crack at. Next time mate, next time :D The side steps took an absolute beating!

motoz wrote:Great post mate and a sweet looking rig !!!

I'm also a fan of the canopy. How heavy is it to lift though with the spare on the back?

Thanks motoz. The lid is bloody heavy. Takes a bit of effort to open but once open it is easy enough to hold up with one arm (not for too long though). Part of the design was to sort out gas struts. I have spoken to a few strut places but haven't had a chance to get to any to install them yet. Will be fine once sorted.

The frame is a pretty extensive steel frame, covered with the alloy checker plate, to ensure strength. With the frame, Huge piano hinge, checker plate pop riveted every 50mm (390 rivets later!), its pretty solid. Also have four big arse bolts holding the wheel in place. All adds up weight wise but would prefer to have extra weight and have it strong than increase the risk of it falling apart on the way up the cape because i wanted to save a few kilo's.
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Froggy on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:28 pm

Ahh, the build up i've been waiting for. canopy looks good finished, i don't go up metroplex ave for work anymore so i haven't seen the finished product yet.
Looks really good!!
Froggy

Rig Jnr is Growing Up

Postby c-dale on Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:02 pm

Have been working on a roof rack. Wanted one that will fit between the bike rack and be the same height as the awning. Just need to paint it black and bolt it on :)

Cant get the pictures working. Will try tomorrow.
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mooons on Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:17 pm

Must be having a snow storm your way mate the last 2 pics are all white :lol:
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:20 pm

bring on thye piccys mate 8-)
mad992

Postby 4wd26 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:35 pm

Nice rig- I've seen it around, actually hard to miss with that canopy and tyre.
you work at Murarrie?
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby salt36 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:58 pm

Good on you Justin, as above mate that custom canopy looks 8-) as.

Make sure you contact Ultimate when you are ready for the lift, Very competitive and lots of members more than happy with their products and service......

You live so much closer to the cape than us :( sigh , one day.....
salt36
Valued Contributor

Rig Jnr is Growing Up

Postby c-dale on Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:55 am

Ok, will give these piccies another crack.

Thanks for the comments on the canopy guys. Almost have it finished. It now has gas struts and gloss black interior. Just need to insulate the lid, inner skin of white alloy sheeting then hook up the led light strip.

Not working over at marrurie anymore 26, am in the city, new job. Have had to postpone the Cape Trip till Sept. 2012 as my wife and I Have a baby due in March. Was still looking at going but I am more comfortable taking a 7mth old then a 3 mth old.

The missus has told me she wants the rig sorted before the babies due though :D asked me the other day why I hadn't bought anything for the car for a while!! Next 4 months are going to be busy, busy! ;)
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Froggy on Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:57 pm

I'd love to have those fabrication skills c-dale awesome work!
Congrats on the baby!
Taking a 7 month old to the cape sounds like a very stressful trip. For me, it'd be a once in a lifetime trip. I'd give it a few years until he/she is a bit older and able to do things for themselves.
Your Mrs sounds great letting you go to town with the mods! Maybe she could talk to mine :P
Froggy

Rig Jnr is Growing Up

Postby c-dale on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:31 pm

Not the modification to the rear that I was wanting but what can you do?? Everyone was ok so thats good, bit worried about how bent the tow bar is. Hopefully just the bar an no chassis damage.

The other fellas car

c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Excolo on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:37 pm

Ouch. I feel your pain! That brings back memories. :cry:

I hope you are okay. The Triton is a tough beast, when it happened to me (pics in shed) the damage did not effect the chassis. Have a look where the tub is close to the cabin, and see if it is closer on one side than the other. That is where my body shop person as interested after seeing the pics of the other car.

Stay safe.

Edit: just looked at my pics, you may have been hit harder. Ouch!
Last edited by Excolo on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strong like ox. Smart like tree.
Admit nothing - Deny everything - Make counter accusations.
Excolo

Postby helicoptercow on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:37 pm

good to hear everyone is ok, that's the main thing.

but hate to say it but looking at this pick alone... there is damage to the chassis rails... the bar is still bolted so somethings bent and it doesn't look like the bar.

interested to hear how insurance handles it though.

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Rig Jnr is Growing Up

Postby c-dale on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:41 pm

Yeah, thats what I am worried about cd. The hit from behind was with enough force to pop the stereo out of the dash!
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fraz91 on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:46 pm

you may find that they can bend that out so long as there aren't any bends further up the chassis. By the looks of things, the damage is just to where the towbar is mounted. I wouldn't be getting your hopes up though, it does look pretty bad. Sad to see, this was looking to be a great rig! :(

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby Froggy on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:48 pm

Chassis is bent at the rear for sure. You can see it at almost 45 degree angle.
If it's just that rear bit, then I'd imagine it will be a fairly straight forward fix.
Really sucks to see this happen to another Newtriton member!
I hope your back on the road very soon!
Froggy

Rig Jnr, bruised and broken but hopefully not out

Postby c-dale on Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:52 am

Had another look last night and each time I looked the more worried I got. The trays 'sideburns' are both pushed forward, there is a fold in the tub floor running right the way across and the top of my canopy is sitting about an inch back and is no longer parrallel with the back of the cab.

Its in the hands of the insurer now but watching her get towed away last night was bloody hard.
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Rig Jnr, bruised and broken but hopefully not out

Postby Homer on Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:01 am

Bugger mate :( looks like a big hit.

Glad at least you are OK...don't know about Rig Jnr though :( hope it comes through.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Mooons on Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:40 am

Good luck with it all mate hope it goes well
Gets me thinking how much crap I would want to pull off if mine got written off
I better have another look at my insurance
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Rig Jnr, bruised and broken but hopefully not out

Postby c-dale on Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:55 am

If it wasnt on the policy it was removed last night. Got my awning, 2nd spare, seat spacers, neoprene seat covers, spotties and dash mat. Would have taken the canopy too and put the hard lid back on had I had someone to help me lift it off.

Am really hoping I get her back but was not taking the chance with over a grand worth of gear.
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby helicoptercow on Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:03 am

best to have left the canopy anyway.... i'm sure photos were taken at the scene and with something as obvious as that missing they could turn and say its been tampered with, questioning what else has been removed ;) last thing you'd want is to have your claim refused.

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Joe on Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:20 am

Just say this. Such bad luck c-dale. I hope it all work out OK for you
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Next

Return to Member Build Ups