The Newbie Help Thread

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

The Newbie Help Thread

Postby daryn on Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:33 am

Welcome to the NewTriton forum,

If you are new to forums or just new to NewTriton and are unsure on how to use the forum, ask here. Hopefully someone will come along and provide you with some guidance.

If the question is more to do with your Triton, that is best in the relevant thread.

We expect after a couple of months of lurking and maybe 20 posts up your sleeve you have got the hang of it.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Re: The Newbie Help Thread

Postby Sunshine31 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:00 pm

I'm not sure if this is the best place, but I'm trying to edit my shed and I can't add photos.
Sunshine31

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:03 pm

There's a link in Daryn's sig above to how to post images - in the shed it is important that they are the right size (small) and that you look for the save button which is somewhere way down the bottom. Anyway have a look at the threads linked to in Daryn's signature and that'll get you started.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:10 pm

The most common problem here is that there is a 125Kb size limit so you may have to resize your photos first. In your shed there's a link to a handy resize tool. Use this to adjust the size to 640x480. Do this on your computer first. Then use the "Browse" button to find the resized photo on your computer and upload. Also make sure that your photos are in .jpg format. Most are, but worth checking. Good luck.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby eltglenw on Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:52 pm

Yep I'm a newbie with a dumb question - how do I send a PM that seems to be stuck in the Outbox?
eltglenw

Postby Snooozy on Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:54 pm

eltglenw wrote:Yep I'm a newbie with a dumb question - how do I send a PM that seems to be stuck in the Outbox?

not stuck mate, it will be marked as received when the other end opens the message ;)

It's a common thing for newcomers to think it has not been sent
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:05 pm

Also if the recipient has his PMs set up to go to email it might sit there for ever because it's already been read in email rather than on the forum PM setup.

Cowboy Dave

Postby eltglenw on Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks for that
eltglenw

Postby tony12 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:02 am

Hi gents,

Just bought myself a New Triton GLX dual cab ute.
tony12

Postby Duck on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:04 pm

Nice one mate, enjoy the truck & mods to come :D

tony12 wrote:Hi gents,

Just bought myself a New Triton GLX dual cab ute.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby Duck on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:12 am

Hi, not sure why but when I use this site on my tab it double & sometimes tripple posts, is there a way to delete the post I have tried editing the post but can't see where I can delete 1 of my own posts. Is there a way to do it ? :?
Duck

Postby Homer on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:24 am

Duck wrote:Hi, not sure why but when I use this site on my tab it double & sometimes tripple posts, is there a way to delete the post I have tried editing the post but can't see where I can delete 1 of my own posts. Is there a way to do it ? :?

No Duck, it's not possible to delete threads. Just a part of the forum software. Plus we don't get to laugh at all the wankers who double post :P :lol: :lol:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:24 am

Duck wrote:Hi, not sure why but when I use this site on my tab it double & sometimes tripple posts, is there a way to delete the post I have tried editing the post but can't see where I can delete 1 of my own posts. Is there a way to do it ? :?

No Duck, it's not possible to delete threads. Just a part of the forum software. Plus we don't get to laugh at all the wankers who double post :P :lol: :lol:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Duck on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:00 am

Thanks, 8-) I like to call it my special time..... :lol: Wanking is so harsh especially with sandaper :lol: :lol:
Duck

Postby gra065 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi all, i am a member but have not used this site since i bought my 2 tritons in 2009. Unfortunately my work truck,s
check engine light has come on & despite having the EGR valve cleaned out the check engine light is still on.What else do i need to? Please Help Gra 065
gra065

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:15 pm

Where are you located mate, someone might be able to help you out with an OBD reader to see what your fault code is.

Have you done anything to it recently? A recent service, new accessories, anything like that?

Problem with these lights is there are about 600 possibilities and it can be hard to narrow it down without more information.

Cowboy Dave

Postby gra065 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:21 pm

I am located in penrith NSW and have done no mods as it as it is the work truck.
gra065

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:33 pm

Is it still driving normally? Sounds like you'd still be in warranty so it might be easiest just to take it in to the dealer and have them sort it out. If you're lucky though a Penrith based member might pipe up and offer to plug their OBD scanner into it for you to give you an idea what the error code is. Sometimes it's nothing serious and will clear itself after a few starts without the fault. Other times it could be something like a loose plug or even a blown fuse so you can see how it would be hard to diagnose remotely.

Cowboy Dave

Postby gra065 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:41 pm

I took it to local Ultratune dealer ( they usually service it) and it came up EGR valve problem. Had it cleaned & the light stayed off for about 200ks but has now come back on.
gra065

Postby har05l on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:22 am

gra065 wrote:I took it to local Ultratune dealer ( they usually service it) and it came up EGR valve problem. Had it cleaned & the light stayed off for about 200ks but has now come back on.

I live in Cambridge Park and have an OBD reader. If you PM me we can sort out to get what code you are getting ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Footer on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:37 pm

Click to view larger picture

The new girl
Bite off more then you can chew, then chew like buggery.
Footer

Postby Roadsterrrr on Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:37 pm

G'Day everyone.

Im new to Tritons.
New to Manual Trans Cars
And New to 4WDs. Please be patient if i ask stupid questions!

Here i start.

I bought this car as a second hand. There is no information as to what the exact model of this car is.
I know its a 5SP Manual 2.5l Diesel Engine. 4WD, Dual Cab.
Its a GLX. Made in Thailand. Dated Oct/2010.
When I tried to insure it, there were so many models that came up!

How do i know if the car has a diff lock? There are no switches to say anything like that is installed.
If I were to get one installed, how much am I looking at?
During a few searches I did, i came across the cost of $500-$700 if you were getting it installed at the time of buying it brand new, from a dealer.

Cheers
RR
Roadsterrrr

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:27 pm

Roadsterrrr wrote:I bought this car as a second hand. There is no information as to what the exact model of this car is.
I know its a 5SP Manual 2.5l Diesel Engine. 4WD, Dual Cab.
Its a GLX. Made in Thailand. Dated Oct/2010.
When I tried to insure it, there were so many models that came up!

That would be an MN. You've already got the rest with the GLX. Should be a turbo diesel if it has that option.

Roadsterrrr wrote:How do i know if the car has a diff lock? There are no switches to say anything like that is installed.

If it has a factory locker there is a switch on the right hand side near the mirror control that says something like R/D Lock.

If it has an ARB locker you'd have two switches, one for a compressor and one for the locker. You'd also see a blue air line running from the compressor to the diff housing.

Roadsterrrr wrote:If I were to get one installed, how much am I looking at?
During a few searches I did, i came across the cost of $500-$700 if you were getting it installed at the time of buying it brand new, from a dealer.

Factory locker is exactly that, a factory job. The only other way to do it would be to buy a whole rear diff off a wreck and transplant it all. A big job but in theory possible.

After that you're talking ARB or maybe the new TJM or eaton harrop options that have just come onto the market. Either way there won't be much change from about $2 grand which is why people recommend getting the factory option since at $700 it's a bargain.

Your other option is a front locker at similar cost unless you go with the cheaper 'lokka' brand but there are a few minuses with that option. There are more than a few threads dealing with the relative merits of front vs rear lockers etc so I won't bore you with that here - just encourage you to check out the forum guide which has links to most of the best/most informative threads on the forum. ;)

Cowboy Dave

Postby Roadsterrrr on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:31 pm

Thanks for the quick response Cowboy Dave.

I can confirm there is no diff locks installed on my car.

Im not going to do any serious 4WD'ing straight away. So I guess I wont be needing diff locks straight away.
But, yeah thank you for the pointers. I will have a read and start saving some money after paying my ex off!

Cheers Guys
Roadsterrrr

Postby tmitc48 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi -well I am a real newbee and have started to search the threads. My name is Terry and I am looking at purchasing a Feb plated 2013 GLX. A lot of money to me and hope I made the right choice as I have heard both good and bad reports about Tritons. For that matter I have heard good and bad about all sorts of 4 wheel drives. Price is really good, performance seems ok. Bit of a lag in tghe turbo, plain Jane interior and body white but hay it seems to run well in the manual model I test drove.

I'd love any comments about the new 2013 models and any problems that people have had.

Thanks
Terry M
tmitc48

Next

Return to Introductions