Overheating MN Triton

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Overheating MN Triton

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:29 pm

I agree it won't be all of them. I'm sure I read somewhere that it was to do with the manufacturing tolerances and tooling and towards the end of life of particular tools they'd throw out a couple of duds and then the new tools would go on and the next lot of engines would be fine until the next tool wore down. Something like that anyway. I guess we all have to wait and see.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby oldplodder on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:54 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Mine has always sat dead on half way except when I nearly cooked it up a mountain one day. Would be good to get an obd reader so you can see the actual temps rather than the needle/gauge which is not particularly sensitive or accurate.

Dave, I wondered about my temp gauge too. So I have the OBD reader set up as well to read water temps.
The guage doesn't start moving until about 30/40 deg C. 1/4 mark is about 70deg.
Centre of gauge where the needle sits steady as a rock is 85 to 95 deg.
Have not had any issues, so not seen the gauge go higher, even while towing the camper in the NT at 120.
The engine fan comes on full roar at about 93 deg, well mine does.
So as you say, not that accurate. :o)
oldplodder
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bitzrmisn on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:17 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:I agree it won't be all of them. I'm sure I read somewhere that it was to do with the manufacturing tolerances and tooling and towards the end of life of particular tools they'd throw out a couple of duds and then the new tools would go on and the next lot of engines would be fine until the next tool wore down. Something like that anyway. I guess we all have to wait and see.

I'm sure your spot on, that's just what the dealer said!! Either way went looking at some other duel cabs today I've had a gut full of the crap service and QC that went into our glxr, on top of that we have lost around $40k in the 2 years that we had it (the dealers have also had it for around 4 months in that time trying to fix it)!

If anyone is after a Charcoal GLXR with leather, sat nav, hard cover, ute liner, custom relocation job on the trip computor, coulour coded ARB bar, bash plates Safari snorkel, Mickey t's and original tyres both with over 90% and now a new motor 23 thou k's on the auto driveline with oem diff lock and any other extra you can get and barely a nick on it PM me!
Bitzrmisn

Seized motor!

Postby slicvs on Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:49 pm

G'day, as the title says was driving to Sydney late on Wednesday night when all of a sudden my ute jut died, I looked down and the temperature gauge is showing red hot and it had steam coming out from the bonnet. It must have got hot really quickly because I always keep an eye on the gauge. Anyway tried starting it and nothing, the motor was seized! the ute was still full of coolant and it was boiling and pissing out the over flow, so it definitely had plenty of coolant and all belts were intact. Now the issue is I had the ute serviced the day before for its 45,000km service, and had only probably driven 400kms since I picked it up from the dealer! And according to the paperwork they have given me, the coolant was changed and checked out! Has anyone had a situation like this? Or any idea what has gone wrong?.. Im just worried whether warranty will cover it, as im certain its got to be something that was done during the service that has caused it! the ute is only 18 months old! ended up out of pocket $1500 as well with accommodation, hire car and plane flights, so you can imagine im not very impressed!

mick
T rusty
slicvs

Re: Seized motor!

Postby borngeek on Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:42 am

:(
Covered under warranty, and MMAL should cover your expenses. They should also provide a hire car, while the engine is replaced.
Keep all your receipts, and submit them for reimbursement.

There are known issues with some of the 2.5 engines...
some reading, to start: http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8271
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby slicvs on Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:12 pm

hmm righto seems like this has happened to a few utes!... Im just hoping it doesn't take as long as some of these other ones to fix as im an electrician and I need it for work!
T rusty
slicvs

Postby Desert Brewer on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:31 pm

I posted this a few months back in the warranty and recalls, vehicle is a 2011 MN 2.5, 5 spd

"over Christmas the thermostat failed a few hundred kms north of Coober Pedy - had to nurse it into Coober and then to Pt Augusta where it was replaced (warranty), we had to spend an extra night in Pt Augusta - no mention of any assistance for the accom we had to fork for by the dealer and were told by MMA that it wasnt covered in our warranty."

I am planning another trip South over Christmas most likely through Kingoonya to the West Coast of SA. I am less that encouragred about the level of reoccurance of the problem after the dealers said they sorted it - multiple thermostat changes, multiple visits to the dealer - only to result in more failure.

I assume that if any reocurrance was going to happen, that it would have by now - as the wifey took the Mother in Law and the Daughter on an 1100km round trip to the rock last week - air temps outside about 39c for the return trip no dramas with the vehicle.I have also done a few smaller day trips 250 km return with no drama - just starting to get a bit of confidence back in the vehicle and i read all this :evil: .

I might get a pressure test done over 12 hrs to try and rule out a crack in the head or compromised h/gasket, look for bubbles in the overflow. Dont fancy overheating anywhere south of Kingoonya.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
DB
Desert Brewer

Postby slicvs on Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:51 pm

1 and a half weeks later and I still haven't heard a thing about whats actually happened to my ute, whether its a warranty fix or when or if I will get a loaner ute to use for work! I have contacted Mitsubishi Australia, my local dealer and the dealer where the ute is and they have all sent me round in circles trying to figure this mess out, not one of them is taking responsibility and doing something about it.. typical, all three are passing the buck!... Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should do?
T rusty
slicvs

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:37 pm

Lawyer up?

Where are you located, where is the truck and where is your local dealer?

Are you a member of NRMA, RACV or RACQ or any organisation like that?

Ordinarily I'd be thinking the issue was the known block defect causing your overheating. But the fact that it happened so soon after the service is rather suggestive of a stuff up.

First things first though, you need to know the cause. So your first port of call has to be whoever has the ute. They're best placed to tell you the cause. If it's mechanical error from the service then its the servicing dealer that needs to sort their shit out. They'll probably have to make a claim on their insurance given what it will cost.

If it's the known block defect problem then you're off in the other direction to MMAL until they put a new motor in it for you.

If you're a member of one of the above organisations I suspect you will find they have people on staff who will help you agitate for action.

Cowboy Dave

Postby slicvs on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:19 pm

Thanks Dave.. Yes I just want to know the cause, fair enough a known defect, shit happens.

I'm located in Griffith NSW and the local dealer has a shocking reputation for its service work both on tritons and d-maxs as it is!.. like you say im leaning the way of it being something they did wrong during the service, as you would assume they would pick up on a problem during the service if it had any defects. I know stranger things have happened but this approx. 400kms after a service, the odds aren't in their favour.

The motor seized near Goulburn so its currently in their hands and they will be handling the warranty work if that's the case. Which im kind of glad about in a way.

Yes I am a member of NRMA I might give them a call and discuss my options

So ive done a gearbox at 16,000kms and a motor at 45,000kms. I really like the triton, but I cant afford to have it off the road for things like this as its my work vehicle... these are pretty major problems.. A trade-in could be on the cards

cheers Mick
T rusty
slicvs

Postby bstarmotorsport on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:36 pm

I am in the same situation with a local stealer that has no idea what has made my truck over heat to the point where it made a hell of a rattling noise before I shut it down . I was doing. 105kph on the flat open road towing the camper , I had just travelled 5.5hrs through the night and pulled up for breaky 1.5hrs stopped, then headed on my way only 15km down the road and it decides to shit itself . Had it towed back to brissy (my cost) as I didn't want to have to Travel back to pick it up once they had fixed the issue . Local stealer recons they can't get it to get hot anymore as they recon they have been driving it around to see how it goes but they said gee it makes a hell of a rattle up top ! Yet they kept driving it ? It's been there since 3/10/14 and now they are going to take the head off to see if it is something in that area but have said it will cost me in the area of $800 if there is nothing found ! (Cost to replace the gaskets and labour) is this standard practice for these stealers ?
RULES ARE MEANT TO BE BROKEN !!!! AND TRUCKS ARE MEANT TO BE LIFTED
bstarmotorsport

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:42 pm

Did you take it to Eagers?

Cowboy Dave

Postby bstarmotorsport on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:51 pm

No my local stealer is Bartons Wynnum which is where my mech used to work for 7yrs and that's where he buys all the servicing parts directly from , and yet they tried to say there is no warranty as it hasn't been serviced at a Mitsubishi dealer ! Funny that my mech only left them about 12 months ago to go out on his own and the service manager says shit like that !
bstarmotorsport

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:55 pm

Oh well too late now mate, but if it were me, I'd have taken it to Eagers for sure.

Cowboy Dave

Postby har05l on Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:37 pm

I've never had an overheating issue in the 4 plus years of ownership but while it was in getting other warranty issues sorted this "overheating recall notice" was performed also :?

Sad to see others are having major problems, hope all turns out for you guys ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bstarmotorsport on Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:22 pm

Just returned from the stealer with a loan vehicle much to there disgust ! After speaking to the workshop manager this morning and him stating that they will have the head stripped off and see what's going on in the top end - he tells me that that they only have 3/4 of the head undone in a whole friggin day ! F?#%ing useless absolutely joke - service is totally what they don't do or have , I know if I offered that sort of service in my business I would be broke and have no work ! Heads all don't use Barton's Mitsubishi - Hot Tip :evil:
bstarmotorsport

Postby slicvs on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:08 pm

don't worry mines been in Goulburn for 13 days and they still haven't pulled the head off it! Manager reckons he's doing his best to get to it.. Not trying hard enough in my opinion
T rusty
slicvs

Postby hvac guy on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:12 pm

Prob just buying time for a new engine
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kingy on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:36 pm

It sure does get you thinking of how long these engines will last.

My first Mn didn't even make 80k km.
kingy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:02 pm

Well there's two different answers really. The ones with the casting problem will mostly self destruct prior to 100,000km from what we've heard. The ones without will last a couple of hundred at least, assuming they're looked after properly.

Cowboy Dave

Postby shortSteve on Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:08 pm

What CD said ^^^
Was in my local dealer yesterday and was having a chat, seems a recall notice will be issued to all in the next few weeks re: coolant change, radiator cap and on some, thermostats.
They do a lot of mines fleet cars (amaroks and tritons) and have said of late, an increasing number of vehicles are coming in with this overheating issue, started of being mainly MY12 but of late getting a few MY13's through. If caught early and just a quick "overheat", head replacement is the only thing needed, but they do have a couple of full engine replacements too. Seems this problem isn't discriminative, but is more likely in hotter enviroments on hard driven vehicles.
Don't stress too much, amaroks aren't any better with a few engine replacements aswell, but for quality issues (something to do with turbo related engine failure, maybe overboost/cooking ?)

Then, just as all the MN's get sorted, a new one comes out and the process starts again :)

Still, happy with mine, a great dealer relationship makes all the difference.
shortSteve

Postby flyreels on Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:10 pm

It will be interesting to see if any my14/15's start coming through with time, I cant see how coolent, radiator cap and a thermerstat will fix a block or machining defect.
flyreels

Postby bstarmotorsport on Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:21 pm

slicvs wrote:don't worry mines been in Goulburn for 13 days and they still haven't pulled the head off it! Manager reckons he's doing his best to get to it.. Not trying hard enough in my opinion

Yer I know what you mean , although I have some information regarding warranty issues are put aside so they can do the day to day servicing for there booked in clients as that's where they are making there money , MMA don't pay up like the clients do !
Anyway still no head off today and it's was supposedly 3/4 off yesterday ( if it takes 3 days to just remove the , it will take. A week to look at it , a few days to decide what to do to it and another day before they ring to tell me anything that is happening !!! Hmm I'm not sure wether to booked my holidays up on Double Island for Xmas as I still may not have a vehicle !! ). :evil:
bstarmotorsport

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:27 pm

It's hard to imagine that they could.

But as I understand what may be occurring (reading between the lines and making educated guesses etc) the hotline fix probably requires the dealers to undertake a number of tests in a particular sequence (this is common practice).

Those tests will include the ability of the radiator cap to retain the required pressure (and it gets replaced if it doesn't), the condition of the coolant (who knows what they measure here but see also comment later re gas) and whether the thermostat is operating at the correct temperature (and it gets replaced if it doesn't).

I would also assume there is some sort of pressure test going to be involved and possibly analysis of the coolant to see if exhaust gas is evident within the liquid.

They will have worked out criteria by now which indicate the blocks most likely to be faulty - aside from the obvious ones that manage to cook themselves. They'll be trying to avoid stripping too many engines to test so the other staged testing will be like qualifying rounds - each box ticked taking it closer to being pulled down or something like that.

Cowboy Dave

Postby flyreels on Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:05 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:It's hard to imagine that they could.

But as I understand what may be occurring (reading between the lines and making educated guesses etc) the hotline fix probably requires the dealers to undertake a number of tests in a particular sequence (this is common practice)

I would also assume there is some sort of pressure test going to be involved and possibly analysis of the coolant to see if exhaust gas is evident within the liquid.

Hi I agree, but having read this thread most have had the pressure test and the coolant but they came back ok, so if they MMA want to really want to fix this issue I think the only way is to strip down a a fair few to see just what years are affected, do I think this will happen no way.
flyreels

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components