Random Suspension Questions

Postby daryn on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:38 am

This thread is for those random possible short answers that you may be seeking, unless you feel that you need a dedicated thread started on a larger more specific topic post here instead.

If it evolves into a more detailed discussion just ask a moderator to take the specific posts out and we will start a new separate thread for you.

We may also from time to time move other random threads into here at our own discretion.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Re: Random Suspension Questions

Postby ultimate on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:09 am

Great idea guys :)
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby Tony on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:31 am

Top idea, give us an area to discuss the different applications of our suspensions. What works for me may be no use to others for what ever reason etc ;)

If OK I may add a bit on non NTN and custom conversions . Or do we want this to stay NTN specific?

T
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ultimate on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:33 am

I like the idea of suspension in general as a technique from another vehicle may give someone the right idea for their own set up. Trailer and caravan suspension questions would also be of benefit some members ;)
The Team at
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby har05l on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:38 am

I have lots of Q's but need a little time 1st^^ ;) :twisted:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby daryn on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:09 am

Tony wrote: If OK I may add a bit on non NTN and custom conversions . Or do we want this to stay NTN specific?

T

T, I would expect that long standing members here will probably be starting specific topic threads which will have further discussion.

I am mainly aiming this thread to the new members who just need some quick direction to get their head around things or will be pointed to the correct thread already in existence.

I am sure we will all welcome other discussions on suspension.

Non-NTN topics place in Off Topic area
Camper & Caravan topics now have their own area
Triton 2005 onwards specific topics in here
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby fridgie on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:29 am

Here's one that comes up a bit....

"what are my options to increase load carrying capacity without lifting the vehicle?"
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby daryn on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:38 am

fridgie wrote:Here's one that comes up a bit....

"what are my options to increase load carrying capacity without lifting the vehicle?"

Awesome title Fridgie, thanks mate, renaming other topic to that. :D
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Tony on Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:09 pm

daryn wrote:
Tony wrote: If OK I may add a bit on non NTN and custom conversions . Or do we want this to stay NTN specific?

T

T, I would expect that long standing members here will probably be starting specific topic threads which will have further discussion.

I am mainly aiming this thread to the new members who just need some quick direction to get their head around things or will be pointed to the correct thread already in existence.

I am sure we will all welcome other discussions on suspension.

Non-NTN topics place in Off Topic area
Camper & Caravan topics now have their own area
Triton 2005 onwards specific topics in here

Only problem with that is some get buried in off topic discussion and titles. :?

I'm fine with that. Just we do some crazy stuff here that's all. ;)

Triton specific it is. 8-)
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby patto on Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:33 pm

Who wants to swap out my front struts and replace with the set i bought from AG when his first triton got written off?
I HATE THE GREENS!!!!!
patto

Postby ultimate on Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:16 am

What is the highest I can raise my Triton?
50mm is the highest you can legally raise a vehicle in Australia under "owner certification". Anything over 50mm requires an engineer’s certificate and a lot of extra components to correct the driveline angles.

Will a Lift Kit make the vehicle unstable and not safe to Drive?
If done correctly; a 50mm suspension lift will significantly improve the safety and handling of the vehicle. Even though this video does focus on a Hilux running a 4” kit, it does highlight the difference between standard and after market equipment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klbBd5_x2dg

Will a 50mm lift cause any damage to my vehicle?
If set up right; a 50mm lift will not cause any damage to the CVs or other drive line components. Most aftermarket suspension kits have been designed to raise the vehicle and keep inside it's working limits. It's important to remember that driving style and terrain does also play a big part in CV Failures and it can happen just as easily on standard suspension.

Will I get a vibration if I lift my Triton?
The tail shaft vibration is an inherent problem with ML Tritons (manual transmissions) and a very small percentage of early MNs. The vibration can occur in standard vehicles and may not always be present after a suspension lift. In most cases it is only a slight vibration through first gear. There are various methods of reducing the vibration (rotating the centre bearing, castor wedges and fitting tail shaft spacers), but the only “true” fix we have seen is brett05s cross member mod. This modification should only be undertaken by professionals and should be engineered on completion.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6394

Just to clarify: The Vibration does not normally affect MN Tritons or MLs running the automatic transmission or super select. All suspension mods from standard height to 50mm can produce the same shudder.

Do I need to extend my brake lines with a lift kit?
Every suspension lift is different and in most cases; you will not have to extend your brake lines. If your brake lines are a bit tight, extended length braided lines are available which will also improve the braking performance at the same.

How do I check to see if need extended brake lines?
Jack the vehicle up so that the rear suspension is at full droop. Inspect the two rear lines to ensure they still have enough play and aren’t stretching.

Will a Lift kit give me more wheel travel?
The Front suspension on the Triton is controlled by two bump stops. This means that most aftermarket suspension kits will not provide any more wheel travel than what is possible on the standard suspension.

The rear is a different story and in most cases you can improve the wheel travel with an aftermarket kit through the use of longer springs and shock absorbers. You do have to consider the brake lines and ABS connections when doing this.

Will an aftermarket kit ruin my down travel?
This is a very common debate and does often create a lot of confusion. With a lift kit, you normally have the same (or more) working wheel travel. It is just working in a different spot.

It is important to remember that all of the wheel travel works within an ark or range of movement. As you raise the vehicle, the suspension gets closer to its lowest point of travel and does reduce the "active" down travel (Droop) but increases the up travel (bump) at the same time. Sagging, original suspension will produce a lot more "down travel" than a lift kit because it is already closer to it's highest point of travel. This does not mean that standard suspension is more capable than a lift kit. A lift kit increases the approach, departure and ramp over angles as well as providing more flexibility and control in off road situations.

Can I body lift my Triton?
Body lifts can be fitted to a Triton but have to be engineered for street use. They can also be incredibly dangerous as they increase the centre of gravity without improving the suspension to cope with the increased dynamic forces this creates. It is highly recommended that you upgrade the vehicle’s suspension first. In most applications, this will be sufficient and provide enough height.

Can I use Strut Spacers to lift my Triton?
It is recommended that you DO NOT fit strut spacers as they put abnormal pressure on the struts, ball joints and bushes.

Are extended shackles legal?
Extended shackles are illegal for street use in most states. You should check with your local authorities before fitting these.

Can I increase the load carrying capacity without lift?
Topic Started- viewtopic.php?f=37&t=9139

Can I install the suspension myself?
All suspension kits should be installed by qualified mechanics. Sometimes this is not practical which is understandable. SubiMan did a great installation guide for a 2" lift on the Triton- viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2307

You can now also get pre-assembled struts which make the installation process a lot safer and easier. It also allows you to keep one of the original struts as a pre-assembled spare for outback touring.

What is a Torsion bar and I do I need one?
Torsion bars are a form of spring found on earlier model Tritons. They are not used on the ML/MN models so therefore are not needed.
Last edited by ultimate on Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Team at
ultimate

Postby ultimate on Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:19 am

Just thought I would throw up a few of the common questions we get asked. Please feel free to build on this or ask more questions. It would be good to build a common database so different opinions are always encouraged.
The Team at
ultimate

Postby CALMAN09GLXR on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:28 pm

Why use standard rather than larger rear shackles?
CALMAN09GLXR

Postby ultimate on Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:47 am

Extended (Larger) shackles are illegal for street use and don't provide much benefit anyway unless the whole suspension is set up to suit them.
The Team at
ultimate

Postby ML-VR08 on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:03 pm

Ultimate - i have an issue atm, not sure what it is but when im driving along it feels like the car is wobbling side to side sorta thing when i hit a bump, i get the steering wheel feedback regardless but this wobble is new, and only came since i put new alloy rims on - what could the causes be? feels like the wheel nuts are loose (but i checked and are fine) the shock bushes do seem worn and are split/cracking/stuffed lol... its hard to describe the feeling... but thats the best i could do...
ML-VR08

Postby dan_4818 on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:12 pm

Just wondering what i can expect to pay for fitting for a 2 inch lift. Pm me the prices u paid if u dont want to post. Doesnt matter where you got it done just wondering what the average price will be as i will need to get mine installed soonish when i get it.

Cheers, Daniel
dan_4818
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:44 pm

Where are you located Daniel? In some locations we could be pretty precise, others may be a bit more random.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby CALMAN09GLXR on Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:48 pm

Dan how is broad is ur mechanical knowledge?? I did mine myself and didn't find it too difficult. Took around 7 hours (not on a hoist) and 1.5 hours of the time involved finding a place that would let me use there spring compressor
CALMAN09GLXR

Postby dan_4818 on Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:27 pm

im located in townsville. i am decent on the tools. i was going to attempt it myself, just get ultimate to assemble the struts before posting. But i have read i may have to place my old boot for the shocks onto the new ones?
dan_4818
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:38 pm

Brendan will no doubt chime in later but the pre-assembled struts are now common place for Ultimate as I understand it. Not sure about boots. :?

There are 2 known mechanics near Brisbane that people would vouch for but I'm unsure about Townsville. No doubt some of our northern members will have a better idea for you.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby ultimate on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:11 pm

Ultimate - i have an issue atm, not sure what it is but when im driving along it feels like the car is wobbling side to side sorta thing when i hit a bump, i get the steering wheel feedback regardless but this wobble is new, and only came since i put new alloy rims on - what could the causes be? feels like the wheel nuts are loose (but i checked and are fine) the shock bushes do seem worn and are split/cracking/stuffed lol... its hard to describe the feeling... but thats the best i could do...

It sounds to me like a problem with the new wheels or steering. A wobble like this can be caused by
Bent rims
Missing Weights
Bad Wheel Balance
Bad Wheel Alignment (particularly castor)
Loose nuts
Wheel Bearing
Ball Joints
Steering Rack
Tyre splitting

I would also check to see if the new rims are hub-centric and fit up right. Some Alloy rims themselves are also just difficult with balancing. I run PIAA Alloy racing rims on my Prado and they are near impossible to balance. I always have a tiny bit of feedback from them especially after a day out four wheel driving. I would recommend getting another wheel balance done and see if you can spot any obvious problems with the steering.

Just wondering what i can expect to pay for fitting for a 2 inch lift. Pm me the prices u paid if u dont want to post. Doesnt matter where you got it done just wondering what the average price will be as i will need to get mine installed soonish when i get it.

Cheers, Daniel

Hi Daniel. Unfortunately I don't have anyone in Townsville yet that I can recommend. If you find anyone, please let me know ;) Usually a Triton suspension kit is calculated around 4 hours + a Wheel Alignment. This can be anywhere from $300- $600 depending on the mechanic and region. If they aren't familar with the Triton, it may take them longer.

Pre-Assembled Struts are available and they do come with new boots. Here is a photo of our struts pre-assembled.

Click to view larger picture

I do always recommend that the kits are fitted by a qualified mechanic, but if you are going to do it yourself, buzzy did do a pretty good install guide- viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2307
The Team at
ultimate

Postby hewy hacket on Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:04 pm

It sounds to me like a problem with the new wheels or steering. A wobble like this can be caused by
Bent rims
Missing Weights
Bad Wheel Balance
Bad Wheel Alignment (particularly castor)
Loose nuts
Wheel Bearing
Ball Joints
Steering Rack
Tyre splitting

I would also check to see if the new rims are hub-centric and fit up right. Some Alloy rims themselves are also just difficult with balancing.

I can vouch for this had a commodore with after market Mags. The second time i took the car in for a wheel balance after buying the car, the tyre place struggled to ballance them took it back 3 times before they finally worked out that being after market rims the centre hole was slightly larger and needed a spacing ring which had been discarded by the previous tyre place. Was only about a 1/2mm gap but made the car handle terrible.
Last edited by daryn on Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added quote tags
The grass is only greener where you water it.
hewy hacket

Postby hewy hacket on Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:06 pm

Sorry haven't quite got the quote thingy under control
hewy hacket

Postby ultimate on Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:12 pm

No Dramas. You need to use the "POST REPLY" Botton the the left, highlight the text and than click the quote button from the top options ;)
The Team at
ultimate

Postby hewy hacket on Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:14 pm

Ultimate,
I have a 2011 MN and on the front strut there is a small bracket spot welded on to hold the brake line i cannot see this on the ultimate struts (or are they underneath on the photo).
hewy hacket

Next

Return to Suspension