Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT)

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Egt temps?

Postby macca002 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:19 am

My EGTs sit between 450 and 500 (post turbo) sitting on a dollar ten. Pretty flat ground and light throttle for the inclines.

Hit 550 doing 140ish yesterday. Was overtaking in a 130 zone.

It would be a lot hotter up my way, so I would say your EGTs are pretty high, unless you are running preturbo? If so, then they are nice and low.

Stock exhaust, no muffler.
macca002

Postby sheepo on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:47 am

hi at 110 it is sitting on about 3.8 psi and about 560 to 580 deg and tps is a 20, if I put my foot down a bit the boost comes up and the temp drops as it is getting more air though to cool it I spose
the probe sits about 40 /50mm back from the turbo in the dump pipe

when the air is cold my tps reads 99 and boost is up over 10/13 psi at 110 and egt temps are around 430 /460 ?
my ute is giving the shits lol
Peter
08 VR
sheepo

Postby Chill on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:58 am

You might need to put in the egr resistor mod in from Tony like I did and bought my temps down to 350 to 400 degrees at 110kph as the TPS on the scan gauge stays at 99 all the time 8-)
Chill

Postby motoz on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:11 pm

With the chip on tune 5 I get 550 deg at 100 km/h. Bypass plug the chip and 450 deg at 100 km/h on flat ground.

Come to a hill with the chip on and it will hit 650 deg then the EGT module de tunes it to standard mapping.

This is on a lazy auto with a full 3" exhaust.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby shortSteve on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:25 pm

Mn Triton, manual, 2.75 exhaust, k&n filter and snorkel, with tune (chip-it, tune 5) around 500-530 cruise at 100-120km/hr, but drops rapidly to 450-475 under heavy throttle.
With no chip, cruise temps are low to mid 400's, but under heavy load goes mid to high 500's.
Light load seems to run hot with the chip in.
shortSteve

Re: Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT)

Postby srb on Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:09 pm

I'm getting rid of my analog egt gauge and instead I'll be using this digital multifunction controller.
Click to view larger picture
Same as the chipit one so has the 5v outputs to contol a relay if needed.8-)

Anyway this brings up a question... Now that I've got a spare gauge holder what gauge would be most useful? Oil temp? Oil pressure? Air fuel ratio? :-?
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:23 pm

A picture says a thousand words. Uphill, 5th Gear. Cool As........ :twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bigcol on Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:35 pm

MN stock towing a 1.5T trailer at 110kph it reaches 380 to 400 on level ground and gets up to around 450 on the inclines on the M1 south of Brisbane
bigcol

Postby thunderace on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:45 am

Was thinking of the Auber
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=139
and then thinking about separating the display from the rest of the electronics to mount separately
With respect to the thermocouple position, I read its meant to be upstream of the turbo, but most of the thread here I've searched for have it mounted downstream, is there a reason for this other than easier to do ???

Thanks
Stuart
thunderace

Postby srb on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:11 pm

No, always down stream of Turbo, seems to be the standard. ;-)

From all reports the Auber gauges are very good. However, I doubt you'll be able to separate the display from the module. Really no need as they are very compact unit anyway. ;-)

I modified a little box from jaycar so I can surface mount it on top of steering column.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby triton_guru on Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:06 pm

Hi guys

I have removed my egr system completely and have made a blanking plate for the manifold. What I'm now thinking is that where the blanking plate is could be an ideal locationg for a egt sensor? Any feed back on this theory would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Guru
triton_guru

Postby coughy on Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:08 pm

srb wrote:I'm getting rid of my analog egt gauge and instead I'll be using this digital multifunction controller.
Same as the chipit one so has the 5v outputs to contol a relay if needed.8-)

Anyway this brings up a question... Now that I've got a spare gauge holder what gauge would be most useful? Oil temp? Oil pressure? Air fuel ratio? :-?

hi srb where did u but that from is it a kit???
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:40 pm

so have been looking in to this would a dual egt display with 2 probe that can be looked at by the flick of a switch be of any benefit??
so you can have 1 after the turbo and 2nd one down the exhaust or over in the inlet or something??
as im going to buy one to mearsure the egt of stock before i get my remap and exhaust.
as i do a little of towing so i wont it to be safe but have some grunt as well...
this is what im looking at
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EGT-EXHAUST- ... 1685956360
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aus_andyk on Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:57 am

Has anyone installed the Redarc (previously Autron) 52mm EGT, boost & oil pressure gauge and can provide any feedback?

http://www.redarc.com.au/products/product/monitoring-gauges_g52-bep/

Has built in alarms & peak hold functions.

Like the option of it being a gauge, rather than a box, so that it doesn't over dominate the dash layout.

Thanks
aus_andyk

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:43 am

Why is it that you blokes will type out a whole post instead of just two words in search? In fact, there is a whole topic on it. Seriously :roll:

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/search.php?keywords=autron+gauge&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby shortSteve on Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:28 pm

shortSteve wrote:Mn Triton, manual, 2.75 exhaust, k&n filter and snorkel, with tune (chip-it, tune 5) around 500-530 cruise at 100-120km/hr, but drops rapidly to 450-475 under heavy throttle.
With no chip, cruise temps are low to mid 400's, but under heavy load goes mid to high 500's.
Light load seems to run hot with the chip in.

Just an update, having been monitoring std tune peak values for a while now, can regularly get to over 600 degrees (post turbo half way between flange and bend) on long climbs loaded and have seen as much as 690 when towing and really loading it up. Based on this, egt's in the 600-650 PEAK range would seem fairly safe. When chip is running, I initially had peak temp set at only 575 degrees but found when towing around 100km/hr temps would often rise quite quickly above 575 and turn off chip. After increasing the cut off to 625 I haven't reached the peak yet doing similar driving while towing.
Think I was being a little over cautious :roll:
shortSteve

Postby uelik on Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:09 pm

aus_andyk wrote:Has anyone installed the Redarc (previously Autron) 52mm EGT, boost & oil pressure gauge and can provide any feedback?

Like the option of it being a gauge, rather than a box, so that it doesn't over dominate the dash layout.

Thanks

I just installed this gauge last Saturday, plenty of options of back light. Programing takes bit getting used to it but after a few go’s it no so bad. Boost i had set 20psi to alarm, as it alarmed quit often i did set it to 22 psi now i hand no more alarms. So my 2010 MN maxes boost pressure at 20PSI I guess. EGT probe is all wired in and awaiting under the bonnet the arrival of my 3"SS exhaust system.
Uelik
uelik

Postby uelik on Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:51 pm

uelik wrote:
aus_andyk wrote:Has anyone installed the Redarc (previously Autron) 52mm EGT, boost & oil pressure gauge and can provide any feedback?

Thanks

I just installed this gauge last Saturday, plenty of options of back light. Programing takes bit getting used to it but after a few go’s it no so bad. Boost i had set 20psi to alarm, as it alarmed quit often i did set it to 22 psi now i hand no more alarms. So my 2010 MN maxes boost pressure at 20PSI I guess. EGT probe is all wired in and awaiting under the bonnet the arrival of my 3"SS exhaust system.

Now with the new Exhaust fitted Click to view larger pictureand the probe connected under normal driving well below 300°C with 100km/h uphill under load it gets to max 420°C. Let’s see what it will be when towing the off road camper behind it.
Uelik
uelik

Postby Bigfoot kiwi on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:20 am

Hi, does anyone know how a DPF filter effects these egt's. And is mounting the probe after the Dpf ok ?
Cheers..Russ
Bigfoot kiwi

2.5 EGT temps

Postby verychallenged on Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:57 am

Gday all

First post so sorry if its a repeat.
I have a 2010 pb challenger, just wondering if anyone can tell me what exhaust temps they are getting with or without chips /remaps fitted please. Chasing more open road,towing and hill climbing figures if possible...
Cheers guys
verychallenged

Postby coughy on Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:27 pm

pn well im interested in your replys as i have a lot for you and mine is standard exhaust
chip no chip it is the same 530ish deg c on flat 100km highway towing a camper trailer
i will be interested in your stock pb findings
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby verychallenged on Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:29 pm

i have run a chip and no chip
no chip on the flats is about 480 degrees and hilly stuff about 520...
with the chip fitted, on the flats 490 to 520 degrees, hilly stuff climbing towards the 600 degrees mark.
Does use a tiny bit more fuel when chipped a well.
Drives soo much better with the chip, just want to work out if its a safe tune or a bit too warm :)
verychallenged

Postby coughy on Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:38 pm

it is fine with those figures no where near my temps
and what chip are you using????

no chip on flat mine is in the low to mid 500s
and chiped dont change it to much little bit higher so yours is all good m8
then i put the boat on and that is a nother story higher higher higher temps :evil: :evil: :evil:
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Re: 2.5 EGT temps

Postby shortSteve on Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:34 pm

verychallenged wrote:Gday all

First post so sorry if its a repeat.
I have a 2010 pb challenger, just wondering if anyone can tell me what exhaust temps they are getting with or without chips /remaps fitted please. Chasing more open road,towing and hill climbing figures if possible...
Cheers guys

Hey mate, I have a new PC with 2.75" exhaust, snorkel but apart from that standard. Runs low to mid 400's on the cruise, higher 400's under load but hasn't got anywhere near high 500's yet, will be towing next weekend so will try and remember to update post after that. Considerably cooler than the Triton ran under the same conditions.

sS
shortSteve

Postby verychallenged on Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:50 am

i was running a module from dieselchiptuning.com i think the box and map etc comes from TDI tuning in the u.k.
verychallenged

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems