Low range 2wd

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Low range 2wd

Postby a9x_hatch on Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:46 pm

As the title says has anybody done a low range 2wd mod to there ml/mn triton?
I've tried searching without any luck and the only reason I'm asking is I recently had some problems towing my boat up a steep mountain range on my way to eungella dam. I have 32 inch tyres, was fully loaded with camping gear for the family and my boat is 2.5t loaded.
Having an auto lokka in the front is great most of the time but I can't turn on bitumen in 4wd. I've got a real soft spot for eungella dam and I've been going camping in this spot since I was 6 weeks old. I hope to keep taking my kids there for many years to come, if the triton will let me. :cry:
Any help would be great
a9x_hatch

Re: Low range 2wd

Postby GLRkenny on Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:49 pm

The details of that mod are in the platinum section mate
GLRkenny

Postby biggibbo on Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:25 pm

The mod essentially unlocks 1 front wheel making it a 3 wheel drive, allowing differential, however with a locker it may not work.
biggibbo

Postby a9x_hatch on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:17 am

By the sound of that, the mod will override the actuator stopping the axle sliding into the diff. Unfortunately that won't work for mine being a 2012 it doesn't have the actuator.

Is there any way of fitting manual locking hubs?
a9x_hatch

Postby macca002 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:21 am

Yes you can fit Aisin hubs ;)
macca002

Postby a9x_hatch on Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:06 pm

macca002 wrote:Yes you can fit Aisin hubs ;)

Is there any DIY posts on how to do this? I only just replaced a passenger front hub a month ago, so I know how to replace originals. Is it as simple as pressing out the old hub and bolting in the new one?
a9x_hatch

Postby Jaymac92 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:47 pm

How can it be done on a post 2012 model? Surely there has to be another way other than manual hubs...
2013 MN GLR 4x4 with TJM Bullbar, side rails and sliders, TJM Snorkel, Uniden UHF, Black sunraysia rims and more to follow...
Jaymac92

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:00 pm

There probably is, it just takes someone with the nerve, nouse and energy to work it out.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Amaroo on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:05 pm

You could do a kit similar to the Hilux one that replaces the low range stick with two sticks to make the range and 4wd/2wd independently selectable. A bit beyond backyard fabrication though I would think.

Manual locking hubs are an easier option, the biggest draw back is the stock wheels centre bore is too small to fit over the new manual locking hub mechanism.
Amaroo

Postby GLRkenny on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:14 pm

Are the later model front diffs still controlled (for lack of a better term) by vaccuum? ie no vacuum = 4wd engaged, but all inside the diff?
GLRkenny

Postby Jaymac92 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:48 pm

GLRkenny wrote:Are the later model front diffs still controlled (for lack of a better term) by vaccuum? ie no vacuum = 4wd engaged, but all inside the diff?

That's what I'm hoping haha!
2013 MN GLR 4x4 with TJM Bullbar, side rails and sliders, TJM Snorkel, Uniden UHF, Black sunraysia rims and more to follow...
Jaymac92

Postby Calblitzen on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:53 pm

GLRkenny wrote:Are the later model front diffs still controlled (for lack of a better term) by vaccuum? ie no vacuum = 4wd engaged, but all inside the diff?

There is no actuator, I believe it maybe controlled within the gearbox.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby a9x_hatch on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:55 pm

I recently blew my front diff, so I have a bit of an idea due to being sent the earlier diff. As most people know the older units were operated by an actuator and vacuum which slides the right axle in and out of the diff when you select 4wd. The newer models have no actuator and both axles are permanently engaged from what I can gather. We were able to use all internals which I think is pretty normal for all mitsubishi front diffs, except for the right axle which is a different length. This was the biggest problem for me due to my axle splines being damaged. Luckily there was a guy at driveline services that was very handy on a file and managed to repair it for me for only $40. :D
a9x_hatch

Postby a9x_hatch on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:58 pm

Calblitzen wrote:

There is no actuator, I believe it maybe controlled within the gearbox.

Correct. I think it's controlled between the gearbox and transfer but don't quote me on that
a9x_hatch

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:19 pm

How did you blow your diff?

Cowboy Dave

Postby a9x_hatch on Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:51 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:How did you blow your diff?

We aren't 100% sure, it has a lokka and the centre pin broke and destroyed the carrier, so it could have been a faulty pin which has happened before, but the circlip which holds the main diff axle in also broke and chewed out the axle splines. So it's hard to say which went first, probably the centre pin though. :?
a9x_hatch

Low range 2wd

Postby dan.batto on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:00 pm

That centre pin breaking is a common thing, I helped another member here remove his diff after the centre pin on his ml with lokka busted.
I'll let him jump in if he wants it out there.
dan.batto

Postby biggibbo on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:27 pm

That's at least 5 Iokka's I know of that have done the same thing.

Surely 4wd systems has to start taking some responsibility, however everyone I know who has busted their diff ends up holding the can.
biggibbo

Postby a9x_hatch on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:27 pm

dan.batto wrote:That centre pin breaking is a common thing, I helped another member here remove his diff after the centre pin on his ml with lokka busted.
I'll let him jump in if he wants it out there.

For the diffs defence I was giving it a really hard time :twisted:
a9x_hatch

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:17 pm

No there's no doubt they had a faulty batch of pins. In fact I thought they'd conceded that? But yeah they only replace their stuff and leave you finding the necessary genuine bits and the costs of the work and fluids etc.

Cowboy Dave

Postby macca002 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:21 pm

Amaroo wrote:You could do a kit similar to the Hilux one that replaces the low range stick with two sticks to make the range and 4wd/2wd independently selectable. A bit beyond backyard fabrication though I would think.

Manual locking hubs are an easier option, the biggest draw back is the stock wheels centre bore is too small to fit over the new manual locking hub mechanism.

The twin shift mod is actually pretty easy to do on a hilux, but in a gear driven transfer case and not the chain driven version as the way the shifter engages is different.

I haven't pulled a Triton transfer down before, but it could possibly be the same....
macca002

Postby Jaymac92 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:16 pm

So could there be a switch to interfere between the gearbox & transfer case to get 2lo & not get transfer case bind up?
Jaymac92

Postby Amaroo on Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:21 am

Jaymac92 wrote:So could there be a switch to interfere between the gearbox & transfer case to get 2lo & not get transfer case bind up?

If it's easy select and doesn't have the front diff actuator then no, 4wd to 2wd is a mechanical action in the transfer controlled by the stubby lever.

I have never looked at the super select box so can't comment on that.
Last edited by Amaroo on Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amaroo

Postby Amaroo on Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:25 am

macca002 wrote:
Amaroo wrote:You could do a kit similar to the Hilux one that replaces the low range stick with two sticks to make the range and 4wd/2wd independently selectable. A bit beyond backyard fabrication though I would think.

The twin shift mod is actually pretty easy to do on a hilux, but in a gear driven transfer case and not the chain driven version as the way the shifter engages is different.

I haven't pulled a Triton transfer down before, but it could possibly be the same....

I looked into it on my old hilux and the kit was pretty reasonably priced.

If it were possible on the Triton and someone could build a bolt on replacement kit for the single stubby lever I'm sure they'd sell a few.
Amaroo

Postby a9x_hatch on Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:39 pm

Well I'm gonna be up for a new set of tyres in 20000kms so I may have to invest in a set of 285 75 16 BFG mt's on some nice new zero offset black mags to suit suit the manual hubs. :D I think the manual hubs would be the go considering I've got a lokka with the new style diff. Being able to unlock the hubs during normal on road driving should stop any wear on the lokka when turning.

And as for the faulty lokka centre pin issue, I should mention my lokka isn't a 4wd systems aussie lokka, it is actually a lock rite locker. Which is an identical unit.

I'm pretty sure the Aussie lokka is a copy of the lock rite locker as they have been making the lunchbox lockers for a lot longer then the 4wd systems Aussie lokka. In saying that though they must be being made in the same factory if they have both had issues with a faulty batch of centre pins. :?
a9x_hatch

Next

Return to Drive Train Components