Which Locker POLL ?

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Which Locker combination would you buy or already have ?

You may select 1 option

View results

Re: Which Locker POLL ?

Postby SLIMaxPower on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:07 pm

I'm sorry but with all polls there must be the following options...

1. What is a (insert poll title here)

2. Candy. Candy is usually the last option.
SLIMaxPower
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kcdusk on Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:25 pm

I'm an experienced driver in the sand. I've towed campers through Googs track x 4 times, Simpson x 2, Lincoln to wanna x 2, lots of sand work towing a trailer with my 2008 Triton.

I've been bogged 3 times. Each time my drivers side rear wheel "hung up" in its own hole (drivers side rear tyre spins while nothing else moves) and i couldn't get out until i filled the hole back in using an exhaust jack or been snatched out.

I'm now planning a big trip on my own, with no one to whinch me out.

1. It can't be random that each time its my drivers side rear wheel thats been the problem, can it?
2. Will a rear locka fix my problem?
3. I've had some tell me the Triton is nothing but a tradies ute and the drive system isn't proper 4WD so i'll always have problems even with an air locka.

Can anyone answer these questions, especially #2 (with #3 in mind)?
kcdusk

Postby kcdusk on Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:26 pm

Oh, i was going to get an ARB locka unless theres a "triton" sponsor here thats been looking after everyone that someone could point me too in SA?
kcdusk

Postby explorer.dave on Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:41 pm

3. I've had some tell me the Triton is nothing but a tradies ute and the drive system isn't proper 4WD so i'll always have problems even with an air locka.

Incorrect, NO 4WD on the market is a true 4WD unless you have front and rear diffs locked.

1. It can't be random that each time its my drivers side rear wheel thats been the problem, can it?

Probably is, I have been on here for some time now and haven't heard of that one?

2. Will a rear locka fix my problem?

Most members are utilising the traction control on the rear and fitting a diff lock to the front, this tends to get them into places they really shouldn't be.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby salt36 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:48 am

kcdusk wrote:1. It can't be random that each time its my drivers side rear wheel thats been the problem, can it?

This has to do with the turning force of the engine and rear diff.

For some reason the drivers side will spin up before the passenger side, happens on most rear wheel drive cars.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can explain further.

And yes a rear diff lock or LSD will solve it.
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby kcdusk on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:14 am

I thought the Triton came with LSD as standard? And that it just wasn't "locking in" when under power?
kcdusk

Postby Homer on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:28 am

Yes it does but they aren't locked as such and if the weight comes off the one wheel it will tend to spin up.

Rear diff lock will ensure that both continue to turn in those situations.

The dual cabs are pretty good as 4wd's but aren't as capable as some of the big dedicated vehicles in standard form. Horses for courses in that regard.
A lot better than just a tradie ute though, and if twin locked or even front locked will probably end up recovering your mate when he gets stuck ;)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby aids84 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:21 am

Triton's haven't come with a LSD since around 2011 when ASC became standard across the range.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:51 am

They are talking about a 2008 vehicle
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aids84 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:41 am

Oh ok fair enough. The hybrid LSD in the Triton will tend to spin one wheel if it goes airbourne or has very little grip. If you load it up a little with the handbrake it should transfer the drive across to the wheel with traction. I have demonstrated this to a few customers with a trolley jack when they come in complaining their LSD isn't working.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kcdusk on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:24 pm

Good suggestion re the hand brake.

I was going to get a rear locker, having heard thats where the weight is and the rear "drive parts" tend to be stronger than the parts on the front wheels. yet, a few ppl just now have said to get front locker.

whats the difference, whats the best to do, front or rear? Probably a can of worms but i'd listen to pros and cons to help make up my mind.
kcdusk

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:52 pm

if it is sand and towing that your primary use is- the rear locker will be the best choice for the reasons you have mentioned- stronger parts, down weight of the trailer helping traction, and it seems you have been able to extract yourself out of the situations when you have created traction to the other wheel- exhaust jack and infilling?

I would get some additional traction boards- I like maxtrax if your going solo and you should be set.

if more offroading without trailer, for pure traction the front wins out, but is not as practical option in your case, although everybit helps when your stuck.

if you can only afford one- for your use as you explained it is the rear.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Homer on Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:54 am

4wd26 wrote:if it is sand and towing that your primary use is- the rear locker will be the best choice for the reasons you have mentioned- stronger parts, down weight of the trailer helping traction, and it seems you have been able to extract yourself out of the situations when you have created traction to the other wheel- exhaust jack and infilling?

I would get some additional traction boards- I like maxtrax if your going solo and you should be set.

if more offroading without trailer, for pure traction the front wins out, but is not as practical option in your case, although everybit helps when your stuck.

if you can only afford one- for your use as you explained it is the rear.

X2
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby explorer.dave on Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:03 am

kcdusk wrote:Good suggestion re the hand brake.

I was going to get a rear locker, having heard thats where the weight is and the rear "drive parts" tend to be stronger than the parts on the front wheels. yet, a few ppl just now have said to get front locker.

whats the difference, whats the best to do, front or rear? Probably a can of worms but i'd listen to pros and cons to help make up my mind.

A couple of reasonable youtube clips that help explain it all from WA 4wheeling club,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U1SLSV9wNk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSKrEFcY-C4
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby micv on Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:10 am

Having had front first for 2 years before installing a rear, IMO id definately go a rear first. For one thing, the front locker should only be used carefully and momentarily (as a comp driver concurs) while the rear you can almost set and forget without fear of damage. With the standard ARB wiring you cant even turn on the front without first engaging the rear.
micv

Postby kcdusk on Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:00 am

Question: i'm about to order an Harrop E-locker for the rear. I've done enough reading to know there are 28 and 29 spline diffs, but don't understand how to know which one i've got.

My vehicle is a 2008 ML triton, automatic. Will i be 28 spline?
kcdusk

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:51 am

I thought it was 28 and 31? You can tell by counting the bolts on the front of the diff
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:04 am

you have a 9.5" diff

Not all MN but most have (10 Bolt rear diff housing)
Rear 9.00" diameter shaft 30.5mm (1.20") 28 spline ARB application list = locker RD212

ML and some MN (12 bolt rear diff housing)
rear 9.50" diameter shaft 33.6mm 31 spline ARB application list= locker RD154
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby kcdusk on Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:08 am

My mistake re 29/31.

Sounds like i have a 31 spline diff. I'll count the bolts though.
kcdusk

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components