Brake controller - location and wiring

Tow pro installation

Postby Four of us on Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:53 pm

I'm going to install my tow pro in the triton.....just wondering were has everyone mounted the main unit...thanks
Four of us

Tow pro installation

Postby mattz on Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:50 pm

Mate.....check this thread out. It should give you some ideas.
viewtopic.php?t=6584
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Re: Brake controller - location and wiring

Postby Four of us on Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:35 pm

Does anyone how how to remove the black surround where the cigarette lighter is on an mn? It look like its one piece and I think that is where I'm going to put the tow pro switch. Thanks
Four of us

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:23 pm

Try this thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5926&p=95771&hilit=dash+removal#p95771

Basically there is one screw bottom right that goes through the panel under the steering wheel. That same panel overlaps the whole driver's side edge so you need to loosen it enough to extract the dash panel.

After that it is all clips and pulls straight backwards. You can lever it a bit along the edges if need be.

Don't yank to too far though as you have a wiring loom to a light under there and the switches down the bottom. They all pull off or out with a hand around the back.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Four of us on Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:23 pm

Thanks for the info cowboy Dave..
Four of us

Postby Four of us on Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:23 pm

I know there has been a lot of talk on here about wiring....but I was wondering where are people placing the main unit of the tow pro in their tritons.. I'm putting mine in next week but I'm stuffed if I know where I should but the main unit.....any help or pics would be great....thanks..
Four of us

Re: Trailer wiring - Can't find a socket!

Postby jasonnewbie on Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:21 am

Hi guys, i have recently purchaced a 2011 glr with a genuine 3000kg tow bar and wiring by the looks (narva plug) i have just bought a camper trailer and want to set up a brake controller. Does anyone know if or how to see if trailer brake wiring is in the tow plug and if the wiring is already in the cabin before i start running wires back there for no reason (ie: already there) I am thinking of getting a brake controller that has a separate control box to knob and light as i dont want to have a control box visable, i just want the knob and light visable. Any input on this would be appreciated, cheers Jason.
FLASH AS A RAT WITH A GOLD TOOTH.
jasonnewbie

Re: Trailer wiring - Can't find a socket!

Postby jasonnewbie on Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:22 am

:?:
jasonnewbie

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:18 pm

Jason, I've moved your posts in here, which is a more relevant thread than the one you posted in. Have a read through this thread.

Please be aware that not every member is here all the time. Nearly all questions are answered when someone who has the answer comes on. Bumping can be seen as demanding and may put people off responding.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby biggibbo on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:08 pm

Doubt it. Pull ya plug apart and look for the blue wire on pin 5. If it's there, Trace that back up the chassis and into the plug in the footwell. If that's all good and it's there, you just need to connect to the brake controller if not you will be running wires I would say. Had to on mine
biggibbo

Postby Koala on Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:28 am

I just finished fitting a Redarc Tow Pro to my 2015 Triton GXL.
I located the main unit on a bracket which is directly underneath the panel where the cigarette lighter is and drilled a hole in the spare switch plate for the separate control unit and knob. I used Velcro to attach the main unit and backed it up with a couple of zip ties which can be fed through under the bracket.
It was simple to remove the trim in the left foot well and locate the wire for the stop lights using a test light. The earth can be attached to a bolt already being used for other earth wires here as well and a power wire fed through the rubber plug on the firewall to supply fused power from the battery. My Triton has a genuine Mitsubishi Tow Bar and wiring at the 7 pin plug, there is a blue wire taped to the harness under the back of the chassis which is there for connecting electric brakes. There is also a spare yellow wire in the harness running from the back all the way into the left footwell. Rather than running another wire I cut this yellow wire at the back of each plug and soldered the blue trailer brake to it. (not being used anyway)
When you remove the back section of the console remove the two bolts inside then lift the front of it to separate the clips holding it to the front console...........do not lift the console at the back or you will break the console around these clips like I did :roll: I bit of epoxy fixed it but it is not nice breaking bits on a new car. When you remove the front console you will have easy access to install the controller module.
Simple job really and all you seel is the redarc knob and no ugly controller to knock your knee on. :idea: :D
Koala
Koala
Platinum Subscriber

Postby v8slrtorana on Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:19 pm

Will be tackling this on Monday.
Have the genuine wiring kit here. Looks like a long day

Fitted this yesterday afternoon.
Didn't take any where near as long as i thought it would.
Click to view larger picture
Used this wiring kit.
Genuine wiring kit = 5 patch harness's, no drilling holes, its all plug and play.
v8slrtorana
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bundyroamer on Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:37 pm

I just installed my redarc remote head into the center console. the dial and led are in the blank push out next to the rear window switch and the main controller box under the console and in front auto gear selector. looks great, within arms reach and out of the way.
bundyroamer

Postby Borakd on Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:43 pm

Do you know what colour wire to tap into on a mn model anyone?? I tried one but it kept my brake lights on even when car was off.
Borakd

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:11 pm

Borakd wrote:Do you know what colour wire to tap into on a mn model anyone?? I tried one but it kept my brake lights on even when car was off.

Try this post mate: http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6584&start=125#p468205

You'll have to click on the pictures to get the whole thing.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Borakd on Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:27 pm

I can't find any orange wire only blue and orange but when I tapped into it my brake lights were staying on there are four wires out of the plug pink and black blue and orange green and black and just black
Borakd

Postby Borakd on Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:08 pm

Does anyone know why my brake lights would stay on when connecting red wire to cold side?????
Borakd

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:13 pm

I would give up on that plug and go to the one behind the kick panel which is known to work. You don't want to be taking chances with anything brake related I reckon.

Cowboy Dave

Postby jasonnewbie on Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:00 pm

Hi guys, i installed a red arc remote set up myself, simple job, no bulky unit to bang your knee on or being obstructive. Well worth getting in my opinion.
jasonnewbie

Postby Naff on Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:59 pm

Has anyone had a brake controller mounted to their trailer? Looking at camper trailers and they said in QLD it was ok to do, but I was just checking the wiring to the trailer plug and noticed the service brake wire isn't connected so probably need to hunt for the wire behind the kick panel and hook it up... just wondering if it would be just as easy to get an in cab controller done by an auto elec anyway?
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:34 pm

For what it's worth I started to fit the "genuine" harness today. The easiest way to get to the 4 in plug up near the top of the firewall is to unplug the ECU, take out the 2 bolts securing the ECU mounting braket, and remove the ECU. You can then get to the plug with ease. The top of the ECU bracket is up behind the dash, and has 2 rubber bushes that go into sockets. You can see them through the dash (with the glovebox out).

I think the harness they supplied me was possibly for an MQ (I have an MN). The harness has an 18 way plug/socket combo that is supposed to go in between an pug under the ECU. After searching for it for nearly an hour, and trying every plug I gave up, and cut it off. It is only to pick up the brake wire, and I will do that via the kick panel method. I checked out the rest of the harness connections, and they all go where they are supposed to go. The instructions are dated 2015, hence my belief that they are for an MQ.

I probably should have sent it back, however, the first one they sent got lost in the post, and I need to have electric brakes fitted by Monday. Apart from the brake wire, it plugged in OK. Nothing a bit of soldering couldn't fix :lol:
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:10 pm

To build on the information supplied by Dave, this is a pic of the the second plug from the bottom (C30). On my MN (2013 GLX) the wire colour is Blue/Orange. I removed the pin from the plug, stripped back the insulation, and soldered the brake wire to it. Then slipped a bit of heat-shrink on it, and pushed the pin back into the plug. Good as gold.

White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tasc4life on Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:12 pm

Just wanted to say a massive thanks! This thread has saved me a fortune, in both money, and in time! Well it will when I finish!
I bought a voyager brake controller brand new for $90 and was considering buying a genuine harness from Mitsubishi for the MQ. No one had one in stick and wanted to charge $140 for it.

SO, armed with knowledge from this thread, I bought $35 worth of cable and a about 20A circuit breaker and am having a crack!

Pretty much following the principals above, using the blue and orange cable from the block behind the left kick panel!

I've run a double cable to the battery through the firewall, and positive leads through the circuit breaker. Just have to attach to battery last thing.

I'm still to run a cable to the trailer plug, but seen a few posts up about tapping in to a yellow cable, will check this out more in daylight.

I don't have the caravan here at their moment to check as its at a mates place, but can anyone tell me which of the 7pins is used for the electric brakes? According to the plug on the ute, (and sorry of its common knowledge or here somewhere else) starting from left to right, 1 is indicator, 2 is brake light, 3 4 5 are nothing, 6 Parker, 7 indicator.

Just trying to work it out before I attack it tomorrow!

Cheers again for everyones input! It's been great!
Tasc4life

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:32 pm

Cowboy Dave

Postby Tasc4life on Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:18 pm

Wow, thanks mate that's perfect! Blue it is! [THUMBS UP SIGN]
Tasc4life

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical