Kuff's GLXR build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Kuff's GLXR build

Postby Kuff on Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:31 pm

Decided I would start a build thread, although at this stage it isn’t much of a build as he’s (yes triton is “he” since he wants expensive things but doesn’t get them) pretty stock standard at the moment but thought it would be a good way to track my progress.
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Re: Kuff's GLXR build

Postby Kuff on Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:33 pm

So a little about me first, I grew up in South Africa and was very fortunate to have parents who were avid campers, although mum was always pushing the glamping (she used to take the microwave). We used to head up into the Northern Drakensberg (mountains) every Easter for two weeks where we’d hike and I learnt to fly fish. Dad would tow the old caravan with his mid 70’s 3.0l Cortina bakkie (ute). Still to date they are some of my fondest memories. Long weekends were spent down at the coast in either tents or if mum got her way, we’d take the caravan.

Age 24 I got married and two years later made the move to Aus. and have been living here for 8 year now.

So wife and I are DINKS (Double Income No Kids) and as a result been exploring the globe doing international trips however March things changed and this coming December we’ll be having our first child, so decided time to return to my roots and embrace camping as it’s something I want my boy to grow up with as well.
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby Kuff on Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:34 pm

So I have owned my Petrol ’08 ML triton GLXR since November 2011. It’s stock but came with factory dif lock and spray on tub liner and only 60 000km on the clock. It’s now sitting on 93 000km and I have decided to start modding it for some weekend 4WD’ing and some family camping getaways.

I am taking it slow and so far have just been getting the essentials, for my first day trip with some mates through the Dunes from Moore River down to Two Rocks I picked up a compressor for a bargain at under a $100 (85l/min).

Click to view larger picture
Last edited by Kuff on Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby Kuff on Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:34 pm

Since then I got myself a snatch strap and a recovery point for the tow bar and a tyre deflator.
Last edited by Kuff on Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby Kuff on Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:35 pm

I also started “Operation Blackout” just basically making all my shiny bits black. So far just the sports bar and nudge bar but all Chrome bits must go 8-)

Last edited by Kuff on Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby Kuff on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:01 pm

The boys and I have since planned a day out at the end of the Month and I have been promised some deepish water so in preparation I have ordered a 4 port breather kit and, although I apparently wont need it, a snorkel as well. Will post some pictures of the install.
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby explorer.dave on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:03 pm

Good stuff Kuff,
keep the build updates coming mate, and I really like your thoughts on keeping the family tradition going with camping, with-out doubt the best memory's I had as a kid growing up, and you learn so much from the experience. Never went camping with a micro but.. :lol:
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby docta.phipps on Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:10 pm

Looking good mate
docta.phipps

Postby Duck on Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:20 pm

Nice work, looking good :)
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby diver albie on Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:12 pm

I'll watch this with interest, looking at breathers for mine so curious how it goes for you.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but necessity of the human spirit.” –Edward Abbey
diver albie

Postby rokster on Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:21 pm

Following this as well - looking good so far !
rokster
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kuff on Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:03 pm

So finally got around to putting in my breather kit this last weekend. For those of you looking for a complete installation guide one has already been done for you over here:

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8031&hilit=breather+kit

So the only things I'm posting are some things I did differently.
I got the 4 port breather kit off of eBay from Air On Board, what you get in the kit...
You can order the blue hose in black if you prefer but they were sold out when I got mine, in hind sight I'm glad I got the blue now. I paid $53.50 including shipping, you can save some money if you go down to your local pneumatics supplier and buy the bits there. I was happy to pay the extra money just so I could get the bracket and for the convenience of having it delivered to work.
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby Kuff on Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:04 pm

I decided to mount the bracket at the top of the firewall on the passenger side where the plate is that has your vin number is on

So drilled the rivets out and remounted the plate over here:

It turned out to be quite a serendipitous (word of the day 8-) ) choice as the outside holes of the mounting bracket matched the old holes from the plate perfectly :)

The bracket is missing one filter as the one fitting had the incorrect thread :evil: but I must admit Air On Board have been really good about sending out a new fitting as it's already on the way with no fuss and were quite apologetic
Last edited by Kuff on Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby Kuff on Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:04 pm

Picture of the breather pipe out of the rear diff. the picture is taken from the rear of the car looking up, please note my vehicle has a diff lock in it and I believe it looks different if you don't.

I simply pushed the breather pipe into the rubber hose and used the clamp that was already on the pipe:

To get the pipe to the front I just sneaked the pipe through the chassis rather than using cable ties as others have.

The gear box / transmission vent is accessed after removing your centre console (refer to the link above for instructions) I have a manual gearbox and vent is the pipe shown below (picture is taken from drivers side)

After installing all of this I would say Mitsubishi already do a decent job venting the front diff and the gearbox / transmission. The only one I would be concerned about is the rear diff so if you aren't worried about filtering and just want to get stuff out of the water a single breather kit would probably cut it, sure others will disagree though.
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby diver albie on Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:23 pm

My rear diff doesn't have the breather hose, the nipple is in the chassis rail but the breather on the diff is just a white cap? Haven't pulled it off as yet to check whats under it.....
diver albie

Postby Kuff on Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:45 pm

diver albie wrote:My rear diff doesn't have the breather hose, the nipple is in the chassis rail but the breather on the diff is just a white cap? Haven't pulled it off as yet to check whats under it.....

Just a guess but I assume you don't have the Mitsi diff lock installed.
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby diver albie on Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:08 pm

Centre but not rear
diver albie

Postby Kuff on Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:38 pm

So a bit of an update. Since my last post haven't had much chance to do much on the Triton since the arrival of my new boy Ethan:
He was 6 weeks yesterday but the pic was at 5 weeks.

Moving on since this is a Triton forum back on topic.

My work mates and I did a bit of an outing a few weeks before the Bub came and it all went pretty well except for two thing, this:

It took us an hour to get him out of there, snatching would not budge him and it seemed as fast as you dug the sand out it went back in. At one point we had two cars trying to snatch him out. Some kind passer bys were kind enough to lend us some max trax and a high lift jack and then he came out out nice and easy.

Other problem was one prado ended up with a basket ball sized dent in his rear door. We had a second prado stuck and its "recovery" point straightened out with the attempted snatch. Made an impressive bang.

As for me, triton went well, didn't need a recovery but must say was happy to have the diff lock on the back. Only damage was I came down onto some rocks and the passenger side step got a bit of remodelling. Sliders may be an investment in the nearish future.
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby Kuff on Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:39 pm

After Bub was born I decided to install my snorkel. That was a lesson in how much available time I actually have or rather lack of available time. All up with still trying to help my wife and get the snorkel in it took me the whole weekend.

I bought an eBay snorkel and followed the installation guide that's on ironman's website. After reading about some other members and the problems they had with the rubber collapsing under throttle, I decided to strengthen mine. I used some 0.6mm thick aluminium and rolled it and riveted it to suit the ID of the hose:

The end result:

Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby Kuff on Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:40 pm

I hope to get my UHF installed sometime soon, but having not learnt from my previous snorkel install I went out and got this:

It's my new Monster Rides suspension with Dobinsons rear leaf springs. I was a bit torn as to whether I was going to get either the Dobinsons MRR or the Monster Rides as price was only $50 difference, opted for the Monster Rides as it got an endorsement from someone who had used both, they said it was a better quality product.

So stay tuned and hopefully it's not too long before I have pics of both my UHF and suspension installed.
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby Kevin Vermaak on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:08 pm

Howzit!

How are you going with the suspension installation?

Cheers
Kevin Vermaak

Postby Kuff on Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:50 pm

Kevin Vermaak wrote:Howzit!

How are you going with the suspension installation?

Lekker ;)

Only got the last bits yesterday so be a little while before it goes in, got to line up a mate who's going to give me a hand, I'm hoping next week or the one after.
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby Kuff on Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:09 pm

So a bit has happened since I last posted.

Biggest change would be that I finally got my Monster Rides kit installed. It's got Medium Kings in the front and 100kg Dobbys in the back. Matt from MR also sent me the extra leaf in case I ever want to upgrade to 350kg. The pic is just after I had installed and is at 640 in the rear and 595mm in the front and riding on the bump stop :-), I got a bit too excited when I was winding the car up :oops: . I've waited for it to settle down (currently at 590) so tomorrow ill wind it down aiming for about 580mm.

I also got a new filter. I opted for K&N, I know a bunch of you go with Unifilter but I prefer the higher airflow from the K&N. I kept the old paper filter and if I plan on doing a lot of dusty road driving I'll swop them out.

Also I decided it was time to put some new bash plates in. I had originally thought of using Buzzy's design and doing some of my own but with the new bub time is a premium. So I was then thinking of the ARB ones, and I must admit they look the goods, I like the fact that they're pressed and not bent (I'm a toolmaker by trade so pressed is always better :)). The big problem with the ARB ones is that they like to rape you with the price. $580 for mild steel bash plates is a bit ridiculous. So in the end I opted for a set of Boos Bash Plates, and I'm really glad I did. A full set of 3 plates for $250 including shipping to WA is a bargain and I'm very impressed with them.

Out with the old....

and in with the new!

So that's all for now folks. I still need to put the CB radio in, it's just sitting in the garage still and I'm starting to feel guilty about it, been there for ages. Also need to get some new rubber to fill those guards up.
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby Mayhem2015 on Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:11 pm

where is that pond the hilux is stuck in?? I have spent some time down baldivis and rockingham way and can't say that is looks familar.
Keeping the shiny side up since 1984. :D
Mayhem2015

Postby Kuff on Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:08 pm

Mayhem2015 wrote:where is that pond the hilux is stuck in?? I have spent some time down baldivis and rockingham way and can't say that is looks familar.

It's the Moore River up North, a bit inland from Seabird. Actually quite a nice track, had some good fun.
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Next

Return to Member Build Ups