Advice on rated recovery points - MQ Triton

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Advice on rated recovery points - MQ Triton

Postby mooky on Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:38 pm

I'm looking to get some rated recovery points for the MQ EXCEED and was wondering if anyone can recommend some. I have search the forum but not found anything specific to the MQ.

What have others used

Cheers
Mark.
mooky

Re: Advice on rated recovery points

Postby jerrah on Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:53 pm

I understand some of the bull bars come with rated recovery points. I.e TJM bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp0Mm8I336A
Last edited by jerrah on Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jerrah

Postby L200Shogun on Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:59 pm

Apparently Road safe have some coming out soon for MQ (date keeps getting delayed),
Possibly not rated.
L200Shogun

Postby Merts on Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:09 pm

I reckon if you use an equalising bridle (tree trunk protector would probably be okay too) between the two factory tow points they would be plenty strong enough for any snatch recovery.

If you manage to damage them you are doing it wrong. ;)
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby L200Shogun on Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:26 pm

Mixed views on that here and elsewhere.
One is a tow hook the other a tie down point
Not sure I would put a bow shackle on the tie down point. Maybe a Gator Jaw or some other kind of soft shackle.
Best not to learn recovery off the net. YMMV
L200Shogun

Postby Merts on Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:47 pm

L200Shogun wrote:One is a tow hook the other a tie down point

I think you are thinking about the MN points.

The MQ has identical points on both sides, and they consist of two thicknesses of about 5mm plate with a hole through them welded to the chassis rails. I haven't done any comps on them, but I'm extremely confident you will break a snatch strap before the tow points fail.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby docta.phipps on Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:52 pm

Merts wrote:
L200Shogun wrote:One is a tow hook the other a tie down point

I think you are thinking about the MN points.

The MQ has identical points on both sides, and they consist of two thicknesses of about 5mm plate with a hole through them welded to the chassis rails. I haven't done any comps on them, but I'm extremely confident you will break a snatch strap before the tow points fail.

I think they were referring to the different "points" of view. I.e. some people say they are for towing, some say for tie down.

Maybe I'm confused too :/

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
docta.phipps

Postby Merts on Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:56 pm

docta.phipps wrote:I think they were referring to the different "points" of view. I.e. some people say they are for towing, some say for tie down.

Maybe I'm confused too :/

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

L200Shogun might like to clarify, but I assumed he was referring to the points on the front of the vehicle. In the case of the MN, one is a light weight tie down point, and the other is a much heavier tow point.

Both points on the MQ are quite solid, certainly much more than tie down points.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jerrah on Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:41 pm

Merts wrote:Both points on the MQ are quite solid, certainly much more than tie down points.
I've thought they're quite solid too. I haven't got the owners manual near me at the moment but I'd assume they would be mentioned in there. I know there was information about the appropriate usage in the MK manual.
jerrah

Re: Advice on rated recovery points - MQ Triton

Postby andelect on Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:39 pm

MQ - used an equalising strap for the tie down points, and got pulled out of sand ridge where centre of vehicle caught - no problems OK. I asked TJM about this, and they said should not be a problem as long as you use the equalising trap.
Manual doesn't give towing rating of the "tie down" points, but I agree they appear beefy enough as long as you use an equalising trap with normal vehicle weight.
I would have some reservations/question marks with heavily laden vehicles, or sticky mud laden vehicles. I think this will "test" the welding/strength of these points.
Anyway, equalising strap OK with my sand trapped vehicle. No distortion etc.
andelect

Postby Dunga71 on Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:18 pm

The manual states there tow points,I used to snatch off the ones on my MN and never had a problem,will def be using the ones on my MQ there pretty solid
Believe all ya see and half what ya hear
Dunga71

Postby mooky on Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:17 pm

Thanks guys. I have an arb bar so no recovery points there. I had looked at the manual and as dunga stated, only refers to them as tow points. But they are solid.
mooky

Postby jerrah on Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:07 pm

mooky wrote:Thanks guys. I have an arb bar so no recovery points there.

ARB claim there is one or they have one in the works. I'd guess it should be a match for the ARB stuff you already have.
The extra design and development work of the bar allowed for an ARB recovery point and under vehicle protection (UVP) to be developed at the same time, ensuring all three components work as a protection package.

http://www.arb.com.au/summit-triton/
http://www.arb.com.au/triton-mq/recovery-points/
jerrah

Postby mooky on Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:29 am

Thanks jerrah.
mooky

Postby BMac on Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:35 pm

Hey,

Has anyone had any experience with recoveries from the front factory tow/tie down points?

I went to my local Opposilte Lock store and they don't have have any rated points available yet and I can't find much info on the net.

I've got an equaliser strap but haven't had to use it yet.

Interested to know if the factory points hold up in a recovery?

Cheers
Cheers to Mud and Beers
BMac

MQ front recovery points

Postby Crackles on Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:58 am

Hi all, is anybody aware of any front recovery points for the MQ triton? I know there has been some talk on whether the factory points are tow or recovery, from reading the owners manual I am of the opinion they are for tow only. I have searched the major 4WD outlets etc and can only find ARB supplied points but they are for ARB only bullbars.

Thanks
Tony
Crackles

Re: MQ front recovery points

Postby Aza08 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:11 am

I was the same i just went with the ARB ones, or its common for most bars to have them incorporated now, only other option is to make your own.
Aza08

Postby Merts on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:40 pm

Aza08 wrote: only other option is to make your own.

Actually, there is another pretty simple option. Just use the factory ones.

Btw, if you make your own, they won't be rated, and unless you have a few engineering clues they won't necessarily be any better than, or even as good as, the factory points.

PS. In response to a couple of earlier comments, both points on the MQ are tow points, not just tie down points. They are designed for pulling the vehicle. Whether they are designed for the full force of a snatch recovery is unknown, but they certainly look pretty substantial.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:52 pm

Could always paint them yellow to make you feel better. :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Aza08 on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:32 am

For those of you who are interested in what the ARB recovery points look like here you are, I must say they are substantial :o :shock:

Click to view larger picture

Should do the job :lol:
Aza08

MQ front recovery points

Postby tigger384 on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:20 am

Hi

I did a search to see if this had been asked before and could not find an answer so here goes( please be gentle I am a complete beginner). Some members say that the "recovery/tow/tie down points" are sufficient for most recoveries especially when used with a equalization strap. Yes I did also see the posted video of Mitsubishi using these points on a Pajero. As a total beginner I am going to join one of the local 4x4 clubs all of whom insist on rated recovery points being fitted and not the ones that come as standard on the vehicle. I am amazed that for such a popular vehicle that these recovery points are so hard to find, I could find one local 4x4 shop that could supply and fit just the recovery points. Most places want to sell me a bullbar with recovery points and one place recommended to upgrade the front and rear suspension to cope with the additional weight of a bullbar! So a few questions I have:-

1) As I am only starting out 4x4ing and am only going to be tackling mainly the beach and the tracks to get to them do I really need a bullbar ? Having lashed out on good quality recovery gear, compressor and the other bits and bobs plus the cost of the (brand new) Triton, the minister of finance is getting a bit frazzeled!

2) I have been advised by the 4x4 shop that just fitting the recovery points will cause problems to actually use them when being recovered the straps will hit the front bumper and damage the bumper. When I looked at where the points where actucualy going to be fitted I thought that this would only really happen if the recovery vechical was at a level much higher than the vechical being recoved so that the straps were at a steep angle to the front of the vechical. Can anyone give some insight into this please.

3) I understand that a steel bull bar weighs a good 60-70kgs and is mounted infront of the axle line. But the truck is rated to tow 3.1 tonnes and upto 950kgs in the vechical and I am being told that for a mere extra bit of weight in the nose I should uprate the suspenion to cope! Now I will eat some humble pie if I am wrong but this just sounds like BS to me?

Many thanks for any advice given

Steve
tigger384

Postby Merts on Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:32 am

Gidday Steve.

1. No, you don't need a bullbar, particularly if you are mainly doing beach driving.

2. Sounds like BS to me. :)

3. If you do fit a bullbar, particularly a steel one, upgrading the front springs is pretty much required. The factory springs aren't rated for the additional weight and the front will sit lower than it should.

Re the factory tow points on the MQ. They are tow points, not just tie down points, and they are quite substantial. Mitsubishi have designed them for the purpose of towing/recovering the vehicle. If you managed to apply enough force to them to break them you are doing your recovery wrong (particularly if you are spreading the load via a bridle). I've not done any comps on the strength of the factory points, but my 'educated' opinion is that a snatch strap will break well before the tow point would be damaged. I've used mine being recovered in sand with no problems.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:05 pm

tigger384 wrote:But the truck is rated to tow 3.1 tonnes and upto 950kgs in the vechical and I am being told that for a mere extra bit of weight in the nose I should uprate the suspenion to cope! Now I will eat some humble pie if I am wrong but this just sounds like BS to me?

It gets even worse.

So, let's say that you get that 3100kg trailer and hook it up to your Triton....

GCM (Gross Combination Mass) is 5885kg.

less: Mass of trailer 3100kg

Maximum mass of vehicle 2785kg
less 10% towball weight 310kg
Maximum nettvehicle mass 2475kg
less:
Tare weight of vehicle (GLS) 2042kg
Full tank of fuel (say) 60kg
Average bloke (driver) 90kg
Shiny new steel bullbar 60kg
Second battery to keep the frig cold 30kg
Frig, food, tent & other camping gear 120kg
Beer 20kg
Nice new recovery gear 20kg

Now, at this point you have 33kg capacity for the missus and kids and all their gear.

But.....all that weight in the back means that your rear axle is overloaded. Relocate the beer to the front, leave the food at home and take a fishing rod. The missus and kids didn't want to go anyway, did they?

Oh, that's right! The recovery points (topic of this thread). As above, apart from the 10kg weight penalty, on a Triton (or Pajero/Sport/Challenger), not really necessary. The factory points have been tested and are more than strong enough, provided you follow correct procedures.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:01 am

Ha ha... and that's why all contemplating towing should consider a maximum target trailer load around 2500kg.

It gets even worse for that macho machine from fraud, for guys with little 'bits' who want to tow 3500kg trailers. Between the abs protection layer, esky and accessories, you might not even be allowed out the driveway. :lol:

I just look at the front chassis section of most of the new 4x4 utes and think they're not really designed to be bolting too much extra hardware to.

With regards to the welded on points, I'd be more confident with them over a bolt on affair. If your exposing your vehicle to corrosive environments, can you be sure the bolts aren't getting compromised by corrosion where they're not visible?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tigger384 on Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:01 am

Hi

Thanks very much for the advice will now try and source some humble pie :cry: . So first lesson about the Triton is that the stock vehicle is capable but and mods need careful consideration as to the other components added as they will effect the truck in different ways and will need to be taken into account.

Cheers

Steve
tigger384

Next

Return to General Discussion