Calamity Jane

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Calamity Jane

Postby Maxiy on Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:35 am

Hi all

Bit of an update. Managed to install the winch i got second hand from a mate. It is a WARN XD9000, and i picked it up for a bloody good price. Took me and my brother about 5 or so hours to fit the unit up on friday night. had to take the bar off to get the winch on, which was a pain in the behind. Took us for ever to re-align the mounting holes.

We managed to get it all bolted back on and wired up, then i realised that i have not rotated the gearbox lever, it was point back into my intercooler :oops: :| . so had to spend another hour or so rotating the gearbox to the right position, which i can tell you is a real pain when it is still fitted to the bar.

Now i just need to change the cable to Dyneema, mainly for weight reduction.

Click to view larger picture
Maxiy

Postby snakesoup on Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:39 am

looks in great nik mate, looks like the cable has never been wound off!
snakesoup

Postby Maxiy on Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:59 am

snakesoup wrote:looks in great nik mate, looks like the cable has never been wound off!

Yeah it was in really good condition. Got it from a mate, it was a spare at his work and had been sitting in the storage shed for a few years. They were doing a clean out and no longer needed it, so i snapped it up quick smart
Maxiy

Postby Jacobie on Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:34 am

Good steal mate! Looks sweet, I will get one eventually :lol:
2013 MN GLX-R

Build Thread: Jacobie's 2013 MN GLX-R
Jacobie

Postby Maxiy on Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:31 pm

A little update. Started building up a frame to support a 70 series roof rack I got from a mate. After trying my hand at the pipe bender using 32nb heavy weight pipe, and making a pigs breakfast of it I got some 25nb and managed to get a much better result. Click to view larger picture
I'm still not sure about my choice of fixing the rack to the bar. I wanted to try keep it easy to pull down and take off. I guess I will see how it goes.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Maxiy

Postby Maxiy on Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:49 am

Painted and ready to be mounted. Fingers crossed my planned mounting system works. Click to view larger picture

Maxiy

Postby snakesoup on Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:51 pm

looks good mate!
snakesoup

Postby Maxiy on Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:39 am

Mounted and ready for the weekend. Not happy with my fixing job so will need to look at a different option when I get some time. Click to view larger picture

Maxiy

Postby Minza on Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:02 am

Looking sweet maxiy, not finished yet mate can't see any recovery gear on there yet. :lol:
Minza

Postby Maxiy on Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:13 am

Minza wrote:Looking sweet maxiy, not finished yet mate can't see any recovery gear on there yet. :lol:

HAHA its all organised in a box, just have to put it on. high lift and tracks need to get mounted tonight. If i get time hahah
Maxiy

Postby Maxiy on Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:48 am

Been a while since an update.

Got myself a batwing awning over xmas, so that has been mounted to the cage. The awning is awesome, makes short trips very comfortable and easy. Wraps right around the back so i can use the tailgate as a kitchen. The combination of the Rack and the awning has seen me wipe 80km off a full tank though :oops:

Her is the awning

And here she is loaded up last friday for my brothers bucks weekend.
Maxiy

Postby Jacobie on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:10 pm

Awesome setup mate, looks sweet!

Are you going to go canvas or leave it open on the back?
2013 MN GLX-R

Jacobie

Postby Maxiy on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:15 pm

Jacobie wrote:Awesome setup mate, looks sweet!

Thanks Mate

Not sure yet, maybe down the line, i was possibly thinking of just turning the section at the back into a locable cage with canvas, so i can put clothes, valuables etc in there, but still have an open tub for getting firewood and stuff.
Maxiy

Postby Jacobie on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:45 pm

Maxiy wrote:
Jacobie wrote:Awesome setup mate, looks sweet!

Thanks Mate

Not sure yet, maybe down the line, i was possibly thinking of just turning the section at the back into a locable cage with canvas, so i can put clothes, valuables etc in there, but still have an open tub for getting firewood and stuff.

Bit like that isn't it. Got a whole bunch of ideas, but not sure which one is most beneficial :lol: My current situation...
2013 MN GLX-R

Jacobie

Postby Joel on Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:49 pm

Looking good there maxiy. Cant wait to see it on the tracks sometime soon. I bet the awning is a whole lot easier than draging that tarp over the swag and tying it up.
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby Maxiy on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:16 pm

So i have been a little slack updating this in the last 12 months. a few things have been bolted on since my last post. they are as follows

ultimate suspension 2 inch lift
road safe front recovery points
transfer case 3mm mild steel guard
32 inch Nitto trail grappler mud terrains
spare wheel holder under the roof rack over the tub
Synthic rope has replaced the steel cable on the winch
USB charging ports in the dash
EDS scan gauge
Baintech power top 100ah gel second battery
anderson plug and cut off switch from crank battery to second battery behind rear seat
Modified rear seat to hold a 60l fridge
New battery as of today (thanks NFTF)

Her is a pic of her today

my next mod (which i have not fully committed to yet) will be crawl gears in the transfer case. I found while driving through the vic high country over easter, the gearing even in low range is just too tall for the really steep rocky stuff.
Maxiy

Postby Maxiy on Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:48 pm

Thought i would post an update

Unfortunatley this is not a happy update on all the cool thinsg i have (got a roof top tent which is cool). No this is a bad update.

Anyway to cut to the chase, went for a site visit for work on thursday, parked the ute, when and did my inspection and (15 mins or so) then went to start the car again. It made a very odd lurching, kind like i had forgot to take it out of gear. tried to start it again, it would turn over but not start. i checked all hoses, check oil, air filter, intake hoses, fuel hoses, batter connections, MAF, MAP, fuel rail etc. all looked fine.

Turned her over again and after some coffing and spluttering it kicked over, but boy was she unhappy. Sounded like it had dropped a cylinder, or was out of timing, and it had thrown a P0336 code 'Crank shaft position sensor' which made sense considering how bad it was running. I thought maybe the timing belt had jumped a tooth or something.

Anyway onto the back of a tow truck and off to the dealer.

Soon as i got it to the dealer, they whippd the timing cover off, and sure enough there was bits of blt all over the place, but the dealer mechanic said he thought it was the balancing shaft belt (iam not particularly mechanically minded, so i took his word for it)
Anyway, i had my family mechanic do the belts 18k ago, so the next day the dealer called them, and the got it towed over to their shop. They initially thought it was a tension pulley failure, as they had experianced some failures due to fault bolts, so they took responsibility for it, and said they would cover everything.

Now i got a call this afternoon, and they have stated to take the engine apart to see what happened. On closer inspection they have found that the injector pump has seized, which then caused the belts to chew themselves up. the mechanic says it could be due to poor fuel, but they will have to take the pump off, and get it inspected before they can say for sure.
Now i have had a secondary fuel filter installed (2 micro) since about 20k, so im i little unsure how bad fuel could have been the issue, however he said that he has had situations where contaminants have got passed even a 2 micron filter.

i trust my mechanic, and he has been nothing but good to me ever since my first car, so i feel it is in good hands, but it will be a very nervous waiting game, to see what exactly has gone wrong with it, and then the always pleasant game of 'Who is going to pay'

Finger crossed it wont be coming out of my pocket
Maxiy

Postby Maxiy on Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:05 pm

a little update for all those interested.

Just as i was gearing up to not have my truck over the holidays, i get a call from my mechanic who says its all fixed.

In the end they could not find exactly what was wrong.

Anyway, they have put a new injector pump in, new belts and have been testing it for the last few days to make sure it was all running smoothly.

To my surprise, he said that they would cover everything :o :D which i'am incredibly grateful for, as it didn't seem like it was anyone fault (Mitsubishi or my mechanic) so i was sure it was going to be an insurance claim

So i pick up the Triton this afternoon. Cant wait to get rid of the little Mazda 2 go cart i have been driving for the last week.
Maxiy

Postby Joel on Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:20 pm

That's a great outcome. Nice to hear a mechanic who takes some responsibility for their work done (or not done)
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:39 am

nice to get the triton back for christmas and not damage the bank balance.
have you got a chip or tune on the triton?
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Maxiy on Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:43 am

Joel wrote:That's a great outcome. Nice to hear a mechanic who takes some responsibility for their work done (or not done)

Yeah, they have always been a solid mechanic, thats why i go to them, as they will always look after you.

have you got a chip or tune on the triton?

No chip or tune. only engine mods are and egr module, k&n filter, and secondary fuel filter. otherwise it is stock as a rock
Maxiy

Postby Maxiy on Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:29 am

Bought the newest project on the weekend.

Picked up a ex army No.5 off road trailer. Starting plans are pretty simple, just get it road worthy (fix some rust, a bit of paint, adjust suspension etc) and then register it. It will be a camping pack horse for a while, until i get all the componants together to turn it into an offroad camper.

Ultimate plans are to completely fit it our with roof top tent, awning, second battery, fridge, kitchen, shower awning, joolca shower, 33' muddies.

Very excited about this next build.

Maxiy

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups