Oil Catch Can working

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Oil Catch Can working

Postby mad992 on Sun May 31, 2015 3:17 pm

well said snoozy, i agree with what you think and happy to keep the can :!:
mad992

Postby colin b on Sun May 31, 2015 11:02 pm

Well, when I asked my dealer for a price on fitting a catch can he told me they won't do it as it is an engine modification which goes against what the last guy at the same dealership told me. :?:

He also told me that if I got one fitted elsewhere it would only void the warranty if it caused trouble which was directly traceable to it.

I am still on the fence about this as my mechanical knowledge is limited but I know enough not to fiddle with things that I don't fully understand so my Triton is staying as is for now.
Try not: Do or do not, there is no "try". (Jedi Master Yoda)
colin b

Postby dieselweasel on Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:30 am

As promised, here are some photos of my ghetto catch can, made with some proper hosing, some reticulation, brass or stainless air hose bits and the legendary wire wool filter. I mounted it next to the battery and although it hasn't done many k's since, I feel better that the blowback has less of a chance to dirty things.
Scuse the crap photos, they were only really for my own record, I'm on holiday at the moment so if you want anymore photos, I'll be back to normal life (work) in just over a week.

Click to view larger picture
Proud owner of 'Wheelbarrow'
dieselweasel

Postby dieselweasel on Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:33 am

So mucky air goes in the side intake up through the wool and out, the bottom has a valve to drain. So far so good
dieselweasel

Postby dieselweasel on Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:28 pm

Well bloody hell.
My ghetto can actually works! Not sure how many k's-worth this is but I'm more than happy this small quantity of yuck never made it into my intake.Click to view larger picture
dieselweasel

Postby colin b on Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:34 am

I have bought a catch can from my local Autobarn and intend to fit it as per Brodical's pictures above, There is just no room on the exhaust side of the engine bay without getting too close to the hot spots.

My local Autobahn service centre told me that when they fit them they always use hydraulic hose which is expensive at $35 per metre but durable enough so that is what I have bought. Actually, the hose cost more than the can.

Just one question? This positioning replaces the standard 300mm length of hose with roughly 2.5m of the same diameter hose which may result in some restriction of the gas flow. Is this likely to cause any problems with the turbo or engine management systems??
colin b

Postby dieselweasel on Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:56 pm

I've got roughly 2.5m of hose with mine and I've had no problems, I'm no expert but restriction would only occur with a kink in the hose. From what I've read, as long as it's all airtight you should be good.
dieselweasel

Catch can? Which brand?

Postby BigBlurter on Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:01 am

Can anyone tell me what Catch can is best value for money for an mn triton. I've been looking at the provent kit for $325 off eBay, I hear a lot about them but has anyone used the Chip it Tune catch can? Looks the same & is $150 for the kit, does anyone what the difference is with the 2?
BigBlurter

Re: Catch can? Which brand?

Postby colin b on Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:54 pm

BigBlurter wrote:Can anyone tell me what Catch can is best value for money for an mn triton. I've been looking at the provent kit for $325 off eBay, I hear a lot about them but has anyone used the Chip it Tune catch can? Looks the same & is $150 for the kit, does anyone what the difference is with the 2?

Mine was $75 from Autobarn. It is a solid looking metal thing and looks to be o.k. I did have to spend another $100 or so on hose and fittings. It is really only a metal can with an inlet and outlet nozzle - nothing very technical involved so I cannot see why the Provent can costs $325.
colin b

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:24 pm

The Provent has pressure relief valves and a proper filter which is replaceable and some have suggested also washable (although I'm not sure they were intended for washing). It also has 25mm inlet barbs so no risk of flow restriction as with some of the cheapies.

The Provent kit from western filters has all the pipe work and a mounting bracket which saves you a lot of grief finding the bits you need and working out how to mount the bloody thing.

The other one you mentioned is a clone or copy of the Provent. Whether it has properly designed relief valves like the original is questionable (and I don't know either way).

Your question though was value which is pretty subjective. If your question had been 'best' I'd have said the Provent. If saving money was the object my recommendation would simply be to stop the EGR and ignore the oil from the PCV.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Re: Catch can? Which brand?

Postby mad992 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:41 pm

BigBlurter wrote:Can anyone tell me what Catch can is best value for money for an mn triton. I've been looking at the provent kit for $325 off eBay, I hear a lot about them but has anyone used the Chip it Tune catch can? Looks the same & is $150 for the kit, does anyone what the difference is with the 2?

Mine is a super cheap ebay job . Iam happy with what mine does for little money i paid for it.
mad992

Postby coughy on Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:20 pm

look at one of these if value is what your after

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191503383008 ... EBIDX%3AIT
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dieselweasel on Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:21 am

I know it may not look highly sophisticated but I made mine for $70. That's all hoses, all brass connections and drain valve etc... Google making your own catch can and see that people have done them for a lot less expense. I just didn't see much point in spending the money for a fancy one when they're so simple to make. It was good fun too.
dieselweasel

Postby colin b on Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:00 pm

Well, I now have sore fingers and my vocabulary of swear-words has had a serious inventory check but my Drift catch can is now in place and working.

I used a length of 30mm x 30mm x 2mm aluminium angle from Bunnings for the mounting bracket and hung it from the plate against the firewall on the battery side of the engine bay. I pop-riveted a 50mm piece back to back at the top to make a T bracket which spanned two of the built-in holes in the plate which already had captive nuts behind them. I then riveted another short length to the drop which made that into a U shape and bolted the L bracket which came with the can to this. It was quite rigid when I had finished.

Hardest part was what I had expected to be the easiest - fitting the hoses. The hydraulic hose I had bought was extremely difficult to get onto the nipples of the can and near-impossible to get onto those on the block and the flexible hose from the airbox. It was also obvious that the hose from the block would kink if I tried to run it around behind the rocker cover.

In the end I boiled the end of the hose for several minutes , pulled the plastic nipple out of the ribbed plastic hose, greased it up and used a rubber mallet plus a lot of pushing and cursing to slip it on and secured it with a hose clamp.

For the nipple on the block I used the original wriggly hose cut off at the half-way point where it served as a right-angle elbow. That went onto the nipple easily enough and boiling water, rubber mallet and a volley of suitable swear-words enabled me to fit the hydraulic hose to the elbow with a brass joiner.

I finished up only using 2 metres of the hydraulic hose so, hopefully, the change in resistance of the longer hose won't cause any difficulties.

I considered putting steel wool or stainless steel scourers into the can for filtration but, although it didn't seem to change the resistance to any degree, I was antsy about particles flaking off and making their way into the inlet manifold so left the can empty.

Just for my information - can anyone with a bit more mechanical knowledge explain what the implications are if I have increased the resistance in the plumbing by fitting this can? I would hate to blow up my turbo or do other damage which would not be covered by the warranty.
colin b

Postby coughy on Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:37 pm

i stole some of wifeys stockings and placed steel scourers inside and stuffed it inside of the can will let you know how it goes next service as the empty can wasnt working very well as the oil was still misty and going back to the turbo over time.
so watch this space
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby colin b on Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:18 am

O.K., I fitted my catch can a couple of months ago and recently hauled my 1.8 tonne caravan down to Busselton and back - a round trip of around 580kms with a bit of non-van running around. I checked the can on my return and it is still squeaky-clean inside.

Just how long should it take to catch something?
colin b

Postby murwullambah on Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:24 pm

colin b wrote:O.K., I fitted my catch can a couple of months ago and recently hauled my 1.8 tonne caravan down to Busselton and back - a round trip of around 580kms with a bit of non-van running around. I checked the can on my return and it is still squeaky-clean inside.

Just how long should it take to catch something?

This seems to indicate there is not a great deal of oil to catch on a good condition engine, so poses the the question should i bother or not, been intending to do it for a while but now thinking is it worth it?
murwullambah

Postby snakesoup on Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:07 pm

check it after 5k and you will see what it catches alright
snakesoup

Postby colin b on Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:56 pm

[quote="murwullambah".....................This seems to indicate there is not a great deal of oil to catch on a good condition engine, so poses the the question should i bother or not, been intending to do it for a while but now thinking is it worth it?[/quote]

That could be it - my Triton only has 15,000 on the clock so it isn't really run in properly yet.
colin b

Postby davros on Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:47 pm

G'day,

I went to purchase the Western Filters Triton Provent kit but they were sold out. Looks like I would have had to modify or replace the return hose for the ML 3.2 anyway so I just bought the can and then set about working out where I was going to mount it and how. As I had a secondary fuel filter already installed I had to go turbo side. In the end I bought 3 'make a bracket' things from the hardware store and fashioned them into a bracket similar to that of the western filters shape, using 2 bolts at the bottom rear of the air box as the mounts.

I then got hold of some 22.2 mm marine engine wet exhaust hose and managed to get this over the 25mm provent fittings (lots of hot water and a bit or lubricant!), then clamped on the 16 mm engine side fittings, meaning no need for stepping down.

After all that faffing about I then noticed the Western Filters Kit was back in stock...
MY09 GLX-R 3.2
davros

Postby lgd on Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:31 am

Does anyone know if the provent catch can and diesel care secondary filter kit are able to be both fitted [ ie no problem with location of units / clash of space ?]
I used to be uncertain but lately I'm not so sure.
lgd

Postby Sky Miner on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:21 pm

Not bad for a little catch can fit's nicely ;) a lot better than trying to squeeze that 5gallon drum of a provent 200 in there, even get to use the original hose as well
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby snakesoup on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:50 pm

looks neat mate
snakesoup

Postby Sky Miner on Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:10 pm

Some light reading on the different type's of pro-vents and size's with tec spec's ect
http://asgard-engineering.com/wp-conten ... ons-en.pdf
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Re: Catch cans and EGR blocks

Postby bdrjnr on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi There

Does anyone have a picture handy of their catch can on a mn triton auto? especially how they mounted the metal bracket closest to the airfilter.

I am trying to put mine on, but that bracket from the kit from western filters doesn't seem to mount too well near the air filter.

Or did people need to cut the plastic slightly on the airbox.
bdrjnr

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components