FYRLYT - The new standard in driving lights?

Re: FYRLYT - The new standard in driving lights?

Postby snowman on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:49 pm

ok so ordered a set from here;

http://adtranstrucks.com.au/parts

Ask for Todd. Good bloke. 8-)

$500 + about $35 delivery (registered and insured to sydney) - not a bad price as many going for $600 odd.

i also ordered some spare bulbs (i think about $11 or $13 bucks each). :? :? So not super expensive.

some other comments he made.

no difference in 12v vs 24v now as OSRAM :? make the 12v globe in 150 watts now (they didn't up to about a year ago). I think Chris mentioned this previously in thread.

He said to definitely use two relays (1 per light) and wire direct from the battery in 6mm core cable. Some people are not using the really thick cable and are getting some voltage drop and heat in the wiring. They can dim at low RPM if not using big cable. This is also shown in the installation guide although i think only one relay.

We can see how they go. i'll keep you posted. :D

as you can see from the link they are a trucking supplier and he said they are VERY popular with not only aussie truckers but now many in the states. the current version is very good for use in COLD climates as well.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:21 am

NowForThe5th wrote:Both halogen and HID bulbs lose output over their lifespan. HID bulbs are often quoted as having a lifespan of 2000 hours when reality is that 300-500 hours is more like it. Oh, they may still work but the output drops as the electrodes wear away. In halogens the filament wears away and although the halogen gas encourages deposition of the particles back on to the filament, rather than the inside of the capsule, they still lose output.

I have tested over 20 HID units, specifically the 35w aftermarket kits @ 4000K, as replacement for standard headlamps. In my experience the lifetime you describe is accurate. The failure point is usually the ballast on lamps that are permanently lit. With lamps that are powered down, and then powered up repeatedly, the electrodes tend to sputter onto the fused silica envelope and, in some cases lamp life was less than 100 hours. In cold weather (5* - 9*), the ballasts were unable to strike an arc 100% of the time, and the lamps had an average "warm up" time of 14 seconds.

Obviously the reflector design was critical to the performance of the light. In most cases, although it was possible to get the beam cut off at an acceptable height, the residual scattering was still dazzling to oncoming vehicles. Achieving a balance between spread and distance was difficult, often resulting in small unlit areas in the periphery, caused by the scatter.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:47 am

well i saw the FYRLYT's in action last night for the first time. :o :shock:

it was only in my street (my brothers car and he came over to drop something off) and i can tell you as he was driving towards me you almost could not look at the car!!

they lit up the street big time. Still needed some adjustment though to be honest.

considering replacement bulbs are about $13 each and a 2 minute task i think i will get some of these for the new MN as well.

They are not super large either sort of medium size and didn't look too big on the front of my brothers Hilux.

Installation was pricey as i used an auto elec (they do very good work) but at my insistence they used 6mm wiring for all high powered circuits.

As with all high powered lights the only negative comments i got was reflection from street signs.

These lights are incredibly bright and are instant on. :D :D

I purchased them from the link i posted below for $500 + delivery which i believe is a very good price for a very good set of lights. If you bought all the wiring and relays and installed yourself it would probably cost maybe $100 in parts and for $600 odd dollars you would have a weapon set of lights, with bulb replacement at not much more than the cost of your weekday lunch and no ballasts to worry about. :D :D :D
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:09 pm

bump.

great light. my brother still hasn't set his properly :roll: :roll: - but they put out so much light it doesn't matter much....... :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Spotlights

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:23 pm

MPGGLX-R wrote:When you say there are plenty better out there, could I ask you if it was your vehicle and you had to drive all night long for a living on terrible roads with lots of pot holes and wildlife what would you use and why?

NowForThe5th wrote:the Fyrlyt will produce 5000 lumens with instant on and a pair costs $600 retail with discount prices down to $530. Whiter light than most halogens and much better colour rendering index (so you can see the colour difference between that kangaroo and the similar shaped bush). Guess which driving lights I bought?

Fyrlyt.

Not HID, I know. But quite possibly the best all round light I've ever come across. Why?
- Clever design.
- Separate, replaceable components.
- Polycarbonate lens. Almost indestructible and simply replaced if necessary.
- Stylish, strong housing, but light so it doesn't vibrate.
- Quality reflector. Up there with Lightforce for reflector quality. Like a mirror. Streets ahead even of Hella.
- Innovative reflector design. What they've managed to do is create what is essentially a multi-focal reflector that is capable of casting two different beams by adjusting the focal point, without compromising either. World first and must have taken enormous development. Different to Lightforce which moves the light source off the focal point.
- Strong billet aluminium base. No movement or vibration. Looks good too.
- Xenophot bulb. Automotive bulbs are yellow by comparison and Osram have created a high wattage bulb with realistic life expectancy.
- Very good CRI. The bulb is of a family designed for use in photography and places like operating theatres where strong light that doesn't distort colour is essential. Perfect for use as a driving light.
- Very even light pattern. No streaks or hot spots yet light pattern is quite wide, near to that of the Hella spread beam.
- Good range. Not talking Hella Predator at 1500m but a solid 900m which is outstanding for a halogen light.
- Ability to adjust beam to give a wider pattern that would suit tighter winding roads.
- Instant on. No waiting for the bulb to warm up as with HID, you can have light when you want it.
- Flashing the lights does not destroy bulb life like HID.
- No electronics to go wrong. Ballasts not required.
- Price. $600 retail, I got mine for $530.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Brent1 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:07 am

I'm now tossing up between these and Narva Ultima 225 HID and wondering which way to go. I want a good wide spread of light
Brent1

Postby snowman on Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:57 am

Brent1 wrote:I'm now tossing up between these and Narva Ultima 225 HID and wondering which way to go. I want a good wide spread of light

have you read 5th's comments in the spotlight thread?

Damn shame that is not in here.

Actually chris you are a mod. can you copy those points across into here????

I have not seen the Narva like you mention. I am sure they are pretty impressive. However, the fyrlyts give instant on (may not be as big an issue for you out in the country?) but it is not just about the light itself. The construction makes the light very replaceable (like if you get a smashed lens) it is a 1 minute (or less) job to swap with a new one (if you have it of course).

i also dont like having HD spots/driving lights with halogen headlights because it looks a bit weird. The fyrlyts' although quite white are not too far removed (i dont understand all the jargon so i wont even try) from the standard headlights. this obviously is not an issue if you already upgraded your headlights to HD.

i will add that when i purchased a set the guy at the store in Albury said they are now moving plenty of them to the USA and also one of their biggest clients are truck drivers. Clearly that is not a surprise seeing as they are a trucking supplier but i dont think too many truckies would get them if they were no good.

see if you can find anyone out your way who has a set to look at in real life. I reckon light selection is one of those things best witnessed with your own eyes than a photos, or even hearsay. good luck. i still think for just over $500 if you go the fyrlyt's you wont be disappointed.

// i should add as a NEGATIVE to the fyrlyt's i am expecting the low life of human nature to quickly realise how easy it is to flog a lens or even a bulb. :evil: :evil: so if local theft is an issue you may want to consider that unfortunately. As an old fella once said to me (i was a bit younger then myself :lol: )................."100 years ago you got hung if you stole someone's horse, now if they steal a car they get a slap on the wrist". :roll: How true. i wonder if we started hanging kids for car theft how long it would take them to realise it might not be worth it......just saying. :roll: maybe i need more coffee. :oops:
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brent1 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:28 am

Lol! Thanks for the info Snowman. Yes I have been through all the threads I can find. I see where Chris had mentioned that the Narva's HID are twice as good as the halogen model but then also found where he said the FYRLYT are amazing. The photos just looked a little dull but I realize they can be deceptive too. There aren't any up here that I can look at so I'm keen to canvas everyone that has one of these models to see what they think, and if they have had both or have been able to compare them am keen to hear their thoughts. I think the best advertising for them though is that after seeing them you are going to buy yourself a set and I cant imagine you would be that keen to do that if they were just "okay". Thanks again,
Brent
Brent1

Postby macca002 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:35 am

These lights look amazing from the pics and def give the bigger brands a run.

Have a question? Given the amount of w they are rated at, do the lights themselves get really hot? For those running them, do they hold up OK being dunked in cold creek crossings after being on for a while, or is it safer to pull over and admire the scenery for a bit whilst they cool down like other lights people run?
macca002

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:48 am

Brent, mine are going on this weekend and sometime over the next week I'll be taking them out and testing.

I'll be taking lux readings and photos so should have a fairly comprehensive report.

When we did that comparison earlier in this thread we did compare the Fyrlyts spread beam to the Hella spread. The Fyrlyts were almost the same width - I'd estimate within 5 degrees each side. However, the fascinating thing was that they didn't lose much of that width, just intensity, when switched to long range. In that mode they whupped the Hellas, big time, and had as good or better range than the Lightforce Genesis HID plus the width that the LF lacked. Really quite hard to explain - it's like the designers found a whole lot of extra light from somewhere. I know what it is; it's the reflector. Depth and shape means less light wasted and lost.

OK Snowie, I'll copy some of those posts in here, later.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby MPGGLX-R on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:59 am

Brent1 wrote:I'm now tossing up between these and Narva Ultima 225 HID and wondering which way to go. I want a good wide spread of light

I've just done the same by purchasing 2 pairs of the Narva 225 spread beams. I have had them modified to 70W HID though but I haven't received them yet so I can't comment on how good of a spread beam they give.

The gent who converted mine to HID, Mick asked me why I wanted spread and I did state because according to the Narva website it showed (for 100w halogen) that the spreads give a good 20m of light each side of the light, plus what appeared to be around 600m of good usable light and for the 50w HID still 20m each side of the light and around 650-700m of usable light. I couldn't however find what the distance and spread at 1lux was anywhere, where I'm sure Chris will correct me if I'm wrong I think is the measurement of light needed to read a newspaper.

Here is the link to the Narva website, just click on each light and it will show you the light output graph Narva claim

http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/ultima-225

I must admit I would be certainly more than willing to give the Fyrlyt's a go. I too though am like Snowman and wonder how long it will take idiots out there to decided to help themselves to the bulbs etc.
2012 MN GLX-R Triton
2012 RG LTZ Colorado
2012 TF LSU D-Max
MPGGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brent1 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:24 pm

Thanks Chris. I will be very interested to hear your thoughts and am pleased with what you say about the spread. MPGGL-R I too was set on getting two spread beams as it is more crucial for me in my area to get a good flood of light off either side of the road. I would probably go LED light bar but also want more than 100-200m down the road but 400-500m would be ample. The only thing that now makes me wonder about those is where Chris or someone has mentioned that once you turn them off you have a job to see as they are just so bright up close. I have been thinking that a small pair of flood led bars that are low profile and could sit on the bar under my headlight and be aimed out to each side at 45 degrees would be good in combination with the big floods too. For me though I am definitely down to my final two choices of picking between the FYRLYT's and Narva Ultima HID's
Brent1

Postby DocBassett on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:51 am

Hey guys, for those who have purchased the fyrlyts, how are you finding them??? happy?? I sold my 240 blitz' and now have only one lightforce XGT 50w HID spotty that is no longer on my car. i need spotties to compliment my lightbar so I will be either A) buying another XGT or B) selling my XGT and buying a pair of fyrlyts seeing as Chris and Snowy have given them such good reviews.

My only concerns are that it may draw too much when in use with my lightbar, and i'm not sure how the halogen yellow will mix with the white of the lightbar. what are peoples thoughts???
DocBassett

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:12 pm

Brent1 wrote:someone has mentioned that once you turn them off you have a job to see as they are just so bright up close

I don't find that they have excessive foreground and the halogen colour means that you don't get caught short with pupils constricted when you turn them off.

DocBassett wrote:My only concerns are that it may draw too much when in use with my lightbar

150w x 2 = 300w @ 12.8v = 23.4 amps which is way less than the 4 Lightforce that you had on before. With the right wiring you'll have good light and the car won't have any trouble handling that.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby DocBassett on Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:20 pm

Cheers chris.
DocBassett

Postby MPGGLX-R on Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:43 pm

DocBassett wrote:Hey guys, for those who have purchased the fyrlyts, how are you finding them??? happy?? I sold my 240 blitz' and now have only one lightforce XGT 50w HID spotty that is no longer on my car. i need spotties to compliment my lightbar so I will be either A) buying another XGT or B) selling my XGT and buying a pair of fyrlyts seeing as Chris and Snowy have given them such good reviews.

My only concerns are that it may draw too much when in use with my lightbar, and i'm not sure how the halogen yellow will mix with the white of the lightbar. what are peoples thoughts???

Doc, after having my modified Narva 225 HID's fitted the other day and for basically the same price as the Fyrlyt I'd be going the Narva's. I'm over the moon with mine. I have two x spread beams and they give me at least 600-700mtrs of what I think is usable light as I could see a kangaroo at that distance, not crystal clear but I could see it in the middle of the road. The nice white light I've found easy on the eyes too.
2012 MN GLX-R Triton
2012 RG LTZ Colorado
2012 TF LSU D-Max
MPGGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby macca002 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:00 pm

Stick with what you already have mate. Cheapest option.
macca002

Postby Duck on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:02 pm

Yes Would be hard Pressed to go past the 225 HID NARVA, I see them now for $599 with the German blasts & German bulb :) must be a reason that new cars are going HID ?
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby DocBassett on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:26 pm

I have just managed to score a second hand 50w XGT for $370. Just have to get the FIL to pick it up in perth.
DocBassett

Postby Brent1 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:49 pm

MPGGLX-R wrote:
Doc, after having my modified Narva 225 HID's fitted the other day and for basically the same price as the Fyrlyt I'd be going the Narva's. I'm over the moon with mine. I have two x spread beams and they give me at least 600-700mtrs of what I think is usable light as I could see a kangaroo at that distance, not crystal clear but I could see it in the middle of the road. The nice white light I've found easy on the eyes too.

Do you find a good spread off the side of the road up close? If you're out later on one day during the night it would be great to see a pic from the drivers seat looking out either side past the A pillars if you didn't mind doing so thanks?
Brent1

Postby Brent1 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:51 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:I don't find that they have excessive foreground and the halogen colour means that you don't get caught short with pupils constricted when you turn them off.

That's good to know thanks
Brent1

Postby MPGGLX-R on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:21 am

Brent1 wrote:
MPGGLX-R wrote:

Do you find a good spread off the side of the road up close? If you're out later on one day during the night it would be great to see a pic from the drivers seat looking out either side past the A pillars if you didn't mind doing so thanks?

Hi mate, not a problem at all. I've just got to aim them up properly yet but they are pretty close to being on the mark for me.

I've found the spread to be excellent, even on a four lane road it easily shows up the sides of the road, plus quite some distance into the bushes too. The spread is there right from the light up close to them. My wife was dead against getting lights and bulbar but as she drove the vehicle home from Brisbane the other night she hasn't stopped talking about them since and how happy she is now to have them fitted as she quote "feels a lot safer knowing she can see into the bushes for the kangaroos and it really turns night into day". I even got an apology from her for not letting me get them sooner :roll: (I did ask for this in writing but I was reminded of how uncomfortable my lounge chair is :lol: )
2012 MN GLX-R Triton
2012 RG LTZ Colorado
2012 TF LSU D-Max
MPGGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brent1 on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:43 am

Lol!! Well that's great thanks and I think you've just helped make my decision
Brent1

Postby bakerboy on Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:24 pm

Any fyrlyt owners in perth?
bakerboy

Postby George Kyro on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:49 pm

Ummm judging by the photos that nft5 posted is it me thats only noticed that the
Nane (1 x spot, 1 x spread) with 100 watt HID, 8000K produced the best light ?

Nobody has even really mentioned it? :roll:

the light seems much clearer and the grass area to the left was even more lit up over the rest of them.

They may not be as bright toward the tree as others but overall judging by these photo's it does seem to emit a more brighter and clearer viewing area
Anyone got those and know ha much ?
BROKE BACK MUD BUM CHUM RUNNERS CLUB
George Kyro

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical