FYRLYT - The new standard in driving lights?

Re: FYRLYT - The new standard in driving lights?

Postby fridgie on Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:59 am

George Kyro wrote:Ummm judging by the photos that nft5 posted is it me thats only noticed that the
Nane (1 x spot, 1 x spread) with 100 watt HID, 8000K produced the best light ?

Nobody has even really mentioned it? :roll:

the light seems much clearer and the grass area to the left was even more lit up over the rest of them.

They may not be as bright toward the tree as others but overall judging by these photo's it does seem to emit a more brighter and clearer viewing area
Anyone got those and know ha much ?

NowForThe5th wrote:- Don't be deceived by the mass of light from the boosted HIDs - notice how little you can see outside of the immediate lit area

Too bright in the foreground and your pupils constrict too far so when you go back to normal lights then you can not see diddley squat.

Might be time for you too trawl through 5th's posts on lights and why to choose certain things.
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby robophil525 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:43 am

I had Fyrlyts on my previous car GU Patrol. They are an awesome light for the money. Problem i had is they use a stainless steel bolt to screw into the aluminium mount to hold the light on and i had problems with the thread taking up when installing the lights. 6 months later one rattled out on a corrugated road and ended up going under the wheel of the Patrol. :cry: I checked and tightened the second one up and a few weeks later i noticed it shaking around badly on a corrugated road again (Night this time) and stopped in time to remove the light before it fell off.
I spoke to Fyrlyt about this and they said i may have got a set early on before they added a certain type of washer to the kit (can't remember what type) to help stop the bolts from rattling out.
They were pretty new on the Market when i got them.
I have to say again though, there performance is impressive.
robophil525

Postby DocBassett on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:08 pm

fridgie wrote:
George Kyro wrote:Ummm judging by the photos that nft5 posted is it me thats only noticed that the
Nane (1 x spot, 1 x spread) with 100 watt HID, 8000K produced the best light ?

Nobody has even really mentioned it? :roll:

the light seems much clearer and the grass area to the left was even more lit up over the rest of them.

They may not be as bright toward the tree as others but overall judging by these photo's it does seem to emit a more brighter and clearer viewing area
Anyone got those and know ha much ?

NowForThe5th wrote:- Don't be deceived by the mass of light from the boosted HIDs - notice how little you can see outside of the immediate lit area

Too bright in the foreground and your pupils constrict too far so when you go back to normal lights then you can not see diddley squat.

Might be time for you too trawl through 5th's posts on lights and why to choose certain things.

The human body is an amazing piece of machinery. Your pupils can accomodate extremely quickly. Take a pen light and shine it in someones eyes- watch their pupils constrict. Take that light away and watch them dilate immediately. This is a process known as accomodation and happens in seconds. What would disrupt this process more and make it more difficult to see is oncoming headlights. Oncoming headlights have a far greater impact on vision than changing from spot/high beam to low beam on the car you are driving. (light waves travelling in opposite directions).
I spoke to a bloke with fyrlyts the other day and he rated them highly.
DocBassett

Postby DocBassett on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:12 pm

And on another note, had a chat to a bloke who is colourblind and he cant use HIDs as he can't distinguish colours. I sent off an email to my mates who does a lot of functional neurology to enquire more about it. He has no idea about spotlights and halogen vs HID but suggested the personal make up of an eye I.e number of rods vs cones within the eye would alter the way certain people perceive light. He said he'd read up and get back to me but hasn't yet.
DocBassett

Postby fridgie on Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:20 pm

DocBassett wrote:The human body is an amazing piece of machinery. Your pupils can accomodate extremely quickly. Take a pen light and shine it in someones eyes- watch their pupils constrict. Take that light away and watch them dilate immediately. This is a process known as accomodation and happens in seconds. What would disrupt this process more and make it more difficult to see is oncoming headlights. Oncoming headlights have a far greater impact on vision than changing from spot/high beam to low beam on the car you are driving. (light

Try running around your house at 100kph, go from a very bright area to a not so bright area and see how much those 'couple of seconds' actually take to react ;-)

You need not only time for your eyes to adjust to the light difference but your brain also has to make out what it is seeing. Great to say it only takes a couple of seconds but when you are hundreds of meters from your starting point it can be the difference between seeing and missing something.....
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:31 pm

Also from what I recall of 5th's various posts on the subject, it wasn't about the switch from low to high that was the issue so much as if everything is lit up too brightly (such as where you run a lightbar at the same time as your high beam driving lights) the foreground being so bright decreases your ability to see stuff at long range which kind of defeats the purpose of having the long distance driving lights.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby DocBassett on Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:48 pm

But thats where adding light into the background helps I.e having spots. If there isn't as sharp cut off at the edge of the light, the eye doesn't struggle as much to cope.
DocBassett

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:05 pm

You must be way younger than me. My eyes have trouble enough multi-tasking during the day let alone at night.

Cowboy Dave

Postby DocBassett on Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:08 pm

Haha I don't give mine long. But I've always had great vision. My hearing on the other hand.......
DocBassett

Postby bakerboy on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:54 pm

bakerboy wrote:Any fyrlyt owners in perth?

Any one at all? 6 pack for your troubles :)
bakerboy

Postby hvac guy on Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:11 pm

So to go for the nemesis or standard fyrlyts I think nemesis might be over kill these suckers are bright.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:01 pm

You may find that Chris is soon to receive a set of the Nemesis to check out. No doubt he will share his findings when he's had a chance to overcome the initial excitement.

Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:56 am

Yup. :D There is a new sun about to rise.....

More details soon, but if you're thinking about driving lights then it could well be worth waiting for. ;)
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby hvac guy on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:42 am

Thats the thing I dont have too wait if I want them. Decisions decisions
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:04 pm

I made these today for my fyrlyts...Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture
viking shippy

Postby hvac guy on Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:12 pm

Why shippy why
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:37 pm

I'm thinking it pays not to advertise...looks good and keeps the lenses clean..
viking shippy

Postby snowman on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:22 pm

watch they dont melt mate.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:52 pm

I wouldn't leave them on when running the lights. Apart from anything else they'll reduce the light output significantly.

Cowboy Dave

Postby viking shippy on Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:26 am

Guys their covers.. not lenses I never intended to have them on when I'm driving at night.....fair dinkum....obviously..
viking shippy

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:45 am

As purely covers, they look pretty cool. Well, if you have the soccer mum blue Triton anyway. :P

You said you used acrylic, Shippy? That's good from the point of protecting the polycarbonate lenses from UV but acrylic is nowhere near as impact resistant and can crack if it cops a stone or other impact damage. You kept the pattern? Should be no problem to make another one if that happens. ;)
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby viking shippy on Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:03 am

Yes 5th that was the idea....!throw always....if it saves the lense win win...situ..
I have a template....!
$60 bucks you can have a pair in any colour you like..
As for the polys bending property's ....I haven't got a clue..
Hmmmm maybee I'll make some red ones...nah nah nah nah eeeeuu eeeeu..bah bah..
viking shippy

Postby hvac guy on Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:31 am

So its been over a year since i installed mine. No discoloration still as bright as the day they were installed. I still smile every time i turn them on. Hands down the best money i have ever spent on lights.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby catchya on Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:26 pm

Besides a 30A 12v-24v step up converter, a 250w 24v Xenophot globe, what else is needed to convert my Fyrlyt 5000 to the 9000 Nemesis. Already have 2 x 40A fuses, 2 x relays and seperate looms using 6mm wire.

Have I missed something or am I better off just buying the Nemisis as a package?

Rob
catchya
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:33 pm

I could be wrong mate, but I think the 24v globe might run too hot for the other models.

Cowboy Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical