Brett's V8 ML Triton. "WRONG"

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Brett's V8 ML Triton. "WRONG"

Postby Bilbo on Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:47 pm

Hi Guys, I have been floating around the forum for a while now, gathering info and advice, posting pics of things I've done to my Triton. I thought I'd put together a build thread. Sorry if I bore you all. You have probably all seen a Silver GLX-R Modified in the same fashion as I have done, however hopefully I may have had an idea along the way that is different to those of others.

I've owned my Triton for about 3 years now. The first two years I used it mainly to get my family around and tow my boat.

Earlier this year a mate and I decided that May 2014 we would do the Simpson. This meant that we had 12 months to plan the trip and have the cars ready for the trip. We both have 3 kids each as well (2x7yo, 2X9yo and 2x12yo), this will make planning a little more important.

Enough Typing for now, here are some pics from the beginning.

I have to say a big thanks to Shannon and Tony and PRO4X4 at Queenstown, SA. for all their help with the build.
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title as requested by member
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Re: Brett's 2007 GLX-R Triton "WRONG"

Postby Bilbo on Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:20 pm

In the early days.
Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger pictureI was stoked back then to upgrade my tyre to 265x75 r16's
Click to view larger pictureand a set of roof racks.
Click to view larger picture Family ride days with friends were common and still are. We added an awning and bought a clip up tent that sits under the awning.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby Bilbo on Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:31 pm

This is when the plan was hatched to do the Simpson and set the Triton up for some long range family touring.

I've tried to do thing once through my build. This way I like to think that I have saved some cash.

Body lift first.
I completed this in my driveway at home.
This is where we hooked up with Shannon and Tony at PRO4x4. (These guys are a terrible influence.)
A new deluxe Flexiglass canopy.Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger picture A mate and I fitted a snorkel. What a job, I think I'll pay some one to fit it next time.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby Bilbo on Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:41 pm

Click to view larger picturefitted up a basket and some accessories.
Click to view larger pictureTime for some bigger treads, 285/75 R16 Cooper S/T Maxx on ROH Blak Trak rims.
This could be the only thing I might change. I may swap back to alloys to shed the extra weight of the steel rims.
Click to view larger pictureVery happy with these tyres.
Click to view larger pictureBack to PRO4X4, Xrox front bar fitted, Xrox rock sliders fitted, light bar and LED driving lights fitted. I went with Xrox because you can order them to suit a 50mm body lift.Click to view larger picture
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Brett's 2007 GLX-R Triton "WRONG"

Postby Bilbo on Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:50 pm

Click to view larger pictureI also had a Tigerz11 roof top tent fitted and a Domin8tor 12000lb winch. Check out how low the GLX-R tow bar sits after the body lift.
Click to view larger picturegetting there.
Click to view larger pictureLED light in canopy.
Click to view larger pictureI bought small inline switches with the light strips, they dim the lights as well as stobe, on and off.
Click to view larger pictureUHF fitted, it's a split system. I mounted the head unit in the sunglass holder in the factory over head console. The pic is a shocker but you get the idea.
Last edited by Bilbo on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby scalvert on Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:52 pm

I don't mean to be a bad influence, i've just got loads of great ideas!
2013 Red MN GLX dualcab
- MCC barwork, ARB canopy & tradesman rack, 3inch exhaust, 265/75R16 federal couragia M/T, MCC drawers, dual batteries,prosport gauges, 50mm lift
scalvert

Postby Bilbo on Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:56 pm

Click to view larger picturethe next fun bit. Building a twin rear wheel carrier. (As light as possible retaking its strength.)
Click to view larger pictureI got this far, then off for a trip to the Flinders.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby Bilbo on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:01 pm

Click to view larger picturethe girls thought is was great in the tent, while the boys swagged it on the ground.
Click to view larger pictureback home and finished off the rear bar.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby Bilbo on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:07 pm

Click to view larger picture3 inch exhaust fitted by Well Hung Exhausts ant Lonsdale. They have done a magic job weaving the exhaust between the chassis and the body. (To date no heat issues through the body.)
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby Bilbo on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:19 pm

Click to view larger pictureback to Shannon at PRO4X4, this time for a suspension lift. In the front, King springs and Drive Tech shocks, 50mm lift. In the rear Custom Leaf spring by Adelaide industrial Springs built to Shannon's specs. Drive Tech shocks currently 60mm lift. (Waiting for more weight in the tub. Hopefully the back will come down a little.)
Click to view larger pictureipad holder installed, Hema maps app, works a treat.
Click to view larger pictureDeep Creek on a Sunday arvo.
Click to view larger picturethe sunset over a dam on our way home.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby Bilbo on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:27 pm

Click to view larger picturean arvo BBQ at Myponga Beach.
Click to view larger picturerewired the tub. Now it is functional.
Also installed a dual battery set up.
Click to view larger picturemade up a fridge slide and rack for storage.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby Bilbo on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:39 pm

Now my current project. A long range tank to replace the spare tyre. When finished it will hold 150lt. I will make a twin filler through the original filler. I plan to have a small pump to move fuel through to the original tank. I'll have a desperate filter for this tank to ensure any fuel picked up in the out back is filtered before entering the original tank. I'm also working on a three way switch on my dash to be able to flick my fuel gauge between tanks.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby Bilbo on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:42 pm

Click to view larger picturea day out fishing.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby knotty5170 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:40 am

MATE-
Lovely build up!!!
One caution though- refer to a MN owner who bent his chassis rails up the arse end due to excess weight over hanging/ Cantilevering the tub- i.e. the 2 spare wheels, and all the load in the tub inc. of roof load. He was also towing a camper trailer too, through the simpson- with all the dunes ups and downs motion the static weight becomes live load. although he weighed his truck and it was under 1T and the camper trailer was only 900kgs or so, the live load with momentum can range up to 5 times greater.
Just keep an eye on your chassis rails- maybe even have it looked over by ARB or someone of the auto engineering field (I am not sure of your background- so apologies for any offence), to see if theres any creasing, and that it will hold.
We would hate to see you come home and report any disasters!!

I noticed a pic with your front L wheel in the creek- was this the track from Blinman to Parachilna?? I love that track- so many creeks!
And another
A couple of pics at the beach- was that Myponga? if so I surfed there only a few weeks ago- My home town is Maslin Beach S.A. but I live in Newcastle now.

All the best mate, I'll be in Birdsville next yr for the races, and we are taking the simpson route home to..

Adam
knotty5170

Postby Bilbo on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:53 am

knotty5170 wrote:MATE-
Lovely build up!!!
One caution though- refer to a MN owner who bent his chassis rails up the arse end due to excess weight over hanging/ Cantilevering the tub- i.e. the 2 spare wheels, and all the load in the tub inc. of roof load. He was also towing a camper trailer too, through the simpson- with all the dunes ups and downs motion the static weight becomes live load. although he weighed his truck and it was under 1T and the camper trailer was only 900kgs or so, the live load with momentum can range up to 5 times greater.
Just keep an eye on your chassis rails- maybe even have it looked over by ARB or someone of the auto engineering field (I am not sure of your background- so apologies for any offence), to see if theres any creasing, and that it will hold.
We would hate to see you come home and report any disasters!!

I noticed a pic with your front L wheel in the creek- was this the track from Blinman to Parachilna?? I love that track- so many creeks!
And another
A couple of pics at the beach- was that Myponga? if so I surfed there only a few weeks ago- My home town is Maslin Beach S.A. but I live in Newcastle now.

All the best mate, I'll be in Birdsville next yr for the races, and we are taking the simpson route home to..

Adam

Hi Adam, Thanks for the heads up. A few people have mentioned the weight factor. I'll keep an eye on it and see how we go. I'm trying to distribute the heavy weight evenly throughout the rest of the tub. I do understand the potential weight issues and the lever effect that could be caused. We plan on quite a few short trips before the Simpson to test everything out.

You are on the money on both accounts, Blinman to Parachilna, and also Myponga Beach. Myponga beach is a 10min drive from home so we quite often take the kids there to have some fun, or head down to Deep Creek.

Cheers Brett.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:56 am

Bash plates? I noticed the stock ones still on in some of the photos.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby 13b bp on Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:27 am

Nice another SA member and you look to be in the same area as me if you go to pro 4x4 they are a customer of work
13b bp

Postby Bilbo on Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:36 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:Bash plates? I noticed the stock ones still on in some of the photos.
Yep Bash plates are definitely next on the list. Then I'd like to have a play around with my diff ratios to counter act the 33's. May look into Pajero diffs to see if we can make any fit.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby Bilbo on Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:38 am

13b bp wrote:Nice another SA member and you look to be in the same area as me if you go to pro 4x4 they are a customer of work
Thanks 13b bp. Pro4x4 are about an hour away. I'm down at Sellicks Beach, a beautiful part of the world.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby 13b bp on Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:31 am

I'm in the Woodville area, I do like the southern area great beaches, camping etc
13b bp

Postby macca002 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:48 pm

I am liking your tank idea. What are your plans for baffles?
macca002

Postby Bilbo on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:17 pm

macca002 wrote:I am liking your tank idea. What are your plans for baffles?
Thanks, the tank is the reason I built the twin rear wheel carrier. The tank is 800 wide. I'll have one baffle cut out the same as the side plates you see in the pics. I'll cut the corners out before welding it in. My main issues will be plumbing the whole thing. Allowing for equaliser tubes above the tank where it wraps around the spare wheel carrier. Fuel filters etc. I look forward to the challenge.

My fuel economy is shocking, being an auto, with roof top tent and 33's etc. I think I'll have about 1200km range burning 16lt/100km. I look forward to that too.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby hvac guy on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:28 pm

track down some higher ratio diffs that will sought our fuel out more as well, do u run air bags i would love a rang of 1200 km :D
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bilbo on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:43 pm

hvac guy wrote:track down some higher ratio diffs that will sought our fuel out more as well, do u run air bags i would love a rang of 1200 km :D
changing diff ratios is definitely high on my list. I have been considering converting a paj diff. Cutting off the coil mounts and replacing them with leaf spring mounts. I measured up a 94 paj the other day. The diff was 4.875 and the whole assembly is 1500mm wide. Not that different to the Triton. The front diff seams to be the easy change.

No air bags. I have read lots about them and have come to the conclusion that if used they can contribute to a bent chassis. My rear springs are rated at 400kg above. Hopefully they will carry the weight ok.

Cheers Brett
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby Pearcie45 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Great read and even better looking truck!

Must have been quite a task doing the build thread all in one hit!
MN MY13 GLX-R - Silver - Rear Diff Lock - Rhino Lining Tub Liner - GME TX3100 UHF - Tinted Bonnet Protector - Basha 3mm Bash Plates
Pearcie45

Next

Return to Member Build Ups