HELP with UHF/VHF aerial mounting

Re: HELP with UHF/VHF aerial mountin

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:55 am

How can the lead pass through the spring if you've stuck a bolt in the bottom of it? You've got me confused there.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:01 am

Pics don't show it CD, but might be hollow bolt?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:03 am

Yeah maybe, I was expecting maybe a hollow stud and a nut but it looked pretty solid in the images.

Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:05 am

No, only use the bolt if you have the adaptor for the lead that goes on top of the spring, like in my first pic, above. If you want to bring the lead in through the bottom then you'd need a short length of threaded tube to go through the mount with the spring on the top and washer and nut on the underneath.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby amyh4n on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:46 am

Cowboy Dave that bolt is hollow so the wire passes through :D

Guys Im so lost right now may be should i take more photos would that help ?

I already have 6.6 db whip that screws on top of spring i just did not added that in photo my main concern was just that extra nut and washer since i felt like I dont seem like it has any use until it has anything to do with earth or some sort
amyh4n

Postby godzilla_rising on Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:08 am

Alright, from what I can see it's nice and easy, swap the spare washer and nut around that you have in pic 3 so that you have the split washer between the spring and the nut. I think it's just there as a lock nut to stop the hollow bolt from unscrewing etc.

Everything else is as you see it, bracket mounts to bar with the 4 other smaller holes (hopefully you have bolts etc) and then the antenna goes on top.

All the best with it!!!!
Godzilla Rising

"Kate's Dirty Sister" click here
2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Postby amyh4n on Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:20 pm

Just to let you guys know I bought a GME 4018K1 and I know how to assemble it just the question about that random nut and washer
amyh4n

Postby amyh4n on Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:22 pm

Just to let you guys know I bought a GME 4018K1 and I know how to assemble it just the question about that random nut and washer
amyh4n

Postby amyh4n on Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:21 pm

Thank you godzilla_rising
amyh4n

Postby snakesoup on Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:46 pm

just do away with the extra nut and washer, as it's not needed in that instance amy ..
snakesoup

Postby amyh4n on Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:00 pm

Awesome thank you for everyones input I managed to mount the antenna and get the wire inside the cab through firewall . I wish to place Uhf inside that empty slot in middle of dashboard ohoto link below for reference.

Now questions can i get that slot out or do I need to take the whole dash panel off for that ?

How should I get that small slot out since I wish to make whole behind it so that UHF cable can come through that ?

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Trit ... E_58QHM%3A
amyh4n

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:24 pm

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5926&p=95771&hilit=dash+removal#p95771

Basically you have to take the entire centre dash piece off to remove that pocket. Alternatively, if your radio is small enough to fit in the pocket you can drill holes in the back of it - but go easy to avoid drilling through any wiring that might be in behind the pocket.

Cowboy Dave

Postby amyh4n on Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:44 pm

thanks Dave

So I have managed to connect everything and UHF is turning on and everything and I thought it will be cool to test it out so I went on freeway and put the uhf on scan mode but it did not pick up anything. not sure if my uhf has some issue or is it normal not to pick up anything.

Im just wondering what way I can test it that it is working properly
amyh4n

Postby godzilla_rising on Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:54 pm

Turn it to Channel 40, ask for a radio check...either a truckie or someone else monitoring the radio will generally let you know if its working.

Thats if there is anyone around... :D
Godzilla Rising

"Kate's Dirty Sister" click here
2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Postby explorer.dave on Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:18 pm

And here's a little radio jargon for you to practise up on...... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3VN54M1OXA
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby amyh4n on Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:58 pm

Again thank you to the best bunch of people.

Quick update:

I have GME TX3100 Plug and play that goes in cigarette lighter and GME 4018K1 Antenna.

I connected the antenna wire behind UHF and plugged UHF into cigarette lighter.

I could not hear a word or receive any signal tried mates Antenna still no signal.

Then I loosened the Antenna but still let the Antenna cable inside UhF then I could hear something so seems like it has something to do with earth but again it does not make sense if this antenna is ground independent then why should i have issue.

My mate said he has never some across such a thing before did any of you had this issue
amyh4n

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:22 am

Did you cut the cable and do your own coax plug join?
Guessing that that had to happen in order for the cable to be put down the spring and made smaller for the firewall grommet.

That is where I would be looking
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby amyh4n on Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:12 pm

I have mounted antenna on nudge bar on GME bracket and Antenna fire goes inside the cab and behind the UHF itself.

Since my TX3100 is plug and play I have put the cigratte lighter socket in cigarette lighter.

No I did try and put on channel 40 and channel 3 but did not hear a word.

One of the friends mentioned you have two earth one is on nudge bar because on antenna and other in cigarette lighter that could be the reason.

Now im confused I did not separate red and black wire since I thought this unit is made to just go in cigarette lighter hence its easy.

Funny thing last night I tried to unscrew the antenna plug and because my hand was touching it and it was on channel 3 I could hear random people on but then it went quite again.

now If this is plug n play how does that earth thing work additionally one of my friend mentioned I might have to run a red wire to battery from cab ?

this is the exact unit have below with that cigarette lighter plug

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=tx+3 ... w0fWFAM%3A
amyh4n

Postby Naff on Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:51 pm

If everything else works in the accessory socket then I would rule that out. It sounds like the issue is at the antenna plug.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:21 pm

Click to view larger picture

did the antenna in the above pic come with the unit?
have you tried this little "standard" antenna to see if you get reception?

it looks like you have the above unit and have adapted another aerial, this new aerial unless all connections are as per factory- unlikely as it had to be feed down through the spring bracket you posted before, then the connection and ground at the coax plug may not have been done correctly.

this connection is the most important in send and receive.......
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby amyh4n on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:36 pm

Yes you are 100% correct I have the GME above but do not have that small antenna.

So should I rule out the theory of double ground not sure what ever that means that I have two grounds.

If the unit is meant to be designed to just plug in cigarette lighter then I cannot understand why would I need to wire it to battery( red cable) ?

I have everything same as above the only difference is I have Antenna that is mounted on nudge bar :? ohh another question is when I cut the antenna wire I put in that Antenna connection and instead of soldering the wire I passed it through and bend it not sure if it needs to be soldered or something
amyh4n

HELP with UHF/VHF aerial mountin

Postby snakesoup on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:40 pm

that's your problem then, that plug needs to be soldered on correctly
or it won't work, and can Evan damage the radio
snakesoup

Postby amyh4n on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:44 pm

So it does not work if its not soldered is that right ? Nothing can be wrong with UHF unit itself can it ?

but just to add one more thing I tried my friends antenna that is soldered perfectly and plugged in behind my unit it did not work ? but when I was unscrewing it and had my hand on the unit I started hearing or receiving people so we thought this has to do something with ground then ? that just proved my unit is working fine something is shorting somewhere.

just to clarify my mate had a spare antenna sitting in his car similar to what I have and we let the radio be in my car and just plugged in his antenna and antenna was sitting on side step
amyh4n

Postby snakesoup on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:50 pm

I've always gone by that you should not transmit without an antenna connected as it it can damage the radio. " don't ask me how or why " if it's not soldered it will not be a decent connection and will cause nothing but problems, either ask a friend that knows how to do it or take it to an auto elec they probly won't charge you as it's a one minute Job
good luck with it , snake
snakesoup

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:32 pm

Yeah I've certainly read before that if you transmit with no antenna you can stuff the unit. Hopefully you haven't done that.

If it makes you feel any better I once tried to repair an antenna on a spring like that. I was extra careful and soldered etc but it never worked properly despite that. I suspect there was a secondary wiring issue there but we ran out of time.

The other thing I reckon sometimes happens is if you twist the components too much when screwing into the spring you can bugger up the connection. I haven't actually done that one but came pretty close once. :oops:

Cowboy Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical