Cooling System Service Campaign

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby jcee on Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:08 pm

Well l received a txt from dealer and quote:
"Hi XXXXX, I wanted to let you know that Mitsubishi have launched a service campaign today and your vehicle maybe affected. This is a campaign that relates to many vehicles and as a customer of >Team at the centre of AFL drug scandal< Mitsi I wanted to let you know prior to public notification. The campaign is in relation to engine overheating on diesel engines"

My 10'MN hasn't overheated but l must say towing 2t of wood up a long gradual climb, l could smell the whiff of coolant even though the gauge read normal (just above middle for me)...booked in for 60k service so l see what they say as well as get rid of my airbag light issue :evil:
jcee

Re: Overheating MN Triton

Postby slicvs on Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:18 pm

G'day all.... Got word from Goulburn today that the heads are off and apparently in the service managers words "cylinder 3 is melted" also the turbo is well and truly stuffed as well as the radiator... now I asked him what the cause would be and he said they have had some issues with coolant as of late and there has been a recall on the coolant... he said that could be the cause or option 2 is the 45,000 km service was not done properly, as apparently they adjust injectors? can any one clarify on that? but it will need a brand new motor and waiting on MMA to approve the warranty claim and get me into a loaner ute ASAP for work! Will have word on this either Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning apparently.. Here's hoping

Cheers mick
T rusty
slicvs

Postby AD07 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:51 am

Mitsubishi bulletin 020116, is the number regarding the over heating issue.
AD07

Postby kingy on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:07 am

What build dates are they recalling
kingy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:34 am

None. It is not a recall. Repeat not a recall. Nor does it involve 40,000 replacement engines as recently posted on facebook and elsewhere.

At the moment it is a service campaign. Some dealers are getting on the front foot and notifying owners. Some will wait for people to bring their cars in for service and do it then. Dealers are asked to check various things, replace coolant, fit a new radiator cap and reflash a new setup to the ECU that has a limp mode which will come into play if the engine is in danger of fatally overheating. I may be wrong but I suspect they will do the checks etc on all MNs regardless of VIN etc.

It would be nice to get a copy of the actual paperwork...
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Tony on Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:58 am

Certainly no recall as CD said. I talk to our local dealer often and the above from CD is pretty accurate.

Our dealer has replaced a handful of engines but not all related to overheating.

MOST are still fine and some fleet/rental/mine vehicles have big mileages now. 8-)
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:30 pm

so with this i called my local stealers and yes my challenger is part of this recall or what ever you want to call it
now my question is do i remove my catch can , egr mod and windbooster before they get it???
as they might think that these have anything to do with it. or do i just leave it as is and they wont say anything??
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bstarmotorsport on Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:26 pm

coughy wrote:so with this i called my local stealers and yes my challenger is part of this recall or what ever you want to call it
now my question is do i remove my catch can , egr mod and windbooster before they get it???
as they might think that these have anything to do with it. or do i just leave it as is and they wont say anything??

Yer best you do!
RULES ARE MEANT TO BE BROKEN !!!! AND TRUCKS ARE MEANT TO BE LIFTED
bstarmotorsport

Postby har05l on Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:25 pm

coughy wrote:so with this i called my local stealers and yes my challenger is part of this recall or what ever you want to call it

I wouldn't bother, Ive always left my sprintbooster and egr mod in and they've never said boo about it.

As if they have anything to do with overheating
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bigbirdalx on Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:46 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:None. It is not a recall. Repeat not a recall. Nor does it involve 40,000 replacement engines as recently posted on facebook and elsewhere.

It would be nice to get a copy of the actual paperwork...

pretty much what lee has said. Looks like its a case by case thing and theres a series of replacement parts and testing, was told it takes a day to do all . If each fail to resolve then possible new engine. Also latest ecu update goes into limp when overheating so donks dont cook them selves.

dont take this as gospel as it was from a chat we had two weeks ago
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Radiator Cap

Postby 2ENIL8 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:01 pm

Just picked my car up from getting the timing belt done and they said that there is a recall in regards to a possible overheating issue, so they are replacing the radiator cap and coolant, which they did for me while the car was in there.
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged from new thread.
2ENIL8
Platinum Subscriber

Postby slicvs on Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:21 pm

Why wouldn't they have had a limp mode for overheating from day one or at least a warning light for overtemp? would have saved the motor in my ute...
T rusty
slicvs

Postby Toddyh on Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:07 am

I think it actually is a recall. Mines a Challenger but same same. Here's a text message I received:
Notice: Safety recall 020116 due on your triton. Please call blah blah to make a booking.

I called up and they said they need to the car for around 5 hours to run a series of tests. It's booked for Wednesday so I will hopefully find out more then.
Toddyh

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:24 am

A recall has to be publicly advertised and notified to federal authorities and typically MMAL would send a snail mail letter to every owner on record. I've subscribed to the recall notification mailing list and thus far haven't had any notice of a formal recall.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Turtlewa on Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:45 am

I rang them MMA headoffice and asked about this issue I was told it affects my Challenger 2011 and yes a letter will be sent out in about 2 weeks could not tell me more

If you get a letter people post up so we can all see
Turtlewa

Postby lazarus on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:03 am

Recall will start next week.

It will include placing the engine "under high stress" (I don't know how) and changing radiator cap, coolant, thermostat and updating ECU.

I don't know the range of the recall vehicles, but I do know my MY13 GLX-R is included.

I was told basically every car included in recall could be affected by this overheating problem even if it does not show signs now or at the time of when they test it.

Reason for overheating is engine block which could shi*t it self any time.

Basically we are driving time bombs.

What they doing now with this "recall" is prolonging the life and time of the fault occurring replacing radiator cap and thermostat with higher or lower tolerance. So it is not a fix, it is just postponing it past warranty period.

Fix is to replace the engine which has new block, but they are not doing it unless the car is already extremely overheating.

Not very pleased after spending 40k on the car only only to be told that it is a ticking bomb!

What a fiasco.....
MY2013 MN GLX-R Auto, diff lock, diff breathers, bash plates, tub liner, reversing sensors, Safari snorkel, BFG KM2 M/T, Rhino Pioneer roof platform, Caddy Alpha Canopy, Dual Battery, Waeco CFX-50, Air Compressor ...
lazarus

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:11 am

lazarus wrote:
So it is not a fix, it is just postponing it past warranty period.

If your engine waited until you were a year out of warranty, and then crapped itself because of a defective engine block, after they'd issued this nationwide service campaign (or recall if that's what it becomes) do you honestly think they could wriggle out of replacing the engine?

Cowboy Dave

Postby nf09 on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:15 am

I have just bought a second hand MY2012 GLXR and have contacted MMA to update there records of vehicle ownership for the car and have also asked about this very issue so I am awaiting a reply.
Lazarus, if that is the case, that is indeed poor form just to put off a much bigger problem :evil:
nf09

Postby lazarus on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:19 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:
lazarus wrote:
So it is not a fix, it is just postponing it past warranty period.

If your engine waited until you were a year out of warranty, and then crapped itself because of a defective engine block, after they'd issued this nationwide service campaign (or recall if that's what it becomes) do you honestly think they could wriggle out of replacing the engine?

CD, I hope you are right if it ever comes to that stage.

BUT, that still does not change the fact that they are admitting the cars have defective block which could shi*t it self any time. And what they doing about it? Changing the radiator caps .....
MY2013 MN GLX-R Auto, diff lock, diff breathers, bash plates, tub liner, reversing sensors, Safari snorkel, BFG KM2 M/T, Rhino Pioneer roof platform, Caddy Alpha Canopy, Dual Battery, Waeco CFX-50, Air Compressor ...
lazarus

Postby kingy on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:30 am

Every MN engine should get replaced with the bigger pajero engine :D
kingy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Turtlewa on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:39 am

I smell a rat..... I mean coolant on this from MMA recall is piss poor on it

Maybe some lemon signs and parked outside the dealers might be a good ACA item they would be interested im sure :mrgreen:
Turtlewa

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:10 pm

I don't think they are admitting that all of them have a defective block - only some of them. Which is kind of the point. If they find that problem they will replace the engines. If they're not sure they're adding additional protection with a better radiator cap, a new coolant concentration and a limp mode to try and shut things down before catastrophic failure.

We know, just from the numbers, that there are plenty of cars out there with no problems at all. I'm hoping mine is one. It has been assessed as part of the current campaign as I understand it and nothing untoward has been uncovered. I've certainly stressed it at times with towing and long distance high speed work. Quite by fluke I had also replaced the coolant with a different mix and changed the radiator cap for an aftermarket one so perhaps I was ahead of the curve a little there (about time really).

We've also certainly heard of a few that have died fairly spectacularly. But on the numbers there are more that are fine than there are that aren't.

To me it seems like more a question of triage. They'll hopefully weed out a few more of the duds and replace them with nice new engines. The ones that get delayed will likely be replaced in due course if they also fail but if they do manage to spread them out a bit with the current campaign then they will spread the pain out a bit and we shouldn't get stuck with massive backlogs as we wait for more new engines to come in.

Cowboy Dave

Postby slicvs on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:24 pm

Here's hoping they have already got a large stock of new engines sitting there ready to go for this "recall".. Im with CD I cant imagine every single 2.5 to have a defective motor, otherwise MMA has a very big job ahead of them and a lot of money to fork out!

I heard of a bloke today who has had 2 replacement motors in under 100,000 kms what are the chances of that happening? He must have some bad luck..
T rusty
slicvs

Postby OffRoadDave on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:48 pm

I hope my 2014 model already has the fix done on the production line, any word if it applies to the very latest ones? :cry:
OffRoadDave

Postby borngeek on Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:10 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to Drive Train Components